Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fruity Gordo posted:

no for realzies the fact that this idea came from you, A Bloke, is even more excellent to me than the other possibility that it was floated to you and you happily agreed. i didn't mean for the second bit of my post to make light of it, i honestly admire you and am thrilled that men like you exist. and as you demonstrate it's not even a thing about privileging women over men, it's about acknowledging where familial and cultural influences lie and will lie in the future and trying to place children in a nomenclatural tradition that matches their lived experience, way beyond basic poo poo like acknowledging that women usually are the ones who bring up children. insisting everyone name their children after dudes is the prescriptive, intolerant poo poo and purposefully rejecting that is brave and revolutionary and i dig it

i still want to come to your house tho

That was a good post. I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions.

Sorry I let my fragile male ego get bruised. The house currently is infested with twin preschoolers so unless you want to babysit it's not all that much fun right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

My name just sounds like an 80 year old woman's, which is fine I guess but it definitely doesn't suit my look. that said my initials are cool so whatever gently caress it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
guessing gladys

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a travelling HEGEL posted:

the spanish do holy week best, sorry every other country

My parents had a picture of my sister and I at ages 3&4 in front of a nazareno and all my friends would ask me "why is there a picture of you and your sister in front of a purple kkk member?"

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

My parents had a picture of my sister and I at ages 3&4 in front of a nazareno and all my friends would ask me "why is there a picture of you and your sister in front of a purple kkk member?"

your sister my wife

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

your sister my wife

Dream on baby, you couldn't handle it

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Fisticuffs posted:

Goons w/ weird names: I read a study(years ago so my memory is foggy) that postulated that people with unusual names end up being more likely to be criminals, drop-outs, and anti-social... all owing to their names/identity being made fun of an assload as a child.

Did people make fun of your name a lot when you were a kid? My name is a homonym for an underwear company so I definitely go that, but it's really not that weird so it wasn't constant or anything.

I've never been made fun of, people just assume that my name has some kind of significance beyond "my parents liked it".

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dream on baby, you couldn't handle it

i got the true demon ending in nocturne

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i got the true demon ending in nocturne

Watching a lets play of it doesn't count

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Watching a lets play of it doesn't count

i will destroy you fucker

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Livingtrope posted:

guessing gladys

thank god its not

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Avshalom posted:

i'm a bit simple and am always genuinely surprised when other posters don't go by their usernames irl

like i just assumed until now that your rl name is ariadne

and i guess fruity gordo is actually named fruity gordo

my real name isn't avshalom so i don't even know where this idea comes from

My name isn't really poopkitty. I just think poop is a funny word and the internet likes kitties, sooo.

If you Google my name, I am a Canadian Brain Surgeon. I am not IRL. My parents gave me the most common name in the US in the 70's; same with Mr.Poopkitty. There was actually a book titled "Beyond Poopkitty and Mr. Poopkitty - choosing a non-lame baby name." Or something like that.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Nocturne is a cool game.

My mom chose my name from a baby book because she liked it. I was going to be Lindsay, but my parents friends had already named their daughter Lindsay.

i guess after a I was born, the nurse came in and asked how "little Veronica" was doing and my mom thought that would have been a better name, but oh well! Papers were already signed!

Nessa fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 16, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i will destroy you fucker

I spin around as you go for my cape, standing there panting. In one fluid motion I tuck the cape under my left arm and throw my shoulders back, strutting away. The crowd goes wild, throwing roses at my feet as I walk to my squire for the estoque.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

-

Portals fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 3, 2014

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

There was a girl in my high school named Martha. Pretty sure she had a nose piercing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Was she MEATY?

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

I grew up with incredibly common first and middle names, and an incredibly uncommon last name--when I got married, I ditched the middle name and made my maiden name a middle name, so now I've got common first and last names and a very unusual middle name. [shrugs] I tend to use all three. But I never, ever turn around when I hear "Emily," because there are a billion goddamn Emilies running around.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Was she MEATY?

Nah, she was pretty normal and plain looking except for the piercings.

