Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

coyo7e posted:

They should just give new characters a temporary buff that improves the deconstructor by like 100% for 5 minutes.
It's intentional to increase the size of the modding community - they character wipe and give you the crappy Matter Manipulator so people go off and learn how to mod and give themselves the Diamond Drill recipe for 1px, and then probably mess around some more and make awesome stuff :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

xzzy posted:

No the real problem with a fresh character is the unbalanced boss fights that every single one of us cheeses to win. :colbert:
Which one? They all seem pretty doable so far, I remember got way over-equipped for the UFO but by the time I confronted it, it was way more balanced and I could sleepwalk through the fight even without a gun.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

xzzy posted:

No the real problem with a fresh character is the unbalanced boss fights that every single one of us cheeses to win. :colbert:

I think i use the terrain tool more than my actual weapon to cheese pretty much every fight. The AI is rather stupid, so you can literally box them or yourself in, then abuse map geometry to kill them. Hopefully will change in the future.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
edit: nevermind, they're gone.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Sticking my head back in here to ask: Where do we stand in terms of wipes and future wipes? I've gotten into some other games in the meantime and I'm just waiting for the right time to dive back in to Starbound.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've only fought up to the Brain Bot, but I fought that one in a proper running battle with Steel Armor and a Steel Spear (Though the energy dash I had helped to get some distance and bandage heal without just being lit on fire more).

The UFO boss was more BS than the Brain Bot not because of it's damage or it's summoning an Army (SURPRISE! The T1 Wildlife wandering into the boss battle hurts me more than the gun wielding penguins because animal projectiles >>>>>> Guns :shepface:), but because of how much of a bitch it is to even HIT the "Tier 1 Boss", with Tier 1 gear.

The Brain Bot may hurt more, but at least you can actually FIGHT the thing without jumping through hoops or searching for Gear well past the quality you can make yourself once you beat it.

I know all the bosses are sorta placeholders right now, but I can't help but feel the Brain Bot makes a better first boss for starting out than the UFO, especially for new players who don't realize or even know "Keep hopping planets/google a spreadsheet so I can find a shotgun so I can unlock steel swords without wanting to kill myself."

Verranicus posted:

Sticking my head back in here to ask: Where do we stand in terms of wipes and future wipes? I've gotten into some other games in the meantime and I'm just waiting for the right time to dive back in to Starbound.

Beta phase one basically means Wipes Mc Wipertons Do Not Play If You Hate Starting Over. While there is only one more stated enforced Character wipe waiting in the wings, there will 99% odds/confirmed but I haven't read such myself of more cases where it's all "You have to start a new character to experience the latest new things" or Oops we erased your ship data.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 7, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Verranicus posted:

There's going to be one more character wipe, in the next patch, but they haven't said how soon that patch will be.
There may still be ship/planet wipes after that, depending on how they change planet generation and/or add custom shipbuilding and such things. However you will at least be able to save your character (techs/recipes/etc) and anything they've got on them so it's not like starting from scratch, at least.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

xzzy posted:

I did all of them legit first try, y'all need to step it up. :colbert:

Pilchenstein posted:

I really don't understand why you'd play either game if you weren't bringing at least some motivation to build with you. It'd be like playing Minecraft for the rpg elements.
Terraria is more about the rpg elements, though. For most anyways. It's a game about exploring and beating up all the different 2D bosses with your gear you got exploring.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Cool idea: extremely hostile desert planet type that has a super rare mineral that let's you do nutty things like fill up your gas tank to full with one piece.

Also sandworms.

The spice must flow.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Verranicus posted:

I really wish someone would just change the title to Starbound - THE NEXT PATCH WILL BE THE LAST CHARACTER WIPE, IN SPACE already because god drat.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Quick modding question: How do you determine what direction the object faces in .structure files?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I don't get the obsession with character wipes, it's not an MMO, and you can just install a mod that gives you all the upgrades from the get go?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

I don't get the obsession with character wipes, it's not an MMO, and you can just install a mod that gives you all the upgrades from the get go?

Some people like doing the normal progression, not just modding themselves into godmode right away? It really isn't that confusing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ColHannibal posted:

This is the kind of game where doing things the correct way can create a large involvement with your character, and having that all be gone in one instant is cause for alarm. Yeah it's a beta whatever, but installing a cheat mod to get back to where you were feels hollow in comparison to playing for hours and achieving things legitimately.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Pilchenstein posted:

I really don't understand why you'd play either game if you weren't bringing at least some motivation to build with you. It'd be like playing Minecraft for the rpg elements.

