Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

PantsFreeZone posted:

I think they are waiting for the June 1st cuts to free of cap space to sign him.

yup

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m

The money isn't yet available, but Henry Melton's contract with the #Cowboys will be a one-year deal with an option year, source says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West

DupaDupa posted:

yup

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m

The money isn't yet available, but Henry Melton's contract with the #Cowboys will be a one-year deal with an option year, source says.

Sweet, this new signing people without being able to is pretty cool.

Mgant fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 19, 2014

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
So far after the initial disappointment of the 1st day of free agency I've been pleasantly surprised with Reggie's moves. I just hope he doesn't screw up the draft.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I'm still waiting on the actual $$ but the Melton deal sounds like it could be reasonable. I'd hate for them to give big money to a guy coming off a major injury, but he's performed well under Marinelli and they definitely needed him. I'd much rather have him than Allen or Hatcher.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

So far after the initial disappointment of the 1st day of free agency I've been pleasantly surprised with Reggie's moves. I just hope he doesn't screw up the draft.

This is where I'm at. Losing Veldheer without any replacement sucks so hard, and it's probably going to become blatantly obvious very soon that it was a dumb as poo poo decision, but there's been like 10 other signings I've loved. I like Boothe for depth, and hope he's not penciled in to start, but all the d-line and secondary signings have been great.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Sign Marshall Newhouse for the minimum. You could do much worse.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Volkerball posted:

This is where I'm at. Losing Veldheer without any replacement sucks so hard, and it's probably going to become blatantly obvious very soon that it was a dumb as poo poo decision, but there's been like 10 other signings I've loved. I like Boothe for depth, and hope he's not penciled in to start, but all the d-line and secondary signings have been great.

Was his lawyer brother an idiot story bunk?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

smuggler posted:

Sign Marshall Newhouse for the minimum. You could do much worse.

Not that much.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Disillusionist posted:

I'm still waiting on the actual $$ but the Melton deal sounds like it could be reasonable. I'd hate for them to give big money to a guy coming off a major injury, but he's performed well under Marinelli and they definitely needed him. I'd much rather have him than Allen or Hatcher.

Word is it's a one-year deal for relatively little, but he gets a big bonus if he's on the roster in 2015, and there can be up to 3 more years.

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!
It looks like one 3 year option as opposed to 3 one year options. If Melton does well he probably makes bank, if he doesn't he goes back to being a UFA next year and the Cowboys don't add any more dead money

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hand Row posted:

Was his lawyer brother an idiot story bunk?
:iiam: The only other thing I've read is that they low balled him:

quote:

Veldheer’s camp made an initial offer to stay in Oakland. According to an NFL source, the Raiders responded with a five-year contract worth $30 million with $10 million guaranteed. Veldheer countered, but the Raiders believed the gap was too wide. The NFL source said Raiders didn’t budge. Not then, not ever.

The contract offer would’ve ranked lower than any left tackle signed in the first 24 hours of free agency and less guaranteed money than the Raiders gave left tackle/guard Rodger Saffold or right tackle Austin Howard.
Regardless of the brother theory (and I think the money stated here contradicts it?) it basically means they valued Saffold more but would've kept Veldheer at the right price. No figures on Penn's contract yet right?

I was more concerned about Houston myself cause they have even less depth on that side of the line (and still do even after the signings). If they made an offer I'm guessing it would've been valued as a DT or left rather than right DE, which is what he/his agent was probably looking for.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

warcrimes posted:

Philly is offering DeSean Jackson for a 3rd round pick. You hear that, Panthers?
This is one of those times where it's good to have John Dorsey around to talk Andy out of making a move like this.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LiquidFriend posted:

This is one of those times where it's good to have John Dorsey around to talk Andy out of making a move like this.

If they Panthers had cap space it would be a great idea, but they cant afford the 20 mill over the next two years.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Texans have signed their first free agent that wasn't on their team last year, Jerrell Powe, who has played like 10 games in his three year career. But he's a massive dude who can play NT I guess so whatever. Chiefs fans are sure to be :geno: about losing him

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

DangerKat posted:

Not that much.

Yeah, Newhouse was kind of a turnstile in pass protection when he got in. He was ok against power rushers, but speed rushers seemed to blow right past him.

There's a reason he wasn't starting over a 4th round rookie at LT last year after Bulaga went down, or over a 2nd year undrafted FA at RT.

Good luck, whoever signs him. He's depth, not a starter.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

BlindSite posted:

If they Panthers had cap space it would be a great idea, but they cant afford the 20 mill over the next two years.
Same reason for the Chiefs. They are only sitting on about 5 million in space now and are already minus a 2nd round pick, which isn't good with the holes allover the roster.

The Eagles would have to settle for a 2015 draft pick and Desean would have to take a severe paycut this year to make it happen.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

LiquidFriend posted:

Same reason for the Chiefs. They are only sitting on about 5 million in space now and are already minus a 2nd round pick, which isn't good with the holes allover the roster.

The Eagles would have to settle for a 2015 draft pick and Desean would have to take a severe paycut this year to make it happen.

Hey that's one less rookie they have to make room to sign :v:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

If they don't come out of the draft with a good WR, I'd say it's a trade worth making even if they have to restructure contracts to make it happen. They're going to be getting a lot of comp picks and the Alex Smith trade will finally be over.

