Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

There is no one better than Buff

How hard would Punk laugh if he read/heard that? Buff's comments I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
lets not pretend that there wasnt a ton of sloppiness in varied wcw matches at all levels of the card. because there was. a lot of the guys couldnt clean up their poo poo because of years of just wcw not giving a gently caress about anyone not in the nwo/named hogan

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

Taker said he didn't know how to work and that was a death sentence for many a wrestler coming to the WWE.

A lot of styles basically stopped existing in the mainstream when WCW folded because the WWE style needed to be adhered to by everyone.

As has been discussed before, apparently wrestlers look down on guys who plan matches. Me, I vastly prefer the current WWE style where everyone works the exact same Wrestling 101 as Taught by OVW Style and loudly calls a lot of the spots.

Please, open your blood feud match with a snapmare into a chinlock. Ungh.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

STAC Goat posted:

I believe the book on DDP is that he liked to lay out his match before hand pretty meticulously and some dumb wrestlers hated that and thought it meant DDP sucked because he "couldn't" call a match in the ring. Also DDP obviously always took joy in varying up his moves and trying different things so I could see that rubbing a long time WWE main eventer like Taker who is used to a pretty static style and approach.

Mm, wouldn't shock me. Even calling back to the Regal/Austin podcast where Regal said he liked the match between Steamboat and Savage until he learned they planned it out beforehand. so wrestlers looking at DDP and going "You PLAN the matches out and don't just let them come naturally? such a degenerate..." Maybe it's cause they see wrestling as an artform that is better spontaneous, I mean I'm sure for wrestlers it's different than for fans.

DeathChicken posted:

Setting up a make or break match for WCW and then putting Buff Bagwell in it is kind of like preemptively shooting your horse and then being dumbstruck it couldn't race.

It's weird cause I swear Vince was quoted as saying that he would NEVER hire Bagwell before... well... Hiring Bagwell. But yes the Ring being unfamiliar, the opponents being unfamiliar, and Buff loving Bagwell killed the invasion completely dead. I mean even if it had gone off without a hitch, I'm sure the wrestlers still wouldn't have wanted to put over WCW guys.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Buff had a body that Vince liked. He thought he was going to be a bigger star than Lance Storm who Booker was actually feuding with.

I don't think Vince really watched much WCW.

I think Vince was more likely to have someone watching WCW for him than him watching it personally. Eric was the insane one who constantly watched Raw and it drove him insane.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

lets not pretend that there wasnt a ton of sloppiness in varied wcw matches at all levels of the card. because there was. a lot of the guys couldnt clean up their poo poo because of years of just wcw not giving a gently caress about anyone not in the nwo/named hogan

Dude, did you ever see Attitude Era WWF? It was some of the worst poo poo outside of the WWF Main event scene. Some of the worst loving wrestling I've ever seen.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Dude, did you ever see Attitude Era WWF? It was some of the worst poo poo outside of the WWF Main event scene. Some of the worst loving wrestling I've ever seen.

This got gradually less true once Russo left, because the tag teams had great matches once they developed the division, and the IC title had good wrestlers going for it.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

There is no one better than Buff

One funny thing about this is the fact that, during the build to Rock vs. Punk, they were in the same ring together constantly. They didn't keep them apart until the match happened. There was even a pull-apart brawl! I don't think anyone gave a poo poo that Punk was shorter than The Rock.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

there was a lot of garbage wrestling but the good poo poo was solid. the middle/lower card was awful. some of the main event guys werent much but the rest of the roster was either already straight up good or getting better. as the attitude era wound down the match quality skyrocketed.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How hard would Punk laugh if he read/heard that? Buff's comments I mean.

Not as hard as he laughed when he found out what Bagwell currently does for a living.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

Setting up a make or break match for WCW and then putting Buff Bagwell in it is kind of like preemptively shooting your horse and then being dumbstruck it couldn't race.

If you are going to have a make or break match I'd want a movie star in it myself.