I like starbound and I don't really care about building.

I like to explore, though and it's really cool to explore things other people have built. The 420yoloswag server had an awesome Mooninite building, a ridiculously high castle made out of pink glass, and subway that goes all the way around the world. One of the players has a ship that is full of lockers of extra goodies like musical instruments and costumes.

It's fun to look at all of the awesome stuff people who like building have done, and I don't have to fuss with doing it myself.

Now that I think of it I probably would build if this stuff wasn't so transitive. It only takes one bored guy with a pickaxe and 15 minutes to ruin hours of work.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
So is the magma layer basically the "floor" of a planet? I got down to one and tried to run some water into it to see if I could cool a portion of it but nothing happened. I just climbed all the way out at that point :(

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

So is the magma layer basically the "floor" of a planet. I got down to one and tried to run some water into it to see if I could cool a portion of it but nothing happened. I just climbed all the way out at that point :(
Yup, that's exactly how it works. There's actual regular lava which you probably saw on your way down, I think you can cool that. You can't do anything with the core though except make a base in it :v:

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I actually did not see any magma on the way down. I just got to a point where it was a completely even sea of red.

I DID pass through a snowy layer somewhere in the middle :confused:

I'm pretty much not sure what to do now. I've just entered the beta sector and...not really sure what my motivation should be at this point in the game. I basically have my pickaxe, armor, and some cool weapons and techs I found like a nifty double jump tech and a typhoon sword. I'm worried if I make a base on a planet that isn't my home, I'll leave it and not be able to find my way back :v:

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
So I checked the OP and Steam Group, but is there a thread in the private server with anyone hosting a server? Because I love this game, I'm having a blast and I think playing with other people would be even better!maybe something after the next wipe or something!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Why are you guys all still using pickaxes? Get yourself a Drill and never use a pickaxe or hatchet again. The drill works on everything and you can upgrade them pretty easy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Trastion posted:

Why are you guys all still using pickaxes? Get yourself a Drill and never use a pickaxe or hatchet again. The drill works on everything and you can upgrade them pretty easy.

Because drills don't show up until tech level 4 and I imagine most of the people talking about pickaxes are still on tech level 1-2? :ssh:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

CJacobs posted:

I really wish someone would just change the title to Starbound - THE NEXT PATCH WILL BE THE LAST CHARACTER WIPE, IN SPACE already because god drat.

To be fair, the last several character wipes have made mention of hopefully being the last character wipe.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

New Leaf posted:

To be fair, the last several character wipes have made mention of hopefully being the last character wipe.
There's only been one character wipe, and it didn't claim to be the last one.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Thanks for the info. Honestly, the character wipes bother me the least. As someone who gets their jollies in these games from building stuff, it's the universe wipes that I'm waiting to be done with. Not gonna invest any significant time into building my city-planet until I'm sure the wipes are done with.

VVV EDIT: And I wouldn't say I was bitching so much as just looking for an update? I uninstalled the game so I can't just look at the launcher for the little news blurbs, and I trust goons to fill me in.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 7, 2014

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
:qq: "IF STARBOUND WHY CHAR WIPE" :qq:

Maybe everyone bitching about character wipes can wait until release before playing it seriously? God drat, it says on the SPLASH SCREEN from day one that wipes will happen. Stop being dumb.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can also turn off Steam updates for the game and never risk a character wipe ever again. Then when new features come out you can decide whether to keep old saves or try something new.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Verdugo posted:

seeing people going "OMGZ NOT MY CHAR WIPE" :colbert: is retarded.
I'm not really seeing people here doing that, though.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Kyrosiris posted:

Because drills don't show up until tech level 4 and I imagine most of the people talking about pickaxes are still on tech level 1-2? :ssh:

Ahh that makes sense i guess. I got a drill from a friend early on so i thought you could craft them early.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I put 11 hours into this game really quickly when I got it a few weeks ago, and I've personally just been playing other stuff until the next wipe happens. I'll have lots of updates to catch up on, which is exciting! I don't care too much about wipes, but since it's been so long since I've played I might as well keep waiting it out.

