Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I can't seem to get the planetside teleporter mod that came with Desideratus' Exploration Enchanced mod to work, and I'm not sure if it's me being daft or the teleporters just plain not working.

I can craft the items and create the coordinates just fine, but after the teleporter eats the coordinates you make it acts like it has no coordinates set. Neither the ones you make by hitting F or the ones made by the teleporter coordinates writer will make the teleporter remember the coordinates. If I stand on top of a teleporter and hits G it doesn't give me a coordinate item copy either. Has anyone gotten this to work with the newest EE mod?

This is the only mod I have installed at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

AG3 posted:

I can't seem to get the planetside teleporter mod that came with Desideratus' Exploration Enchanced mod to work, and I'm not sure if it's me being daft or the teleporters just plain not working.
Did you read documentation/look at videos on this page?
Not gonna lie, I haven't actually played with the teleport system (I spend way more time modding this game than playing it :v: ), but it looked like it was working on my end (i.e. the code checked out and everything showed up).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Probably not, because the reason for wipes is because of incompatibility issues between the new version of the executable and and old save data. It's not like they do wipes just for shits and giggles.

Oh, I agree with that. Sorry for any confusion, I think you're reading my comment out of context. I meant specifically

Desideratus posted:

Be aware that loading your EE file without EE will wipe your singleplayer worlds

the fear of forgetting to re-install your mod when going back to singleplayer from multiplayer and thus wiping your singleplayer galaxy.

Desideratus posted:

[farnsworth]Good news everyone![/farnsworth]
The thing I'm working on now has this, as well as a batch-smelter and batch-refinery. I'm currently having an issue with getting recipes to show up, but fear not: I am working on it!

gently caress yes!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Desideratus posted:

Did you read documentation/look at videos on this page?
Not gonna lie, I haven't actually played with the teleport system (I spend way more time modding this game than playing it :v: ), but it looked like it was working on my end (i.e. the code checked out and everything showed up).

Yeah, I watched the video a while ago but didn't try the mod, and watched it again tonight after it didn't work for me. Everything seems to work just like in the video except the teleporter doesn't seem to remember the coordinates it's fed and thus refuses to teleport me, and will also not create copies of coordinates it has been fed. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or if it just broke after the most recent patch.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Desideratus posted:

Just so everyone is on the same page, this is one of the new projectile types from my Combat Overhaul mod.

No prob, I'm happy to help; I'd actually love a trip report of multiplayer EE, as far as I know nobody has extensively hosted an EE server yet. As always, drop me a line if you find any bugs or other weirdness, and I'll have a fix out within an hour of seeing your message :)

:effort:

The thing I'm working on now has this, as well as a batch-smelter and batch-refinery. I'm currently having an issue with getting recipes to show up, but fear not: I am working on it!

If you want I could probably whip up a quick batch file to auto rename folders for you. One batch preps your folder for multiplayer, another Batch preps your folder for single player.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to mod the game, I think I'll start simple with a quick "Pick Axe" overhaul. Basically, I'm planning to up the Matter Manipulator to 3, and the Pickaxe's up to 4x4, then also make them a SMIDGE bit quicker.

UH...

How do I get started?

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

AG3 posted:

Yeah, I watched the video a while ago but didn't try the mod, and watched it again tonight after it didn't work for me. Everything seems to work just like in the video except the teleporter doesn't seem to remember the coordinates it's fed and thus refuses to teleport me, and will also not create copies of coordinates it has been fed. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or if it just broke after the most recent patch.

I'm also having this exact same issue! EE and the combat overhaul are the only two mods I have (just installed them), and I've been following the documentation and video for the teleporter to the letter.

Also, and I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but the game doesn't seem to be generating any asteroid fields since I installed EE.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Turtlicious posted:

I want to mod the game, I think I'll start simple with a quick "Pick Axe" overhaul. Basically, I'm planning to up the Matter Manipulator to 3, and the Pickaxe's up to 4x4, then also make them a SMIDGE bit quicker.

UH...

How do I get started?

First off, since they've packed up the default assets, you'll want to unpack them so you have a reference. This thread can show you.

