Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Fruity Gordo posted:

AFRICAN VIOLETS loving RULE. YOU SIT THEM ON A WINDOWSILL AND THEY LOOK CHEERILY AT YOU AND THEN WHEN THY LOOK SLIGHTLY LESS CHEERY YOU GIVE THEM LIKE A TBS OF WATER AND THEYRE LIKE HELLLOOOOOOOOOOO

This one has lovely purplish-blue flowers and lots of buds, I couldn't pass it up.

The full array, for now:

I'm going to put them in nicer pots eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

AriadneThread posted:

for a moment i was very confused "wtf what's with the jew hate" then i realized you were talking about a plant
wow, awkward name for a pest plant

my mum told me where she was told the name came from a couple of years ago and her explanation was loving racist as poo poo (it was the italian one, surprise!) and she blushed the whole time. which is really loving weird bc i'm a jewish convert and i'm still her daughter, it's not like she's talking to some random yeshiva kid who's going to grade her on a righteous gentile scale. ma. chill

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

This one has lovely purplish-blue flowers and lots of buds, I couldn't pass it up.

The full array, for now:

I'm going to put them in nicer pots eventually.

one of your plants looks like a pale flaccid dick lol

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Crow Jane posted:

HELLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO

DOLLY :haw:

gently caress i love african violets

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

one of your plants looks like a pale flaccid dick lol

I know. It's amaryllis and I really need to stake it, but I'm scared of breaking the stalk. The bulb was already flowering when I got it

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I thought it actually looked like some kind of giant slug slowly crawling out of the pot, but then slugs are kinda like flaccid dicks.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Fruity Gordo posted:

my mum told me where she was told the name came from a couple of years ago and her explanation was loving racist as poo poo (it was the italian one, surprise!) and she blushed the whole time. which is really loving weird bc i'm a jewish convert and i'm still her daughter, it's not like she's talking to some random yeshiva kid who's going to grade her on a righteous gentile scale. ma. chill

The legend of the Wandering Jew (person not plant) is actually really interesting. It's been tied to the Count St. Germain, one of my favorite historical urban legends

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
it'd be cool if the flowers just chilled off the side of the pot and played tlc on the stereo the whole time

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Fruity Gordo posted:

it legit boggles my mind that they can grow without ruining things. now i wanna grow them to TAME THE gently caress OUT OF NATURE

All you have to do is grow them in their own pot with some dirt like your average plant. I mean yeah if you tried to grow a creeping-type plant like ivy in a garden it's going to gently caress things up because it spreads. You just gotta keep them under control.

I used to have a kickass philodendron that got pretty huge, but it died and now I kind of miss it. I wish my house wasn't so drafty, everything dies here from the cold.

Fruity Gordo posted:

AFRICAN VIOLETS loving RULE. YOU SIT THEM ON A WINDOWSILL AND THEY LOOK CHEERILY AT YOU AND THEN WHEN THY LOOK SLIGHTLY LESS CHEERY YOU GIVE THEM LIKE A TBS OF WATER AND THEYRE LIKE HELLLOOOOOOOOOOO

I hate African violets because either they end up dying on me or they just sit there and never bloom. Plus my mom and every other adult I've known is obsessed with them, so there's always tons of them around at any given time and I'm sick of looking at them.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

There were some nice philodendrons in hanging baskets at the store, I may end up buying one. I have an awesome old birdcage stand that would be perfect to hang it from.

My house is super-drafty as well though, so I may wait for warmer weather before I make any more plant purchases.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fruity Gordo posted:

Wandering jew, indian paintbrush, that old word for Brazil nut that I'm white enough to not feel comfortable typing, I'm gonna have a garden of nothing but racist plants.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Wandering jew, indian paintbrush, that old word for Brazil nut that I'm white enough to not feel comfortable typing, I'm gonna have a garden of nothing but racist plants.

Throw some belladonna in, it means beautiful woman and is a deadly poison

grapey
Oct 10, 2012
I got paperwhites as a gift and those were impossible to kill, but for some reason they stank, so I put them on the porch to die a cold wintry death.

All other plants inside this house usually die. And the leaves mysteriously have teeth marks in them. But cat teeth can't kill plants, can they?

Even when I plant the most xeriscape-friendly, drought-resistant plants outside (we live in a semi-mountainy climate), half of them die! Even the ones I see everywhere growing as weeks. Guess I'm just lucky!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

grapey posted:

All other plants inside this house usually die. And the leaves mysteriously have teeth marks in them. But cat teeth can't kill plants, can they?

Plants breathe and create energy to live using their leaves, so presumably if they were damaged by cat chewing enough it could kill them. Like a nibble here and there wouldn't be bad, but if the damage is extensive and ongoing I could see how it might kill or at least weaken a plant enough for something else to kill it.

Alternatively, it could be an insect or disease that leaves marks similar to teeth marks? Some pests are so small you can't always see them.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I am still not smoking. No nicotine replacement. Horrible muscle aches though. I want to go do things but I feel like poo poo

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

I am still not smoking. No nicotine replacement. Horrible muscle aches though. I want to go do things but I feel like poo poo

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Also Baltimore breakfast chat is making me miss Paper Moon :-(

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

Hang in there, you are doing awesome and it will get better. Don't be too hard on yourself if it's difficult to do everything you want right now because you're feeling awful.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Pup is fine. We doubled their play area this morning since we had to tire em out (road trip to a vet today) and they basically completely lost their poo poo running around like maniacs on PCP.

