Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

a travelling HEGEL posted:

have you tried sleep? it's good for you

Sleeping is giving in, no matter what the time is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 4, 2014

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

speaking as someone who is good with wood (ahahahahaha) you can sand and polish that stuff and not ever have to worry about splinters

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Girl you got the herp. That's nasty.

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

immediately cauterize the affected area
You ladies are jerks. :colbert:

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

t_violet posted:

It's fine to say that "I wouldn't spend $1000 on a coat" but I think it's a bit ridiculous to say no one should. Adults can spend their disposable income on whatever is important to them. Hopefully, they're good people and have chosen to share some of their money to help others but it sounds like some are trying to argue there are absolutes and anyone who makes in excess of $XX should donate the rest to unfortunates? It get real slippery, real fast.

Some people spend $30k+ on a car when a $15k Hyundai would suffice. I get so annoyed because when this poo poo comes up it's always stuff that is associated with being stereotypically "female" as society has deemed stuff for women to have lesser worth than stuff for guys' hobbies. If you've got the disposable income, so freaking what if you choose to spend it on an article of clothing because fashion is important to you? Eh, I'm getting too strident for the thread, I'll just ignore the judgey anti-fashion statements in the future.

Fake edit: And yeah, the $1000 coat is probably over priced from a production standpoint but you're paying for the designer and the "uniqueness" which has value to some people.

Second fake edit: I'm not going anywhere near a therapy debate.

Late on this but this isn't entirely true. There are lots of stereotypically male things that are deemed wasteful expenditures. Like my Nike collection. Or most playing card games. Or video games. Or dudes that have tools they don't know how to use. I'm not going to say one is as bad as the other, as I really haven't thought about it very deeply but I think there are examples on both sides of the fence because society is real good at judging people.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 4, 2014

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

t_violet posted:

Yes, I agree that exceptionally splintery wood products are a great match for the tenderest of the lady bits.

I'm building a garage and am going to make the doors. Not all that exciting but I've been saving up for this project all year and I'm excited that I'm finally doing something beyond just applying for the permit and working on design.

Post pics when you're done, that's awesome! Especially since you designed it yourself. I've been really interested in woodworking lately, I seriously want to learn how to whittle. It's been ages since I did any 3-D work though, so it'd probably end up with a trip to the hospital.

Also, a ceramicist I know makes the most beautiful wheel-thrown, handglazed dildoes and buttplugs you've ever seen. They're so gorgeous you'd almost want to display them on top of your nightstand or dresser instead of hiding them in a drawer.

She's also gorgeous, beautifully dressed, and plays classical guitar. I have the biggest lady crush on her.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Does she sell them? I would LOVE a hand glazed dildo. For reals.

Headed here in April. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanamara_Matsuri

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

amarantinesky posted:

wtf that doll thing is creepy, thanks poopkitty.

Sorry. I know, rite? :shrug:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

poopkitty posted:

That's super cool! I wish I could go.

i am going to paris with my boyfriend this april

what should we do there, goons and goonettes?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

poopkitty posted:

Yeah, but I think she's just doing word of mouth for now. She's a grad student who lives at home... her folks are cool but she'd feel funny doing a mail order sex toy business out of their house.

Also, that festival looks super-cool! And speaking of penises, I watched the India episode of An Idiot Abroad last night, specifically the part with the yogis. Good Lord :stare:

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 18, 2014

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Crow Jane posted:

Post pics when you're done, that's awesome! Especially since you designed it yourself. I've been really interested in woodworking lately, I seriously want to learn how to whittle. It's been ages since I did any 3-D work though, so it'd probably end up with a trip to the hospital.

Also, a ceramicist I know makes the most beautiful wheel-thrown, handglazed dildoes and buttplugs you've ever seen. They're so gorgeous you'd almost want to display them on top of your nightstand or dresser instead of hiding them in a drawer.

She's also gorgeous, beautifully dressed, and plays classical guitar. I have the biggest lady crush on her.

Will do. When I get going on it (the whole project), I think I'm gonna start a thread in DIY & Hobbies for motivation. I should be hopefully getting my permit in a couple of weeks and then I'll be able to break ground. The doors I'm making in a shop class at my local community college so it'll be over the next four months.

Dildo chat: The glass ones I've seen are really neat and look like works of art tho' I think it's still obvious what they are.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i do ceramics at uni and the firing rack is just perpetually full of clay dongs and titties

i mentioned it to the assistant once and she just nonchalantly said "oh yes the kids like making penises"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Avshalom posted:

i do ceramics at uni and the firing rack is just perpetually full of clay dongs and titties

i mentioned it to the assistant once and she just nonchalantly said "oh yes the kids like making penises"

Oh, definitely. It's a rite of passage in just about any sculptural class, I think. I once welded a tit :black101:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I finally got to see that Frozen movie. Pretty good. I do wish tho that the prince hadn't been a bad guy. There was plenty reason for him to try to kill Elsa without being evil.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

RE Frozen he should kill Elsa to end the winter? This is a Disney movie, you don't kill the good guy without looking like a bad guy

