Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ghostlight posted:

^^^ The Hood's yellow is by far much worse than his black. Being able to shave turns off shield refunds, recharges, and Magneto countdowns is insanely good at 9 a pop compared to converting 15 yellow AP into a grab-bag of 18.

Molotov seems promising for a black ability - I've yet to see how it goes at high levels, but so far it's at least a decent team-damage for a pretty budget price. The attack tiles it makes so far are completely worthless without strikes up though.

For the Hulk tournament I put in Original Widow because I wanted a heal and to wean myself off Spider-Man - then I put Daken in, who managed to transform Hulk on Hulk matches into escalating slap fights. His strike tiles are too weak though so it wasn't as effective as I thought it might be, and despite being protected by having the lowest attack in every colour he would've been easy to focus when controlled by the AI. I have a huge problem finding people who actually complement Hulk.

Yeah I was running some matches with IM40/Hulk/OBW I'd end most fights at full health but it just took too long to win.

I just got my second black cover for Punisher so that should help out some. A Hulk/IM40/Punisher team basically covers all of the colors except for purple. The Punisher has sort of low hit points but he'd only be tanking black and environment tiles with this team, and you'd have an ability for every color but purple.

All three characters use red and maybe Punisher trying to use his red on defense would gently caress it up but when playing you'd be able to choose between nuking or execution.

I'm going to try it out in this next Hulk tournament but I still need a few more Hulk and Punisher covers to finish them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
So for punisher, 5 red, then max black or green?

What about hulk, which skill should be maxed?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I built him 5/3/5, but I also depended on Wolverine's green as a core component of any team. If he gets nerfed, it might be more up in the air.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Punisher: 5 red, 3 green, 5 black probably. The green makes strike tiles but the random destruction will pop them as well. Black abilities are rare and at 5 Molotov spits a tile out every turn for whittling the guy down.

Hulk: 4 black definitely, 5 black if you don't mind the damage, it can add up on the enemies. Red's the highest damage potential in the game with max green, but very expensive and hits your guys too unless you watch the board carefully, so most folks are suggesting 3 red 5 green even though 5green's just 2 more tiles popped than 4 green.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 13, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I was gonna go 5/3/5 myself but the impending Wolverine buff has me re-thinking my plans, so I'm wondering if I should go 5/5/3 instead or something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For Punisher I was initially thinking 5/3/5, but the damage done by his damage tiles isnt that great, but it's nice if it stacks with strikes. So my revised thinking is using his black mainly for team damage, the damage tiles are nice if they appear, but having more strike power will be more valuable in the long run. 3/5/5.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bruceski posted:

Hulk: 4 black definitely, 5 black if you don't mind the damage, it can add up on the enemies. Red's the highest damage potential in the game with max green, but very expensive and hits your guys too unless you watch the board carefully, so most folks are suggesting 3 red 5 green even though 5green's just 2 more tiles popped than 4 green.
Smash's damage potential is completely theoretical though - it takes over 40 AP to surpass what Classic Magneto can do with 10 AP and 13 blue tiles in the field - and if there's more than 10 green tiles out your whole team is taking 3k+ damage from it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ghostlight posted:

Smash's damage potential is completely theoretical though - it takes over 40 AP to surpass what Classic Magneto can do with 10 AP and 13 blue tiles in the field - and if there's more than 10 green tiles out your whole team is taking 3k+ damage from it.

Agreed.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Ghostlight posted:

Balancing this is that Hulk is infinitely more tanky than Magneto -- in fact, you will WANT him sucking up hits to let Anger build more green.

I had some success throwing Hulk-Spidey at the 240x3 missions, even the one with Invisible Woman as a ride-along. Lock down Ares in particular, build up as full a tank as possible, then SMAAAAAAAAAASH and repeat. Building up 30 Green is an obvious drawback, but using Smash only knocks you down to 20 (which is still pretty good damage in and of itself if you need to spam it twice for a quick kill). The 10-tiles thing is pretty easy to avoid during lockdown. Of course, that strategy is heavily dependent on Spidey doing the grunt work spamming blue, so we'll see how long that lasts.

Even if Wolverine gets nerfed, Hulk works beautifully with Grey Widow. Hulk eats hits and shits Anger tiles, which combine with Deceptive Tactics for a full tank for Sniper Rifle, or if you have red built up as well and one target left, SMAAAAAAAAASH.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
I don't know if it's just me, but I feel they might have to rebalance some PvE. When your up against 3 + 8000 hp enemies, if you aren't using Wolverine then chances are you won't have strong strike tiles, making things extremely slow and cumbersome. I can only imagine how long and unpredictable it will be to fight 240lv enemies with only abilities and matches without Wolvie's strike tiles.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel they might have to rebalance some PvE. When your up against 3 + 8000 hp enemies, if you aren't using Wolverine then chances are you won't have strong strike tiles, making things extremely slow and cumbersome. I can only imagine how long and unpredictable it will be to fight 240lv enemies with only abilities and matches without Wolvie's strike tiles.