STAC Goat posted:

I believe the book on DDP is that he liked to lay out his match before hand pretty meticulously and some dumb wrestlers hated that and thought it meant DDP sucked because he "couldn't" call a match in the ring. Also DDP obviously always took joy in varying up his moves and trying different things so I could see that annoying a long time WWE main eventer like Taker who is used to a pretty static style and approach.

DDP could be pretty obnoxious about it. He'd come up to people with a PDA he used to lay out the matches convinced this was the future of wrestling.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Hockles posted:

I heard My Sacrifice by Creed on the way to work this morning.

Does anybody have the general WWF Desire video set to that? I tried searching months ago, but all I could find were specific wrestler ones and copycats.

Are you thinking of this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsQw2jL7J8

Does anyone happen to have an MP3 of Scott Steiner's "HUH"? I want to use it as my text message notification.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-ZzgrvzI this is the one of those vignettes that was popular. they made one for a few people but austin/rocks got the most play

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

ZDar Fan posted:

Are you thinking of this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsQw2jL7J8

Does anyone happen to have an MP3 of Scott Steiner's "HUH"? I want to use it as my text message notification.

Yep, that is the one. Thank you very much.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ghostpilot posted:

Is it just me or did the Ace Crusher look unsafe? Some of those guys took some nasty bumps.

Wasn't most of Johnny Ace's work in Japan? Taking nasty bumps is pretty much Japan_wrestling.txt

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Buff had a body that Vince liked. He thought he was going to be a bigger star than Lance Storm who Booker was actually feuding with.

I don't think Vince really watched much WCW.

This is really sad because if there is one person who could probably go right into any ring in the world at that time and get it right on Day One, it would be Lance Storm.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, Booker at basically the prime of his career vs Lance Storm would have probably pulled off a match that would justify keeping WCW around.

Instead we got The Stuff.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There were a lot of really weirdly mistimed things during the Invasion era, and it's not just people signing too early or too late for it. I don't know if the brand split was a direct result of the Invasion failing, even though they originally wanted to do a separate brand for WCW if it succeeded, but it's always bothered me that they merged all the titles together and then just a few months later they said "Welp we're splitting brands so here are a bunch of new titles we pulled out of our asses." They didn't even share lineage with the WCW ones (well, technically the ones that remain do Because We Said So), they just took away a bunch of belts with deep history and shoved in a bunch of new ones with none at all.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Castomira posted:

Thank you so much for making me look this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5czUMb8HlE

This is pretty amazing. I think my favourite is at 3:07. The one right after is also incredible.

Apparently the blowoff to this whole Kanyon Cutter thing was a Judy Bagwell On A Forklift match. Peak Russo.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 12, 2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When did arenas or promoters for that matter, switch over from local PD to private security? I know ECW used Philly PD at one point and that was only about 20 years ago.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So what kind of wizard magic had to happen to get Hogan back into WWE? Also what's his role in WWE? All I've seen are .gifs and I need to know more.

edit: I thought him and Vince hated each other or something?

edit 2: Vvv Ah. Thank god he's not gonna wrestle.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 12, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Same role Rock had at Wrestlemania a few years ago, except Hogan isn't medically cleared to do anything but talk and pose.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Cismans Burden posted:

regardless of if this is true or not both love money

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

In case you don't have WWE Network, Hogan has filmed new footage talking about his match against Andre for WM3. I don't know if more is coming from that footage, but at least there is new stuff, and not the same interview from like 2006.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

gfanikf posted:

When did arenas or promoters for that matter, switch over from local PD to private security? I know ECW used Philly PD at one point and that was only about 20 years ago.

The bigger cities, at least, will still have a fairly major police presence for events. Every time I've been to WWE at the Meadowlands, there's always a bunch of NJ State Troopers around.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Same role Rock had at Wrestlemania a few years ago, except Hogan isn't medically cleared to do anything but talk and pose.

I'd actually heard that Hogan passed his physical (not sure how strenuous of one) and was training at the performance center in Orlando. Anyone else heard anything like this?

e: Googling around is giving mixed info from not very reputable sources, surely someone listens to/reads Meltzer or checks out the board over at F4W :)

nasboat fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 12, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cismans Burden posted:

So what kind of wizard magic had to happen to get Hogan back into WWE? Also what's his role in WWE? All I've seen are .gifs and I need to know more.

edit 2: Vvv Ah. Thank god he's not gonna wrestle.

