Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You begin by not helping him. You are the alpha and the omega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just say shadows are great, have him buy an overpriced 5k shadow, forget about it.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
So in March I'll be in the market for my fourth bike in 18 months. I'll finally be able to ride something with more than a seventh of the power of the gixxer z3n made for me in the States.

Clearly it's time to start obsessively scouring bike forums, pricing stuff up and going on test rides, etc. If I was just buying for me, I'd follow the CA hivemind and get a supermoto, but my mail-order gf will be around then and I need something we can go multi-day touring on and/or get into another financially lucrative accident with.

Other than being able to carry a pillion, attributes I'm also keen on:

Cheap(ish)
Decent suspension (or cheaply upgradable)
Fast enough to make me feel like a REAL MANG on trips out of Melbourne's speed camera hell
As user-maintainable as possible
Decent range would be nice

I'd prefer something without fairings, but I realise that I'm probably in sports tourer territory here, so that's kind of unlikely.

Thoughts so far:

VFR800 with over 50,000 km on the clock so the $$$ valve service is already done
Z750
F800S
90s sportsbike (YZF600R or such-like - litrebikes are probably out because they're an insurance nightmare here)

Alternatively:

(e: 2005/2006) Super Duke 990's are surprisingly affordable here and a bargain to insure because they don't look like a crotch rocket and are therefore COMPLETELY SANE.

Am I thinking in an appropriate direction, or are these all dumb choices?

I've ridden z3n's handlebarred Daytona and that would probably be ideal (pillion comfort aside) but Triumphs cost a FORTUNE here, so, uh, yeah.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 31, 2014

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Koruthaiolos posted:

One of my coworkers is insisting I help him find a bike because I ride. He says he wants to commute on it during the summer including a bit of interstate. He also says his fat wife needs to be able to be comfortable on the back and probably needs something that can have a back rest for her. I've already convinced him to take the MSF. He grew up with a scooter and some kind of small Honda and he likes the idea of a "Harles Davis motorcycle."

At first was super intrigued by buying a BMW C 650. He looked up the price and sounded enthused that he would only be paying 149 a month for 48 months and then a 5000 balloon payment. I talked him out of that and now he sending me links to the Honda Shadow Line.

I don't really want to be roped into this task, and hopefully I won't be his coworker too much longer so it won't really matter, but he keeps asking me everyday and I don't even really know where to begin.
start answering every sentence by growling "ducati" until he leaves you alone

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

prukinski posted:

So in March I'll be in the market for my fourth bike in 18 months. I'll finally be able to ride something with more than a seventh of the power of the gixxer z3n made for me in the States.

Clearly it's time to start obsessively scouring bike forums, pricing stuff up and going on test rides, etc. If I was just buying for me, I'd follow the CA hivemind and get a supermoto, but my mail-order gf will be around then and I need something we can go multi-day touring on and/or get into another financially lucrative accident with.

Other than being able to carry a pillion, attributes I'm also keen on:

Cheap(ish)
Decent suspension (or cheaply upgradable)
Fast enough to make me feel like a REAL MANG on trips out of Melbourne's speed camera hell
As user-maintainable as possible
Decent range would be nice

I'd prefer something without fairings, but I realise that I'm probably in sports tourer territory here, so that's kind of unlikely.

Thoughts so far:

VFR800 with over 50,000 km on the clock so the $$$ valve service is already done has already been neglected for 30k km.
Z750
F800S
90s sportsbike (YZF600R or such-like - litrebikes are probably out because they're an insurance nightmare here)

Alternatively:

Super Dukes are surprisingly affordable here and a bargain to insure because they don't look like a crotch rocket and are therefore COMPLETELY SANE.

Am I thinking in an appropriate direction, or are these all dumb choices?

I've ridden z3n's handlebarred Daytona and that would probably be ideal (pillion comfort aside) but Triumphs cost a FORTUNE here, so, uh, yeah.