The real struggle will be trying to make a character that isn't a Floran.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
It'd be nice if they just said "gently caress off" to everyone crying about character wipes. Them having to make sure they don't change anything that maybe possibly breaks saves in every patch is going to make updates take longer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dezztroy posted:

It'd be nice if they just said "gently caress off" to everyone crying about character wipes.

That's exactly what they do, isn't it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Verdugo posted:

:qq: "IF STARBOUND WHY CHAR WIPE" :qq:

Maybe everyone bitching about character wipes can wait until release before playing it seriously? God drat, it says on the SPLASH SCREEN from day one that wipes will happen. Stop being dumb.

I've seen 0 people acting like that outside of the Starbound forum and that place is a gaping hole of smartness so I'm really not sure who you're talking to here.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Fellow goonman Cake Bandit and I have put together a cool mod for cool people, Duck Nukem; It lets you make a gun that shoots a Dukeduck which explodes into a bunch of smaller ducks, which also explode! :black101:

If any of you other modding fellows can manage to get our custom firing sound working (It's in the mod, but won't play for whatever reason) it'd be mighty appreciated; Using custom sounds is apparently the part of Starbound's code that sucks butts in hell.

VVV :saddowns: Gone like 20 hours without sleep. CAN YOU TELL? Anyways, Download it here, sorry about that :saddowns:

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 7, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

xzzy posted:

No, it's what they said they were going to do (with updates coming really quickly), there was a wipe on what, the first day? Then after that they've been totally gunshy about it and tried their best to avoid disrupting people's saves.

Desideratus posted:

Fellow goonman Cake Bandit and I have put together a cool mod for cool people, Duck Nukem; It lets you make a gun that shoots a Dukeduck which explodes into a bunch of smaller ducks, which also explode! :black101:

If any of you other modding fellows can manage to get our custom firing sound working (It's in the mod, but won't play for whatever reason) it'd be mighty appreciated; Using custom sounds is apparently the part of Starbound's code that sucks butts in hell.

Got a link for it?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

I'm worried if I make a base on a planet that isn't my home, I'll leave it and not be able to find my way back :v:

Little known secret: the lines on your starmap show you the path you've traveled through the stars, you can follow them back to find where you've been. If you use visit random planets a lot, though, this path can be rendered a bit useless since the map doesn't scroll very fast and your stars may be very far apart.

Works well if you're just visiting planets all in the same region of a sector, though.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

xzzy posted:

As Pilchenstein said, only for the first wipe. I guess I can't really blame them though, they already get enough vitriolic bullshit spouted at them on their twitter/forums.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Got a message on the starbound forums. Apparently a joke mod I made breaks steel bars for no reason. :psyduck: the guy who pointed it out was really nice though. Moat people I've encountered in the community are really nice actually.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

D0ct0rAlanGrant posted:

So I checked the OP and Steam Group, but is there a thread in the private server with anyone hosting a server? Because I love this game, I'm having a blast and I think playing with other people would be even better!maybe something after the next wipe or something!

I run one at starbound.420yoloswag.com

All the details are in the PGS thread.

Mr. Belding describes it well above:

Mr. Belding posted:

I like to explore, though and it's really cool to explore things other people have built. The 420yoloswag server had an awesome Mooninite building, a ridiculously high castle made out of pink glass, and subway that goes all the way around the world. One of the players has a ship that is full of lockers of extra goodies like musical instruments and costumes.

Fun Space Exploration with friends goons is our motto!

Seems like a lot of people have slowed down heavy building until the next final wipe patch, but come join us!

SpeedRazor fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 7, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Spears

Going to write a description/name for these guys, make sure they load properly, and then I'll make a big compilation image with everything as it's proper color.

Then I'll probably make a mod forum post for them.

E: 60 (well, 62 including starters) new weapons, what up.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Desideratus posted:

VVV :saddowns: Gone like 20 hours without sleep. CAN YOU TELL? Anyways, Download it here, sorry about that :saddowns:

You have a typo in your .gun file. The muzzleEffect property is inside the block for the projectile property.

Easy fix really. Just replace those lines and corresponding curly brackets with
code:
"projectile" : {"power" : 1500,"speed" : 35},
"muzzleEffect" : {"animation" : "/animations/muzzleflash/gunmuzzleflash/DuckNukemMF.animation", "fireSound" : [ { "file" : "/sfx/DuckNukemSound.wav" } ]}

• Locked thread