As someone who's slogging through these events (highest I've successfully tackled is three 125 heroes) with a level 17 modern Storm and a level 11 Black Widow in addition to whatever dude I get boosted, a match can be over 10 minutes long and is always just one errant match away from disaster. :v:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm thinking of making a team too annoying for people to try to fight in PVP tourneys.

Like you go to click on it, see who's there, go "YUGH" and click skip, even if you need a ranking.

Classic Storm, Bullseye and Daken?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm thinking of making a team too annoying for people to try to fight in PVP tourneys.

Like you go to click on it, see who's there, go "YUGH" and click skip, even if you need a ranking.

You sneeze on that team and it goes away.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Yea a team too annoying to fight requires high HP. Any team that can be destroyed in a couple terms by a boosted Thor/Wolvie combo, regardless of awesome abilities, is never too annoying to fight.

I would include Hulk as a too annoying to fight, because my god I don't think I've met another character as annoying to fight in a pvp event.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Hulk, juggernaut and storm classic, probably. Maybe Thor instead of storm? Classic mags?

Hulk and jugs are "balanced" on offense by their self damaging mechanics that require health packs to sustain, but on defense they start out with full hp against every new opponent so they are that much more effective.

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 13, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CaptainScraps posted:

Hulk with black by himself or pared with Classic Storm with yellow. The second I see that I skip because I know, even if I beat them, I'm going to get so damaged I need multiple healthpacks to keep playing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Storm has such low hit points that not fighting her is ever even a consideration. Hulk has a giant pool of health and an annoying ability that fires off constantly. I don't think I'd ever fight a team of 100+ Hulk/Magneto/Ares.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I like that they're giving away Ares as rewards for the sub events. I've already got 3 of each of his covers.

Now I just need to figure out how to build him before I get any more covers. I'm thinking Green and Yellow are the way to go. I don't want to feed the enemy green AP, but at level 5, his green is comparable in damage to Thor's red at minimum activation of 5 green. His red costs 10 and requires him to be a low health to do decent damage. Of course, the yellow hurts him, but if you can get the countdown tile off it effectively only does 20% damage to him - and at max level it's somewhat comparable to Thor's yellow, with an additional damage component on the countdown tile that pushes it over. But I guess the self-damage Yellow and the do-better-while-hurt Red complement each other.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Beefy tanks don't bother or scare me at all. They certainly don't annoy me or get me to stop clicking them. I just have to play them a little cautiously.

There's basically three types of characters I stay away from. They're characters with an extremely spammable skill, like Wolverine or Spider-Man (luckily the latter seems to be pretty easy to nuke before he gets too obnoxious), characters that gently caress up the entire board and get endless crashes, like both Storms and Loki. The third type is Original Black Widow.

EDIT
Thinking on it some more, I think the most annoying team would be Wolverine, OBW, and some kind of meat shield for the two of them, preferably one that can churn the board. Thor, prolly.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Veryslightlymad posted:

Beefy tanks don't bother or scare me at all. They certainly don't annoy me or get me to stop clicking them. I just have to play them a little cautiously.

There's basically three types of characters I stay away from. They're characters with an extremely spammable skill, like Wolverine or Spider-Man (luckily the latter seems to be pretty easy to nuke before he gets too obnoxious), characters that gently caress up the entire board and get endless crashes, like both Storms and Loki. The third type is Original Black Widow.

EDIT
Thinking on it some more, I think the most annoying team would be Wolverine, OBW, and some kind of meat shield for the two of them, preferably one that can churn the board. Thor, prolly.

Hooray, that's my normal team!

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Russad posted:

I like that they're giving away Ares as rewards for the sub events. I've already got 3 of each of his covers.

Now I just need to figure out how to build him before I get any more covers. I'm thinking Green and Yellow are the way to go. I don't want to feed the enemy green AP, but at level 5, his green is comparable in damage to Thor's red at minimum activation of 5 green. His red costs 10 and requires him to be a low health to do decent damage. Of course, the yellow hurts him, but if you can get the countdown tile off it effectively only does 20% damage to him - and at max level it's somewhat comparable to Thor's yellow, with an additional damage component on the countdown tile that pushes it over. But I guess the self-damage Yellow and the do-better-while-hurt Red complement each other.

