Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Helical Nightmares posted:

So Ares is the Greek god of War and Violence.

What is his story in the Marvel universe?

About what you'd expect. He is a Greek god of war and violence.

Case in point: Olympus is under siege by a crazed Japanese chaos deity's forces. The fight is not going well, so Ares decides to take action. By SETTING HIMSELF ON FIRE and telling Hercules to throw him into the midst of the enemy.

At one point, Norman Osborn has Ares train a new team of soldiers for him.

What he lacks in subtlety, he makes up for in style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?

Helical Nightmares posted:

So Ares is the Greek god of War and Violence.

What is his story in the Marvel universe?

He's the Greek God of war and violence

He became mortal for a while and was pretty similar to the Punisher except with martial weapons in addition to guns.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Somebody post the panels of him not being able to hear instructions over the sound of him returning fire and stuff.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I don't see why you would use Ares over Thor or Wolvie. Welp, at least it's a nine day event and that means a fuckton of standard cover which mean at least one random 3-star cover hopefully!

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Voodoo posted:

I don't see why you would use Ares over Thor or Wolvie. Welp, at least it's a nine day event and that means a fuckton of standard cover which mean at least one random 3-star cover hopefully!

Rag Red.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Voodoo posted:

Maybe the upcoming Wolverine and Thor nerfs will change your opinion! :bravo:

Demiurge posted:

Hi Everyone!

One of the most-requested fixes we receive for the game is to adjust the balance of characters - especially those that are dominant in Versus. While I think most dedicated players knew the Ragnarok re-balance was coming, I suspect many aren't sure what's next in our efforts to make all characters useful. We're well aware that you work hard to level up characters and to that end we wanted to share our current priority for re-balance. In order, starting from soonest:

Invisible Woman (Classic)
Thor (Marvel NOW!)
Wolverine (X-Force)
Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men)
Hawkeye (Modern)
Magneto (Classic)
Spiderman (Classic)

Please keep in mind, that we are constantly finding new and interesting ways to use the characters in the game and we may insert changes to this list. Going forward, we'll do our best to keep you aware of our ongoing plans to keep the game tuned well.

Cheers,
Al

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Voodoo posted:

Use him for Dark Avenger tourneys. :downsrim:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't know anything about balancing characters, but I think I would feel a lot better about it if they tried boosting some of the other characters rather than hacking away at the "dominant" ones.

The Marvel Facebook game always took this approach, they'd keep adding stuff rather than subtracting.

Maybe it's not technically better, but it at least doesn't make you feel like you paid for something and now they're yanking it away.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Karnegal posted:

poo poo, just noticed that the first batch of events are non-repeatable. Best to save those until late in the time frame. Shouldn't be a big deal since this is a 9.5 day deal, but watch out for that.

Don't forget that doing the first batch unlocks the side events where all the points are, and those are on a cycle much shorter than 9.5 days.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

omnibobb posted:

Somebody post the panels of him not being able to hear instructions over the sound of him returning fire and stuff.

delfin posted:

Ares trains his soldiers by firing live rounds at them during practice sessions. :axe:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I see the devs still hate Bag Man then.

Also we need a new Captain America, based on that one by the guy who can't draw feet.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

triplexpac posted:

I don't know anything about balancing characters, but I think I would feel a lot better about it if they tried boosting some of the other characters rather than hacking away at the "dominant" ones.

The Marvel Facebook game always took this approach, they'd keep adding stuff rather than subtracting.

Maybe it's not technically better, but it at least doesn't make you feel like you paid for something and now they're yanking it away.

It looks like they're going to be improving three of those characters and tweaking down four, but the net effect is going to be more lopsided because they're basically going to be nerfing four of the best remaining characters and the ones they're boosting are extremely subpar (Hawkeye is okay)

Unless they drastically improve X-Force and Invisible Woman they're still not going to be all that good. Plus they're four stars and I imagine not a ton of players have them.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Heres how I'm guessing its gonna go: IW, xforce wolvie, hawk mod alll get boosted, everyone else gets turned to crap. IW and xforce become the new top dogs needed to finish at the top, the whales throw their money and Demiurge Studios laughs all the way to the bank. Calling it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Trip report: CPU L240 Ares is...

