Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Freakbox posted:

You know- a bit late...but...why/how do Avians have boobs, now that I think about it...? Birds don't produce milk- they just chunder into their kids' mouths. :crossarms:

They're chunder boobs instead of milk boobs, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Freakbox posted:

You know- a bit late...but...why/how do Avians have boobs, now that I think about it...? Birds don't produce milk- they just chunder into their kids' mouths. :crossarms:
Noooooo! You must not read from the book!

IronicDongz posted:

Let's not get all DnD dragonborn debate up in here.

At this point I'm really starting to wish building blocks could be made via pixel printer. I don't understand how it'd unbalance anything to let me make soft brick blocks en masse. Makes big builds a huge hassle right now.
There's a bunch of blocks added to the basic crafting (ie, without a table) once you get the portable 3d printer upgrade, but they're 50 pixels each. I'm not sure if the Homesick mod someone here made adds blocks or just furniture - if not a dedicated block crafting station where you pay 5 pixels to make any block you've found would be totally doable, if a bit of a slog.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Freakbox posted:

The same reason the plants, robots, and fish have them

(it's a video game)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wonderful, the new patch crashes my game when I select a game mode (single, multi).

e: Oh great, my latest character is what's causing the crash. It was just working. The hell?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why do you say that?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dreadwroth posted:

Why do you say that?

That sounds like the same behavior I had when I broke a piece of gear I had equipped via modding.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Freakbox posted:

Eh- I'm sure eventually someone will come up with a non binary, asexual, or differently-gendered species. That'd be super neat. :gifttank:

Pretty sure Florans are asexual in the lore and the sexual characteristics are just a relic of the base model thing.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

PerrineClostermann posted:

Wonderful, the new patch crashes my game when I select a game mode (single, multi).

e: Oh great, my latest character is what's causing the crash. It was just working. The hell?
Delete the player folder under steam/steamapps/common/starbound. Unless you really want to keep him, then I don't know. But this fixed my similar problem.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
On Gender talk: For some reason the copper/silver/gold chest pieces have bits jutting out making it look like the character has breasts no matter the gender, at least that's how it looks to me. Or am I just crazy?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

E-Tank posted:

On Gender talk: For some reason the copper/silver/gold chest pieces have bits jutting out making it look like the character has breasts no matter the gender, at least that's how it looks to me. Or am I just crazy?

Thats how it looks to me too. I think its just bad art.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Kly posted:

Thats how it looks to me too. I think its just bad art.

Bad art, or accurate art?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Those breasts are not so shoved forwards to make them look like female breasts.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Vanadium posted:

Second one! The one that unlocks gamma.
Star Map Mk3 actually. I ended remaking all the other first four before realizing I forgot the that one and that's why I didn't have the Survival System.
It does unlock Gamma, though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Bad art. Most of the item graphics are worse. They make up for it with the sheer quantity of them.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Purple Prince posted:

Pretty sure Florans are asexual in the lore and the sexual characteristics are just a relic of the base model thing.

That's true. I think Florans and Glitch are the only races in the game that can be argued to have any kind of gender baggage right now.

For the rest you're just choosing their physical equipment (ie sex, not gender). Hell, Glitch probably have sexual equipment too being that they're striving to be like the biological races so maybe it's just Florans are wrong.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Latest update is giving me rather significant performance issues. If I play fullscreen at 2x zoom at 1920x1080, it's choppy and slow when I go into a USMC base and explore. Changing to 3x zoom and shrinking the game window made it smooth again, but I couldn't even see the Apex/Humans who were shooting at me.

Things ran pretty well under the previous patch--hoping performance can be improved somehow!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

shymog posted:

That's true. I think Florans and Glitch are the only races in the game that can be argued to have any kind of gender baggage right now.

For the rest you're just choosing their physical equipment (ie sex, not gender). Hell, Glitch probably have sexual equipment too being that they're striving to be like the biological races so maybe it's just Florans are wrong.

The Florans look pretty androgynous to me.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It can never be overstated just how :3: the Florans are.

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...

shymog posted:

Why is this an issue for people? It's a video game with cutesy graphics.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stentorian Hoot posted:

Why is this an issue for people? It's a video game with cutesy graphics.

May I direct your attention to the fact that the gender button is not a slider.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

MShadowy posted:

Hmmm... this is getting pretty funky lookin'... ah, what do you guys think of this progression?

I like the second one but the third isn't really doing it for me. Maybe make it longer instead of taller?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Could be alright if it had a central elevator shaft... the people designing custom ships consistently seem to lose all sense of what it would be like to actually play on one

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Fallom posted:

May I direct your attention to the fact that the gender button is not a slider.