Total madness. Just total, complete madness.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Some people have cinder block shelves. I just made kitty litter tub shelves with some kitty litter tubs that I painted black and some white Ikea shelves that I had lying around.

There's now so much space in my office. I really needed more shelving.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 19, 2014

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Pup is fine. We doubled their play area this morning since we had to tire em out (road trip to a vet today) and they basically completely lost their poo poo running around like maniacs on PCP.

Total madness. Just total, complete madness.

I am glad puppy is ok, but sad there is no video or pictures of puppy PCP madness.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Enfys posted:

I am glad puppy is ok, but sad there is no video or pictures of puppy PCP madness.

Nessa posted:

Some people have cinder block shelves. I just made kitty litter tub shelves with some kitty litter tubs that I painted black and some white Ikea shelves that I had lying around.

There's now so much space in my office. I really needed more shelving.

I got so much done today. The friend who was giving me the vintage stove wanted it gone this weekend 'cause she just found out they're moving. (:mad: I hate when good friends move away) So I had to rejigger everything in my house like a big Jenga game. But the deadline meant I finally got to this year old gigantic pile of mail that I'd been avoiding (why do I do that? put it aside for "later" until it becomes this huge chore? I am a moran)

Yay, stove! (needs to be thoroughly cleaned and anti-rusted. I might get the knobs rechromed at some point but the porcelain is in good shape)

New pic of living room, have just enough room to squeeze by the tablesaw outfeed rollers:

Bonus pic of my library with some projects in progress and about 60 BF of sugar maple. Can't see in the pic but there's actually a piano off to the right as well as an entire wall of bookshelves.

I have got to get my garage built before I get used to turning sideways to inch though a room and they find my body crushed beneath old Target bags.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
doobie is my holy war

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

literally me irl

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Avshalom posted:

literally me irl

good to see you back in the realm of the unbanned, also that's amazing

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Avshalom posted:

literally me irl

i like that every now and then you get drunk/high/whatever and post whatever you want, wherever you want

i really respect that in a poster

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
ty both of you, it's good to be back

every so often i like to just have a good time! things kind of go from there

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Avshalom posted:

ty both of you, it's good to be back

every so often i like to just have a good time! things kind of go from there

Oh man I didn't realize you got hit again. We're going to need to take up a fund for you!

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Maybe if you kept your crazy posting to this thread you wouldn't get in trouble (we prob wouldn't report you)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

detectivemonkey posted:

Oh man I didn't realize you got hit again. We're going to need to take up a fund for you!
i got overexcited about doobies dogs

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
skeletons new hotdogs

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Putty posted:

skeletons new hotdogs

skeletal hotdogs

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Avshalom posted:

i got overexcited about doobies dogs

Entrapment.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I worked like 60 hours this weekend and today had to do homework while waiting for videos to convert for real work and I'm just so tired. Now I have to write smart things about epistemology and I JUST CAN'T. I might dye my hair instead.

Edit to avoid a doublepost: I have a kitten who is gray. I also have a gray sofa with a gray blanket because my furniture reflects my soul. This kitten likes to wrap herself in blankets and has extremely dramatic eyes and seems to sleep with them half-open most of the time. She has been hiding most of her face behind a blanket and staring at me for a really long time and I'm pretty sure she's plotting something pls send help, lady thread.

defectivemonkey fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 20, 2014

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi96ucB7ZdI

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

amazingly, this is less torturous to listen to than the original scene

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

detectivemonkey posted:

I worked like 60 hours this weekend and today had to do homework while waiting for videos to convert for real work and I'm just so tired. Now I have to write smart things about epistemology and I JUST CAN'T. I might dye my hair instead.

Edit to avoid a doublepost: I have a kitten who is gray. I also have a gray sofa with a gray blanket because my furniture reflects my soul. This kitten likes to wrap herself in blankets and has extremely dramatic eyes and seems to sleep with them half-open most of the time. She has been hiding most of her face behind a blanket and staring at me for a really long time and I'm pretty sure she's plotting something pls send help, lady thread.

Request pics of plotting kitty thx.

Also: In the avoidance of doublepost vein - I am making southern food for dinner and simmering collards w/bacon smell ahmayzing and I started drinking Suntory and coke like an hour ago and it is 2 PM here. Not sure if those 2 things are related.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
i have an orchid that i bought from ikea and i thought i killed it for a bit there when the blooms fell off, but then it grew a new flower spike and it's close to blooming again. yay :3:

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

poopkitty posted:

Request pics of plotting kitty thx.

Also: In the avoidance of doublepost vein - I am making southern food for dinner and simmering collards w/bacon smell ahmayzing and I started drinking Suntory and coke like an hour ago and it is 2 PM here. Not sure if those 2 things are related.

She is plotting in the darkness right now and her sister has me pinned down with cuddles (likely part of the plan). However, here are some pictures of previous plottings.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aw damg, that comes out the same day as Ground Zeroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 4, 2014

• Locked thread