Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wildlife Analysis posted:

I initially read this as "pro tip toe, knee, hand"

I think I like it better that way

I thought about putting the username in quotations but that seemed like a coward's way out.

Sonrisa posted:

"I have licked your heirs from my fingers and ate them all..."

or something like that. Jesus, those books.

Yeah that's the sticky princes bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
they're kind of a mix of chick lit and romance but i've read some books by jennifer crusie and they're funny and have strong female characters who end up with good guys so :shrug:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
To be fair to GRRM, there are probably much worse descriptions out there.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Never be fair to nerds

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I actually feel better about owning a copy of twilight than I do about owning a copy of game of thrones

(I bought the twilight book to see firsthand how bad the writing really was, I assumed at the time that if it was popular it couldn't really be that bad (it was))

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

AriadneThread posted:

Never be fair to nerds

I don't know why, but I love the fact that his job titles are literally "Fantasy author/steamboat captain." :spergin:

Portals posted:

I actually feel better about owning a copy of twilight than I do about owning a copy of game of thrones

(I bought the twilight book to see firsthand how bad the writing really was, I assumed at the time that if it was popular it couldn't really be that bad (it was))

My friend gave me the first two. They were so bad. Although nothing tops the birth of ~*~Renesmee~*~

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Unless he's used the phrase "quivering quim" and I blocked it out, he's not the world's worst describer of genitals

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
after christmas i have the game of thrones (books) boxset and i doubt i will read even one of the books

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 4, 2014

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

The most perfect smokey eyes I've ever had have been from waking up after falling asleep with makeup on. I'm always a little upset to wash it off when that happens
Okay I'm glad that happens to someone else. One of these days if I have a thing in the evening I'm gonna put my eye stuff on noonish and then take a long nap and see if the magic happens

e: yikes, sorry, I had the thread open last night and sniped your post

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Unless he's used the phrase "quivering quim" and I blocked it out, he's not the world's worst describer of genitals

I don't know, "sticky princes" kind of made me gag while I was eating. And I've outright swallowed semen before.

(Spoilered for possible gross)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I think you're supposed to be kind of grossed out by Cersei, though

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know, "sticky princes" kind of made me gag while I was eating. And I've outright swallowed semen before.

(Spoilered for possible gross)

is that actually gross to people? jesus what's wrong with me

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

It wouldn't be the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm

Crow Jane posted:

I think you're supposed to be kind of grossed out by Cersei, though

Yeah, toward the end of the series she's described as a wrinkling sagging bit of dried out vag.

Erm... spoiler.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Synonamess Botch posted:

I'm in the same boat. I don't get it

And Cersei's one of my favorite Game of Thrones characters. She's so dumb and evil and incompetent, I love her

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
I like her eyebrows, they're really striking

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
How the gently caress do primitive fantasy races know about sperm cells? Did they squint really hard to see them?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
it turns out that fantasy authors have a problem with anachronism

who knew

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Pick posted:

How the gently caress do primitive fantasy races know about sperm cells? Did they squint really hard to see them?

this stuff bugs me too

although this is what folks thought about sperm back in the 1600s when sperm were discovered:

yep the whole baby comes from the sperm, the mom has nothing to do with the baby aside from acting as storage

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Wildlife Analysis posted:

it turns out that fantasy authors have a problem with anachronism

who knew

well we'll make women subservient because we've set our fantasy novel in a feudal society and "that's what it was like" but we'll selectively ignore any other characteristics of that kind of society if we feel like it

gently caress fantasy

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Pick posted:

Maesters or something, I guess? I'm ready to forgive a lot of dumb poo poo in a fantasy setting, because I keep telling myself their world is different from ours. It's all escapism anyway, I can let stuff slide.