Then, you'll just start by making replacement files for the default items in a folder of your own under $INSTALL_DIR/mods. You'll want your folder structure to match the default assets' structure.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Kyrosiris posted:

First off, since they've packed up the default assets, you'll want to unpack them so you have a reference. This thread can show you.

Screw that, just run this instead. It's a command file I made, it'll extract everything to Starbound/Assets/test. It will take a minute or two to unpack, just wait until the command prompt closes itself.

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 29, 2014

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Desideratus posted:

Screw that, just run this instead. It's a command file I made, it'll extract everything to Starbound/Assets/test. It will take a minute or two to unpack, just wait until the command prompt closes itself.

By the way, this assumes Steam is installed at the default folder (under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam), but you can edit it with a text editor to change the Steam folder to the one you have if you didn't go with the default path.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I've just started getting into the whole modding scene so I'm still getting used to it. So how exactly are mods updated? I'll use Desideratus's Exploration mod as an example. Say I'm using his mod now, and he comes out with an update. Would I need to download the file again and replace the one I'm currently using?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Desideratus posted:

Just so everyone is on the same page, this is one of the new projectile types from my Combat Overhaul mod.

No prob, I'm happy to help; I'd actually love a trip report of multiplayer EE, as far as I know nobody has extensively hosted an EE server yet. As always, drop me a line if you find any bugs or other weirdness, and I'll have a fix out within an hour of seeing your message :)

:effort:

How does the first fix, the one for melee hitboxes, work in reality? Because I have noticed that melee combat is pretty weird in this game, but not that it's too easy, more that it's just really weird and I kind of just flail around and take damage and hit things until they're dead hoping they don't hit me. Does it fix that or?

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Over There posted:

I've just started getting into the whole modding scene so I'm still getting used to it. So how exactly are mods updated? I'll use Desideratus's Exploration mod as an example. Say I'm using his mod now, and he comes out with an update. Would I need to download the file again and replace the one I'm currently using?
As it stands? Yes.

Bob NewSCART posted:

How does the first fix, the one for melee hitboxes, work in reality? Because I have noticed that melee combat is pretty weird in this game, but not that it's too easy, more that it's just really weird and I kind of just flail around and take damage and hit things until they're dead hoping they don't hit me. Does it fix that or?
Somewhat? Melee is handled like guns, in that swords shoot a "projectile" that roughly matches their animation; The problem is, the animation lasts ages (used to be 0.9 seconds, is now 0.6 seconds) and the hitbox is huge, so hitting is trivial. I altered the swing times and wind-up (lifting a greatsword before an overhead chop, etc) to be 0.3 seconds, and the hitbox now mostly matches the animation (Which was also hemmed in a bit). You just need to time your swings. The overall increase in melee damage means more general knockback too, so you can keep enemies at bay while damaging them if you just time your swings properly. It takes a short bit to get used to, but once you sorta get a feel for how the hitbox works it's much better feeling, IMO.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Desideratus posted:

As it stands? Yes.

Does this mean that the universe will be reset each time I do this or only the first time?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

Hey goons, want Pulse Jump in the dang Alpha Sector instead of, like, Gamma?

Alpha Ups Sgr 49 I a
X: 91424654
Y: -80180912
Arid
Threat Level: 1

A couple screens west of spawn is an Apex obstacle course with Pulse Jump at the end (end about 2 screens east of entrance for the direct among us). It's the meanest course I've seen so far, so bring a pickaxe and a bunch of wood platforms.

In prep for the Dragon boss, I decided that you know what? I'd really like a Pulse Jump. The last two techs I have found have been energy dash. I've never used coordinates from others before, but hey what's the harm in earning a double jump in a death course?

So, you weren't loving kidding about this being the most bonkers crazy death course ever seen yet. Being unable to turn off energy dash also made me almost die several times from it triggering, even with titanium armor the Tesla spikes take off over 1/3 my health, on top of gravity being super light making those precision arc jumps probably impossible to safely do legit without bashing your head against things :shepicide:

And then, I finally reach the end... Inside the chest for me was an Energy Dash.

