Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

this_is_hard posted:

Speaking of Asurion....

So Thursday night, my phone dropped a few feet and the screen cracked. Touch screen is nonresponsive, etc. Friday morning I call Asurion, file a claim, and the Asurion rep tells me that my phone is in stock, I pay the $99 deductible, and he said it would arrive Saturday. After calling the Asurion automated line again on Saturday to try and find my tracking number (it was never emailed to me like they claimed), the automated line said my phone had shipped on Friday, but after it started reading my tracking number, it glitched out and just ended. So I finally talk to an Asurion rep, who tells me that my phone is actually backordered and it never shipped. No idea/timetable as to when they'd have any in stock, etc. I ask to get a comparable model, she says I can't. I tell them I want my money back until the phone is available obviously, and they 'refunded' me (money still hasn't been credited back to my account...)

I go to their website and read on their policies, and it clearly says that if my phone model isn't available they can provide me with a comparable model. So I call back and after another round with their automated system, I ask why I wasn't offered a comparable model and why was I told that they couldn't do that when their website clearly states that is their policy. The rep tells me that they can definitely do that, but I'd need to file a new claim. She transfers me to someone else, we start to file a new claim and she says that I would need to print out an affidavit, get it notarized, and then fax it along with my drivers license before they can 'review my claim.' ...What the hell? Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with this? I asked to speak to a supervisor but unfortunately I was at work so I had to leave while I was waiting on hold (for like 15 minutes at this point)

When I got my phone replaced I actually did it through Verizon CS, and it was pretty painless. Of course, I might have gotten lucky, but I'd see if they can help file a claim and get it smoothed out. You don't need notarized poo poo, you just send back the broken phone once you get your replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

When I got my phone replaced I actually did it through Verizon CS, and it was pretty painless. Of course, I might have gotten lucky, but I'd see if they can help file a claim and get it smoothed out. You don't need notarized poo poo, you just send back the broken phone once you get your replacement.

I actually originally went in to a Verizon store, and they literally looked at me like I was crazy and just handed me a little booklet with the Asurion website/phone number. Did you do a warranty replacement or an insurance claim?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

this_is_hard posted:

I actually originally went in to a Verizon store, and they literally looked at me like I was crazy and just handed me a little booklet with the Asurion website/phone number. Did you do a warranty replacement or an insurance claim?

It was insurance, I lost the phone. People in the store are helpless on that poo poo though, you gotta call CS.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I did the whole process on Asurions website. It was simple there.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

this_is_hard posted:

Speaking of Asurion....

So Thursday night, my phone dropped a few feet and the screen cracked. Touch screen is nonresponsive, etc. Friday morning I call Asurion, file a claim, and the Asurion rep tells me that my phone is in stock, I pay the $99 deductible, and he said it would arrive Saturday. After calling the Asurion automated line again on Saturday to try and find my tracking number (it was never emailed to me like they claimed), the automated line said my phone had shipped on Friday, but after it started reading my tracking number, it glitched out and just ended. So I finally talk to an Asurion rep, who tells me that my phone is actually backordered and it never shipped. No idea/timetable as to when they'd have any in stock, etc. I ask to get a comparable model, she says I can't. I tell them I want my money back until the phone is available obviously, and they 'refunded' me (money still hasn't been credited back to my account...)

I go to their website and read on their policies, and it clearly says that if my phone model isn't available they can provide me with a comparable model. So I call back and after another round with their automated system, I ask why I wasn't offered a comparable model and why was I told that they couldn't do that when their website clearly states that is their policy. The rep tells me that they can definitely do that, but I'd need to file a new claim. She transfers me to someone else, we start to file a new claim and she says that I would need to print out an affidavit, get it notarized, and then fax it along with my drivers license before they can 'review my claim.' ...What the hell? Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with this? I asked to speak to a supervisor but unfortunately I was at work so I had to leave while I was waiting on hold (for like 15 minutes at this point)