HP 14625
Damage 107 Yel / 122 Red / 18 Purp / 17 Bla / 15 Blu / 137 Gre / 3 Env / 3.0x Crit

Onslaught: 5 Green AP, depletes all Green AP and does 566 damage for each, grants enemies 1 Green AP per 2 consumed
Rampage: 10 Red AP, 1634 damage to all enemies, 3267 if below 25% of max health
Sunder: 10 Yellow AP, does 5445 damage to enemy, 2420 to self, converts random basic tile to a 2 Countdown tile that does 1815 damage to enemy and heals him for 1967

...NOT loving fun to fight against.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
I don't know if Thor really needs to be nerfed, but man Astonishing Wolvie nerf would finally give me a reason to use something other than him thankfully, which actually kinda weird to be thankful about.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Ares just murdered my team in like 3 turns. This is not fun.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I don't know if Thor really needs to be nerfed, but man Astonishing Wolvie nerf would finally give me a reason to use something other than him thankfully, which actually kinda weird to be thankful about.

I hear ya. In a perfect world, this game would be balanced and you could pick any combo of characters and potentially do well.

Really, I'd settle for a handful of different options. Every single team I see in the current IM PVP is maxed Wolvie and Thor, over and over and over again, with the odd Spidey in the mix.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I beat the 240 Ares with some boosts and a Hulk/Thor/Storm combo. I did kill him in two turns and probably got a little bit lucky, but Hulk tanking and spitting out a bunch of green with Anger along with Thor churning yellows into more green managed to sort of loop Storms green power and her stun. Hulk still took 7k damage.

Not sure I want to try that fight again but I don't have an IW. I played the lottery and got a black Punisher cover but I don't want to spend 250 HP on a Captain America or Hawkeye cover :sweatdrop:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Given the heavy-handed "rebalance" of Rags and the upcoming nerf bat queue, it might be a good idea to add a big flashing warning to the OP:

:siren: Do not spend HP leveling the abilities of characters in the rebalance queue. Especially not real money HP. :siren:

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Welp, i logon today and not only are all of my characters dead with a 7 hour wait, but i've got a 5 hour wait for a medpack.

No response from support for over a week now.

argh.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
If I use an Avengers boost and a Dark Avengers boost do I do +40% damage to Ares? :colbert:

Ares is awesome, and his coolest moment is still when he encounters Sentry though, linked for spoilers and hugeness.

http://i.imgur.com/ux1VnH9.jpg

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The R45.1 update (bug fixes) is in the App Store now.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aw, it's just the Hunt again with different rewards? The enemies seem different at least. C'mon, give us Devil Dinosaur.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm finding it harder and harder to give a poo poo about this game. Now my precious Thor and Wolverine are up and running in their 60's and they're about to get toned down. I barely survive as it is without throwing money at them.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

New Leaf posted:

I'm finding it harder and harder to give a poo poo about this game. Now my precious Thor and Wolverine are up and running in their 60's and they're about to get toned down. I barely survive as it is without throwing money at them.

Well, nearly every match in every round of every event is wolverine, Thor and the tournament theme character which is pretty stupid.

Effective, and kind of fun, but stupid.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

messagemode1 posted:

Well, nearly every match in every round of every event is wolverine, Thor and the tournament theme character which is pretty stupid.

Effective, and kind of fun, but stupid.

If it works, it works. They were good, that's where my points are. If it were an MMO and they were making major changes to a skill-line or something, they would reimburse the points spent in it. In this game.. no idea.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
New Hunt owns for the sheer fact that the buffs are loving ridiculous. I shouldn't be able to take on everything with a level 25 Hulk and a level 6 Captain America, but here we are. Now if only these drat recruit tokens would drop me another Cap or Hulk, that would be rad.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Sitting at mid 30s in double shot with 400ish points, waiting until the last 30 or so to push for top 15. First in our bracket is over 1500 with a 600 point lead over second, no idea how you gain that high with everyone else so low.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

New Leaf posted:

If it works, it works. They were good, that's where my points are. If it were an MMO and they were making major changes to a skill-line or something, they would reimburse the points spent in it. In this game.. no idea.

