Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Hatcher going to Washington kills me. Dude is a scary good interior pass rusher who is still productive in the run game. He's turning 32 in July but hasn't shown any signs of slowing down whatsoever (part of the reason for this might be because he had been a backup for the majority of his career). He's not an absolute monster like Gerald McCoy but he's pretty damned close.

God I loving hate the Redskins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

What other over-the-hill free agents should I be rooting for the Raiders to sign?

Jeff George

John Brown posted:

Cowboys defense is hosed...again.

They will be OK if they can actually stay healthy and find decent players in the draft.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

SlipUp posted:

Does Smith have any tread left? I loved him back in the day but his production seems to have dipped significantly last season, despite playing nearly every game and Newton not having other targets.

The Ravens trotted out Stokely last year. I certainly wouldn't mind Smith as a #2 or #3, and I'm sure he'll benefit from not being the primary target. He's a nice player to have in the mix with Marlon Brown and Pitta, and if he's consistently drawing the nickel coverage I expect he'll be productive.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

AfterFather posted:

Jeff George

He failed to make the roster during our 2006 season.

Yes, that 2006 Raider team.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
pretty happy with the raiders moves, woodley seemed out of touch in pittsburgh and if he can rediscover his old form he will be well worth the $. tuck is a great signing too and cheap as hell. these guys are all upgrades and reggie is doing it for cheap.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
If the Cowboy fans hate I will like it.

Welcome to the District Hatcher! Enjoy your decrim weed if you are down with that.

Seraphim Hubris
Dec 11, 2006

LEGO Genetics posted:

He failed to make the roster during our 2006 season.

Yes, that 2006 Raider team.

Oh god, I blocked that year out of my memory.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
I don't think Smith got more than 70 yards in any game last year.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

AfterFather posted:

Jeff George

They will be OK if they can actually stay healthy and find decent players in the draft.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Per Wolfson, Melton is staying in Minnesota overnight and apparently Munnerlyn is already trying to help recruit him.

I'm on my phone so no twiter link atm.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

John Brown posted:

Cowboys defense is hosed...again.

We could not afford to keep him so it's a good thing overall that he left (sucks he went to the Redskins though). If this happened two years ago Jerry would've given him a 7 year $80m extension.

The defense is going to be bad but throwing good money after bad is what got Dallas into this mess to begin with. They will have to take their lumps next season and hopefully hire a good defensive coach after Garrett is shitcanned.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

AfterFather posted:

Jeff George

Only Toaster Beef's version though.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm pretty sure signing Steve Smith would give Baltimore's FO the excuse it needs to not draft a WR till the 4th. I really want to take advantage of this awesome WR class and I'm pretty pissed that for some reason the Ravens don't.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

IcePhoenix posted:

Per Wolfson, Melton is staying in Minnesota overnight and apparently Munnerlyn is already trying to help recruit him.

I'm on my phone so no twiter link atm.

Melton would be a good reclamation project for Zimmer. Hopefully, they can sign him to a 1-year prove it contract. Joseph, Floyd, Melton, and Evans would be a very good group of tackles. Floyd is a downgrade from Williams at this point, but Joseph is a massive upgrade over Guion and Melton and Evans would provide good depth.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm pretty sure signing Steve Smith would give Baltimore's FO the excuse it needs to not draft a WR till the 4th. I really want to take advantage of this awesome WR class and I'm pretty pissed that for some reason the Ravens don't.

i am not against signing smith but the man is 35. get a rookie in one of the first two rounds and see what he can do

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Holy poo poo an IcePhoenix is in this thread? What's up man?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

i am not against signing smith but the man is 35. get a rookie in one of the first two rounds and see what he can do

I'm with you. Signing a guy who's got only one or two years left should not preclude you from taking someone at the same position in the draft. Rookies, especially receivers, usually take a season or two to develop before they're impact players. So by the time Smith retires you would have a replacement in the wings.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I'd rather develop Marlon Brown and draft someone than get Steve Smith.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nawid posted:

I don't think Smith got more than 70 yards in any game last year.

The Panthers had one of the most misunderstood passing games in the NFL last year. They use a lot of weird sets in the same series, where some teams will come out and run 21 or 12 personnel for an entire series, the panthers would go from a goal line formation wildcat play to a 5 wide play with tolbert in the slot for example. Some games Cam threw to 8 different guys some days Ginn would be lighting bitches up other days Lafell. Because of a lack of true talent at receiver and Olsen being the best receiver on the team Shula was pretty creative, though at times painfully stupid.

Smith not having a thousand yards and 10 touchdowns was as much a product of the system as it was his slowing down.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones and Marlon Brown isn't a crappy corps any way you slice it, especially with Pitta being the #1 (paid) option. Adding Smith probably would have some fist fights break out, but I don't see WR as a weakness by far.

edit: whats happenin w ray rice

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

waah posted:

Has a team ever started two rookie wide receivers as their main threats before?

DHB and Louis Murphy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Volkerball posted:

DHB and Louis Murphy.

Oh well in that case :suicide:

I'd be pretty open to Owen Daniels getting a call for the minimum, dude can still play not terribly. He'd be decent in a two tight set with Olsen anyway.

Hell I'd just call Holmes, Britt, Avant, Manningham and Austin and offer them cheap deals for a year and hope for the best. They're not exactly world beaters but its better than nothing. Sign as many cast offs as you can to the cheapest deals possible and see who Ricky Proehl can teach to not suck terribly like he did with Ginn.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 14, 2014

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

AfterFather posted:

Two things that haven't happened in years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Panthers made a move. Re-signed Anderson :effort:

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Miko posted:

Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones and Marlon Brown isn't a crappy corps any way you slice it, especially with Pitta being the #1 (paid) option. Adding Smith probably would have some fist fights break out, but I don't see WR as a weakness by far.

edit: whats happenin w ray rice

They're keeping him on the roster this season. I honestly think he can bounce back now that he doesn't have an injury on each of his legs. Ozzie's probably grabbing a RB in the 3rd or 4th anyways.