:suicide:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 29, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Desideratus posted:

Oh well that works. :v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

:smugdog:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

In prep for the Dragon boss, I decided that you know what? I'd really like a Pulse Jump. The last two techs I have found have been energy dash. I've never used coordinates from others before, but hey what's the harm in earning a double jump in a death course?

So, you weren't loving kidding about this being the most bonkers crazy death course ever seen yet. Being unable to turn off energy dash also made me almost die several times from it triggering, even with titanium armor the Tesla spikes take off over 1/3 my health, on top of gravity being super light making those precision arc jumps probably impossible to safely do legit without bashing your head against things :shepicide:

And then, I finally reach the end... Inside the chest for me was an Energy Dash.

I know it's lame but am I the only one that just digs to the chests? I lag way to much in the obstacle courses to be able to navigate them without dying.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kyrosiris posted:

Then, you'll just start by making replacement files for the default items in a folder of your own under $INSTALL_DIR/mods. You'll want your folder structure to match the default assets' structure.

so Faster Mining/assets/items/tools

or Faster Mining/items/tools?

For some reason my mod isn't working

Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? http://www.sendspace.com/file/rok6op

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 29, 2014

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Section Z posted:

BetterBeamAxe fixes this.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I grabbed Ammo overhaul (MMN) and it plays fine with Desideratus' Combat Overhaul mod. The best part about it is once you unlock the steel tier, you can craft your own guns. I'm running through Tier 3 with a rocket launcher that shoots a rocket that splits into two. It 'says' it does 26 damage, but I usually two shot, if not one shot, enemies when I hit em with the rocket. Which isn't 26 damage at all.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Section Z posted:

You know that you can just use your MM/pick/drill to go straight for the chest right? :) The obstacle course is fun the first couple times but after that I just cut my way through.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

m.hache posted:

I know it's lame but am I the only one that just digs to the chests? I lag way to much in the obstacle courses to be able to navigate them without dying.

I do the same. It's really just a time-saving measure since a) I'm probably gonna steal a bunch of cool blocks from this dungeon anyway, and b) I'd just end up digging up the tesla spikes and stuff so I might as well skip that and not end up with a bunch of tesla spikes I have no use for. The game runs better after the last patch, but it still lags enough that trying to do obstacle courses loving sucks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

so Faster Mining/assets/items/tools

or Faster Mining/items/tools?

For some reason my mod isn't working

The latter, I'm sorry. Your mod folder (Faster Mining, in this case) is the "assets" folder. You'll want it to be $INSTALL_DIR/mods/Faster Mining/items/tools/pickaxe.miningtool, etc.

I also don't know if it gets spaces, so maybe make it FasterMining instead.

Oh right and you need a .modinfo file in the root directory, more info on that here, generally named $NAMEOFMOD.modinfo

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

zgrowler2 posted:

BetterBeamAxe fixes this.

Trastion posted:

You know that you can just use your MM/pick/drill to go straight for the chest right? :) The obstacle course is fun the first couple times but after that I just cut my way through.

Oh, I had plenty of cobblestone to give things the finger when it went too far into bullshit. But my being unable to turn off energy dash still almost killed me when trying to make fine adjustments in position and WHOOPS I've hurled myself into an electric wall like a moron.

I just made a token effort to make it through without making my own building wide network of safety covers and platforms. But some of those "jump through these gaps with tesla spikes above and below them" with the notably low and floaty gravity were just NOPE and it was redecorating time.

Now, if BetterBeamAxe gave me a double jump? That'd be swell. Generally good advice from a sanity standpoint, but "just mod the game you idiot" doesn't exactly solve the original problem of "Randomized death course + randomized gravity = Wonky game design moment".

Besides, I'm one of those assholes who tries to play vanilla usually and rolls my eyes when advice veers towards is "Just mod it". Though I edited the hell out of my beamaxe in prior patches to diamond pick levels.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 29, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there anything special I need to do to get mods working on a server I'm hosting from my computer?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

:getin: :rock: :flame:

Do I need to say any more?

So your character is named Aperaham Lincoln, correct? :allears:

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

m.hache posted:

Is there anything special I need to do to get mods working on a server I'm hosting from my computer?

