Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Wild T posted:

This reminds me of a hilariously ineffective and fun way I used to screw with a friend in Tiberian Sun. Neither of us tended to be very good, so matches would devolve into both of us turtling and building massive armies for a late-game slugfest. We'd harass each other with super weapon fire, knock out SAMs and attempt to blow up production with suicide squads of aircraft. Then I discovered the Cronenberg Crash.

One of Nod's superweapons was a ballistic missile loaded with corrosive and mutagenic Tiberium Gas. It would release green clouds that would eat away at armor, but had a far more sinister effect on infantry. The lucky ones would die outright. The poor souls left would be reduced to quivering, amoeba-bloke globs of flesh called a Visceroid. They wander the map harmlessly, likely begging for death. But if two come close enough they will merge into a larger, tougher and more murderous blob that becomes highly aggressive to everyone, lashing out with vicious pseudopods that rend tank armor.

My strategy was a simple one, a modified version of the Nod engineer rush. If my opponent failed to lay concrete down over every inch of his base, he would soon be greeted by five APCs drilling out from the ground, loaded with cheap rifle infantry. Then the chemical missile rained down and his inner base became a hellish landscape of poison gas, melted humans and raging abominations.

There's an even cheaper version of this: send out your infantry to annoy your enemy by attaking their tiberuim (resource) collectors, then run them into the field of corrosive crystals(?) to die and blobbify with the same mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Enallyniv posted:

"human being"
"human being"
"...human being"
"gay"
"these kids"
"GAY"
"Fuckin' human being"

Holy poo poo, the way this guy talks makes me want to see each and every death he receives. Keep fighting the good fight, guys.

It's almost worth listening to him as he spends the next 5 minutes trying to act nonchalant while complaining and making excuses for how he's totally not bad at the game and the guy that killed him is bad and he DEFINITELY did not just ragequit.

If we're talking about people attempting to talk their way out of looking bad, allow me to introduce Gullen15.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qQCa0KqJ6hI

He's incredibly bad. It's pretty simple to find videos on YouTube of his failures, but here's a taste.

Also there are a few videos of him asking his stream chat if any of them are girls because he needs help learning how to talk to them and he's willing to pay.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Also there are a few videos of him asking his stream chat if any of them are girls because he needs help learning how to talk to them and he's willing to pay.
I'm no expert by any means but I'm preeeetty sure saying that you're willing to pay is not a good way to go about it. Still, it opens up for clever girls to troll him for money. I approve.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Thumbtacks posted:

If we're talking about people attempting to talk their way out of looking bad, allow me to introduce Gullen15.

~i am the chess master~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWkSNEgrOP4

Have there been any good Starbound griefs yet or is that too low-hanging fruit with it being as buggy and alpha as it is?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Rutkowski posted:

To provide aid to this non-existant study; having my steam username "Putin is a coward" caused a lot of Russians to rage out in chryllic alphabet and bad english before the games even started. Apparently I also got a lot of reports but the name didn't break steam rules because, well, it shouldn't be offensive except for nationalist russians and really who gives a poo poo about them?

And the times I managed to humiliate opposing Russian carries with my supports or offlaners(carries are really strong endgame and in pub games they often win games almost by themselves at the end while supports and many offlaners lose a lot of their early-game efficiency fast, especially against carries) the game chat filled up really fast with slurs and curses leading me to reporting them instead because they're actually breaking the rules.

Low effort, I know, but still very fun.
As far as simple trolling goes, I use ldk_'s binds in TF2 to bait hateful people into getting very angry with me. It's pretty simple, wait for someone to use the word 'gay' or 'fag' and then I hit one of the textbinds to say something like:

~*~ please don't use gay as a pejorative ~*~
Normalizing casual or ironic homophobia helps normalize violent homophobia.

I couldn't care less about teenagers saying fag on the internet, but by god will politely asking them to stop bring about a fit of rage. They will get indignant and spend a great deal of energy trying to harass me while I just continue hitting an effortless textbind every time they use a homophobic slur. It's depressing how often players behave like this, but if there's a silver lining it's that usually someone steps in or they get banned by an admin. But I only do it because it makes them so angry. :gay:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Sanctum posted:

As far as simple trolling goes, I use ldk_'s binds in TF2 to bait hateful people into getting very angry with me. It's pretty simple, wait for someone to use the word 'gay' or 'fag' and then I hit one of the textbinds to say something like:

I couldn't care less about teenagers saying fag on the internet, but by god will politely asking them to stop bring about a fit of rage. They will get indignant and spend a great deal of energy trying to harass me while I just continue hitting an effortless textbind every time they use a homophobic slur. It's depressing how often players behave like this, but if there's a silver lining it's that usually someone steps in or they get banned by an admin. But I only do it because it makes them so angry. :gay:

Lots of goons used a swear bot mod in Wow that did pretty much the same thing but with global or trade chats (depending on the era). Incredibly low hanging fruit but the paragraphs of rage messages you would get were 100% worth it. There were automated versions of the bot too so you didn't have to do a single thing. They had really cheesy standard messages or you could make your own. I don't think I ever played Wow without it.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 29, 2013

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Sanctum posted:

I couldn't care less about teenagers saying fag on the internet, but by god will politely asking them to stop bring about a fit of rage.

