Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Once you have a character better than IM35, you'll be fine. Armored Assault was the worst offender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Finally!! My first and only Spider-Man blue cover.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DrManiac posted:

I kinda want to max Hulk's black though due to how ridiculous he gets with green regen in the higher level mission.

I think max black is probably best, although I don't know about the other two. The high-level Hulk whose black countdown tiles damage the whole team is a pain in the rear end to go up against, and it'll probably be worth quite a few people not wanting to fight your team in PvP. You might need to keep him in a sort of sweet spot with levels, though. I had an easier time with one of the higher-level Hulks because the high-but-not-too-high ones would trigger their black every single time I touched them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Finally!! My first and only Spider-Man blue cover.

Its a good start!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

Once you have a character better than IM35, you'll be fine. Armored Assault was the worst offender.
You say this, but I'm fairly sure you own Magnetos.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ghostlight posted:

You say this, but I'm fairly sure you own Magnetos.

And everybody has a Hulk.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Whelp, I just pushed myself up to 700 before bed (second place is barely 600) in the hopes that I'll survive enough crabbing to get something decent. Sadly the same tactic paints a bright read target on my back and gives a number of other folks a chance to revenge me when they wake up. Here's hoping I wind up on their Modern Widow tab and nobody wants to bother.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I pulled into fourth place somehow, just using judicious boosts and having a plan versus much higher level guys. I was aiming for the 3 wolverine covers, but I think I might actually shoot for a top ten finish for pride reasons. If I fail, I'm still pretty happy, so I'd say this tournament was my most successful run yet. As much as I want the wolverine covers, I think the coins are worth significantly more in the long term.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cranking along when I take on a relatively bad team (Modern Widow/Thor/Wolverine) who, three turns in, create a cascade that downs my level 100 Model 40 from full health and generates over 15 AP of every single colour :suicide:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Wooooooooo. Managed fifth place. Two IM40 covers and 100 HP. I'll call that a job well done for playing in a tournament with no character at 40.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
gently caress this bullshit event. The point loss is the most frustratingly retarded thing ever. I went from top 2 to out of iron man range in the last 7 minutes. Glad I spent those hours on worthless wolverine covers. Whoever decided that you should lose points should die in a fire.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Top 100 for me. Could have competed for IM40, but :effort:.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
Got top 100 in the widow tourney with widow modern which is a pretty big achievement considering my top guy is level 24 :D. Pretty proud of my self honestly.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Karnegal posted:

gently caress this bullshit event. The point loss is the most frustratingly retarded thing ever. I went from top 2 to out of iron man range in the last 7 minutes. Glad I spent those hours on worthless wolverine covers. Whoever decided that you should lose points should die in a fire.

Isn't this always the way it worked? I went to bed at 4:00 in second place, woke up at 8:00 having lost over 150 points and in 20th, with the leader over 250 points away from me. Somehow those guys never got knocked down from 600+ from what I could see. I struggled my way back up to 500+ for 8th, but oh my god was it slow going. One time I finished a match and had lost 120 points in the two minutes it took me.

Pretty happy with 8th though, since the only thing I really wanted in the higher tiers was the IM40 yellow. I've got him at 2/2/2 now, I've heard 3/5/5 is the way to go, since the yellow gets more expensive at higher levels?

e: By the way, a leveled OBW is way, way more of a pain in the rear end than I thought. I saved her for last, since I wanted to kill the guys they had with damaging abilities, and she made me use two health packs all by herself. The board was kinda stale and I was low on AP, and she just kept HEALING. Then she stole my AP, and healed again. Then I couldn't get enough AP for a Mjolnir or anything before she'd steal whatever I'd gathered. Then she healed again. Argh.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 1, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Buffed OBW along with some Wolverine strike tiles is absolutely idiotic. I was hitting for 1500-2000 damage per match with espionage. I killed a 5k health Thor with a single cascade :psyduck:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm actually going for Wolverine yellow covers because I built my original one badly and I only have one to go to max out the new one. My OBW is at 68 or 69 and those two will make a nice team with Thor or even Dr Doom to take advantage of black espionage (depending on strike tiles).

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Got the 1st place bag-woman, got my IM40 to 5/5/2 (could bring yellow to 3 but I think I'll hold off that for now), and used my winnings to buy a red Rag.:toot:

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Woo, placed first in black widow tourney. I think the best strategy for sure is to play as much as you like, making sure that you finish in first and switch to a lovely team several hours before the tourney ends. Then, with your good team, rejoin 45 minutes before it ends and turn every opponent to pulp, using boosts when necessary.

Now, should I keep this invisible woman hmm...

e: no lightning rounds this week?

iRend fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 1, 2014

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

iRend posted:

Woo, placed first in black widow tourney. I think the best strategy for sure is to play as much as you like, making sure that you finish in first and switch to a lovely team several hours before the tourney ends. Then, with your good team, rejoin 45 minutes before it ends and turn every opponent to pulp, using boosts when necessary.