In a real life thing, though, dumb inconsistencies piss me right the gently caress off. We were watching The Untouchables the other night because we'd never seen it. It's a pretty terrible movie, but the point where I had to turn it off was when someone was clearly wearing a rayon nightgown in a time when rayon didn't exist

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Portals posted:

this stuff bugs me too

although this is what folks thought about sperm back in the 1600s when sperm were discovered:

yep the whole baby comes from the sperm, the mom has nothing to do with the baby aside from acting as storage

you can thank aristotle for that, he pioneered the "man spooges tiny baby" theory

loving turd of a greek

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

toe knee hand posted:

well we'll make women subservient because we've set our fantasy novel in a feudal society and "that's what it was like" but we'll selectively ignore any other characteristics of that kind of society if we feel like it

gently caress fantasy

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Pick posted:

you can thank aristotle for that, he pioneered the "man spooges tiny baby" theory

loving turd of a greek

greeks had some weird ideas

don't jerk off, your sperm is your life essence and you will become weak and frail

also, it's totally fine for a god to rape a lady in a temple and then have her get turned into medusa for sullying a temple because it's totally her fault

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Portals posted:

don't jerk off, your sperm is your life essence and you will become weak and frail

Pretty sure plenty of dudes like the No Fap movement still think this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

toe knee hand posted:

gently caress fantasy

To be fair Game of Thrones is actually pretty good about that for fantasy. It has a decent amount of varied female characters with various strengths, weaknesses, styles, and levels of success/failure. I unironically love Sansa Stark's growth. That said it's still at best the king of poo poo mountain and is garbage.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair Game of Thrones is actually pretty good about that for fantasy. It has a decent amount of varied female characters with various strengths, weaknesses, styles, and levels of success/failure. I unironically love Sansa Stark's growth. That said it's still at best the king of poo poo mountain and is garbage.

yea i wasn't talking about game of thrones specifically as much as fantasy as a genre

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
women in power breaks my suspension of disbelief

*orcs*

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Synonamess Botch posted:

I don't know, obviously it's not to me but I wanted to kind of cover my rear end just in case.

Pick posted:

loving turd of a greek

Wasn't he also the one that was convinced the uterus was like a wild animal that wandered around in women's bodies and made them crazy? Or was that Hippocrates? I know it was some Greek dude.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

toe knee hand posted:

gently caress fantasy

believe me, i have no love for fantasy either. genre fiction generally doesn't do poo poo for me. it doesn't help that fantasy/sci-fi seems to be a great outlet for latent racism/sexism/phobias for grognard authors.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
People getting mad about make believe ITT.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Wasn't he also the one that was convinced the uterus was like a wild animal that wandered around in women's bodies and made them crazy? Or was that Hippocrates? I know it was some Greek dude.

that was hippocrates and his idea of hysteria, derived from "hysterikos", which meant "suffering in the uterus"

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

VendaGoat posted:

it's fantasy. you can set it in whatever kind of society you want. so why do you set in a society that is sexist and classist?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

toe knee hand posted:

it's fantasy. you can set it in whatever kind of society you want. so why do you set in a society that is sexist and classist?

Have you read a paragraph from any history book about the time period most fantasy settings are in?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

VendaGoat posted:

Have you read a paragraph from any history book about the time period most fantasy settings are in?

why choose that time period though?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I'm not a huge fantasy reader, but if you're not reading books because they don't jibe with your beliefs you're missing out on a lot of good books.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

toe knee hand posted:

because those were the good old days of dragons and orcs

oh wait

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

VendaGoat posted:

i'm not mad about fantasy/other genre fiction, i just tend to think it's total poo poo. this is what spending too much time in literary analysis classes has done to me

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
I dislike most fantasy novels but China Mieville writes some really great female characters, plus his books are just a lot of fun

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

toe knee hand posted:

i mean i am p sure that no more wizards existed in the 1200s than exist now (i.e. 0)

e f b

Portals posted:

because those were the good old days of dragons and orcs

oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

toe knee hand posted:

Future is sci-fi. Past, Arthurian legend is fantasy. In most peoples opinions.

Then you get a mix like the "Dragon Riders Of Pern."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonriders_of_Pern

Crow Jane posted:

I'm not a huge fantasy reader, but if you're not reading books because they don't jibe with your beliefs you're missing out on a lot of good books.

gently caress'n Eh Sister.

• Locked thread