Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

subx posted:

That thing looks comically large next to all those tiny cars. It is quite nice though. I'm assuming you have to import those? Or did they actually sell them at some point?

Yeah, the bays aren't exactly small either, it just seemed so insanely large.

From memory of hearsay, most US cars here were imported by troops stationed here who could somehow get around HMRC adding about 50% to the price (explained in the ancient topgear thread posted) and then sold on to the general public when they went back to the US.

**EDIT

So the top of a new page doesn't go without an image, this is what the UK was driving around the time that plymouth was made:

The Morris Minor. My brother got one for his first car and restored it, going downhill he could just about hit 60!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

It's still hilarious what kind of poo poo ends up over there. on pistonheads a while back there was a 7.3 ford excursion for sale for 13k gbp. with like 60,000 miles. That's cheaper than you can get them for here.
UK new car prices aren't brilliant, but the depreciation on used stuff (especially anything big, unusual or powerful) is astounding sometimes. This is especially true with the massive annual tax for post-2006 stuff that isn't wonderfully environmentally friendly (my WRX costs £475 to tax) - give it another few years, when things like W12 Audis and V8 Range Rovers from that period start dipping down to the couple of grand mark, and you will find a lot of interesting stuff going dirt cheap because there's no market.

Then you can lob the drivetrain in something old and get cheap or free tax.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 29, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
My old euro e30 was bought for 700GBP, and it only had 100k on it in 2009. Even with shipping + customs the guy still made about ~1k of profit when he sold it to me, and I paid below market value for it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

That's certainly a way to enter a corner.

Hey, speaking of that particular Toyota...

Loving those crazy narrow tires :v:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

kastein posted:

Speaking of which, I always crack up when I see this picture:

The world's most expensive auto transport ship -

(a US nuclear aircraft carrier going to a foreign base for a deployment... they decided to save money shipping the crew members personal vehicles and loaded up.)

Are they secured in anyway or just parked?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

kastein posted:

Speaking of which, I always crack up when I see this picture:

The world's most expensive auto transport ship -

(a US nuclear aircraft carrier going to a foreign base for a deployment... they decided to save money shipping the crew members personal vehicles and loaded up.)

WTF was the point of that long sunroof in the Maxima?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The best vehicle in the shot is that white/brown '80s Suburban on bags.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Terrible Robot posted:

The best vehicle in the shot is that white/brown '80s Suburban on bags.

Oh that's what that is. On first inspection I thought it was a hearse.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Bigger version so we can play "I Spy".

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibt...f-the-ocean.jpg

I Spy: With the end of Don't Ask Don't Tell, Private Lawrence has chosen to bring a leopard print Nissan Cube on deployment.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

What is this gorgeous monster??!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The bottom one looks to be a 67 Impala/Caprice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

UK new car prices aren't brilliant, but the depreciation on used stuff (especially anything big, unusual or powerful) is astounding sometimes. This is especially true with the massive annual tax for post-2006 stuff that isn't wonderfully environmentally friendly (my WRX costs £475 to tax) - give it another few years, when things like W12 Audis and V8 Range Rovers from that period start dipping down to the couple of grand mark, and you will find a lot of interesting stuff going dirt cheap because there's no market.

Then you can lob the drivetrain in something old and get cheap or free tax.

This is such a false economy when it comes to big engine/high performance used cars. On an ordinary mid/late 00's petrol powered boring non-ecoweenie family saloon or estate or CUV, you're going to be paying anywhere between £220 and £280/year. Anything bigger, regardless of power, you're only paying an additional £200-240/year. That's ~£20/month difference between a 2.0l Honda Accord and a 5.7l Vauxhall Monaro. Yes, the Accord might be a couple of years newer, but when I hear people moan about "oh yeah would be nice, but the taxes are so much" when I try to goad them in to buying highly impractical yet highly fun cars instead of boring family poo poo, it's not the bloody taxes, the taxes are gently caress-all. If £20/month is going to break you, it's the petrol and insurance that's going to break you well before the taxes even factor in.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Linedance posted:

This is such a false economy when it comes to big engine/high performance used cars. On an ordinary mid/late 00's petrol powered boring non-ecoweenie family saloon or estate or CUV, you're going to be paying anywhere between £220 and £280/year. Anything bigger, regardless of power, you're only paying an additional £200-240/year. That's ~£20/month difference between a 2.0l Honda Accord and a 5.7l Vauxhall Monaro. Yes, the Accord might be a couple of years newer, but when I hear people moan about "oh yeah would be nice, but the taxes are so much" when I try to goad them in to buying highly impractical yet highly fun cars instead of boring family poo poo, it's not the bloody taxes, the taxes are gently caress-all. If £20/month is going to break you, it's the petrol and insurance that's going to break you well before the taxes even factor in.
What do you want me to tell you? The average person is loving stupid. Just makes them cheaper for the people who want them.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I saw this guy earlier today. I think I've seen 2-3 Focus RS's in Texas in the past few years, all with Mexican plates.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Dunno if this was already posted, but this guy did a 9:55 on the 'ring in a 52hp Citroen AX diesel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBFjHjm0O5M

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Hog Obituary posted:

Dunno if this was already posted, but this guy did a 9:55 on the 'ring in a 52hp Citroen AX diesel.
Those things can weigh under 700kg even with a full interior. My dad has a 100bhp one when I was a kid...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

InitialDave posted:

Those things can weigh under 700kg even with a full interior. My dad has a 100bhp one when I was a kid...

Even so, 52 BHP is a bit of a limiting factor on high speed areas. I'm blown away that he hit 182 km/h, even if it was on a downhill. That has to be one of the most impressive drives I've seen, no joke. That little car loks like it shifts really nicely too, although I'm sure the gears are short as heck in it.

Somewhere in England, Jeremy Clarkson is weeping bitterly. :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Panty Saluter posted:

Somewhere in England, Jeremy Clarkson is weeping bitterly. :v:

Has someone tweeted it at him yet?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Hog Obituary posted:

This is amazing

quote:

This record lap was done on Saturday August 17th 2013 at 8:37am.
It was the 118th Nordschleife lap for this car and my 10th attempt trip (1115 km away from Bordeaux in France).
Lap timing equipment = mobile phone with Harry's Lap Timer and a XGPS150 Bluetooth receiver.

It took me a lot of time and patience to achieve a "Bridge To Gantry" lap time under 10 minutes during the tourist drive sessions at the Nordschleife.
This challenge was definitely for fun but also to prove it could be done with work, tenacity and a bit of madness too...
I have been chasing the 'perfect lap' for 7 years with no traffic, no road works, fresh air, dry track, no driving mistakes and a reliable drivetrain.
This TUD3 diesel engine is known for its poor reliability and I went through 9 engines and 5 gearboxes!
Here I want to thank all the people who spent time to help me work on this little car.

With such a non-powerful car, if you kill the momentum you're done, and in many corners I tend to overdrive the car trying to maximize momentum.
For this reason, my video is not a driving lesson at all!

During all these years I tried to be respectful of the Nürburgring tourist drive rules, the other users (faster and slower cars) and the people working on the track.
Recording movies and lap times is not allowed, in theory...but I made this video to show you don't necessarily need a sport car and a lot of money to enjoy driving.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
PSA gearboxes are quite bad (sloppy linkages, floaty feel) even when new, and the old MA/BE boxes weren't any better. He's just used to it, I guess.

But I'm more impressed by this than the latest "DOES THE RING IN LESS THAN X" supercar.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

If they hadn't before...

https://twitter.com/DetroitQSpider/status/429362991390158848

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BraveUlysses posted:

This is amazing

Imagine being that guy that got passed ~3:30

E: holy poo poo I just realized that odo reads 425,759 miles.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 31, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

But I'm more impressed by this than the latest "DOES THE RING IN LESS THAN X" supercar.
It's drat close to "DOES THE RING IN LESS TIME THAN X SUPERCAR".