The go-to build on the demi forums seems to be 4/4/5. 5 in yellow gives a 2 turn countdown tile, 4 in green maximizes its damage, and 4 in red is fine since the difference between 25% and 30% life is minimal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT
My regular team is basically that using the Model 40 as the meatshield. It doesn't have a churn, but he covers the blues so that OBW doesn't have to get slammed for a heal and converts stolen yellows directly into R/G/U which is the main fuel of the team.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pulled a Loki and a Doom from standard tokens. :toot:

Well I mean if Loki had anything other than a board shaker.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SynthOrange posted:

Pulled a Loki and a Doom from standard tokens. :toot:

Well I mean if Loki had anything other than a board shaker.

I got a Green Rags today (my first) - timing, egh?

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2184

They announced their planned Invisible Woman buffs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay now that's more like it. Still worried about Wolvie 2* though. Use him while you've got him. :negative:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Her revision looks pretty good. I wish there was a way to get an IW though, not having one is killing me in this event.

Get first in an event is a thing I haven't been able to do in a long time. Oh well.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Okay now that's more like it. Still worried about Wolvie 2* though. Use him while you've got him. :negative:
At least they're revising X-Force before Astonishing. Mine's at 4/3/1 so hopefully he can take over if they burn 2* too hard.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm trying to wean myself off using Wolvie in preparation, use other characters more. The Spidey nerf is going to completely screw me up though.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

chrisf posted:

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2184

They announced their planned Invisible Woman buffs.

Well, that's cool. I wish I had more than 4 covers so I could level her enough to warrant using her. Still might be a little weak, but it's certainly an improvement.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

4*s go to level 230. Those numbers scale with that.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SynthOrange posted:

4*s go to level 230. Those numbers scale with that.

Yeah but I'm like 1/1/2 or something. Levels are slim when you spread them across colors.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think what SynthOrange is referring to is that you need to get her above level 120 before she has better stats than a level 50 1*

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

I think what SynthOrange is referring to is that you need to get her above level 120 before she has better stats than a level 50 1*

That's weird, I thought the reason they started giving boosted starting levels to 2* 3* and 4* characters was to make their levels represent their tile match power more accurately.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

WetSpink posted:

That's weird, I thought the reason they started giving boosted starting levels to 2* 3* and 4* characters was to make their levels represent their tile match power more accurately.
For their initial level, yes. My base level 30 X-force wolverine has 19/17/15 as his highest damage, as does my level 30 IM35. 30 Hood is 18/16/14 which is close enough. My pile of 2 and 3 stars at level 50 (bullseye, grey widow, moonstone, hulk, doom) do the same (+-1) damage with their highest match colors as well.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah, it was done really oddly when it should be directly representative of the character's relative tile-strength. They start out relative to a one-star, but as far as I can tell the reason 3-4*s go up so high is because in the old system they actually cost considerably more ISO per level than the lower rarities, but the new system uses a standardised ISO across the rarities so that it costs the same ISO to level a 1* to 50 that it does a 4* to 80.

Because they didn't change the total ISO to level a character when they changed the skill system, the higher rarities needed more levels simply because they cost more ISO to max out in the old system - which doesn't cause an issue for the first three rarities except that X-Force Wolverine was as costly as he was under-powered, bloating out the levels far beyond his stats would sensibly make them and destroying any scaling that would make him comparable to a lower rarity of his level.

One stars max out at 25 in a stat and level to 50.
Two stars max out at 50 in a stat and should theoretically level to 100, so they scale much faster than you'd expect.
Three stars max out at 67 in a stat, which would be 134 - meaning they scale a negligible amount slower than you'd expect.
Four stars max out at 70(!) in a stat and should therefore level cap at 140.

Four stars in general are just legacy-hosed by the abomination that is X-Force Wolverine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I've been dumping my ISO on my Wolverine (5/3/3) and holy poo poo is it fun. Starting a game with 2 Feral Claws then just going from there just tears through opponents. What pairs up well with him? Right now I use Thor as my 2nd for the Hulk tourney but I'm trying to sort out what other heroes have good synergy with him.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've been dumping my ISO on my Wolverine (5/3/3) and holy poo poo is it fun. Starting a game with 2 Feral Claws then just going from there just tears through opponents. What pairs up well with him? Right now I use Thor as my 2nd for the Hulk tourney but I'm trying to sort out what other heroes have good synergy with him.

I've been using OBW though I think the preferred widow for Wolvie is grey widow. He puts down strike tiles and she double hits on every match. A little creative cascade planning and he'll take the hits and she does the big whammy. If things get a little out of hand she can heal and steal AP for more strike tiles.

Since early round attacks are usually well below Wolverines healing threshold I will usually hold off spamming feral claws until I've mopped up all the easy red matches on the board. This often means I'm dropping 3 per feral claws and makes it harder for the AI to match away my strike tiles. You get 6 or 9 or them down and matches don't take very long with OBW double hitting.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Anybody get a daily reward today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

Anybody get a daily reward today?

Don't think mine's come in. Haven't had that little pop up in a few days.