Would think at least Bowe would re-do his deal if it meant getting a player that would draw coverage away from him.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is Thomas Decoud dead or what? A few teams need an FS and I haven't even heard his name.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Same with chris Clemons

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Same with chris Clemons

I'm fairly surprised we haven't heard anything about him and the Pats.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

quote:

@RapSheet: Terms for Henry Melton’s #Cowboys deal: 1st year, $5M. If he’s on roster Day 1 of ’15, 3 years kick at $8M per year, $9M guaranteed for ‘15

quote:

@RapSheet: What does that mean? If Melton plays like he did in 2012, he’ll have a deal that becomes four years worth $29M with $14M guaranteed by 2015

Yeah I get why Emery didn't match that contract now.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
See I have actually heard talk about Clemons, specifically in relation to the Ravens, plenty of talking heads have mentioned his name. My uninformed guess is that teams are waiting for him to realize his limited value before entering talks. Decoud is just a non entity. I know he was bad recently but the guy is one year removed from a pro-bowl season. I feel like if I stared Adam Schefter dead in the eyes and said Thomas Decoud he would walk right through me like I was a ghost.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I really wouldn't mind Clemons back on the Dolphins, if no-one's going to offer him a truly big deal.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
How could the Patriots afford DJax? They have very little cap space left after the Edelman signing (4 yr $17m 5m signing bonus, only had $7m in room without counting that).

A trade would probably require a new contract (which seems like any team would need) and letting Wilfork walk, yeah?

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

DupaDupa posted:

Yeah I get why Emery didn't match that contract now.

I'm actually ok with that contract. They can cut him loose without penalty after a year if he isn't back to roughly pre-injury form, and if he's good and they keep him then frankly I thought they were going to overpay with a bigger contract so it's still a pleasant surprise!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Squinky v2.0 posted:

How could the Patriots afford DJax? They have very little cap space left after the Edelman signing (4 yr $17m 5m signing bonus, only had $7m in room without counting that).

A trade would probably require a new contract (which seems like any team would need) and letting Wilfork walk, yeah?

Cut wilfork, cut some other people, restructure some people... maybe trade amendola plus a draft pick to the Eagles. They have some flexibility.

Edit: Maybe slip the prosecutors a 20 to speed up charging Hernandez so we can get some of that cap money back *crosses fingers*

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 19, 2014

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

You know Gettleman, Armanti Edwards is a free agent.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Rasczak posted:

I'm actually ok with that contract. They can cut him loose without penalty after a year if he isn't back to roughly pre-injury form, and if he's good and they keep him then frankly I thought they were going to overpay with a bigger contract so it's still a pleasant surprise!

It's actually not a bad contract! Its just the year one cap hit would have made Melton the last move the Bears could have made in FA if the reports of 7-8 million in cap space are to be believed.

Edit:
Yeah, thats true. I guess I was assuming Cutler's contract wouldn't be restructured.
vvvvv

DupaDupa fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 19, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DupaDupa posted:

It's actually not a bad contract! Its just the year one cap hit would have made Melton the last move the Bears could have made in FA if the reports of 7-8 million in cap space are to be believed.

Sorta. The Bears could easily make more moves. Just that doing them would add dead money to Cutler's contract after year 3. They also Cut Earl Bennett, and forced Weems to take a pay cut.

But yeah. Depending on whatever the hell the Bears are doing on Defense this year. I would have been cool with that Deal for Henry Melton.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Cut wilfork, cut some other people, restructure some people... maybe trade amendola plus a draft pick to the Eagles. They have some flexibility.

Edit: Maybe slip the prosecutors a 20 to speed up charging Hernandez so we can get some of that cap money back *crosses fingers*

Trading Amendola and a draft pick to the Eagles would not help. No team will take on his contract because they don't think he has a working groin. On top of that, trading Amendola would count 650k AGAINST the cap, from what I understand. It would be the exact opposite of helping.

There are like NO options for them outside of DJ saying he will take far less, which is very unlikely.

Edit: Of course they could straight out cut Vince, get no one to fill in the space, then maybe not have to ask DJ to lower his salary by too much.

In all likelihood, Amendola is here for 2014.

Robot_Rumpus fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 19, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

BlindSite posted:

I would be really happy with avant in Carolina. He's nothing special but at least he's experienced enough to recognise coverage and sure handed enough to bail cam outta trouble. Maybe in the coming days when the britt and cotchery stuff cools down.

I love to get Jackson but the team couldn't afford to outbid Indy for Nicks no shot they take him.

The Panthers were the first thing I thought of, honestly... but then I realized they already have a couple 500 yard guys. The problem is they don't have a 1000 yard guy and god drat do they need one.

Then again, I think Avant could be more than a 500 yard guy in Carolina just because he could be a safety valve for Cam. Avant is very reliable for a quick 5-10 yard catch over the middle or on an out route.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 19, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Fenrir posted:

The Panthers were the first thing I thought of, honestly... but then I realized they already have a couple 500 yard guys.

Who?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Michael Vick is visiting the Jets this weekend!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Alright, alright... 300 yard guys.

Either way, point being, they could probably get Avant for a good price and probably should.

e: I'm still shocked that they didn't go after James Jones. Then again, I'm just surprised that Jones didn't even make 4m/year. I figured someone would have overpaid by quite a bit. I kinda expected him to go for at least 6m/year by a desperate team but it seems sanity somehow took over the NFL in this FA season.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 19, 2014

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Brandon Gibson to Carolina do it

3rd rounder

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Brandon Gibson to Carolina do it

3rd rounder

Why on earth would the Dolphins do that?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
J-E-T-S Vick Vick Vick! Is New England ever not going to win their division ever?

PoppingFresh
Aug 18, 2004

It must be the shoes...

Elephanthead posted:

J-E-T-S Vick Vick Vick! Is New England ever not going to win their division ever?

You just need to have Brady blow out his knee again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Elephanthead posted:

I don't get this post. That's not how you pronounce Jets. You spelled it, but then you said Vick. Please elaborate. Also, there have been many years in which the Patriots have not won the division. If you check the wikipedia article for the AFC East, you will see many examples of this!

• Locked thread