Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Putty posted:

i hope you have gills cause you're getting dump in a river with cinderblocks on your legs

this escalated quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Damiya posted:

I would honestly like more recommendations on good post apocalypse reading because it is an interesting topic.

Anyone have suggestions?

Earth Abides is super super good.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Kimmalah posted:

I thought it was better mostly because it didn't come off as some kind of weirdo survivalist power fantasy. Yeah the man and his son are surviving the apocalypse, but they're just barely making it, the tiniest things are the most valuable and it's made clear that the best strategy is to run/hide/avoid conflict rather than "Grab a shotgun and let's DO this. :clint: " And in the end one of them still dies from realistic stuff like illness and a fairly minor wound instead of going out in a blaze of glory.

I also liked that it didn't really bother explaining what actually happened to the world because in the end that wasn't the point.

Yeah, it was very focussed on the human relationship. Its really unrealistic when people are just running around with their big guns and having a great time shooting the baddies. That simple escapism is what movies are for, literature is a better medium for exploring more complex stuff.

You wouldn't think I just finished making fun of my sister's English Lit degree for being useless and made up. (I don't actually believe it but she gets so hilariously mad)

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

boom boom boom posted:

which is worse, quarantine 2 or REC 3?

I hated the first quarantine so much i didn't watch the sequel but I can't imagine anything worse than rec 3

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Shannonmcn posted:

You wouldn't think I just finished making fun of my sister's English Lit degree for being useless and made up. (I don't actually believe it but she gets so hilariously mad)

i had a pre-med friend who did this when i was still an Eng-Lit major back in the day. i laughed at him for being a goony gently caress

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

burritos

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Women's Rights? posted:

I hated the first quarantine so much i didn't watch the sequel but I can't imagine anything worse than rec 3

how could you like rec but hate quarantine, isn't it basically a shot for shot remake?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

boom boom boom posted:

how could you like rec but hate quarantine, isn't it basically a shot for shot remake?

No no its not. They fleshed out the reporter and the cameraman unnecessarily (nobody watching rec was going "well this is scary but im curious to learn more about the characters) and they toned down a lot of the tension

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Wildlife Analysis posted:

i had a pre-med friend who did this when i was still an Eng-Lit major back in the day. i laughed at him for being a goony gently caress

In actuality I'm just jealous she was allowed to do a degree she enjoyed when I was encouraged to do one with a job at the end of it. I'm miserable and I hate my PhD and also I am a goony gently caress.

Also also there are no drat jobs. I might as well have spent 3 years reading books instead of memorising derivations I'll never use.

teenytinymouse fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 4, 2014

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

they definitely are the bomb

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Shannonmcn posted:

Yeah, it was very focussed on the human relationship. Its really unrealistic when people are just running around with their big guns and having a great time shooting the baddies. That simple escapism is what movies are for, literature is a better medium for exploring more complex stuff.

Heh well actually I've never read the book, I'm only going by the movie version here.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Wicker Man posted:

Oddly enough, I liked the little "random stories of survivors that we based all of this data on" the most about that book.

This is from the last page and probably the book's been mentioned earlier, but you've read World War Z, haven't you? That's entirely stories of survivors--kind of like a modern "people's history" book. I like it more than the survival guide, but then, I typically like nonfiction people's history articles more than nonfiction survival guides.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Shannonmcn posted:

In actuality I'm just jealous she was allowed to do a degree she enjoyed when I was encouraged to do one with a job at the end of it. I'm miserable and I hate my PhD and also I am a goony gently caress.

Also also there are no drat jobs.

yeah, my position has always been to do what makes you happy. basing your entire existence around employment is a really hollow way to live, and anyone who goes to school for that purpose is unlikely to end up a happy person. i'd rather have a world of english majors that all enjoy their life than 6 billion goony, miserable code monkeys because it's practical or w/e

people forget, too, that a lot of the skills you need for employment can be picked up outside of school. you don't need to be a comp sci major to work in IT or a trade

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Boners.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tjadeth posted:

This is from the last page and probably the book's been mentioned earlier, but you've read World War Z, haven't you? That's entirely stories of survivors--kind of like a modern "people's history" book. I like it more than the survival guide, but then, I typically like nonfiction people's history articles more than nonfiction survival guides.

I'm a big huge nerd, so I personally really like stories that talk about the medical process of a zombie infection. Like I think I was the only person on the planet who enjoyed the CDC storyline in The Walking Dead because of that alone.

But voodoo spells are cool too. :v:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

yeah, my position has always been to do what makes you happy. basing your entire existence around employment is a really hollow way to live, and anyone who goes to school for that purpose is unlikely to end up a happy person. i'd rather have a world of english majors that all enjoy their life than 6 billion goony, miserable code monkeys because it's practical or w/e

people forget, too, that a lot of the skills you need for employment can be picked up outside of school. you don't need to be a comp sci major to work in IT or a trade
I wanted to write magic novels. Or books about ponies. Its really better that I not be allowed to pursue that if I was ever going to leave mum's house.

