Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Brand new page, still wanna see that play. It's kind of crazy that I immediately cast Franco as George and O'Dowd as Lenny. I guess it's the facial expressions, but I really couldn't see it as any other way.

Edit: Holy poo poo, he goes 'full retard'

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 9, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Why is that crazy? Those are the roles they're playing and the photo is clearly posed to convey that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm not sure whether Chris O'Dowd can do other accents.

He does an American accent in Friends With Kids, which is very off-putting. Not because its bad, just because it's O'Dowd not being incredibly Irish.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I think if you're Australian, and you want to do films outside of Australia, it's pretty much mandatory that you can put on a convincing American and a convincing British accent, because otherwise...your work is going to be very limited. If you're British or American, however, you could go your whole career just being British or American, and not want for parts.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm not sure whether Chris O'Dowd can do other accents.
There are certain actors who never put on accents - it's rare, but there are a few out there (who aren't American!) For instance, Colin Firth has..on my recollection, only done an accent that wasn't his own once, and it was extremely...disturbing. Whenever they have a movie set in America, they just accept that he's British and run with it.

It makes me wonder, do some actors escape ever having to do another accent because they can't, or because they're so well known with their original accent that people will specifically go out of their way to cast them if they want an Irish or British or German or whatever actor? I mean..Colin Firth's texan accent sounded alright to me, but it was just..wrong having it come out of the mouth of Colin Firth.

Oh god, Steve Coogan in Hamlet 2. I don't know if his American accent was bad, per se, but it just felt so wrong.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

bobkatt013 posted:

He is doing it because its his wife's favorite book.

God I miss that show.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Mola Yam posted:

Oh god, Steve Coogan in Hamlet 2. I don't know if his American accent was bad, per se, but it just felt so wrong.

I saw Hamlet 2 before I knew who Steve Coogan was and it didn't even occur to me that he was British, but I'm not great at noticing these things.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

King Vidiot posted:

What's going on lately with film and TV actors being in Broadway musicals or plays that have promotional posters that look like movie posters? That was the first one today, and here's the second in the same day:

I really want to see if O'Dowd can pull this off.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

lelandjs posted:

I'm guessing that O'Dowd is going to drop the brouge for playing Lenny because if he doesn't no one in the audience will be able to keep a straight face. It'd be like the Work Outing episode if IT Crowd ("Ai'm disaboled!").

If he doesn't, though, I'll be first in line for tickets.

I actually thought "this looks perfect" for about a second before I realized I was mistaking Franco for Colin Farrell for some reason.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I made a poster for a non-existant movie because I'm a nerd.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Shanty posted:

I actually thought "this looks perfect" for about a second before I realized I was mistaking Franco for Colin Farrell for some reason.

They should've just gone the In Bruges route and cast Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson in the roles.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

King Vidiot posted:

They should've just gone the In Bruges route and cast Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson in the roles.

Or Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Seeing that of Mice and Men poster on this page, I thought "oh Christ, why remake that now?" even though I've never actually seen a film version of it, just read the book. I'd totally watch that as a play, though. I'm not sure if that's hypocritical.

teagone posted:

I made a poster for a non-existant movie because I'm a nerd.

I like that you gave Wonder Woman such a prominent spot! Can't imagine that on a real poster.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

davidspackage posted:

I like that you gave Wonder Woman such a prominent spot! Can't imagine that on a real poster.

Yeah she's not turned around with her rear end facing the camera so it's automatically a no-go for Hollywood.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

davidspackage posted:

Seeing that of Mice and Men poster on this page, I thought "oh Christ, why remake that now?" even though I've never actually seen a film version of it, just read the book. I'd totally watch that as a play, though. I'm not sure if that's hypocritical.

She also isn't sticking out her rear end or tits so yeah that wouldn't fly on a real poster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vargo posted:

I kinda feel like James Franco is known for a lot more than just his roles in Pineapple Express and Spring Breakers. Dude makes a lot of movies.

I suspect that James Franco is more commonly known for playing Harry Osborn in Sam Raimi's billion-plus grossing Spider-Man trilogy than he is for two indie flicks.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Especially since he hosted the Oscars before Spring Breakers came out.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Jedit posted:

I suspect that James Franco is more commonly known for playing Harry Osborn in Sam Raimi's billion-plus grossing Spider-Man trilogy than he is for two indie flicks.