Just run the server with the mods installed. Anybody who connects is going to need a copy of your starbound/mods folder installed, unless they enjoy crashing.

I sometimes put up a modded server for a few friends, and I just keep an updated mods.rar containing an exact copy of my /mods folder in my dropbox to send them a link to.

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 29, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Green Calx posted:

Just run the server with the mods installed. Anybody who connects is going to need a copy of your /mods folder installed, unless they enjoy crashing. I sometimes put up a modded server for a few friends, and I just keep an updated mods.rar in my dropbox to send them a link to.

So just to clarify:

The mods I have running in my Mods folder translates to my server as well?

So the only "Required" mod is Enhanced Exploration in that case. Lightdrones and Combat overhaul should only affect my screen.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

If you're running the server from that install, everything in your /mods folder is going to be running on your server as well. Some things, like the matter manipulator, can be different on the client side and cause no problems, while others, such as things that add new assets or art, will cause people without those mods installed to crash/have weird glitches.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Green Calx posted:

If you're running the server from that install, everything in your /mods folder is going to be running on your server as well. Some things, like the matter manipulator, can be different on the client side and cause no problems, while others, such as things that add new assets or art, will cause people without those mods installed to crash/have weird glitches.

Awesome, thanks. It's just a server for my friend and myself. We're generally on the same page.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Section Z posted:

Energy Dash.

:stonklol:

Sorry, man. I have a spare if you want to meet up on the goon server.

It's weird how most of the time it's the same tech in a chest, but then there's... outliers.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Just so you know, the little planet next to the one you pointed everyone to? there's an apex lab on that with the gravity neutraliser in it.

So far these two worlds have like three different techs.

Gamma Marinius Minoris VI.
X: -45
Y: 100000071
Desert world

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

So your character is named Aperaham Lincoln, correct? :allears:
that's Glory Beefjeff. You can see his name in the upper leff.

t.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone know why server console is throwing these errors:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Gradually coming along. Doing armor is terrible(/I'm terrible at doing armor).

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Delta Quadrant, X 43408517 Y -26782245 Delta Xi Ser 0595 Ia has a matter lab almost immediately left from beam in. Found a blue quality pistol in a chest a little beyond it that shoots little orbs that bounce off of walls and have an electrical explosion effect when they strike a mob too, though that might be random.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

m.hache posted:

Anyone know why server console is throwing these errors:

I'm getting a lot of these too when I host my server. Unfortunately, I have no idea what is causing it... would love to know, though. It didn't happen in the last build.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Going for a sort of Centurion look for my t8 armor.

Which of these heads do you guys think looks the best? Not really which one is closest to the look I'm trying to achieve, that's not as important is looking kickass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

:siren: Oh hey, I guess I'll just leave this here :siren:

It's the early version of my Advanced Workstations mod!

Here's what it currently includes:
  • Industrial Smelter: This upgraded smelter converts ores to bars faster than you can imagine, up to 500 bars at a time! Just be careful, trying to craft more than 500 may eat ore, since the game doesn't really handle pulling from multiple stacks.
  • Bulk Refinery: An enhanced refinery that can convert up to 1,000 ore or bars into pixels at once! You'll never be poor again!

Here's what I'm gonna add in the next couple days:
  • Medical Station: Here you can craft all manner of stims and medical supplies! FDA supervision not included.
  • Bomb-Making Shop: Because it's scientifically proven that more explosions === more better. Will include a couple new types of bomb, mainly meant for destroying tiles.
  • Vend-A-Blade: A vending machine that takes pixels and dispenses a random melee weapon, complete with a small chance of a rare drop!
  • Vend-A-Gun: A vending machine that takes pixels and dispenses a random gun, complete with a small chance of a rare drop!

Not gonna lie, this one was totally rushed because I won't be able to work on it again until midday tomorrow, and I really REALLY wanted to get this out there, cuz I know people want what it offers. There shouldn't be bugs, recipes unlock as you go up tiers, and as always let me know if anything is busted.

Hugs & Kisses~

• Locked thread