My middle name is Lynn. Very common for a middle name and shared with my mom, so I got my dad's last name and my mom's middle name.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Portals posted:

at least my name isn't greta
ahaha

GUESS WHAT

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Avshalom posted:

ahaha

GUESS WHAT

I think Greta is a very pretty name.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
*sniggers at the name greta*

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Nessa posted:

Nocturne is a cool name.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

the last person who spoke my full name died so i will not be revealing the curse in this thread

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i often go by my hebrew name irl because greta is a dorky name for dorks but i'm named after my grandmother so i'd never actually change it

said hebrew name is also a man's name because my mother is a radical (it's still not avshalom)

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Spanish Manlove posted:

My old SA name was a pun on my last name but then brother Jonathan ruined it so I asked garbage day to change it to what I normally use for video games and it's been uphill ever since.

You used to be francostein. Was it bro Jo who changed it to francoDipshit?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

You used to be francostein. Was it bro Jo who changed it to francoDipshit?

YUP!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Spanish Manlove posted:

*sniggers at the name greta*
gently caress u

the best thing about my name is that when i worked retail it directly led to me being befriended by an autistic guy who was obsessed with silent movie stars

he'd make a point of coming in every day to recite facts at me :3:

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Nessa posted:

My middle name is Lynn.

Mine too. I have the most boring, 1970's white Catholic middle class name EVER. My kids have 2 middle names each.

Also, has anyone else watched that new NK documentary? It was p good. I can not wait until the rug cets pulled out from under the Kims.

I'm under surveillance now.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

poopkitty posted:

My kids have 2 middle names each.
are they spanish names? i love how long and ornate those can get.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Avshalom posted:

are they spanish names? i love how long and ornate those can get.

No, although Mr. Kitty's Grandma is Costa Rican/Brasilian and my daughter has her middle name. We almost named her after Grandma's first name but Americans by and large can't pronounce Aida. Nor can they pronounce Aoife or Naimh, so she got the easiest names from our matriarchs.

The boy is all kind of American sounding. Like whoa American. (Even though he's named for Sam Gamgee - well before the movies came out.) The patriarchs had p boring names. (Or Augustin, which came right off the table as soon as it was suggested.)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just heard a story on NPR about Supernatural fans.

There were no mentions of dog dicks.

There was one use of the phrase "slash fiction," and two uses of the word "wincest"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

haha wow yeah way to go admins picking the best mods

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i kind of like augustin :shobon:

i knew a girl named niamh once but her mother was legit irish so it was okay. it's a beautiful name anyway, and at least it is easy to pronounce once it's been clarified

i still feel sorry for the little girl i once read about in a magazine article. she had down syndrome and her name was caoimhe. (pronounced keeva) that's also a real and very pretty name but it seems kind of cruel to give something so hard to pronounce to a kid with special needs

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

I just heard a story on NPR about Supernatural fans.

There were no mentions of dog dicks.

There was one use of the phrase "slash fiction," and two uses of the word "wincest"

really wish i'd made it to the dog dix panel

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

was the panel actually honest to god devoted to the dogdickverse

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Avshalom posted:

gently caress u

the best thing about my name is that when i worked retail it directly led to me being befriended by an autistic guy who was obsessed with silent movie stars

he'd make a point of coming in every day to recite facts at me :3:

in 6th grade we had to pair up and write a poem about the new england patriots and i got paired with the weird christian kid who argued with the teacher about dinosaurs, he was generally a nice person unless you started religious talk. years later he handed me my food at the wendy's drive thru, i said hi and he just smiled at me for about 10 seconds,i swear to god this is a true story

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pick posted:

same

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avshalom posted:

was the panel actually honest to god devoted to the dogdickverse

all things supernatural slash, but absolutely including that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fisticuffs posted:

Goons w/ weird names: I read a study(years ago so my memory is foggy) that postulated that people with unusual names end up being more likely to be criminals, drop-outs, and anti-social... all owing to their names/identity being made fun of an assload as a child.

Did people make fun of your name a lot when you were a kid? My name is a homonym for an underwear company so I definitely go that, but it's really not that weird so it wasn't constant or anything.
Yes, but that's because there weren't a lot of italian-americans where I lived so everyone else thought my name was odd

• Locked thread