Hogan has no leverage and footage of him is a big chunk of the network so it's good to have him in the fold if you are WWE. He can't command the kind of money he would before or make the same kind of demands.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Now that you mention it, this may be the least amount of power Hogan's had over 30 years.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

nasboat posted:

I'd actually heard that Hogan passed his physical (not sure how strenuous of one) and was training at the performance center in Orlando. Anyone else heard anything like this?

Dunno where you got this from but it's a complete fabrication. He visited the performance center for a photo-op but, for example, if he attempted a leg drop right now he would almost certainly severely injure himself to the point of not walking again.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Memento posted:

Dunno where you got this from but it's a complete fabrication. He visited the performance center for a photo-op but, for example, if he attempted a leg drop right now he would almost certainly severely injure himself to the point of not walking again.

Well, it was more along the lines of 'someone can run into his fist' since I don't think he could even do a leg drop in TNA.

Let's all just hope his stuff is kept to a minimum.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I know DDP is seen in a positive light on this forum but I can't shake the feeling that he is helping but also kinda exploiting Scott Hall and Jake Roberts. I realize Page makes his living now selling his yoga DVDs but it just seems wrong how he trots them out to show his success. Plus he was shopping around a reality show pilot similar to the ill-fated Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.

Anyway my question is there any good podcast that cover the history of WCW similar to The Attitude Era Podcast or OSW Review?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
He hasn't been able to do the leg drop at least since 2009. That Aussie tour where he fought Ric Flair, I remember reading that it was notable because of the lack of leg drops.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Gonzo McFee posted:

Taker said he didn't know how to work and that was a death sentence for many a wrestler coming to the WWE.

Onmi posted:

This wouldn't shock me.

I can't remember if I saw it in a Youtube video or what, but I remember hearing a story about how DDP had been watching MMA or boxing and thinking about how people fell when they got hit.

I'm probably remembering something incorrectly, but I want to say that DDP decided to try to fall more realistically in the ring against Undertaker, taking bumps on his side or falling to his butt. 'Taker thought DDP was playing with him and got pissed.

I tried to see if I could find a video, because I'm not sure how well I'm recalling this, or if it was even DDP talking.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
After seeing that the Usos got the tag titles a question popped into my mind: How many twins in tag teams have ever gone on to to do anything other than win the tag titles?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TL posted:

The bigger cities, at least, will still have a fairly major police presence for events. Every time I've been to WWE at the Meadowlands, there's always a bunch of NJ State Troopers around.

It's really typical for bigger cities to have whatever regular security a venue has for any event in the building (be it in-house or contract) with the police there on stand-by to help if security has a bigger problem with someone. I can't speak for every city or building but that's usually how event security works.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AlmightyPants posted:

After seeing that the Usos got the tag titles a question popped into my mind: How many twins in tag teams have ever gone on to to do anything other than win the tag titles?

Kayfabe twins or real twins?

I think one of the Bashams was an IC champ at one point, or maybe he was just in The Cabinet.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Tharizdun posted:

Kayfabe twins or real twins?

I think one of the Bashams was an IC champ at one point, or maybe he was just in The Cabinet.

The Bashams never won any titles once they came up. They were in the Cabinet with Orlando Jordan, who was the US Champion for a while.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

TL posted:

The Bashams never won any titles once they came up. They were in the Cabinet with Orlando Jordan, who was the US Champion for a while.

The Bashams won the WWE Tag Titles twice.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Perfidus posted:

He hasn't been able to do the leg drop at least since 2009. That Aussie tour where he fought Ric Flair, I remember reading that it was notable because of the lack of leg drops.

That was made up for by CM Punk doing the whole Hogan hulk up, point, leg drop move in I think 2011 here in Australia. It was amazing!

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

AlmightyPants posted:

The Bella Twins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Grant DaNasty posted:

It wasn't Daniel Bryan, it was a Brian Pillman video.

yessssssss thank you