Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dizz posted:

What's the preferred build for Origional Black Widow? 5 purple/blue and 3 black?
Most people use 3/5/5 as you can steal the main nuke colours at a much lower cost that way. Otherwise, 5 purple means you can shut down other widows a little more effectively, but you should always have at least 4 in black because the Espionage damage counts as a separate attack making her a major damage dealer once you get strike tiles up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Jesus that wolverine healing nerf was bad. The green seemed OK until they stealth nerfed the boost into HC over iso. When I could buy arsenals for iso 6 v 3 didn't matter because of the reduced need for reds 3 v 5, but now I can't just buy arsenals. This blows.

The HC swap is actually the first nerf that is really making me think about not playing any more.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Evil Vin posted:

What the hell, they also changed the price of that 3+ all colors to hero coins.

WELP it was fun while it lasted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dizz posted:

What's the preferred build for Origional Black Widow? 5 purple/blue and 3 black?

5 purple, 5 blue, 3 black: less damage, steal all colors (but slower ramp up to first steal), heal against PvE mooks and their countdown spam
5 purple, 3 blue, 5 black: double-dip strike tiles, limited healing in PvE (but still full amount), still steal 4 of every color for 11AP
3 purple, 5 blue, 5 black: steal 3 of every color except purple, full healing opportunities, doubled damage.

Most people prefer 3/5/5 because it also gets OBW stealing AP faster when on defense (for harassing the enemy) but when you'd like to stop your opponent's purple abilities you'll feel it (common with HAMMER mooks but mostly a perception bias thing). 5/3/5 has no downside in PvP aside from the very few heroes who make countdowns, assuming you don't mined the 11AP steal. 5/5/3 is what I use (because I underestimated the effect of her double-dip when a strike feeder gets her rolling) and I manage just fine even if guys take an extra match or two to fall over.

None of them are "sell it and start over" bad.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Evil Vin posted:

Also the cost of 3rg and friends went up to 200 from 100. That's the nail in the coffin, goodnight everybody! :tipshat:

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
I guess they aren't really comparable, but the monetization strategy of the F2P Marvel Heroes ARPG on PC is just so much more player-friendly than this piece of crap. As far as I can tell, nothing is really held back from you in Marvel Heroes unless you just can't wait to dress up your hero in a costume from your favorite story arc. There must be some way they could have made money from a Marvel mobile game without ruining the goodwill of all their customers.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
"What's our design philosophy this month?"

"Same thing as last month -- poo poo at a wall."

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Nerf them! Nerf them all to hell I say :unsmigghh:
Each strike brings Lord Ragna the Rok closer to godhood. Soon He shall rule these boards once again.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Maybe it will be like shields and they'll quickly realize that this is a huge mistake.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
In the end, the only good thing to come out of this game will probably be adding the word "Funbalanced" to my vocabulary. My friend just got his Time Warner cable Funbalanced somehow. I'm determined to get my friends to use that insulting phrase regularly.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Wolverine and Thor were my strongest characters. 45 and 47 respectively.

I think I'm done with this game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Evil Vin posted:

Ahahahaha I considered posting in the thread that they added a 5hp cost to skipping as a joke just to see who would bite, and they turn around to do something worse.

On the upside someone new discovered Puzzle & Dragons so that's a good thing. Just remember the cardinal rule, DO NOT SPEND MONEY OUTSIDE OF A GODFEST. They come once every couple weeks and it's a colossal waste of money to roll outside of one. Make sure it's a Godfest too and not a Carnival, the button to roll will say "Godfest live!".

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

BGrifter posted:

Ahahahaha I considered posting in the thread that they added a 5hp cost to skipping as a joke just to see who would bite, and they turn around to do something worse.

On the upside someone new discovered Puzzle & Dragons so that's a good thing. Just remember the cardinal rule, DO NOT SPEND MONEY OUTSIDE OF A GODFEST. They come once every couple weeks and it's a colossal waste of money to roll outside of one. Make sure it's a Godfest too and not a Carnival, the button to roll will say "Godfest live!".

Yeah, I think all my attention will shortly be transferred to PAD and Clash of Clans.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus dont get into Clash of Clans what's wrong with you?! :stonk:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Mr. Met posted:

I guess they aren't really comparable, but the monetization strategy of the F2P Marvel Heroes ARPG on PC is just so much more player-friendly than this piece of crap. As far as I can tell, nothing is really held back from you in Marvel Heroes unless you just can't wait to dress up your hero in a costume from your favorite story arc. There must be some way they could have made money from a Marvel mobile game without ruining the goodwill of all their customers.
The closest thing to a gameplay–affecting purchase in Marvel Heroes is stash space, honestly, which can't be acquired any other way. Everything else that can be bought with real money is purely cosmetic, can occasionally drop in–game, and/or has a very minor effect on gameplay. Most importantly, there's a separate kind of currency that drops from enemies at a rate of one unit roughly every eight minutes, and is used to buy heroes as well as some other, minor items.