Super Duke, duh.

Fifty Three posted:

start answering every sentence by growling "ducatiZUNDAPP" until he leaves you alone

Fixed.

Incidentally, would totally address prukinski's needs as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Koruthaiolos posted:

At first was super intrigued by buying a BMW C 650. He looked up the price and sounded enthused that he would only be paying 149 a month for 48 months and then a 5000 balloon payment.
If you genuinely want to have nothing to do with it, tell him you thought about it again and he was right the whole time. It's impossible to go wrong with such a small monthly payment ending with a balloon payment. He'd be crazy not to.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

Problem with a multi is the cost of entry to the ducati club and that it's ugly as sin. I picture a concours being not that big a step up weight-wise from my ZRX, and with better handling. It's not something that will happen any time soon, anyway. Mainly seems like a good fit because big tourers depreciate like rocks here (unless it's a Goldwing or a BMW) whereas ducatis may as well be made of solid gold.

A Multi 1200 really is the ultimate motorcycle, it is easy to ride, handles awesome, apparently it will go offroad or something, and it is super goddamn scary fast. Do it, finance one.

But this is the way, the truth, and the light:

Safety Dance posted:

You need a Buell Ulysses. (Can those even be had in NZ?)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

A Multi 1200 really is the ultimate motorcycle, it is easy to ride, handles awesome, apparently it will go offroad or something, and it is super goddamn scary fast. Do it, finance one.

Yeah this is actually really true. A multistrada 1200 is pretty loving magic.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Z3n posted:

Yeah this is actually really true. A multistrada 1200 is pretty loving magic.

Hell, I want a Multi. If they never ever broke, that is, because gently caress fixing computer controlled dynamic geometry magic.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

kuffs posted:

Is there any reason why the BMW F800ST/GT never gets recommended around here?

You can't find them for 2200 bucks, so it puts it out of the range of 97% of the demo this forum attracts.

I've got an S, the "sport" variant of those bikes, it's a nice piece. They're odd overall bikes. The motor is agrarian in nature, makes plenty of mid range power and gets up into the power nicely, but doesn't "feel" fast. I love mine, and everyone I know that has one does as well, yet almost no one goes out of their way to recommend it. It's an odd case where it does everything well, but doesn't excel at anything. Handling wise it's a deceiving bike, it's got the typical BMW "feel" on the front end where there's the inherent numbness that comes with the non-adjustable front forks, but the bike just hooks up and tucks in nicely.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ThatCguy posted:

You can't find them for 2200 bucks, so it puts it out of the range of 97% of the demo this forum attracts.

I question how true this is.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/4312488689.html

Is this a decent deal? Not a lot of information but seems really low, like too low.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Replacement engine, no odometer, non-factory paintjob, 90% sure it shouldn't have a black frame, no mention of mileage. Seems like a pretty accurate price to me but I don't know poo poo all about bike pricing in the states.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Always a good sign when the ground under the engine is covered in visible splotches

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
That's what I figured, but a man can dream. All the ninja 500/gs500s are all priced fairly highish around LA as well so I'm stuck trolling for deals.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Like I said earlier, CL gets really weird this time of year. Volume goes way down, so you're left with the super deals that people really want to move (those go fast) and the overpriced dreck that no one should touch. Also remember you've got a lot of people with shiny tax returns to blow, which inches prices up.

The real time to buy is in the fall, but wait a month or two and the listings should come back.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Koruthaiolos posted:

One of my coworkers is insisting I help him find a bike because I ride. He says he wants to commute on it during the summer including a bit of interstate. He also says his fat wife needs to be able to be comfortable on the back and probably needs something that can have a back rest for her. I've already convinced him to take the MSF. He grew up with a scooter and some kind of small Honda and he likes the idea of a "Harles Davis motorcycle."