There is no gender button, there is a sex button. Anything beyond that is in people's heads.

That's why it falls apart with Florans since we know they're supposed to be asexual.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

shymog posted:

There is no gender button, there is a sex button. Anything beyond that is in people's heads.

Not for Florans. They have an option for whether they have blue or red petals. :downs:

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Genocyber posted:

Not for Florans. They have an option for whether they have blue or red petals. :downs:

I thought I covered that with the second part of my post. :downs:

Point is, it would be nice to have a unisexual race or some kind of weird sci-fi fluid-sexual race (like frogs that can change sex at will) but why the hell that even matters since the game doesn't seem to do any kind of differentiation or limitation based on the choice of sex I don't see how people can see a gender issue here (outside of Florans because duh).

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If there aren't separate sex and gender sliders this game is terrible.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The current discussion is equally or more retarded than the birdtits or cum gun one, and this time we actually have a beta in hands.
Back on topic: which materials have been proven to withstand meteorites?
ALso, ahs someone reported the duplication bug with throwable blocks?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

So does the meteor shower thing only occur on certain planets, or am I just going to have to assume that no matter where I build my base it will eventually suffer the wrath of an angry god?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I like the second one but the third isn't really doing it for me. Maybe make it longer instead of taller?

I was thinking of it as an intermediary stage before making it longer, but the thing is so wacky that I'm really unsure about it. Well, I think I may have a look for the variant currently posted but I'll try making a longer one as well and see if that works better.

Jackard posted:

Could be alright if it had a central elevator shaft... the people designing custom ships consistently seem to lose all sense of what it would be like to actually play on one

Yeah, I've been thinking about how you'd get around the ship. It's actually likely to be pretty long in the final stage with my current plans for it, so if they're planning some means of quick traveling around I'll need to add a few nodes so the player can avoid too much tedium walking to and fro. At this size it's probably not too terrible but an elevator is definitely a good idea. At the least I don't plan for the ship to really get any taller.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 24, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

shymog posted:

I thought I covered that with the second part of my post. :downs:

Point is, it would be nice to have a unisexual race or some kind of weird sci-fi fluid-sexual race (like frogs that can change sex at will) but why the hell that even matters since the game doesn't seem to do any kind of differentiation or limitation based on the choice of sex I don't see how people can see a gender issue here (outside of Florans because duh).

It'd just be cool is all. I actually like that the Glitch are so hilariously performative and it's so obvious that they're just aping how they think civilization "should" be.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Machine pistols are hilariously overpowered in alpha sector with Anime Schoolgirl's modpack. I have one with an rof of 15 and 1 energy cost that does 2-4 damage (averaging 3ish) instead of the listed 1, giving me something close to 45 dps instead of the listed 15. It also juggles anything I catch in midair.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If memory serves the Glitch are just simulating an actual, living race and that's why they have two "genders" despite it being absolutely unnecessary for robots to have a gender. When they want to produce offspring two Glitch of different genders get together and build a new Glitch. No sex, no growing up from a baby robot, they just get together and build a new one.

I like it because it seems like the sort of thing that would be left behind in the wake of a race advanced enough to create entire simulated civilizations and populate multiple worlds with them. It just stinks of something an extremely advanced and extremely bored race would do just to see what would happen.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
This game is already full of loving gold.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/speed-booster.414/

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

Machine pistols are hilariously overpowered in alpha sector with Anime Schoolgirl's modpack.

I misread this and realized what this game needs is an anime schoolgirl backpack, like one shaped like a small animal or Pokemon or whatever.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I misread this and realized what this game needs is an anime schoolgirl backpack, like one shaped like a small animal or Pokemon or whatever.

I can't think of a single game that would not be improved by letting me run around with a pink anime kitty on my back. It certainly works in Saints Row.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

But can you shinespark?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

But can you shinespark?

A new gif was posted on Reddit yesterday.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
The gigantic craftable weapon mod still needs a few names - namely human weapon names. It's odd how all the other races filled up so quickly, but humans are filling up last. We could use one more push. Thanks for any assistance.

http://goo.gl/Xs5wOs

The bigger the pun, the better. Could use some help with human weapons, but other races still have a few holes as well. I think Hylotl is the only one that's finished.

Edit: Holy crap goon rush on a spreadsheet... http://screencast.com/t/fNqfQX6Yy

Thanks guys. Mod should be neat.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 24, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tier 10 column E, jesus loving christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Revol posted:

A new gif was posted on Reddit yesterday.

:flashfap:

Now this is something that Chucklefish needs to add officially.

• Locked thread