There's no getting around the affidavit. I just dealt with this bullshit myself. I didn't have to get it notarized though. I just took photos of the paper I filled out and a copy of my drivers license. It approved 5 min after submitting.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Has anyone been able to find a good folio case for the LG G2?
I've been looking on amazon and they are all non verizon compatible.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Speaking of phone replacements under warranty and insurance; isn't the whole point of SIM cards account device portability? My wife is on her third Galaxy S4 (first was an exchange under warranty during her 14 day trial due to a weird glitch I couldn't find anywhere online, and the second due to a cracked screen). Each time she was giving a brand new SIM card. I expected to just move the SIM from phone to phone. I'm guessing this has to do with Verizon being a pseudo GSM 4G / CDMA bastard child right now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ninmeister posted:

Speaking of phone replacements under warranty and insurance; isn't the whole point of SIM cards account device portability? My wife is on her third Galaxy S4 (first was an exchange under warranty during her 14 day trial due to a weird glitch I couldn't find anywhere online, and the second due to a cracked screen). Each time she was giving a brand new SIM card. I expected to just move the SIM from phone to phone. I'm guessing this has to do with Verizon being a pseudo GSM 4G / CDMA bastard child right now.

I imagine they give you a brand new SIM with a replacement as just a matter of policy, because not everyone has a working or intact SIM prior to requesting a replacement, and it's easier from a warehousing and support standpoint to just give a new one to everyone and not think about it.

If you dunked your phone in the toilet I wouldn't trust the SIM to work right, for example. The cost of a new SIM is probably a tiny fraction of the support cost that Verizon would incur if you called in or went into a store to troubleshoot your freshly-replaced phone after the fact and the problem was your SIM. And if you lost your phone or got it stolen, you certainly don't have a SIM on hand at all.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

kitten smoothie posted:

I imagine they give you a brand new SIM with a replacement as just a matter of policy, because not everyone has a working or intact SIM prior to requesting a replacement, and it's easier from a warehousing and support standpoint to just give a new one to everyone and not think about it.

If you dunked your phone in the toilet I wouldn't trust the SIM to work right, for example. The cost of a new SIM is probably a tiny fraction of the support cost that Verizon would incur if you called in or went into a store to troubleshoot your freshly-replaced phone after the fact and the problem was your SIM. And if you lost your phone or got it stolen, you certainly don't have a SIM on hand at all.

I suppose this makes sense, sure. Thanks.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I noticed Verizon is offering used iphone 4 units on their prepaid plan now, and am hoping to jump off this super lovely LG something or other that I'm stuck with (on their prepaid smartphone plan) at the moment. But as best as I can tell you can't order the units online without adding a new plan and the local Verizon store I went to a few weeks back did not have any and said it was an online thing.

So two questions pop up:
1. Is there a way to order the 'certified pre owned' iphone 4 off Verizon's site for my current plan that I'm missing?
2. Alternatively is there any reason why I couldn't snag a used Verizon iphone 4 or 4s online somewhere and have them add it to my account and remove the LG piece of poo poo?

It'd be soooo nice to finally go back to an iphone and unload my virgin mobile locked one on ebay.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a couple of questions related to a recent purchase.

I just got my confirmation in for my iPhone 5s purchase. It did it over the phone with Verizon, paid full retail, and the e-mail receipt for the purchase shows my unlimited data plan. Okay, cool.

--When I get the phone Wednesday, is there any activation process that I should AVOID that might trigger something messing with my data plan, or does it not matter?

--Is TetherMe still the preferred tethering app for iPhones?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Wokrider posted:

Has anyone been able to find a good folio case for the LG G2?
I've been looking on amazon and they are all non verizon compatible.

I settled on the standard LG flip cover. Its pretty nice, even if it is expensive.

Plus side, Wireless charging still works great through it. And it adds very little bulk.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

--When I get the phone Wednesday, is there any activation process that I should AVOID that might trigger something messing with my data plan, or does it not matter?

Doesn't matter, as long as you didn't agree to a new contract, you will stay on unlimited.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Parts Kit posted:

I noticed Verizon is offering used iphone 4 units on their prepaid plan now, and am hoping to jump off this super lovely LG something or other that I'm stuck with (on their prepaid smartphone plan) at the moment. But as best as I can tell you can't order the units online without adding a new plan and the local Verizon store I went to a few weeks back did not have any and said it was an online thing.