It makes MPQ look hilariously bad, though like you said there's no real point comparing them, I suppose.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

A huge part of the balance problem of the game was boosts and low AP cost heroes, as well as wolverines healing basically completely circumventing the stamina system.

The optimal move was to get 6 AP in 4 colors (really just 3 colors, red green and yellow) to start a round and it was so cheap to do so and ragnarok wolverine Thor and Spider-Man can use so many abilities with them from turn 1 that it basically didn't matter who you were facing. Pvp should have at least a significant defense strategy component even if it's passive, and there was almost none at all.

If you guys can't see how that directly resulted in 15/85/85 Thor wolverine teams and why facing basically only thors and wolverines is boring as hell I don't know what to tell you. Those balances are good for the game even if we're all spoiled on broken as he'll wolverine/rag/spidey/thor. They probably should've just removed all AP boosts or lowered them to 2 AP each instead of 3.

What's not good for the game is the reward system and the "wealth gap" and pay to win when combined with pvp. Pay to win pve is whatever but pay to win pvp is pretty lovely, even if it is profitable.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Evil Vin posted:

Wish I noticed that before I clicked it :doh: Pretty pissed off about it.

- edit And now the game runs like complete crap on my netbook.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 28, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SynthOrange posted:

You can play that game without cash was easier than this or PAD

messagemode1 posted:

A huge part of the balance problem of the game was boosts and low AP cost heroes, as well as wolverines healing basically completely circumventing the stamina system.

The optimal move was to get 6 AP in 4 colors (really just 3 colors, red green and yellow) to start a round and it was so cheap to do so and ragnarok wolverine Thor and Spider-Man can use so many abilities with them from turn 1 that it basically didn't matter who you were facing. Pvp should have at least a significant defense strategy component even if it's passive, and there was almost none at all.

If you guys can't see how that directly resulted in 15/85/85 Thor wolverine teams and why facing basically only thors and wolverines is boring as hell I don't know what to tell you. Those balances are good for the game even if we're all spoiled on broken as he'll wolverine/rag/spidey/thor. They probably should've just removed all AP boosts or lowered them to 2 AP each instead of 3.

What's not good for the game is the reward system and the "wealth gap" and pay to win when combined with pvp. Pay to win pve is whatever but pay to win pvp is pretty lovely, even if it is profitable.

But the game is entirely pay to win if you can't get around the stamina costs at high levels.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The padlocking of +3/All makes some sense from a gameplay standpoint. However, two major flaws:

1) One of the main features that helps cheapskates compete with whales is now a whale-only resource. All those people bitching about this becoming "the rich get richer?" They'll love this, especially as they stare at their emasculated Thor and Wolvie.

2) Zero communication. Though that has come to be expected.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

messagemode1 posted:

If by "balance problems" from the boosts, you mean "being able to play for extended periods of time without medkits", then sure. I think the asymmetry is pretty crucial for an enjoyable experience, unless down time is severely reduced.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

SynthOrange posted:

I'm... uh... kinda addicted to Jungle Heat :smithicide:

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
I think what annoys me is that if you take the approach that every color AP boosts are a fundamental balance problem, they should be removed from the game. Instead, by just switching the cost to the "real money" currency, it looks like you're trying to find new ways to squeeze people for cash rather than fix your game, and that feeds resentment.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Oh great, an update.

They've made some skills quicker. No more waiting 5 seconds for wolverine to heal.

Also, 10 ISO skip cost. hrmmm. e: this went away after 2 matches??

100hp for +3 all. Complete bullshit.

iRend fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 28, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

- edit And now the game runs like complete crap on my netbook.

Seriously, how do they get a simple puzzle game from running silky smooth to nearly slow motion? It's unplayable now.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Seriously, how do they get a simple puzzle game from running silky smooth to nearly slow motion? It's unplayable now.

Obviously the next boost they're going to release is going to be for the return of non-lovely performance, only 200 HP for a 3 pack.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Welp, it's hosed. The devs are just greedy fuckers. I've been willing to give them the benefit of the doubt up to now. Oh well, it was fun for four months I guess.

Gallow posted:

In the end, the only good thing to come out of this game will probably be adding the word "Funbalanced" to my vocabulary. My friend just got his Time Warner cable Funbalanced somehow. I'm determined to get my friends to use that insulting phrase regularly.