In what way was Pineapple Express an indie flick?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
He's known for being a Freak in Freaks and Geeks despite being really good looking, well liked and an extrovert.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

He's known for being a Freak in Freaks and Geeks despite being really good looking, well liked and an extrovert.

A show that few people watched over a trilogy of movies that made a stupid amount of money?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think he's known for being "James Franco".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also 127 Hours. And Milk. Seriously, he's done a lot of work. Quite a few duds, though.

Here's his latest one where he appears to be Satan:

This one's coming out this year.

Also he's going to be in a Canadian-German film. Dude must be rolling in cash with all his projects.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

What, nobody knows that James Franco was that dude that totally cut off his hand in 127 Hours? Besides the Oscar nominations, everyone knows that story without watching the movie, just like the soccer team eating the bodies of crash victims in Alive or Ned Beatty getting raped in Deliverance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't think James Franco was really a household name until the first couple Spiderman movies came out, now he's just James Franco and everybody knows who he is.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think James Franco was really a household name until the first couple Spiderman movies came out, now he's just James Franco and everybody knows who he is.

I don't think he was a household name after Spiderman. That was Tobey's movie. I don't think he was a lead in a movie until Annapolis and that sucked. Maybe Tristan and Isolde. He was always small time until 127 Hours.

But yes, most knew what a "James Franco" was after Spiderman but no more than people know what a Hayden Christensen is due to Star Wars. He didn't become a prominent actor you'd want to cast based on his name (definition of household name) until 127, which has been followed by Apes, Oz and Spring Breakers.

But even then, people knew what a "James Franco" was because he played James Dean in a very well received TV movie watched by 3 million people that received a lot of acclaim.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, he's a British comedic actor, also known for being Roy in The IT Crowd.

He's Irish :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, that's what he said.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Vegetable posted:

Also 127 Hours. And Milk. Seriously, he's done a lot of work. Quite a few duds, though.

Here's his latest one where he appears to be Satan:

All I see is Anakin/Hayden Christensen/Revenge of the Sith.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Goons really do have a disorder that affects their face recognition abilities.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

It makes me wonder, do some actors escape ever having to do another accent because they can't, or because they're so well known with their original accent that people will specifically go out of their way to cast them if they want an Irish or British or German or whatever actor? I mean..Colin Firth's texan accent sounded alright to me, but it was just..wrong having it come out of the mouth of Colin Firth.

This immediately brought Sean Connery to mind. When have you ever heard anything from him but his native brogue? (Even when playing a Russian)

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

LucyWanabe posted:

This immediately brought Sean Connery to mind. When have you ever heard anything from him but his native brogue? (Even when playing a Russian)

He does his brouge even when he's playing an Egyptian pretending to be a Spaniard.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Two of my favorite Sean Connery roles. He can do whatever he wants because he's Sean Connery.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Having grown up with Sean Connery movies, as far as I'm concerned he doesn't speak with any other accent than "Sean Connery."

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

LucyWanabe posted:

I think that in Connery's case, it's more that he couldn't be hosed doing another accent/or maybe he can't do another accent at all. With Firth, they always cast him as British. I've never seen Firth in a movie where he's supposed to be Australian or Russian, but has the same accent. With Connery, he was supposed to be things-other-than-Scottish, but he was just always Scottish.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vegetable posted:

This one's coming out this year.

Good to know Kate Hudson isn't dead, seems like she disappeared for a few years there. Then again she's an awful, awful actress.

Franco seriously needs to make that Pineapple Express sequel he thought up in This Is The End with Seth Rogen.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've watched dailies of Kate Hudson and she is actually a pretty decent actress it's just masked by having a completely insufferable personality.

edit: to be fair this was in Something Borrowed so maybe her abilities were elevated by the garbage swirling around her.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 10, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Vintersorg posted:

I think he's known for being "James Franco".

Basically this is what I was getting at, I'm fully aware that James Franco is more famous for... being Famous Person James Franco. You'd have to have lived under a rock your entire life to have not heard of James Franco outside of Spring Breakers or Pineapple Express.

I just picked out his two most non-Steinbeckian movie parts.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Everyone had a Swedish accent in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo except for Daniel Craig who didn't even bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Clearly the rule is that once you've been Bond you're allowed to talk in your native accent no matter what roles you get later in life.