At first was super intrigued by buying a BMW C 650. He looked up the price and sounded enthused that he would only be paying 149 a month for 48 months and then a 5000 balloon payment. I talked him out of that and now he sending me links to the Honda Shadow Line.

I don't really want to be roped into this task, and hopefully I won't be his coworker too much longer so it won't really matter, but he keeps asking me everyday and I don't even really know where to begin.

If you're anywhere close to Chicago, say 4ish hours I'll sell him my 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100 (I bought a new bike and need to sell this one now). I'll even throw in an authentic Harles Davis t-shirt!

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/4274167954.html

2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Black - $2900

Definitely been dropped, but ~9k miles and price seems reasonable enough for my first bike, bonus points I dont have to worry if I drop it since it's already scratched.

Only issue is I have no idea what to look for in person as far as serious defects go.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Look for evidence of leaking fluids (on the suspension, engine, and brakes). I'd pass on a bike with obvious and abnormal leaks (normal leaks are like rear cyl seep on a Harley, but I'm pretty sure a Ninja 650 shouldn't have any) or a smoky 4 stroke.

Look at the chain to see if it is overly rusted and kinking - the links should move freely. Look at the condition of sprockets' teeth, they should be pretty straight (not sharktoothy) and uniform. A chain and sprocket set can cost a hundred bucks or so, so that might effect price negotation. Also, a shot chain and sprockets will give you a clue about the quality of care the PO gave it.

If the brakes pulse, that's bad, could cost you a couple hundred or so for new pads and rotors.

Look for hacked up wiring under the seat and around the handlebar. Make sure all the lights operate. Wiring is a pain in the rear end to fix.

See if you can get the seller to show you the bike when it's dead cold, observe how easy/difficult it is to start when cold. Also try starting it when it's warm. If it's EFI it should always start easily.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BlackLaser posted:

Thanks for all of your input. Really appreciate it. Maybe I'll make some more poor financial decisions and purchase a second motorcycle this weekend. :woop:

So what ended up happening sonny? Did you feel like a midget on the connie?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Chichevache posted:

drat :sigh:. I figured there would be problems with it, but it is loving beautiful. I didn't bother to give it a detailed look, but it was pretty spotless at a quick glance from someone with no experience. Oh well.

Also I love the way old bikes look, especially ones that looks like ridiculous bosozoku bikes.

I live in Japan and seeing CA wax on about bosozoku/their bikes is like... I dunno, someone back home getting all excited about a ratty, riced-out CRX. Bosozoku are all complete shitheads, the bikes aren't cute when they're tearing through your neighborhood at all hours of the night revving like idiots, and the cops will do nothing.

I can't think of anything that would make me happier than to force them to watch their bikes being crushed at a junkyard.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I have a bad urge to go haggle and turn this thing into some kind of Mad Max offroad beater for desert camping trips:

1983 Honda XL600R $1000 6300miles
"Starts nicely when cold, hard to start when warm like 6-8 kicks. Runs VERY STRONG.
Registered in 2012 not registered after that. $149 to bring active as per DMV. Pink in hand."

Do these things suffer from any awful irregularities that would crush my fantasies?

Carbs? I dunno. I'd probably buy it. I'd prefer a bigger gas tank, my XLR250 has a 21L that I can squeeze 450-500kms out of.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I live in Japan and seeing CAeveryone wax on about bosozoku/their bikes cafe racers is like... I dunno, someone back home getting all excited about a ratty, riced-out CRX. BosozokuCafe racers are all complete shitheads, the bikes aren't cute when they're tearing through your neighborhood at all hours of the night revving like idiots, and the cops will do nothing.

I can't think of anything that would make me happier than to force them to watch their bikes being crushed at a junkyard.

ftfy. Grass is greener and blah blah.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I live in Japan and seeing CA wax on about bosozoku/their bikes is like... I dunno, someone back home getting all excited about a ratty, riced-out CRX. Bosozoku are all complete shitheads, the bikes aren't cute when they're tearing through your neighborhood at all hours of the night revving like idiots, and the cops will do nothing.