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

NecroMonster posted:

lady happy about wood itt

the flooring in our kitchen finally got torn out (it was vinyl, i do not miss it) and the guys are coming next week to put in bamboo after the guy installs our new cabinetry.

the kitchen is gonna loving rule

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Donkay NOoo posted:

RE Frozen he should kill Elsa to end the winter? This is a Disney movie, you don't kill the good guy without looking like a bad guy

No, he shouldn't have killed her, I just said that he shouldn't have been evil. the part where he explains that he's been evil all along and just wanted to be a king and was always planning on killing Elsa even before she doomed her nation with eternal winter. I just wish they hadn't done that part. Cut out that scene and he's just trying to kill her because if he doesn't, literally everyone will die.

grapey
Oct 10, 2012

t_violet posted:

Will do. When I get going on it (the whole project), I think I'm gonna start a thread in DIY & Hobbies for motivation. I should be hopefully getting my permit in a couple of weeks and then I'll be able to break ground. The doors I'm making in a shop class at my local community college so it'll be over the next four months.

Dildo chat: The glass ones I've seen are really neat and look like works of art tho' I think it's still obvious what they are.

Please do start that thread! I would love to read it. Are you pouring the foundation and everything?

grapey
Oct 10, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

That's super cool! I wish I could go.

i am going to paris with my boyfriend this april

what should we do there, goons and goonettes?

Well don't go to that Shakespeare bookstore, because when I was there I couldn't find it and therefore it's totally stupid and boring

grapey
Oct 10, 2012

Obligatory Toast posted:

the flooring in our kitchen finally got torn out (it was vinyl, i do not miss it) and the guys are coming next week to put in bamboo after the guy installs our new cabinetry.

Where you getting dem cabinets? We're hoping to redo our kitchen this summer. Going to get rid of this crappy pergo floor that's pulling apart at almost every single seam.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

grapey posted:

Well don't go to that Shakespeare bookstore, because when I was there I couldn't find it and therefore it's totally stupid and boring

aw gently caress that was already on my to-do list

other items:
1) Get Turkish massages at the Mosque of Paris
2) Tour the sewers (the Parisians are very proud of their sewer system, or so I've been told)
3) See the catacombs
4) Hang with Jews and gays (possibly even Jewish gays) in the Marais

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

grapey posted:

Please do start that thread! I would love to read it. Are you pouring the foundation and everything?

I'm gonna hire out the foundation, partly because I haven't had a chance to take the concrete class yet and partly 'cause I know it's tough, dirty work and I'd rather just get it done right and quickly. But I'm gonna do all the rest with help from friends to raise walls, etc. It's a big project so it's gonna take a while since I'll mostly be working weekends. I'm hoping the thread will keep me more accountable tho'.

Obligatory Toast posted:

grapey posted:

Where you getting dem cabinets? We're hoping to redo our kitchen this summer. Going to get rid of this crappy pergo floor that's pulling apart at almost every single seam.

I realized I was a grown-up when I started spending more time on Apartment Therapy than I did at The Fashion Spot. Who knew new kitchen floors could be so exciting?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

t_violet posted:

I realized I was a grown-up when I started spending more time on Apartment Therapy than I did at The Fashion Spot. Who knew new kitchen floors could be so exciting?

Last year I color-coordinated my bookshelves. I still smile every time I look at them.

A chunk of the tax return this year is going towards a new bedframe. I've been looking online, but everything I love is soooo expensive :(

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Crow Jane posted:

Last year I color-coordinated my bookshelves. I still smile every time I look at them.

I've always been tempted to do that, but what do you do with books from the same series with different spine colors?

Also I know myself well enough to know that spine color would become a pretty big factor in my reading habits from then on

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

grapey posted:

Design company guy is coming for the install this monday??? i guess. we're doing an off-white laminate and my mom isn't completely sold on the idea even though laminate nowadays doesn't loving look like laminate.

whatever we're 40k into this hole and theres no turning back now

grapey
Oct 10, 2012
Lately I go to Young House Love, then Apt. Therapy. But I don't understand doing a time-consuming "mini renovation" a couple years before the real renovation (talking about young house love).

Some things you gotta hire out, though. Like xeriscaping the back yard. Totally worth paying someone to move dirt and haul rocks. That is HARD WORK.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I've always been tempted to do that, but what do you do with books from the same series with different spine colors?

Also I know myself well enough to know that spine color would become a pretty big factor in my reading habits from then on

I don't read a ton of series stuff, and I have a separate bookshelf for comics. I will say it makes finding something kind of a pain, but I suppose maybe in a way it helps your memory.

Some cool beds:

And one I love to death but would probably never buy:

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

And one I love to death but would probably never buy:

This will fit in perfectly with my "I'm-going-to-kill-you-while-wearing-a-cape" decor.
I loving love it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

RebBrownies posted:

This will fit in perfectly with my "I'm-going-to-kill-you-while-wearing-a-cape" decor.
I loving love it.