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:

All Of The Dicks posted:

are you a Juggalette?

nope

came up with it trying to think of a xbox live username & i thought it was funny idk

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Downside of my "Straight Outta Compton" sweater. My 12 year old has downloaded both NWA albums and "Today was a good day." We already have them on CD but hadn't introduced the kids to true gangsta rap yet. Oops. On the upside, he is now listening to Tears For Fears.

Also, I love Burritos. I miss California for nail shops, burritos and my friends. That is all.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Shannonmcn posted:

I wanted to write magic novels. Or books about ponies. Its really better that I not be allowed to pursue that if I was ever going to leave mum's house.

maybe you have a really nice mum idk

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I have a degree in fine art and double-minored in art history and romantic literature. I'm actually perfectly happy working a brainless day job that pays okay while doing my own stuff and volunteering in the arts in my spare time. I have a roof over my head and nice clothes and everything.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I'm getting a PhD in chemistry

I have no idea what I want to do with it any more

my current Ideal Dream Career is 'open a cat cafe in the hipster quarter of the city so that I get to hang out with cats all day every day' (yes I know this will never happen)

don't be me

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

I have a degree in fine art and double-minored in art history and romantic literature. I'm actually perfectly happy working a brainless day job that pays okay while doing my own stuff and volunteering in the arts in my spare time. I have a roof over my head and nice clothes and everything.

I have a degree in anthropology. It always causes two reactions: (1) What IS that? Is it where you study bugs and stuff? (2) Why did you major in it, I mean what the hell do you do with a degree like that?"

Valid points, but it's maddening after a while.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

vaguely posted:

my current Ideal Dream Career is 'open a cat cafe in the hipster quarter of the city so that I get to hang out with cats all day every day' (yes I know this will never happen)

don't be me

being a doctoral student is terrible and i can only add my support to any poor soul reading this that god, you dream of anything else, anything that will get you away. it's a job that has no hours because it is all the hours.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

pure ableism! not all of us can afford to "get a degree" on a subject that makes us "happy"!

I struggle to even make it to the shower once a week and

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Kimmalah posted:

I have a degree in anthropology. It always causes two reactions: (1) What IS that? Is it where you study bugs and stuff? (2) Why did you major in it, I mean what the hell do you do with a degree like that?"

My pet peeve is people asking me what jobs I can get with my degree. If I become a crazy high school science teacher then so be it, it's a personal achievement and interest thing. Not every decision has to be made with a cost-benefit analysis.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

vaguely posted:

don't be me

cook meth, alternatively make bombs for al qaeda

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

vaguely posted:

don't be me

Getting PhD in Marine Concrete. Want to open either a bar/restaurant (now with cats) or a stables for young poor kids who can't afford horses. Neither will ever happen, I'm stuck at a desk/ lab forever.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

I'm seriously considering a minor in anthropology to go with my poli sci degree, I probably won't use it but it's super interesting stuff

bioanth was cool, I learned about monkeys and skulls and stuff

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Wendigee posted:

pure ableism! not all of us can afford to "get a degree" on a subject that makes us "happy"!

I struggle to even make it to the shower once a week and

i'm sorry about your autism

realtalk: my early Anth classes are what got me into natural sciences in the first place.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

My pet peeve is people asking me what jobs I can get with my degree. If I become a crazy high school science teacher then so be it, it's a personal achievement and interest thing. Not every decision has to be made with a cost-benefit analysis.

this is basically my goal, I'm gonna teach government and make kids actually interested in how lovely our class system is

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Pick posted:

being a doctoral student is terrible and i can only add my support to any poor soul reading this that god, you dream of anything else, anything that will get you away. it's a job that has no hours because it is all the hours.

I don't have a degree, so I know nothing of academia. But a doctoral degree seems like you're paying someone to be miserable.

(Although my sister is a Doctor for animals and didn't seem miserable in Vet school . . .) My current "plan" for life is to retire and be a full time student, but everyone who is makes it seem like pure drudgery. Maybe I'll just be a hobo.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yeah it seems to boggle some people's minds that yes you can get a job in field unrelated to your major. So everyone always either wonders what I'm going to do or thinks I'm going to become an archaeologist. Solely with my B.A. :stonklol:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
seriously my intention is to finish my phd and then just stare blankly at it for several years while crying

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

The Brown Menace posted:

cook meth, alternatively make bombs for al qaeda

where do the cats come in

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
getting your phd is walking to work at 3am in winter in minnesota thinking "if i slip and fall down and hit my head and fall unconscious i will literally die out here and that's probably okay"

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

"I sure hope this experiment explodes because if I lose a finger at least I have an excuse for not having any results this month that isn't 'I'm really bad at science, I thought you knew this already'"

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

poopkitty posted:

Also, I love Burritos. I miss California for nail shops, burritos and my friends. That is all.

Gonna go eat a burrito in your honor forums poster poopkitty

(I should probably get my nails done too, tbh)

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

If this dust got into my lungs and killed me, everyone in the office would think that was super interesting and I wouldn't have to do this anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

The thing is, what makes me happy is cocaine and hot tubs and oppressing people, and that takes money.

• Locked thread