My understanding of boso is that those guys are shitheads first and foremost, and would be no matter what they ride or drive. It's modeled after an older gang culture with a flamboyance exaggerated far beyond the original to make up for the lack of true hooliganery, sort of like modern US harley culture. There's not the slightest pretense of performance, purity of the essence of riding, blah blah - the key is to be as noticeable (even to people wishing not to notice) as possible. The closest US equivalent would be donks riding 30's with a rack of subwoofers shaking the fenders, which I wouldn't want to own or live particularly close to, but I can still admire the style from afar.

And yeah the completely farcical focus on performance and purity of essence puts cafe racers much more equivalent to ricers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Snowdens Secret posted:

My understanding of boso is that those guys are shitheads first and foremost, and would be no matter what they ride or drive. It's modeled after an older gang culture with a flamboyance exaggerated far beyond the original to make up for the lack of true hooliganery, sort of like modern US harley culture. There's not the slightest pretense of performance, purity of the essence of riding, blah blah - the key is to be as noticeable (even to people wishing not to notice) as possible. The closest US equivalent would be donks riding 30's with a rack of subwoofers shaking the fenders, which I wouldn't want to own or live particularly close to, but I can still admire the style from afar.

And yeah the completely farcical focus on performance and purity of essence puts cafe racers much more equivalent to ricers.

The point I was trying to make was just that something foreign and exotic can still be really cool and interesting, yet when you're dealing with those assholes all the time it gets rote and tiring. I think the styling on those bikes is really cool and interesting, but I'd obviously loathe them if they were running around California. (Ok, I lie. I'd probably find them quaint and charming like goths and punk rockers. As long as teenagers aren't shooting guns and heroin I'm amused by their antics.)

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Are cafe racer's really that much of a thing down in California? It does seem like it's becoming a hipster thing, but around the Seattle area most of them seem to be sticking with their Subaru's anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know about full-on cafe racers, but today I saw a moped with a butt-bump seat and clubmans.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sounds about right.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HappyHelmet posted:

Are cafe racer's really that much of a thing down in California? It does seem like it's becoming a hipster thing, but around the Seattle area most of them seem to be sticking with their Subaru's anyway.

I was referring to cafe racers as a historical or foreign "hoodlum" trend that is now popular, though dealing with kids racing bikes dangerously 50 years ago would have been aggravating.

Edit
So no, as far as I know they aren't that much of a thing.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

I was referring to cafe racers as a historical or foreign "hoodlum" trend that is now popular, though dealing with kids racing bikes dangerously 50 years ago would have been aggravating.

Edit
So no, as far as I know they aren't that much of a thing.

Ah, I gotcha. There are just so few of them riding around here that it is basically a non-issue.

It's still annoying though because I like the looks of old school stripped down Standards, but they all get marked up to ridiculous prices on Craigslist because they are "cool" right now.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

slidebite posted:

So what ended up happening sonny? Did you feel like a midget on the connie?

Bike was sold before I could get there. Still on the lookout. Had to trade in my car for a truck so minor financial setback as well. Need to just find a local one to sit on before I get too obsessed with getting one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Did you get that PM I sent you a few days back?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

slidebite posted:

Did you get that PM I sent you a few days back?

Yeah I did, thanks. It was too far to go without knowing I can fit on one first. I need to find a C14 in Tampa at a dealer I can straddle before I consider cross state trips. If I fit, it will be my next bike for sure though.

