Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What about that badass linebacker during the super bowl run. Forgot his name. Pretty sure he was inside.

Edit: Jeremiah Trotter. Myth busted.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention but I don't think id ever heard anyone call Ware a diva.

Full disclosure: I just want to see jerry jones sad.gif forever but in real time instead of a repeating gif.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

anime gently caress pillow posted:

I almost posted something along those lines, but at this point, why should we sign an over the hill diva over someone more solid and cheap?
Because the Eagles need a bigger contributor than "solid" and any pass rusher drafted is not going to be a huge factor this year. I mean you saw how long it took for Brandon Graham to become a contributor of any kind whatsoever. We're lucky when our first round pass rushers aren't shot in the stomach (Jerome McDougle). Not getting a top-tier safety and leaving our corner situation the way it is only increases the need to put pressure on the QB, an area the Eagles were very inconsistent in.

I wouldn't be against solid signings.. IN ADDITION TO. But only because I still don't know who is coming or going before the draft gets here. Will Cole still be on roster? Will Graham? Will Curry? Will Cox? I have no loving idea. Barwin is the only one I know is staying put.

That being said. Is Ware who I have or had in mind? Probably not no. I feel like, once again, the Eagles sat on their hands while everyone else got Their Guy, and are now left with Plan... C or D. I haven't even heard anything about the Eagles being interested in Ware anyway, although, like Barwin, Roseman might think Ware's last season was a fluke and would give him a big contract, seeing as Ware had 31 sacks between 2011-2012 at age 29-30. It's safe to say that Ware and Peppers are probably the largest boom-or-bust signings on the market right now (Peppers is like 34 years old tho).

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 12, 2014

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

The last time Andy Reid went big in free agency he (reportedly) hated the moves and then we got burned hard by Samuel, Asomugha, DRC, etc. Come to think of it, all the big name free agency stuff Reid did here in Philly usually was a disaster, he's probably sworn off it!
I don't think anyone is expecting Reid and Dorsey to break the bank this year, but they don't have enough draft picks to fill every hole. :shobon:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Quest For Glory II posted:

Because the Eagles need a bigger contributor than "solid" and any pass rusher drafted is not going to be a huge factor this year. I mean you saw how long it took for Brandon Graham to become a contributor of any kind whatsoever. We're lucky when our first round pass rushers aren't shot in the stomach (Jerome McDougle). Not getting a top-tier safety and leaving our corner situation the way it is only increases the need to put pressure on the QB, an area the Eagles were very inconsistent in.

I wouldn't be against solid signings.. IN ADDITION TO. But only because I still don't know who is coming or going before the draft gets here. Will Cole still be on roster? Will Graham? Will Curry? Will Cox? I have no loving idea. Barwin is the only one I know is staying put.

That being said. Is Ware who I have or had in mind? Probably not no. I feel like, once again, the Eagles sat on their hands while everyone else got Their Guy, and are now left with Plan... C or D. I haven't even heard anything about the Eagles being interested in Ware anyway, although, like Barwin, Roseman might think Ware's last season was a fluke and would give him a big contract.

Really wish you would have snuck in a Mamula reference so I could relive my childhood horrors.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Finally some actual football news :dance:

Sweeney Tom posted:

Making people feel bad that Al's gone
It's like he's still alive :allears:

...:shepicide:

Today's events reminded me of something Marcel Reece said a few days ago,

quote:

Raider-rear end moves

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

That being said. Is Ware who I have or had in mind? Probably not no. I feel like, once again, the Eagles sat on their hands while everyone else got Their Guy, and are now left with Plan... C or D. I haven't even heard anything about the Eagles being interested in Ware anyway, although, like Barwin, Roseman might think Ware's last season was a fluke and would give him a big contract, seeing as Ware had 31 sacks between 2011-2012 at age 29-30. It's safe to say that Ware and Peppers are probably the largest boom-or-bust signings on the market right now (Peppers is like 34 years old tho).

I'm torn between being stoked that Howie's being smart and not throwing mountains of money at FAs that we could really use, and thinking maybe we need to make one of those moves and he doesn't have the balls because he's a bit gunshy after the Nnamdi etc debacle. I mean, we have shitloads to spend, right? I trust Howie's got more up his sleeve but I think he could've made a slightly bigger move on day one.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
Hey cool The Chargers signed Donald Brown! I was hoping they would. I can't remember the last time a team I rooted for signed exactly who I hoped they would in free agency. They definitely needed someone better than Ronnie Brown. They seemed to have a hard time scoring whenever Mathews was out. Now if they could just get a corner somewhere...

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I feel like, as you say, they've already screwed the pooch for this FA period. We didn't get a top pass rusher OR a top safety despite desperate need at both positions and there's nobody left to get aside from old guys who want too much money for what they're likely to do (Allen, Ware, Peppers) and guys who are mediocre to bad. I'm not happy with it either, but at this point, they have to Make Do and solid signings are better than nothing at all. If we draft right we might get a couple of decent starters for the end of the year, which is what I think we need. Pretty sure we're still a playoff team, after all.

As for the guys who stay on the roster, if we keep Barwin and Cole then our defense won't be dramatically different from last year if we make some non-flashy signs to fill the gaps.