So two questions pop up:
1. Is there a way to order the 'certified pre owned' iphone 4 off Verizon's site for my current plan that I'm missing?
2. Alternatively is there any reason why I couldn't snag a used Verizon iphone 4 or 4s online somewhere and have them add it to my account and remove the LG piece of poo poo?

It'd be soooo nice to finally go back to an iphone and unload my virgin mobile locked one on ebay.

Just pick up a moto G for $99. Its a Moto X with the 4G removed, and an amazing deal.

But yes, any used clear ESN iPhone 4 and 4s can be put on prepaid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mighty Horse posted:

Its a Moto X with the 4G removed

Eh, no, not quite.

Different SOC (much slower GPU), half the ram, no active notification, worse camera, and LCD instead of OLED.

It's still one hell of a deal and a solid phone, but it's in no way a Moto X with LTE removed.

KuNova
Oct 12, 2005
I REPORT MODERATORS BECAUSE I'M FUCKING RETARDED
As a VZW and FIOS customer I appreciate their transparency on government requests for customer data. Check it out here if you haven't seen it. Has a lot of well organized information

http://transparency.verizon.com/us-data

Additionally, EFF and company are running https://www.thedaywefightback.org protest at the moment if you'd like to get more information or get your activism on. Call 202-552-0505 to easily reach your representatives.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Verizon is still one of the biggest blockers of Net Neutrality though, no?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They are also pissing everyone off by letting their peering interconnects degrade. That's on their peering partners as well, but I'm getting drat tired of paying for a 35mbps connection at home and getting punted to sub 720p resolutions on netflix.

FiOS service has really gone down hill fast in the past 18 months. Too bad my only alternative is Comcast which is just as bad.

KuNova
Oct 12, 2005
I REPORT MODERATORS BECAUSE I'M FUCKING RETARDED

TenaciousTomato posted:

Verizon is still one of the biggest blockers of Net Neutrality though, no?

Yet one of the biggest pushers of PCI-DSS

http://www.verizonenterprise.com/pcireport/2014/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=PCI2014

I don't see them joining Google or Facebook either in the recently released open letter to Congress https://www.reformgovernmentsurveillance.com

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
So I am about to sign up my parents for Verizon.

My company qualifies me for a discount. I can buy the phones cheaper off Amazon (with new contract).

Can I apply my employee discount after I receive the phones from Amazon (and thereby signed a contract)?

I see some info on that on the OP, but its 3 years old.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
You can apply your employee discount whenever. It does take a couple billing cycles to go into effect, though.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

FordPRefectLL posted:

You can apply your employee discount whenever. It does take a couple billing cycles to go into effect, though.

thanks appreciate it

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

CatchrNdRy posted:

thanks appreciate it
If you can validate via your company email it is pretty much instant.

Once you have activated the account start here:

http://verizonwireless.com/discount/

Also if you are going to be the Account Owner but your parents are actually going to be the users make sure to add them as Accouont Managers (can be done on My Verizon) so if they need to call in or visit a store they will be listed on the account and know the billing password you set up for them.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Mighty Horse posted:

Just pick up a moto G for $99. Its a Moto X with the 4G removed, and an amazing deal.

But yes, any used clear ESN iPhone 4 and 4s can be put on prepaid.
Nah. But thanks for confirming that for me. Hopefully early next week I'll be off this poo poo LG device and back onto something decent, if old. :)

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
So after reading a bit about the moto G, I have a few random questions
-I have a razr m, and I love the drat thing to death because of the stellar battery life, is the moto G comparable?
-Is the quad core upgrade a notable improvement over the razr m's?
-I use google music alot, should I use the moto g and its strictly 3g services, will HQ streaming be interrupted with hiccuping and slow load times?
-Does the moto g support usb otg (read that the kit kat update kills it, just wanna know if its true)?

Thanks in advance

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Also if you are going to be the Account Owner but your parents are actually going to be the users make sure to add them as Accouont Managers (can be done on My Verizon) so if they need to call in or visit a store they will be listed on the account and know the billing password you set up for them.