ThePinion
Dec 14, 2009
So I'm looking for a street legal trail bike pretty much anywhere in Southern California/Arizona, maybe even New Mexico/Colorado/Utah/Nevada if there's a particularly good deal. Or even Texas, what the hell. Hoping to spend ~<$1000, definitely not more than $1500. I'm living in a van this winter, that's why I want the bike. Stick it on a receiver ramp and explore around in the desert at something better than 10-12mpg. It'll get mostly offroad and rural use, I've never ridden in traffic before and a crowded city freeway on a bike sounds terrifying. I have a 1993 Yamaha XT225 on long-term loan from a cousin back home, and my dad has a 1981 Honda XLR250 I used to ride a lot that I prefer. From poking around on Craigslist, it looks like pure offroad dirt bikes are significantly cheaper than street legal models. What's so different between them and the street models? I'd assumed it was just lights and mirrors, but it seems like it must be more than that.

These are looking like the most likely candidates from poking around on Craigslist tonight, if anyone knows of any local deals that would be cool too. Just looking for general advice I guess, are any of these good deals? Can I register a dirt bike with lights on it? How much heavier is a similar ~500cc bike? Maybe I'd be better off with a bicycle+weed trimmer engine or a Hayabusa or something? If any of you are particularly close to one of these bikes and want to check it out for me that could also be rad

http://yuma.craigslist.org/mcy/4289725623.html
This one is the cheapest/closest to me, and looks exactly like my dad's '81 but white. It's also 35 years old and missing at least a brake light/rear turn signals. No title is the only reason I haven't called the seller yet. I don't know how big of a deal that is in AZ, but yeah. Got to have a title. My favourite option otherwise

https://prescott.craigslist.org/mcy/4317977094.html

http://sierravista.craigslist.org/mcy/4273663528.html
These are still pretty close by, but towards the top of my price range. They both appear equally rad, the '86 looks slightly cooler but is older, the '95 is $225 more but looks like it's in *really* nice shape.

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/4318388116.html
This one is rad, but not street legal/"Honda has paper work to get you a Title" and all the way back in L.A. (ew). Probably not a good option, but included because it's so cool.

http://sierravista.craigslist.org/mcy/4313250852.html
I can't afford this but isn't it awesome?

ThePinion fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 7, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ThePinion posted:

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/4318388116.html
This one is rad, but not street legal/"Honda has paper work to get you a Title" and all the way back in L.A. (ew). Probably not a good option, but included because it's so cool.

I have no real input since the market here is very different from where you are, but at first glance I thought it said "BRO-LINK" on the swingarm.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
I'm about to get myself a 2006 Yamaha XVS 1100 (dragster). I'm still shopping around to get one for a decent price (everyone seems to want too much for theirs).

Is there anything specific I should look out for?

I don't know much about this specific model. I did own a Wildstar back in the day, but it's a totally different bike from what I'm looking to find nowadays.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

BlackLaser posted:

Yeah I did, thanks. It was too far to go without knowing I can fit on one first. I need to find a C14 in Tampa at a dealer I can straddle before I consider cross state trips. If I fit, it will be my next bike for sure though.

Talking to myself here, but woohoo I fit. Went and checked out a 2013 this weekend. Not anywhere near as large or as heavy as I thought. Not quite flat footed with my heels about an inch off the ground. No worries, so now I can keep daydreaming on craigslist for the next few months. Sticker said $16K, they would sell it to me for $12k. Guess they aren't selling to well or the 2014's are out.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
So I'm considering "trading" my SV for a 2009 KLX250SF with less than 1,000 miles in near new condition. I can grab it for 2300. I will be using it for intercity hooning and commuting.

Great idea or greatest idea?

I've never owned a supermoto.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I picture intercity anything being pretty painful on a 250 single, but hosed if I know. Other from that it sounds like a decent idea. Is that price relatively normal for that bike in your area?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Slavvy posted:

I picture intercity anything being pretty painful on a 250 single, but hosed if I know. Other from that it sounds like a decent idea. Is that price relatively normal for that bike in your area?

I might mean intracity. Basically in town hoonery. It's a decent price according to a local guy who owns a few small SMs. I'm in Houston btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Then yes go for it. It will be substantially slower than your SV but if you have no problem with that, then there's no issue.