At this point I'm just hoping they sneak off with Schaub or Orton as our backup QB, that's about the only way I'd be happy with this offseason.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Man, it felt great waking up to the Byrd news. Even better was my wife's brow furrowing in a desperate sttempt to understand what the hell was I foaming about re: secondary, safety position, salary cap (I need IRL football fans to foam at). I just hope they know what they are doing. It feels right anyway, going all in while Brees is still peaking. Post-Brees they'll suck for awhile in any case, besides I got cancer so gently caress holding out. Now we just need to get the o-line in check, maybe a new CB and throw in a WR in there too. And oh yeah deal with Graham. No biggie.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jerome Agricola posted:

Man, it felt great waking up to the Byrd news. Even better was my wife's brow furrowing in a desperate sttempt to understand what the hell was I foaming about re: secondary, safety position, salary cap (I need IRL football fans to foam at). I just hope they know what they are doing. It feels right anyway, going all in while Brees is still peaking. Post-Brees they'll suck for awhile in any case, besides I got cancer so gently caress holding out. Now we just need to get the o-line in check, maybe a new CB and throw in a WR in there too. And oh yeah deal with Graham. No biggie.

Jesus christ dude, that's awful. How are you holding up?

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Chichevache posted:

Jesus christ dude, that's awful. How are you holding up?

When you've been married for awhile, you get used to your wife not understanding you.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Holy god man. That literally knocked me out of my chair. You need to post more.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Jerome Agricola posted:

When you've been married for awhile, you get used to your wife not understanding you.

Hahahaha.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jerome Agricola posted:

:drat:

edit
I was about to add that to the PYF Quotes thread but I realized you might not want me to put you on blast like that. Would you like being up there? Even if you die, your joke will live forever on a dumb comedy website.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Jerome Agricola posted:

Hehheh yeah man. Women <:shobon:>

E: Looks like I did miss a part in that first post. :smith: Disregard my terrible post.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 12, 2014

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

Hehheh yeah man. Women <:shobon:>

Hehheh you should probably read the posts

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Anyways, looks like Reid is bringing in Joe Mays for a visit. I don't know anything about him outside of the one game where he killed Tony Moeaki. Is he at least a passable run defender?

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 12, 2014

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

So many guys left to sign. Day 2 is going to rule.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Jerome I wanna buy you a beer. Get over here.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Vintimus Prime posted:

Absolutely. They are throwing in all the chips. They may not even get a ring out of it.
My big worry at this point is Peyton falling off a cliff due to age and wear & tear.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chris Gaines posted:

My big worry at this point is Peyton falling off a cliff due to age and wear & tear.

Brock Osweiler is just waiting for his opportunity.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Ehud posted:

Brock Osweiler is just waiting for his opportunity.

You can't hold down a man that tall forever, Peyton.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Eric Decker is visiting the Jets. A positive move?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

TG-Chrono posted:

I really hope idzik decided not to shore up the secondary so he could overpay Eric decker

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

TG-Chrono posted:

If they plan on making Decker the #1 then lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

I really hope idzik decided not to shore up the secondary so he could overpay Eric decker

Is there anyone who still believes that Idzik is at all competent?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

nrr posted:

I'm torn between being stoked that Howie's being smart and not throwing mountains of money at FAs

I lean in this direction. The team is too far away and has their own talent to keep over the next year or two that Howie probably thought that 2014 wasn't the year to make the big splash and hamstring yourself later.

At least that's how I'm justifying it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Still hope the Saints lose every game. :colbert:

Lamarr Woodley and Justin Tuck are both visiting Oakland today. They are both stopgaps, IMO, so hopefully neither one gets some ridiculous 6 year deal.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Is there anyone who still believes that Idzik is at all competent?

Chris Gaines posted:

If they plan on making Decker the #1 then lol

How about just adding a quality WR to a depth chart that desperately needs more than one rather than focus on labeling them.

And McMagic, Breno is probably on the same tier talent wise as Howard and a fraction of the cost.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It all depends on how much Decker costs. He should probably get something in the Brian Hartline range.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ozu posted:

How about just adding a quality WR to a depth chart that desperately needs more than one rather than focus on labeling them.

And McMagic, Breno is probably on the same tier talent wise as Howard and a fraction of the cost.

Strief is much better than either but we"re chasing the ex Seahawks.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Still hope the Saints lose every game. :colbert:

Lamarr Woodley and Justin Tuck are both visiting Oakland today. They are both stopgaps, IMO, so hopefully neither one gets some ridiculous 6 year deal.

Woodley is incapable of staying healthy.His hamstrings are shot if I remember correctly.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 12, 2014

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Ozu posted:

Don't make it out like being wary of overpaying a guy like Decker is unreasonable. Dismissing those concerns is especially silly given how loaded WR is in this years draft.

Also, I'm frothing at the mouth for a Revis return. Make it happen, I don't care.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@JasonLaCanfora: DT Randy Starks nearing a return to the Dolphins on a deal worth $6M a season

foreal just started cheering out loud

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

Don't make it out like being wary of overpaying a guy like Decker is unreasonable. Dismissing those concerns is especially silly given how loaded WR is in this years draft.

Also, I'm frothing at the mouth for a Revis return. Make it happen, I don't care.
Every single FA yesterday aside from Verner was overpaid. That's the nature of chasing guys in early free agency. I don't doubt Decker will be as well but if my alternative is hearing McMagic bitch about LOSING EVERYONE WHAT ARE YOU DOING IDZIK, I'll take the WR guy on our team.

Meanwhile if Idzik gets Revis back, he pulls off the greatest coup since Parcells/Curtis Martin.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Ozu posted:

Every single FA yesterday aside from Verner was overpaid.
It seems Arizona got a fantastic price for Veldheer and the Broncos for TJ Ward.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Ed Hartwell to the Falcons.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@KimJonesSports: Eric Decker visiting Jets today.

Just confirmation of what we all pretty much knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Justin Tuck is visiting the Raiders and the Bengals are matching the offer sheet the Browns signed Andrew Hawkins to.

• Locked thread