So I should I wait for the phones to deliver before opening and doing the steps in the discount email?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Dr Blah PhD posted:

-I use google music alot, should I use the moto g and its strictly 3g services, will HQ streaming be interrupted with hiccuping and slow load times?

I would say that yes, this will definitely be an issue. Verizon's LTE network is stellar, but their 3G is hardly '3G' by most of the other providers standards (frequently <1mbit). I use Spotify frequently on Verizon and I definitely get stuttering/pausing when on their 3G network. Of course, YMMV.

Honestly though, I wouldn't buy a 3G phone for Verizon at this point. Grab a Moto X instead.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I never really had a problem streaming music on Verizon 3G back in the day. Sure it takes longer to buffer, but once it gets going it usually stays going.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

tonic posted:

I would say that yes, this will definitely be an issue. Verizon's LTE network is stellar, but their 3G is hardly '3G' by most of the other providers standards (frequently <1mbit). I use Spotify frequently on Verizon and I definitely get stuttering/pausing when on their 3G network. Of course, YMMV.

Honestly though, I wouldn't buy a 3G phone for Verizon at this point. Grab a Moto X instead.

Don't Verizon prepaid plans only do 3G anyhow?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Wow, just snagged a 15% discount with this, had no idea I was even eligible. Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I never really had a problem streaming music on Verizon 3G back in the day. Sure it takes longer to buffer, but once it gets going it usually stays going.

Yeah, I guess that's true, it's usually only noticeable when first starting a song. I'm on 3G so rarely (Verizon LTE is ubiquitous) that it could just be a poor service area when I notice it too.

And, yeah, Verizon prepaid does lack LTE, so the Moto G is definitely your best choice in that case.

tonic fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 12, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

New price/data tiers coming for people on Edge plans

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/12/verizon-more-everything-plans

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So, open enrollment on Edge if you bought your phone before 11/13/13? So I can switch to an Edge plan and save?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

So, open enrollment on Edge if you bought your phone before 11/13/13? So I can switch to an Edge plan and save?

Basically you can switch by turning in your phone and get a 10 or 20 lower line access, which will offset some or most of the cost of Edge. If you were already thinking about it, it's a pretty solid deal.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

hoobajoo posted:

Basically you can switch by turning in your phone and get a 10 or 20 lower line access, which will offset some or most of the cost of Edge. If you were already thinking about it, it's a pretty solid deal.

If my employer discount still works on Edge, I could get the 10GB plan for $80 and each line access fee would be $20, making my bill $120 pre taxes and fees. That's about $40 a month cheaper than what I am currently paying.

Paying for the device on Edge is pretty much break even.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

If my employer discount still works on Edge, I could get the 10GB plan for $80 and each line access fee would be $20, making my bill $120 pre taxes and fees. That's about $40 a month cheaper than what I am currently paying.

Paying for the device on Edge is pretty much break even.

Then yeah, if you're on 10GB it's a no-brainer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm currently on a 450 minute plan with 2 GB of data and 1000 texts. I get a 15% discount through work. The breakdown is as follows:

450 minutes Voice: $39.99
1000 Text: $10
2 GB Data: $30
Discount: $6

Am I right in understanding that if I switch to Edge before tomorrow I will get:
Access: $30
2 GB data: $50

Does the discount just come off the access charge? Even if so, $1.50 more for unlimited minutes and texts plus being able to upgrade more often seems worthwhile.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
The discount will come off of the 2GB Data fee. So you should get $7.50 off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So I come out ahead and get more! Do I *have* to enroll tonight? Because I can't get to a Verizon store to turn in my phone or whatever.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

So I come out ahead and get more! Do I *have* to enroll tonight? Because I can't get to a Verizon store to turn in my phone or whatever.

Open enrollment in Edge should continue for a bit, you could get it done tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably not as we're getting a snow storm starting tonight and I have a pretty busy weekend in front of me. Maybe Friday I can get it done but I dunno. I'll see, I guess!

EDIT: Looks like the open enrollment is good until March 31.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Verizons-More-Everything-plan-to-debut-tomorrow_id52555

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 12, 2014

• Locked thread