Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I'd never heard of this before and now I'm entranced, thanks.

If only I made more money.

Also I am totally down for a Pleistocene rewilding. Get on it, science! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

bathroom sounds posted:

Pick why did things used to be more gigantic in prehistoric times?
I heard it was because there was a higher concentration of oxygen or somesuch, but that doesn't seem to make sense.

Basically I want to live in a world with 10 foot clams and 10 pound toads.

I think the higher oxygen thing is mainly in the case of things like giant arthropods, such as this huge sonoabitch. Maybe amphibians too, I don't know.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Bugs get bigger with higher concentrations of oxygen because of the way their bodies work. I don't believe it's the same with non-arthropods.

Currently, the earth contains the biggest animal to have ever lived. The blue whale!

I've just had my second restless night with no sleep in a row! I even took a sleeping pill, but I guess I should have taken two.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

bathroom sounds posted:

I heard it was because there was a higher concentration of oxygen or somesuch, but that doesn't seem to make sense.

As far as I can remember, this is correct. Higher levels of oxygen means bigger lungs (or the equivalent tubey things? that bugs have) so you get bigger animals. If those creatures existed today they wouldn't be able to get enough oxygen.

I could be remembering that wrong though. It's been a few years since uni.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

That how it works for critters with exoskeletons basically.

If you're talking about more recent giant critters, the ice age megafauna stuff, a lot of those species mysteriously went extinct around the same time humans moved into their habitats. :iiam:

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Nessa posted:

I've just had my second restless night with no sleep in a row! I even took a sleeping pill, but I guess I should have taken two.

sleeping pill + a beer = sleep like a drat baby

It's what I did last night and I tell you what, I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it up the stairs to get to bed, whole lotta stumbling. But I made it, passed out fairly quickly, and stayed zoned out for the whole night.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Blue whales are amazing. They're living islands! :3:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Bugs breathe through diffusion

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Women's Rights? posted:

It's what I did last night and I tell you what, I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it up the stairs to get to bed, whole lotta stumbling. But I made it, passed out fairly quickly, and stayed zoned out for the whole night.
Guys, no! :ohdear:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Women's Rights? posted:

I don't drink beer. Never found one I enjoyed the taste of. :/

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Guess I should specify that my sleeping pill is tylenol PM and not, like, ambien or something loving hardcore

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Please don't end up like those tcc ppl

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Nessa posted:

I'm kind of the opposite. Never found much else I liked other than beer.

I'm basically trash. :(

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

Please don't end up like those tcc ppl
I've witnessed simultaneous sleeping pill addiction/abuse and alcoholism in a family member. It's a bad bad mix.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I want to keep this as a pet.

The only beers I really like are stouts (except Guinness, bleurgh) and also those Belgian ones like Liefmann's where they have fruit flavouring added

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
:( I'm not an addict I promise, the only prescription I have is for BC

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When it came to mammalian megafauna we either hunted them all to death for the most part or their was an abundance of other, easier-to-hunt animals in the same ecosystem. Or we decided that their bits are more valuable than the existence of the species like morons. The American Bison is basically a Wooly Bovine, like how the Wooly Mammoth is an elephant with a sweater on.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

vaguely posted:

I want to keep this as a pet.

The only beers I really like are stouts (except Guinness, bleurgh) and also those Belgian ones like Liefmann's where they have fruit flavouring added

Haha I hate it when I find typos after someone quotes me. :v:

I love Blue Moon and Budweiser (yes I know, I know). I can drink Guiness, but I don't like it and it makes me kind of queasy. Used to drink a lot of PBR when I was college poor and hipstery, then realized it tasted like poo poo and made me feel like poo poo.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If you're not drinking draught Guinness in a bar thick with tobacco smoke then you're doing it wrong.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nessa posted:

U r not alone in this

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I don't think I've ever drank anything with alcohol in it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bathroom sounds posted:

Some of it was higher ambient oxygen levels, but climactic factors were also in play.