This seems like a brilliant way to market an anti-hate-speech campaign. You're like the Dan Savage of video games.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Sanctum posted:

You are doing god's work (the one that doesn't hate fags).

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Lawlicaust posted:

Lots of goons used a swear bot mod in Wow that did pretty much the same thing but with global or trade chats (depending on the era). Incredibly low hanging fruit but the paragraphs of rage messages you would get were 100% worth it. There were automated versions of the bot too so you didn't have to do a single thing. They had really cheesy standard messages or you could make your own. I don't think I ever played Wow without it.

It still works. We're years down the line and there's still the occasional freakout posted in the wowplayers.txt thread caused by the Reported! addon.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

bucketmouse posted:

Have there been any good Starbound griefs yet or is that too low-hanging fruit with it being as buggy and alpha as it is?

Well, there's plenty of ways to grief it right now, I wouldn't call any of them creative or good though because it's too easy to do and no real consequences of it. I mean, you can always do the cheap minecraft grief of destroying something they've built, or abuse the glitch that lets explosions damage players to kill them, but I don't think the tools are really there yet for any actual creative griefing. Plus, being an Alpha, very few people have bothered to really build anything worth a gently caress, certainly not on an open server where someone would be able to destroy it. The best perhaps would be rendering a server's home planet unusable - each server seems to have one single planet that everyone appears at the first time they go to that server. So you could I suppose dig a massive pit under the spawn, wide enough that they can't reach safety to either side, and deep enough that falling kills... but unless it's brand new character that hasn't done anything yet, they'd probably have fuel to warp back to their ship and take off to another planet. Even if it IS a new character without any fuel they can always take it to single-player, get the fuel, and come back.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Indecisive posted:

Well, there's plenty of ways to grief it right now, I wouldn't call any of them creative or good though because it's too easy to do and no real consequences of it. I mean, you can always do the cheap minecraft grief of destroying something they've built, or abuse the glitch that lets explosions damage players to kill them, but I don't think the tools are really there yet for any actual creative griefing. Plus, being an Alpha, very few people have bothered to really build anything worth a gently caress, certainly not on an open server where someone would be able to destroy it. The best perhaps would be rendering a server's home planet unusable - each server seems to have one single planet that everyone appears at the first time they go to that server. So you could I suppose dig a massive pit under the spawn, wide enough that they can't reach safety to either side, and deep enough that falling kills... but unless it's brand new character that hasn't done anything yet, they'd probably have fuel to warp back to their ship and take off to another planet. Even if it IS a new character without any fuel they can always take it to single-player, get the fuel, and come back.

There's a mechanic that moves your warp in point down if it's unsafe (though when and how it works seems fairly random). You can still install a forest of fan blades at spawn though.

Tale
Jul 31, 2013

bucketmouse posted:

Well, as Indecisive said there isn't too much that's creative. Also, it's next to impossible to get away with poo poo because of how vast the whole game realm is. The only way you're ever going to find anyone is if you get coordinates or some players invite you to their party. In the latter, more common case, if poo poo happens they automatically know it's you.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Cross posting from my post in the 7 Days to Die thread:

quote:

So i've found a new favorite hobby.

First, make a fake base underground. Make it have a huge labyrinthine structure. We're talking, mazes upon mazes to get out. Then load the tunnel systems with explosive mines that gib a player on stepping on them. Then create a few pits filled with pungi sticks that collapse when a person steps on the wrong tile in a room. Then put a token loot chest for the occasional person who has to use his toolbar next to the bed they spawn at to give them an incentive to run the thing in case they realize what's up.

Optionally, mine out parts of the top of it and proceed to plate it down with glass, for viewing them like rats in a maze as they die trying to escape. Optionally for that option, create a pimped out giant scrap throne that they can see when they spawn in, and always refer to yourself in third person as "The Mazemaster" in casual and bombastic conversation with them. Then enjoy the fireworks and subsequent freak outs. :unsmigghh:

It's amazing how many people will run a death trap for a few empty glass jars. I may take to descending from my throne to hunt them with a fire axe too.

