Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Roasted Donut posted:

Bleh, Steelers were checking in on him. To the draft it is for a change of pace back then

I am hoping magical Steelers bullshit leads to Andre Williams falling to them in the 4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Coldforge posted:

Running backs are to be drafted, ground up and tossed away. No need to pay them actual money on an extended contract.

Even if his legs fall off tomorrow (and something like that will probably happen soon) signing Charles was one of the things Pioli did right.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DupaDupa posted:

I don't think there has been a single rumor connecting him anywhere which is astonishing to me.

Wootton is recovering from an injury, so the market for him hasn't been established yet.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami is being linked to former Denver Broncos running back Generic Dude A

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

superaielman posted:

Packers bringing back James Starks per Adam Schefter. Must not have had much of a market. I'm not complaining, he was fantastic in a backup role for Eddie Lacy last season and you can't have too many good running backs.

I'd like to see one of Pickett or Jolly brought back (along with Matt Flynn) but as it is I'm pretty happy with the Packers this FA season.

I really don't understand why we would bring Starks back unless we're doing so extremely cheap. Lacy's our clear #1 guy, Franklin's a fourth-round pick who showed flashes of being a dynamic change-of-pace back, Harris was going to be our starter last year if not for the preseason injury. Hell, we run Cobb out of the backfield a couple times a game, too. How much are we really going to run it?

Frankly, we need a couple of big bodies on the line as depth and goal-line support. Couldn't agree more about getting Pickett or Jolly back.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh and even though Miami has a great returner in Marcus Thigpen (at least, he had some flashes) Hester is being linked to Miami.

So Knowshon Moreno and Hester, eh? Maybe at competitive contracts. I'd take Moreno solely because he's a great blocking back and can get 2 yards when you need 2 yards

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

surf rock posted:

Franklin's a fourth-round pick who showed flashes of being a dynamic change-of-pace back,

Really? He had one good run and not much else. And if you take out that one 51 yarder, he averaged 3.1 yards on 18 carries. And two fumbles.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

Zypher posted:

Really? He had one good run and not much else. And if you take out that one 51 yarder, he averaged 3.1 yards on 18 carries. And two fumbles.

Franklin flashed in the Bengals game, but the coaching staff pretty clearly didn't trust him due to the turnovers/awful showing in training camp.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The Bengals D always sucks against the run early in the year and gets progressively better. It's uncanny.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Coldforge posted:

Running backs are to be drafted, ground up and tossed away. No need to pay them actual money on an extended contract.

I agree with you in principle, but in practice it feels weird saying that when our team's offensive identity has been built around a single running back for nearly a decade.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I agree with you in principle, but in practice it feels weird saying that when our team's offensive identity has been built around a single running back for nearly a decade.

I was trying to state the reality of the position more than my opinion. Personally, I wish they could all have a long, healthy career :(

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ravens and Jets are interested in Ryan Clark apparently.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Sweeney Tom posted:

Ravens and Jets are interested in Ryan Clark apparently.

As a position coach?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
12 of the top 20 RBs by yards last year were on at least their 2nd contracts. It's a lot easier to find guys to produce later in the draft earlier in their careers than a lot of other positions, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as "don't re-sign RBs".

Just... don't Hurney it.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Holy poo poo James Jones is the one FA I wanted, yes!

c'monnnn Bridgewater.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Getting Starks on the cheap for two years is fine by me. He played really well last season and works very well as a complementary back. If Harris is healthy and okay and Franklin gets it together then we can prevent grinding Lacy to mulch in three seasons!

I don't expect Pickett or Jolly to come back. I want to see Jolly back, but seeing as how Finley is probably done, my guess is the Packers don't want to be a team that has someone break their neck on the field. Flynn / Tolzien will probably be our backups, though. Wouldn't be surprised if we draft someone in the later rounds and Ted adopts the Ron Wolf approach.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MAYBE R.J. WEBB IS SECRETLY REALLY GOOD

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Alouicious posted:

MAYBE R.J. WEBB IS SECRETLY REALLY GOOD

Brenton Bersin just needs a chance to shine.

jesus i just googled that guy, he's WR Clausen.

I really hope he actually is good

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TubeStank posted:

I don't expect Pickett or Jolly to come back. I want to see Jolly back, but seeing as how Finley is probably done, my guess is the Packers don't want to be a team that has someone break their neck on the field.

Didn't that already happen with Terrance Murphy?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
What's the story with Thomas DeCoud? Seems to me like someone should pursue him as a FS stop-gap considering how empty the market looks. At least I'd rather take a chance on him than the corpse of Ryan Clark.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Brannock posted:

Didn't that already happen with Terrance Murphy?

And Nick Collins. Packers need to start drafting players that have Takeo Spikes' neck.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Come to Carolina, Britt.

Or anyone.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

superaielman posted:

Franklin flashed in the Bengals game, but the coaching staff pretty clearly didn't trust him due to the turnovers/awful showing in training camp.

