Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

@AdamSchefter
Raiders giving former Packers WR James Jones a three-year deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

shiksa posted:

goddamnit stop giving him money.

It's just going to go back to the league's coffers anyway.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
So with Jones out what's left of the WR crop for the panthers?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I really hope the Panthers have some wacky trade in mind. Or just draft nothing but receivers.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Alouicious posted:

Wait is Will Hill actually good, because he's a local guy so that'd be pretty cool if he was

HGNAHGHNGJrBF

Will Hill is one of those guys who parlayed his high school recruitment into a draft position despite doing nothing in college. There are only a few but he is one of them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sour Diesel posted:

I really hope the Panthers have some wacky trade in mind. Or just draft nothing but receivers.

hahaha they're gonna draft a d-lineman

swickles posted:

Will Hill is one of those guys who parlayed his high school recruitment into a draft position despite doing nothing in college. There are only a few but he is one of them.

yeah that's basically what I figured, but still

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
What in the ever loving gently caress are the Panthers doing

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Sour Diesel posted:

they've been keying in on cotchery a lot apparently

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Roasted Donut posted:

they've been keying in on cotchery a lot apparently

an inspiring signing. cam's going to leave isn't he?

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Febreeze posted:

So with Jones out what's left of the WR crop for the panthers?

Zypher posted:

Parmesan Basil posted:

Wide Receivers

8. Santonio Holmes
9. James Jones
13. Sidney Rice
17. Kenny Britt
18. Miles Austin
19. Damian Williams
20. Jerricho Cotchery
22. Danario Alexander
23. Lance Moore
25. Jacoby Ford
26. Robert Meachem
27. Austin Collie
28. Jason Avant
29. Joe Morgan
32. Marc Mariani
33. Josh Morgan
34. Nate Burleson
35. Mario Manningham
36. Darrius Heyward-Bey
38. Tiquan Underwood
39. Devin Hester
40. Lavelle Hawkins
41. Dezmon Briscoe
43. Louis Murphy
44. Davone Bess
45. Josh Cribbs

Man just look at this list of potential #1 receivers for Cam Newton.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I got a bad feeling about the DRC signing

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Panthers trade entire draft for AJ Green or something.

gently caress it I don't care.

gently caress you.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
There are currently six teams with less cap space than the Cowboys. Most of them, including the Steelers are less hosed than the Cowboys will be next year, but the Steelers may quietly be having the worst offseason.

https://nflplayers.com/reports/public-salary-cap.htm

Saints ($2.43M)
Steelers ($3.47M)
Lions ($4.05M)
Chargers ($5.21M)
49ers ($5.31M)
Chiefs ($6.94M)

[Cowboys $7.24M]

These are the official NFL numbers and likely do not include June 1st designations into their accounting, so there will be more room for some of the teams (+$3M for the Steelers from cutting Woodley, for example). Still, the Lions/Steelers/Saints likely cannot afford to sign their rookies, so expect some additional releases/cuts from those teams prior to the draft.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
There are currently six teams with less cap space than the Cowboys. Most of them, including the Steelers, are currently significantly less hosed than the Cowboys will be next year, but the Steelers may quietly be having the worst offseason this year.

https://nflplayers.com/reports/public-salary-cap.htm

Saints ($2.43M)
Steelers ($3.47M)
Lions ($4.05M)
Chargers ($5.21M)
49ers ($5.31M)
Chiefs ($6.94M)

[Cowboys $7.24M]

These are the official NFL numbers and likely do not include June 1st designations into their accounting, so there will be more room for some of the teams (+$3M for the Steelers from cutting Woodley, for example). Still, the Lions/Steelers/Saints likely cannot afford to sign their rookies, so expect some additional releases/cuts from those teams prior to the draft.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Who will be the lucky team to watch Austin Collie die on their field this year?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

shiksa posted:

an inspiring signing. cam's going to leave isn't he?

That's Jerricho '10 TDs last year' Cotchery to you

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Panthers could do a lot worse than Lance Moore and a first round rookie as their receivers.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Well my hopes of a Cromartie & Cromartie backfield are shot, hopefully we at least sign back Antonio Cromartie. Or one of his kids.