This game is beautiful. I need to get some pictures of the first mini-maze I set up before some pubbie blows it up out of spite.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 29, 2013

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

wuat posted:

Stream sniping people in DayZ SA is still the most fun thing you can do in the game. info\ and stgggs have been doing it a lot lately, here's a clip from earlier tonight.
We asked in chat before we sniped him to crush a can against his head for my brother Jay Owen w/ leukemia and when he refused we took him out back.
http://www.twitch.tv/zxero_/b/490707646?t=149m45s
We've been hitting a ton of people under the pseudonym "Jay Owen" and people get unbelievably angry at it.

This is from the previous page, but I can't believe how much of a pretentious prick that guy is. Is it just me, or do most of the people streaming seem to be 30s white men with the same bigoted worldview, monotone voice and anger issues.

I also don't understand the strange cult of followers these streamers gather. Their instant acceptance that the people supporting their brother with luekemia are simply fagots who are bad at the game is mind numbing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bait and Swatch posted:

Is it just me, or do most of the people streaming seem to be 30s white men with the same bigoted worldview, monotone voice and anger issues.

I'm sure this'll be the subject of someone's thesis if it isn't already. I think the answer lies in looking at the kinds of people who would have the time and energy to do this (bear in mind that people who do this "successfully" are doing it for hours a day and probably at unusual hours that wouldn't fit a 9-to-5 job very well), which I think requires someone who has significantly failed in being accepted by "normal" society but also has the resources to prop them up, like financial support from parents or some type of welfare/disability benefits. If you have a job or a girlfriend/wife you're not going to have the time and energy required to sit at your computer/console and play video games while being entertaining often enough to become an online personality. If you don't have a job or girlfriend/wife or friends you hang out with in the real world, you have the time and energy to stream often, but are also bitter about the world and have limited social skills due to being out of practice.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Bait and Swatch posted:

This is from the previous page, but I can't believe how much of a pretentious prick that guy is. Is it just me, or do most of the people streaming seem to be 30s white men with the same bigoted worldview, monotone voice and anger issues.

I also don't understand the strange cult of followers these streamers gather. Their instant acceptance that the people supporting their brother with luekemia are simply fagots who are bad at the game is mind numbing.

Here's another clip of this same guy from yesterday
http://www.twitch.tv/zxero_/b/490904309?t=9m30s
http://www.twitch.tv/zxero_/b/490904309?t=17m45s
goes on for a while

wuat fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 30, 2013

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

univbee posted:

I'm sure this'll be the subject of someone's thesis if it isn't already. I think the answer lies in looking at the kinds of people who would have the time and energy to do this (bear in mind that people who do this "successfully" are doing it for hours a day and probably at unusual hours that wouldn't fit a 9-to-5 job very well), which I think requires someone who has significantly failed in being accepted by "normal" society but also has the resources to prop them up, like financial support from parents or some type of welfare/disability benefits. If you have a job or a girlfriend/wife you're not going to have the time and energy required to sit at your computer/console and play video games while being entertaining often enough to become an online personality. If you don't have a job or girlfriend/wife or friends you hang out with in the real world, you have the time and energy to stream often, but are also bitter about the world and have limited social skills due to being out of practice.

these guys are basically the glenn beck/rush limbaugh of the gaming world.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

wuat posted:

Here's another clip of this same guy from yesterday
http://www.twitch.tv/zxero_/b/490904309?t=9m30s
http://www.twitch.tv/zxero_/b/490904309?t=17m45s
goes on for a while

Ahahahaha "I'm gonna contact Steam and if I can get any information out of them I'll just sue him"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The gooniest of all professions. :patriot:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Bait and Swatch posted:

"[P]eople who play this game have baby dicks."
-Guy playing this game

"It wasn't a ragequit, it just stopping playing until people get bored with..."
- Guy who quit a game in anger after getting shot

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Some Female Commentator (her words, not mine) went off last night about how she had a secret program that got his IP and Steam account and that Steam representatives were "on standby". She banned me from chat when I asked her if she wrote a GUI in Visual Basic. :(

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Dillbag posted:

Ahahahaha "I'm gonna contact Steam and if I can get any information out of them I'll just sue him"

I think my favorite quote is from somebody in his teamspeak, "Too bad he doesn't live close by, we could melt his router. It's so easy to melt routers if you're close to them physically. I've got a little software device that uh, mm hm. Everything's wifi these days."
And the other guy saying he was going to "Order a drone strike on his IP using bitcoins"

Phone posted:

Some Female Commentator (her words, not mine) went off last night about how she had a secret program that got his IP and Steam account and that Steam representatives were "on standby". She banned me from chat when I asked her if she wrote a GUI in Visual Basic. :(

http://www.twitch.tv/prototyperaavyn/b/490937503?t=288m25s
Here's the clip of it, don't know if you saw it yet.

wuat fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 30, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

wuat posted:

What's wrong with her face lip??? :gonk:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Poil posted:

What's wrong with her face lip??? :gonk:

Have you never seen lip piercings before?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

MizPiz posted:

Here's an article on this:
http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/loyola_university_professor_be.html

He was playing the game as intended and ignored any rules or customs that was only acknowledged by the community, which, of course, led everyone to call him a pedophile and make legitimate death threats towards him. The study's link is dead in the article, but a quick search can lead to a couple places to download it.