Now, should I keep this invisible woman hmm...

e: no lightning rounds this week?

What would be the reasoning behind this? Is a lovely low-level team just less likely to show up in people's games?

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

GeckoMissingo posted:

What would be the reasoning behind this? Is a lovely low-level team just less likely to show up in people's games?

People with mediocre teams won't skip you, allowing you to get easier retaliations for more points at the rush to the end.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Jusstarted playing this about a week ago, and am finding that Storm (Modern), once she gets going, is almost unstoppable. Combine her with Black Widow's stun and you can basically lock down the other team and just keep erasing the board with her Green/Red abilities and stocking up on the AP you get from those and BW's Pink steal.

Either way, having a lot of fun with this so far, and now have a game that replaces Candy Crush.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Storm Modern and BW Modern have this tendency to create REALLY annoying cascades. Well, for the enemy team. I swear I'm not bitter.

PaleBlueDot fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 2, 2014

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Throw in Loki's "rearrange the board randomly" ability (or is it only random when the CPU uses it? I don't have Loki), and you have the most terrifying team I've come across. Once they had AP to pull off an ability I never had a turn again

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've had enough bullshit moves from the enemy and on my side that I know that horrible things can happen that you cant really plan for. I once wiped out an entire enemy team just with a single strike tile cast and the first match.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just stumbled onto this thread, I wish I'd known about the 13 cover limit but luckily I have my guys built properly. I have found that Astonishing Wolverine with 5 green covers is an absolute loving monster, with just a few strike tiles he hits extremely hard and can carry most fights without even being hurt at the end thanks to a couple points in his healing passive.

Why does the OP say to always keep ISO on hand? I usually just spend it on leveling people but is there some strategy to keeping it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So you can buy boosts to carry you through difficult missions.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
And as a buffer for boosting through tournaments. +3 All and +3 R/Y is 300 iso for 3 matches. You need to average 4 rewards of 140 iso every 9 rounds to stay afloat, and sometimes you just get bad strings of the 70 reward that will bankrupt you if you didn't have at least 1k in your buffer when you started.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION
So here's a thing I just figured out, the rubberbanding is updated in real-time as you progress through the missions. So you can either place high in one mission and low in the others, or average across (as it is right now) all 4. Even doing the initial unlocking missions reduces the points on the location missions.

So like if you do a 1000 point unlock mission after you have already unlocked one location, the points you can earn from that location are reduced, so you might get a couple more points overall, but it will reduce your standing in all the sightings.

Yes, it took me several hours to realise this after I had wiped out all the missions and was ranked 22, 168, 309, and 827 in order.

missions missions missions

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
It's based on how close you are to the top ranked person overall. Currently that is 23450 points. Get within a few thousand points of him and your points from missions will drop like a stone.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION
But i've done every mission so far, and cleared on every reset... how does this goddamn thing work :(

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

SynthOrange posted:

I feel like armored assault saved my rear end a lot in most cases.

But them again I'm still in lovely tier.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION

Dizz posted:

I feel like armored assault saved my rear end a lot in most cases.

But them again I'm still in lovely tier.

Game gets 100x as fun when you get a 5 green on wolverine. I can't speak for Thor, mine's still only at 3/3/3

Eddain
May 6, 2007

iRend posted:

Game gets 100x as fun when you get a 5 green on wolverine. I can't speak for Thor, mine's still only at 3/3/3

5 green on Wolverine and 5 red on Ragnarok makes everything hilarious.

Except that Women's Only tournament. That was such a drag.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I found it pretty fun and a good change of pace. Also got to drag Storm Modern out for a bit since she's got board clearing and env gathering. Forgot how useful she is, especially in forest maps.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Looking like I can only get 2 top 100s this time. 1450 points behind the overall leader and sitting 83rd, 98th, 119th, & 160th.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh man. I did too well on the last tournament, and now I'm in a serious person bracket with level 70 guys running amok all over the place. Level 70 Wolverine makes me cry.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

So you can buy boosts to carry you through difficult missions.
Where can you buy boosts? I went looking for it in the interface yesterday and couldn't figure out how to do it.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Tibeerius posted:

Where can you buy boosts? I went looking for it in the interface yesterday and couldn't figure out how to do it.

When you are selecting them for a mission you have the option to buy them if you don't have any of that type. Also you cannot buy boosts you haven't found yet.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Largepotato posted:

Also you cannot buy boosts you haven't found yet.
Well, that strikes me as pretty stupid, but that is definitely the problem I am having. I haven't burned any of my boosts down to zero yet; I've been hanging on to them like Elixirs in a JRPG. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Tibeerius posted:

Well, that strikes me as pretty stupid, but that is definitely the problem I am having. I haven't burned any of my boosts down to zero yet; I've been hanging on to them like Elixirs in a JRPG. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Since you always get 3 of any boost you earn as a reward and they max out at 10, you should always be using any boosts over 7. There's no point letting them go to waste.