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...

Doltos posted:

I got a bad feeling about the DRC signing

In that with that contract he doesn't have incentive to perform?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
The Steelers will free up more money with long term extensions for Roethlisberger and Worilds. All in all not the best offseason, but to say they're anywhere near the worst is real silly

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Kalli posted:

Maybe Peyton Manning will finish off the job he started in Indy.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

That's Jerricho '10 TDs last year' Cotchery to you

For a good stretch of the season he was the #1 DVOA receiver lmao

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

smuggler posted:

The Packers will never sign a player again if he factors into the comp pick formula, after the Jeff Saturday debacle.

What happened with Saturday and compensatory picks? I know he didn't pan out for the Packers but I don't remember hearing stuff about comp picks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Roasted Donut posted:

The Steelers will free up more money with long term extensions for Roethlisberger and Worilds. All in all not the best offseason, but to say they're anywhere near the worst is real silly

No it's really bad. They'll be more than fine next year--not so hosed long term--but I don't see how you look at what they're doing and say "oh yeah this is not a contender for the worst offseason"

E: Also Worilds was a free agent--they had to use the transition tag on him. He's on a 1-year deal for $9.77M, slightly less (about ~$2M) than the franchise tag. There's no restructuring him to save room currently. Roethlisberger only has 1 year left, so he has to be extended to be restructured.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 17, 2014

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Weeden to the Cowboys is a match made in heaven.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

For a good stretch of the season he was the #1 DVOA receiver lmao

Old Man Cotchery was legit awesome last year and I'm gonna be kinda bummed if he leaves

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
This DRC signing has bust written all over it.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Roasted Donut posted:

Old Man Cotchery was legit awesome last year and I'm gonna be kinda bummed if he leaves

Don't worry, he probably won't.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

davecrazy posted:

This DRC signing has bust written all over it.

Depends on how it's structured. He's only guaranteed 15 out of the 39 million. And he's a definite upgrade over Webster/Ross.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

TheChirurgeon posted:

49ers ($5.31M)

49ers are down to 3.7, but will be getting back 6.6 on June 1. No issues there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

antisocial posted:

In that with that contract he doesn't have incentive to perform?

Anyone contemplating retirement then getting a huge payday makes me worried. I hope it's incentive laden and front-loaded.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PantsFreeZone posted:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Raiders reached agreement with former Packers WR James Jones, per ESPN source.

Ooooh.

Panthers are gonna get Lance Moore, aren't they? :(

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

Doltos posted:

Anyone contemplating retirement then getting a huge payday makes me worried. I hope it's incentive laden and front-loaded.

Brett Favre contemplated retirement... after 1997. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Also, James Jones rules. Wonder how much the Raiders paid for him.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

TheChirurgeon posted:

No it's really bad. They'll be more than fine next year--not so hosed long term--but I don't see how you look at what they're doing and say "oh yeah this is not a contender for the worst offseason"

E: Also Worilds was a free agent--they had to use the transition tag on him. He's on a 1-year deal for $9.77M, slightly less (about ~$2M) than the franchise tag. There's no restructuring him to save room currently. Roethlisberger only has 1 year left, so he has to be extended to be restructured.

Hence why I said extensions for both of them and not restructuring.

All in all the Steelers got a big upgrade with a new free safety (though overpaid some to do so) and unloaded/improved some of the bad contracts they had. Losing Al Woods and Johnathan Dwyer sucks from a depth perspective but they're both easily replaceable guys.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

He backed off of that pretty quickly didn't he? I tend to think he was just spitballing while someone had a mic on.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
This made me laugh.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Parmesan Basil posted:

Panthers could do a lot worse than Lance Moore and a first round rookie as their receivers.

Lance Moore averaged 3 catches for 35 yards per game with a future HOF quarterback throwing to him this past season. How bad is your worst case scenario?

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Kalli posted:

Probably the Patriots after Danny Amendola shatters into 1 million pieces next year.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Patriots are gonna somehow trade Danny Amendola to the Panthers for a draft pick.

BTW it looks like Kenny Britt is a Patriot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Chargers re-signed Seyi Ajirotutu

• Locked thread