It's a beautiful video. That is how you drive a slow car fast, balls-out full throttle unless the grim reaper himself is trying to lever the pedal off the floor with his scythe. I almost yelled at my screen when that MPV held him up at about 8:55. He seems to get a couple of nice mini-drifts in places, too.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

I read that as 1000bhp at first glance and nearly shat myself.

I can't imagine the amount of pure joy that this guy felt when he crossed the line under 10:00.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Speaking of small cars you remember from childhood:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

KozmoNaut posted:

Be sure to copy Sabine Schmitz.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That's extremely impressive considering how much of a power track the ring is. My favorite ring-meister the last time I was there was driving the wheels off a VW Lupo.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

InitialDave posted:

AX GTs were such an amazingly Citroen take on the hot hatch: "Drop in a bigger engine? Nah, how about we just tune up the 1.4, replace the body panels with tinfoil and fit even thinner glass everywhere?".

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Hog Obituary posted:

I love how he has to downshift on uphill sections just to keep from bogging down. :laffo:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Some gen V concept art

I hope the next Viper looks like the one on the right.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I vote middle, the back end on the left is too weird and the one on the right looks like it got caught in a garbage disposal, being all cut up like that. The front is clearly Viper, and the back gives me a little Aston vibe.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That video was great and the music at the end was probably the best that could have been picked. Just so calm yet exciting. That dude was probably so stoked and had he not ran into the MVP, he might have broked 9:50.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tekne posted:

Some gen V concept art

I hope the next Viper looks like the one on the right.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This goddamn video is breathtaking. He's got shorts with a long-sleeved shirt. Why is the stereo mounting still there? It's mesmerising, in many ways his is a greater achievement than winning X race in Y class, he sat there for seven years and honed himself and that hideous car like a weapon.

edit: also how is his steering wheel not bucking and jerking madly at the higher speeds, with the track being so bumpy? Every lovely fwd car I've ever driven did this.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 1, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slavvy posted:

edit: also how is his steering wheel not bucking and jerking madly at the higher speeds, with the track being so bumpy? Every lovely fwd car I've ever driven did this.

He's driven this track and car combo for seven years. I'm sure he knows exactly how to counter his cars feedback in such a way it'd be considered reflex.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Slavvy posted:

This goddamn video is breathtaking. He's got shorts with a long-sleeved shirt. Why is the stereo mounting still there? It's mesmerising, in many ways his is a greater achievement than winning X race in Y class, he sat there for seven years and honed himself and that hideous car like a weapon.

I can't imagine the misery in driving a stripped, diesel, Citroen AX from France to Germany and back multiple times without a stereo to listen to on the way. Bear in mind that the track itself is in a mountain range, if he had to drag that poor car up there without one he'd probably be deaf and dumb by the time he got to the top.

And which FWD cars have you driven that bump-steered so badly? :stare:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All the lovely old econoboxes with no power steering that I've driven did this. Granted, the suspension on his citroen is probably all new parts as opposed to still original. Taking a bumpy corner over 100km/h would make the wheel jerk to a greater or lesser degree, I'm amazed that his car seems to have no steering feedback at all. Or do those things have power steering?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

All the lovely old econoboxes with no power steering that I've driven did this. Granted, the suspension on his citroen is probably all new parts as opposed to still original. Taking a bumpy corner over 100km/h would make the wheel jerk to a greater or lesser degree, I'm amazed that his car seems to have no steering feedback at all. Or do those things have power steering?
French car with soft suspension and relatively high-profile tyres, probably damps it out a lot. As fot the steering, no, they're really light any way you cut it.

This girl posted an album on imgur from going out with her dad who's a plough driver, it's quite interesting:
http://imgur.com/gallery/VDCQf

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
e. sorry ignore me I'm a moron

dissss fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

This girl posted an album on imgur from going out with her dad who's a plough driver, it's quite interesting:
http://imgur.com/gallery/VDCQf

Cool pics, looked through the whole thing and then made the mistake of reading the comments :v:

quote:

You had me at gang plow