The goon presence in COH loved this guy for a while. We played villains on the server he chose (Protector, I think? It's been years) and would hang out in PVP zones murdering random heroes and trying to lure friendlies into his sights without getting ganked ourselves. Made a drinking game out of it one night. Every time he got one of us, we took a shot.

We got pretty hammered that night.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

wuat posted:

You left out the part where she says HUE HUE HUE.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Dillbag posted:

Lawyer something something loss of wages. I'd watch a stream of him in small claims court irritating the judge.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I love her expression when nobody falls for the dumb poo poo she was saying. Well except for her stupid fans.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
How much do people like that guy make from streaming on twitch? I can't imagine it's anything substantial.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bait and Swatch posted:

How much do people like that guy make from streaming on twitch? I can't imagine it's anything substantial.

Unless you have (ugh) PewDiePie-levels of fan hordes then you're better off flipping burgers in almost every way. And even then it's a stretch

You don't do this stuff if you have any real marketable skills, including a brain

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

"It's easy to melt routers if you're close to them, I've got a little software device..."
"You don't know how to knock down a router with a wifi software!?"

wuat posted:

Hahaha, she makes a standard Angry 15 Year Old claim that she's put on a software and now she's got their IP and like three people pop up in the chat laughing at how stupid it sounds. She immediately goes silent and starts banning everyone laughing at her.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Tonight 3 of us were stream sniping some guy in DayZ making him sing songs at gunpoint, and the Jay Owen guys got mad at us because we borrowed the can crush gimmick, so they joined in and tried to kill us. Sorry guys, we'll leave the Jay Owen to you. :)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

These are adults right? It's just so amazing listening to them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Here's an earlier video that got taken down due to the white knight brigade. It's basically just a few clips from a Twitch VOD. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x190c64_girlgamer

erotic dad posted:

Tonight 3 of us were stream sniping some guy in DayZ making him sing songs at gunpoint, and the Jay Owen guys got mad at us because we borrowed the can crush gimmick, so they joined in and tried to kill us. Sorry guys, we'll leave the Jay Owen to you. :)

You guys made him do a pretty impressive can crush, though.

e: coming soon "can crushing bandits"

Phone fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 30, 2013

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Enallyniv posted:

"It's easy to melt routers if you're close to them, I've got a little software device..."
"You don't know how to knock down a router with a wifi software!?"

Hahaha, she makes a standard Angry 15 Year Old claim that she's put on a software and now she's got their IP and like three people pop up in the chat laughing at how stupid it sounds. She immediately goes silent and starts banning everyone laughing at her.

CONSEQUENCES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Unless you have (ugh) PewDiePie-levels of fan hordes then you're better off flipping burgers in almost every way. And even then it's a stretch

You don't do this stuff if you have any real marketable skills, including a brain

I don't know if you can be this general, I quite like watching videos from the Minecrack guys, and the don't seem like massive poo poo-lord bigots, but people with legit entertaining skills.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Klungar posted:

I don't know if you can be this general, I quite like watching videos from the Minecrack guys, and the don't seem like massive poo poo-lord bigots, but people with legit entertaining skills.

True, but most of the people that are actually entertaining do not try to live off it, which is why they are entertaining. By "brainless" I meant that the idiots trying to make a living off this extremely delicate bubble tend to mass-produce very low quality materials in a desperate attempt to stay relevant

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Phone posted:

Here's an earlier video that got taken down due to the white knight brigade. It's basically just a few clips from a Twitch VOD. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x190c64_girlgamer

Please do more of this. Except on YouTube.

Also. What the gently caress at the end? It was like she was trying to be a white Bill Cosby that swallowed a tackle box.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Klungar posted:

Also presumably they enjoy it more than burger flipping. It's an eternal cliche that some people will make all kinds of material sacrifice to work as an entertainer.

I remember watching Broteam on twitch, when someone asked him "whether he has a job" and he started laughing ruefully. "This is it. This is it. Can you believe that? Can you believe how hosed the world is today, that doing this can be someone's source of income? gently caress."

What I'm saying is I think some of them have the right attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Phone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD-gN5hAcV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vfPNhr0tT0

• Locked thread