This, though, I like.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

100HP for +3 to all is just a stupid price you can't possibly make it back. If they want people to buy it price it at 5 or 10 HP for a pack of 3, people WILL buy it to try and squeek up a bracket at the last minute. No one is going to buy it other then accidentally.

It's probably going to get changed much like how shields at double cost only lasted a single tournament.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just accidentally spent 100hp on a triple gem boost. Wait...this costs 100hp now.. well gently caress this game. Time to uninstall.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

messagemode1 posted:

I agree with all this. Wolvy and Thor being nerfed is a good thing and in the long run we all know it. It really sucks that 75% of teams use two characters almost exclusively. Most of the other 2-stars aren't BAD, but there's little incentive to use them when Wolvy and Thor were so overpowered.

And I also agree with the "wealth gap" being a huge problem. The upside to Wolvy and Thor were how easy they were to obtain. Most non-pay players don't have reliable 3-star characters with enough covers to level sufficiently, and the only way to get them without paying tends to be placing very high in events, which is also very tough without those high-level covers. I don't know, I'll wait to see how rewards and tournaments shape up in the near future.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
They're in full on "gently caress the player base squeeze out every last dime" mode. I'd be surprised if the game is even around in six months. These are the actions of a company that sees no future in their game trying to grab every last nickel and dime they can before the players all quit in disgust.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's not much consolation but the official forum is exploding and the devs seem to have run for the hills. :laugh:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

McDragon posted:

It's not much consolation but the official forum is exploding and the devs seem to have run for the hills. :laugh:

Oho?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's a lot harder to beat that 230 Daken, Moonstone. and Ragnarok mission now. My single purple covered Grey Widow doesn't help matters.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I agree with all this. Wolvy and Thor being nerfed is a good thing and in the long run we all know it. It really sucks that 75% of teams use two characters almost exclusively. Most of the other 2-stars aren't BAD, but there's little incentive to use them when Wolvy and Thor were so overpowered.

It's not a good thing when it's done in way that destroys both the existing player base and the new player experience! They really should have worked out all of their balance changes in one go and implemented a respec system. Instead, we have rolling nerfs/buffs that invalidate players' time/money investments.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Holy poo poo, dual color boosts cost 200ISO now, too.

e: sold my wolverine, used the 35k ISO to level up Daken. He's better now. Sad.

iRend fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 28, 2014

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I am updating for the sheer morbid glee of it. I powered up to #1 (temporarily) in Reunion and #10 overall, so I might as well see what it's like on the other side now.

Seriously, it's mind-boggling that they did this right in the middle of an event, with a two-part update (one server patch, one app update) that means that some people are playing with 200 ISO/3 AP boosts and Broken Patch and some aren't.

EDIT: And for the first time in about a month, I got a Daily Reward just now. :v:

delfin fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 29, 2014

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
And patch is fixed with the downloadable update.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
As someone who has no problem tossing money at this game every couple of weeks, I'm happy to say I'm done with it. The combination of nerfs to strike tile accumulation and AP buying, along with increasingly (stupidly) difficult PVE events mean I have gone from being able to reliably end in an event's top 10 to not even being able to clear any fight with a hero, and MAYBE being able to clear fights with mooks. Since I can't keep up, I won't be able to get new hero covers when they release and will continue to spiral down.

What a poo poo show. What the gently caress were these guys thinking? There was that one guy posting how his roommate worked on this game. It's too bad the roommate didn't check this thread to see how lovely they were making their game.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

delfin posted:

I am updating for the sheer morbid glee of it. I powered up to #1 (temporarily) in Reunion and #10 overall, so I might as well see what it's like on the other side now.

Seriously, it's mind-boggling that they did this right in the middle of an event, with a two-part update (one server patch, one app update) that means that some people are playing with 200 ISO/3 AP boosts and Broken Patch and some aren't.

Yeah, I accidentally closed the program, and now I'm done. It's not worth trying to keep pace with people who have the un-patched version.

The nerfs with lack of respecs annoy me, but the loss of affordable boosts really means that I can't play reliably anymore, especially with scaling enemies. I can sort of get by with blue boost, luck, and spiderman, but once his impending nerf drops, I don't really see the point of playing anymore. And I probably put in close to $100 since I started playing, so I'm not even a free player bitching about spending a couple bucks. At least I got a couple hundred hours out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
IceIX drew the short straw:

quote:

I'll confirm that this change was deliberate. It'll be added to the Patch Notes momentarily. It got missed since it was part of the daily updates that go across instead of as a part of the changes that take place in the Patch itself. I completely understand that it's a big change for some players, but it wasn't meant to be a "stealth nerf" or anything of the sort.