Insects don't have "lungs", they only have openings (spiracles) to let air in and out of the body. They oxygenate faster in high-oxygen environments, naturally. In fact, if you rear fruit flies in a higher-oxygen environment they will grow larger, although this caps out eventually. Oxygenation rates are really important for something like a dragonfly, which is powered by "direct flight" (analogous to birds) as opposed to flies and bees which employ some other tricks that involve distortion of the thorax.

As for why vertebrates and stuff are less giant now.... Eh, are they? Blue whales are the largest animals to ever exist. We still have some megafauna, like elephants and moose. Humans directly hunted out a lot of the extinct megafauna species, like the european cave bear. We would have moas and elephant birds and giant ground sloths if humans hadn't hunted them out.

Here's a helpful graphic on causes of extinction:

I'm not sure frogs ever got particularly larger than the modern goliath frog:

Or the chinese giant salamander:

By the way, both of these are endangered, thanks to humans, especially the chinese giant salamander which is essentially on death's door.

Pick fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 9, 2014

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I would pet the hell out of that goliath frog, that looks awesome. I love froggies :3:

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Oh my gosh look at his big strong legs, he's so cute!

AriadneThread posted:

Fireball cinnamon-flavored whiskey tastes like liquid red hot candies. Alternatively, gin has a piney minty flavor that mixes great with soda or citrus.

Thank me later.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, we are definitely bringing the mammoth back. I'm confident that will happen within a few short decades.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Goliath frogs look like they have enough meat on them to not be annoying as hell to eat like regular frog legs.

Who wants to try goliath frog with me?

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

Pick posted:

By the way, we are definitely bringing the mammoth back. I'm confident that will happen within a few short decades.

how? and how far does that big frog jump?

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Pick posted:

what would we do with them

mammoth fur blankets?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

AriadneThread posted:

Eh alcohol tastes kind of lovely. Which is why you drink it with other stuff in it because being drunk is fun. :haw:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Anyone who likes megafauna should google "Pleistocene Rewilding" for the goofiest/best unlikely idea ever. :allears:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

glandmine posted:

how? and how far does that big frog jump?

We're already at the point where most of the components are in line. The DNA we have is fragmented, but we've already managed to piece together fragmented DNA from other species. We have eggs from captive elephants. It's a big topic and I don't want to get into it all, but generally speaking there are huge hurdles but what seemed pie-in-the-sky twenty years ago is already being done. Dinosaurs have no chance though, that ship has sailed.

The frog is still within the weight range where froglike legs work. I'm not sure what the peak would be, actually. Higher than this by some margin anyway :shrug:.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

they're going to turn out to be intelligent like elephants and get really sad in captivity and we'll basically be huge dicks for bringing them back

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Important question re: mammoths -

Can I ride it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pick posted:

We're already at the point where most of the components are in line. The DNA we have is fragmented, but we've already managed to piece together fragmented DNA from other species. We have eggs from captive elephants. It's a big topic and I don't want to get into it all, but generally speaking there are huge hurdles but what seemed pie-in-the-sky twenty years ago is already being done. Dinosaurs have no chance though, that ship has sailed.

You're not fooling me. Elephants don't lay eggs. :colbert:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pick posted:

I'm not sure frogs ever got particularly larger than the modern goliath frog:

How do I get permission to raise some of those in my backyard?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Kimmalah posted:

Eh alcohol tastes kind of lovely. Which is why you drink it with other stuff in it because being drunk is fun. :haw:

I actually love the taste of certain alcohols, but don't care for being drunk. Tipsy is fine, but any more than that and I'm incapacitated the next day. It kinda sucks.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

boom boom boom posted:

How do I get permission to raise some of those in my backyard?

You don't. Frogs will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. Enjoy explaining to your neighbor why their cat's collar is ringing from inside your frog.

Frogs are monsters.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

VanSandman posted:

You don't. Frogs will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. Enjoy explaining to your neighbor why their cat's collar is ringing from inside your frog.

Frogs are monsters.

I would build an enclosure!

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Frogs are monsters.

pretty sure a cat would own a cat-sized frog in a fight :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pick posted:

It's real cool that we have learned literally nothing from Jurassic park

• Locked thread