Torrey's been getting better every year and is excellent at drawing coverage. Hell, he made Tandon loving Doss look like a mediocre receiver. Marlon has a lot of potential and Jacoby's a good #3 guy to have around. If the line and running game are merely average, the offense can easily get going again.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

Look at this cis male here. Check your privilege

:v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Disillusionist posted:

We could not afford to keep him so it's a good thing overall that he left (sucks he went to the Redskins though). If this happened two years ago Jerry would've given him a 7 year $80m extension.

The defense is going to be bad but throwing good money after bad is what got Dallas into this mess to begin with. They will have to take their lumps next season and hopefully hire a good defensive coach after Garrett is shitcanned.

Hatcher leaving isn't as bad as it looks either. If the Cowboys weren't in cap hell, we'd be talking about how they let two 32 year-old members of the defensive line go to teams willing to potentially overpay them. Given that the team is in a lovely situation brought on by idiotic spending, these moves are more necessary, but the team needs to get both starters and depth and in the long run it'll be better to have two Jeremy Minceys than one Jason Hatcher. The defense wasn't just bad last year, it was also one of the most injured defenses in the league. The combination of those two made it one of the worst defenses in team history. It's more important for the team to put together passable depth right now than it is to have stars on the defensive line.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Dallas has suffered a large amount of injuries for at least the past 3 years now.

Is the this a result of poor strength and conditioning, or just bad luck?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

John Brown posted:

Dallas has suffered a large amount of injuries for at least the past 3 years now.

Probably both. There are a lot of hamstring injuries and supposedly they're "addressing" the problem.

Guys like Sean Lee and Demarco Murray seem to play in a way that increases their risk of injury, but that could just be conspiratorial musings on my part.

I think if you compare their injuries to the league as a whole, though, I doubt they'd be in the top 20%. The entire offensive line (except Waters) was healthy, for example.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Intruder posted:

Look at this cis male here. Check your privilege

:v:

dont you do that here. this is sports.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waroduce posted:

dont you do that here. this is sports.

It was a joke calm down there hoss.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Disillusionist posted:

Probably both. There are a lot of hamstring injuries and supposedly they're "addressing" the problem.

Guys like Sean Lee and Demarco Murray seem to play in a way that increases their risk of injury, but that could just be conspiratorial musings on my part.

I think if you compare their injuries to the league as a whole, though, I doubt they'd be in the top 20%. The entire offensive line (except Waters) was healthy, for example.

Dallas was one of the most injured teams in the league in 2012 and that trend continued on defense at least in 2013. People love to say "every team has injuries" but actually no, that's not so true and the least injured teams tend to play in the super bowl more. The niners have been one of the league's healthiest teams over the past 3 years. The AGL data for 2013 isn't out yet, but here's 2012:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/2012-adjusted-games-lost

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Personally I just hate seeing Hatcher go to Washington.

Dallas has had weird issues with defensive linemen and linebackers being repeatedly ravaged while other position groups have stayed relatively clean. Nothing but rotational players remain for every defensive line spot so I doubt the injury dropoff will be that severe this year :toot:

They went through, what, 19 individual defensive linemen last year?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just like that leaked board promised, Ben Tate is visiting the Browns. Tate would be a lot better than what they've had but the injury issues are significant there.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

John Brown posted:

Hamstring injuries are really common if guys work their quads too much and don't work their hammies enough. So there's probably a correlation there. Lots of dudes seem to smash weights early and then blow stuff out because they don't work their flexibility etc at the same time.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Sour Diesel posted:

I'd rather develop Marlon Brown and draft someone than get Steve Smith.

Exactly. Especially because S.Smith isn't a great red zone threat, is more of an outside receiver than an slot guy, and lacks the size to take advantage of Flacco's inaccuracy.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Hamstring injuries are really common if guys work their quads too much and don't work their hammies enough. So there's probably a correlation there. Lots of dudes seem to smash weights early and then blow stuff out because they don't work their flexibility etc at the same time.

One of the Dallas writers/reporters speculated that Garrett's practice habits are different than Phillips and Parcells. Not sure if there's any truth to that though. It would be interesting to see if the hamstring issue was occurring in the previous two regimes.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Another issue is that guys don't do targeted glute work so they have inferior biomechanics and rely more on their hamstrings to "paw" at the ground rather than "punch" at it:

"A “pawing” vs. a “punching” of the ground surface area ensues. This results in a greater “pull through” by the lower extremity to propel the body forward. This adjustment requires the hamstring muscle group to make a greater contribution as a knee flexor, thus repetitive strides over time set the table for possible hamstring injury."

http://bretcontreras.com/a-simple-test-for-glute-activity/

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page
Walter Thurmond just tweeted that he's visiting the niners but apparently he shares an agent with Brown. Probably nothing more than posturing for both teams to make a deal with their guy but it could be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

spencer for hire posted:

Walter Thurmond just tweeted that he's visiting the niners but apparently he shares an agent with Brown. Probably nothing more than posturing for both teams to make a deal with their guy but it could be interesting.

Thurmond would be a fantastic fit for the Niners, if he's able to stay healthy. Brown plays only outside, Thurmond can play in the slot as well (which is a need for the team).

• Locked thread