The only problem with it is that every comforter or set of sheets you ever bought would have to fit the theme. You couldn't do like a light summery bedspread on that thing

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
omg YOU GUYS

i've suffered from a blood disorder called immune thrombocytopaenia since i was 16, basically my immune system is unusually angry and it attacks my blood platelets so my blood doesn't clot. anyway it's been steady and annoying for the past 7 years without changing much one way or the other aside from a few emergencies BUT

i had a blood test yesterday (my first in six months) and my platelet count has bounced back up to normal!

my itp is gone!

i'm free!!

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Avshalom posted:

i had a blood test yesterday (my first in six months) and my platelet count has bounced back up to normal!

my itp is gone!

i'm free!!

Dobby is a free elf!

(Seriously, congratulations on the clean bill of health!)

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Crow Jane posted:

A chunk of the tax return this year is going towards a new bedframe. I've been looking online, but everything I love is soooo expensive :(

Right now, my bookshelves are hidden behind a bunch of power tools and half finished furniture projects. :( I can't wait until I finish my garage/workshop and can finally get all this crap outta of my living space. My living room, not actually ATM because I've since acquired a ginormous dust collector:

I love all the beds you posted but you've already seen my ridiculous bed, I love OTT. Where's the last one from? Mine was from Fabulous&Baroque but bought through a Gilt sale so it was a little cheaper.

grapey posted:

Lately I go to Young House Love, then Apt. Therapy. But I don't understand doing a time-consuming "mini renovation" a couple years before the real renovation (talking about young house love).

Some things you gotta hire out, though. Like xeriscaping the back yard. Totally worth paying someone to move dirt and haul rocks. That is HARD WORK.

I've decided that to have a really beautiful space you have to enjoy the "journey" as much as the end result. Otherwise, it's not really worth it. I think a lot of the home bloggers just love futzing around with stuff and will never actually ever be "finished" with their projects.

I've been trying to teach myself to enjoy the process. I do like the construction aspect but haven't been able to fully get on board with the everyday maintenance and cleaning side of things tho'.

Edit: Yay, Avshalom! That's awesome news! Can you feel a difference?

Tora! Tora! Tora! fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 18, 2014

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

grapey posted:

Totally worth paying someone to move dirt and haul rocks. That is HARD WORK.
also paying to have someone create a dedicated electrical line for the loving oven because they didn't do that when they built your loving house. i can accept the fact that several of our rooms have ceilings and floors that are not level. the oven not having a goddamn dedicated line?? no.

also this gem of a conversation that i woke up to when the guy updating our kitchen plumbing came in:
Mom:"oh yeah if you want to shut off the water to the house, you have to go outside. it's right in front with a manhole cover."
plumber: "you're kidding."

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Congratulations, Avshalom! That's just awesome :)

t_violet posted:

I love all the beds you posted but you've already seen my ridiculous bed, I love OTT. Where's the last one from? Mine was from Fabulous&Baroque but bought through a Gilt sale so it was a little cheaper.
Edit: Yay, Avshalom! That's awesome news! Can you feel a difference?

Sadly it's a pinterest link, I have no idea who actually sells it. Reverse image search brought up pictures of cars, for some reason

I'm thinking of looking for a vintage piece and either refinishing or painting it.

And your living room looks great. I love the deer

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:3: thanks everyone! i feel a lot better but i've been trying to lead a healthier lifestyle in general so idk how much of that is my blood and how much is the rest of me being in generally good repair. still i've had a tragic hosed-up body for literally my whole life so it feels awesome to have nothing clinically wrong with me for the first time in 23 years

the best part is now i can play contact sports again

nobody is safe

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

taco show posted:

Yo lady thread, how do I get waves to stay in my hair for a long time? I have naturally straight kinda fine hair. I've tried rollers and curling irons but the curl either ends up too tight (rollers) or completely falls out after a few hours. I have a quasi ~ hot date ~ on Sunday and I want to look like Lucy Liu.

I usually pin my hair with clips while it's wet and let it air dry, which (unintentionally) gives me a nice little soft wave in my hair. But then I have pretty much the opposite of your hair (really thick, wavy) so it holds pretty much any shape that isn't straight.

By "clips" I mean these things:

Speaking of, I'm having a pretty terrible time with my hair thanks to a bad haircut. What the hell is up with some hairdressers who don't listen and just do whatever the hell they want? I was pretty specific about what I wanted done then she just ignored that, chopped it all off and basically gave me her hairstyle in the process.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Crow Jane posted:

Congratulations, Avshalom! That's just awesome :)

Sadly it's a pinterest link, I have no idea who actually sells it. Reverse image search brought up pictures of cars, for some reason

I'm thinking of looking for a vintage piece and either refinishing or painting it.

And your living room looks great. I love the deer

I never find anything good vintage, it's always just crap misidentified and ridiculously marked up. I think shows like "Antique Roadshow" have made people think anything used must be worth a gazillion dollars. Hopefully there are better picking where you live.

I got the deer head on Etsy a long time ago when they were half as much as she's selling them for now. I'm glad she's doing well but I wish they hadn't gone up so much so I could order another one.

• Locked thread