Jonathan Franklin indirectly produced one of the greatest homer calls of all time so he's cool with me

https://soundcloud.com/dan-hoard/newman-fumble-return-td

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Receivers are strangely scarce. When Percy Harvin gets hurt on the opening kickoff of week 1 the Seahawks are going to be rolling with 2 UDFAs and a CFL player. If the defenses hold up Seattle @ Carolina this year could be a 0-0 tie.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

DancingMachine posted:

Receivers are strangely scarce. When Percy Harvin gets hurt on the opening kickoff of week 1 the Seahawks are going to be rolling with 2 UDFAs and a CFL player. If the defenses hold up Seattle @ Carolina this year could be a 0-0 tie.

Apparently they're putting some effort into attracting Kenny Britt. He's talented enough to be worth a look. They may still pursue Finley to play the same kind of role Jimmy Graham plays with NO. It's almost a certainty that they'll go for at least one WR in the draft too.

I ain't worried about poo poo. 19-0 2014 here we come

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Didn't Britt already sign with the Pats?

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Green Bay has been neck deep in injuries for the past three seasons. While Lacy looked darn good, he will probably get injured at least briefly next season. DuJuan Harris kicked some rear end for us in 2012 but hes coming off an injury that cost him an entire season. Franklin to me looked pretty pedestrian in limited action before likewise succuming to a season ender. That is why Green Bay needed to sign Starks back. I pray he can stay healthy. He has always played well for us when he can stay out there on the field.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Schwack posted:

Apparently they're putting some effort into attracting Kenny Britt. He's talented enough to be worth a look. They may still pursue Finley to play the same kind of role Jimmy Graham plays with NO. It's almost a certainty that they'll go for at least one WR in the draft too.

I ain't worried about poo poo. 19-0 2014 here we come

I'm cool with Britt getting a shot. However he better take the minimum or a contract that is all incentive based. Those incentives being don't go to jail and show up to the games.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If Britt is smart (he's not at all) he goes to Carolina where his only competition is marvin mcnutt.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I thought Britt already signed with the Pats.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I thought Britt already signed with the Pats.

He left without a contract.

FizFashizzle posted:

If Britt is smart (he's not at all) he goes to Carolina where his only competition is marvin mcnutt.

That really depends on a lot of things, like what kind of contract you will offer him. He is real dumb though.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Britt's visiting Washington tomorrow. The Seahawks are also interested in him reportedly.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No one is going to give britt a long term deal because he's probably mentally unstable. The best place for him to go would be somewhere he can show he's not crazy anymore and put up decent numbers. That's not going to be in an offense that consists of 45 hand offs a game and a bunch of horseshit wounded ducks from Russell Wilson.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FizFashizzle posted:

No one is going to give britt a long term deal because he's probably mentally unstable. The best place for him to go would be somewhere he can show he's not crazy anymore and put up decent numbers. That's not going to be in an offense that consists of 45 hand offs a game and a bunch of horseshit wounded ducks from Russell Wilson.

Cam Newton only had about 40 or 50 more completed passes than Wilson did last year, so making the argument that your offense is more productive in the passing game isn't really a great one. Britt better go to New England I guess.

Also if we are going to play the dumb hypotheticals game, Britt would be better off on an offense where he isn't the sole contributing receiver who can just be double covered all game long.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Parmesan Basil posted:

"No, that'll be our record!" cry out a million pessimistic fans. TFF has a new rallying cry.

Cowboys fans know in our hearts that we won't go 7-9. We'll go 8-8.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

FizFashizzle posted:

Come home Kenny Britt.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

surf rock posted:

I really don't understand why we would bring Starks back unless we're doing so extremely cheap. Lacy's our clear #1 guy, Franklin's a fourth-round pick who showed flashes of being a dynamic change-of-pace back, Harris was going to be our starter last year if not for the preseason injury. Hell, we run Cobb out of the backfield a couple times a game, too. How much are we really going to run it?

Frankly, we need a couple of big bodies on the line as depth and goal-line support. Couldn't agree more about getting Pickett or Jolly back.

I think we're fine on the D-line with what we have, we'll probably draft a sizeable NT in the later rounds, unless both top TEs and Clinton-Dix are off the board, then we might go with Nix, who would be a much better 3-4 NT than Raji as far as run-stopping.

I'm a little surprised by the Starks re-signing too, given the depth we have and Starks' injury history, although I love him when he's healthy.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zypher posted:

Man just look at this list of potential #1 receivers for Cam Newton.
Jacoby Ford, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Louis Murphy.

JPrime posted:

So I'm just playing catchup now with football stuff...is this Veldheer guy any good? Between him and our rookie OL coming back from a broken leg, can I look forward to Palmer having more than a half-second to throw the ball?
Should be good enough for the most part, although you should always expect this to happen at the worst time:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000079655/Abraham-forces-Palmer-fumble

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Look how far down dhb is ranked. Jesus. I saw the raiders signed an offensive lineman from the giants, and his name was not Pugh, so we still need an answer at guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Come home Kenny Britt.

Britt in the New York area around his friends is the worst idea he could have.

• Locked thread