That makes no sense, skills get mega-nerfed in MMOs all the time?

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Varinn posted:

That makes no sense, skills get mega-nerfed in MMOs all the time?

What he was saying is that when that happens, you typically get a free respec.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

delfin posted:

That just reminds me of later when he shuts Orborn up with just a stare :smith:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Sitting at mid 30s in double shot with 400ish points, waiting until the last 30 or so to push for top 15. First in our bracket is over 1500 with a 600 point lead over second, no idea how you gain that high with everyone else so low.

I thought I was going to get back-to-back 1st's in the IM 40 thing, but this guy had no interest in letting that happen (never saw him shielded once in past two days too) so I threw in the towel and shielded. Should get me my last Purple Spiderman Cover.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Russad posted:

What he was saying is that when that happens, you typically get a free respec.

I wouldn't say it's even close to typical, really. A free respec in something like this I'd expect if they redesigned a hero entirely, but nerfing one skill? Not really.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Varinn posted:

I wouldn't say it's even close to typical, really. A free respec in something like this I'd expect if they redesigned a hero entirely, but nerfing one skill? Not really.

That skill was the core of the hero though. You can't say just one skill when he only had 2 to start with and he other skill was never used anyway.

Whether he needed a nerf or not alienating the whales who are pretty much 90% of the people who had Rags at 5 red is a bit dumb. Doing it and then announcing Spider-Man is next on the list is downright stupid.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I'd rather they balance with gameplay in mind over how much it'll make whales cry any day, to be frank. Maybe the nerf was too much, but that can be rebalanced in the future too! The backlash over some of the more egregious stuff being nerfed is crazy.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Varinn posted:

I'm honestly surprised they don't offer respecs that cost HC. For instance, if someone fucks up a 3-star with 3 skills and really should have gone 5/5/3 but they went something else, charging HC and you get 13 points to stick where ever. They wouldn't necessarily make bank over it, but someone would infinitely more than likely spend money on that than completely rebuilding one from scratch.

And honestly, I don't understand why all builds for each character aren't viable. There's a handful where there's legitimate debate between a couple builds, but the vast majority are "build it exactly like this or you're hamstringing yourself against everyone else".

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

The people with 2 skills barely even have builds. The build variations are to deliberately not max out your character because the max level makes skills worse, which is a bad design but working around bad design with player solutions has it's own charm (see glitch based speed runs of games).

The game is super linear and limited as it is now (Thor wolvie thor wolvie ad nauseum) so a wide sweeping redesign is welcome.

Alienating whales is inelegant and they should probably give a partial HP but not $$ refund to people who paid HP to skill up rags, but let them keep the skill ups. So if you whaled you end up with some bonus HP and a now worthless max skill rags.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
If there are any newbies out there who aren't turned away by the vitriol directed at this game, I'm about ready to wrap up my time playing. First reply to this gets my Fakebook account and the accompanying covers (share your email and we'll change login, password etc over to you.)

Not sure how well this'll work, but what the heck.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 11, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well, I clawed my way up to 1000 in Double Shot using the tried and true strategy of "if people crab you into the basement, they're worth 30 points each when you retaliate" and then spend 50 of the HP I won on a shield in 9th place. Immediately after doing so I got attacked for a total of 160 points, so I think it was worth it. Would've clawed 70 more points to 4th place (after that it's 1400) but that last 25 to 1000 took forever because I'd get attacked as fast as I could kill guys.

IM40/Wolvie/OBW may not be as scary a team to fight back against as swapping in Thor but man, I ended every single fight at max HP unless the enemy got a lucky cascade. With no buffs.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Just finished a run through the prologue to collect remaining HP / standard tokens. Of the 15 tokens cashed, I got:

Black Widow Modern - Purple x 2
Iron Man 35 - Blue
Iron Man 35 - Red
Iron Man 35 - Yellow
Venom - Purple x 4
Yelena Belova - Purple
Yelena Belova - Black
Hawkeye Classic - Red
Storm Modern - Black
Juggernaut - Green

Wolverine Astonishing - Yellow

Grey Widow - Red