Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Hand of the King posted:

What's the first

Rollerball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

mr. mephistopheles posted:

He seems like a nice, humble guy though so I don't mind him getting work.

Where do you get that from? Cuz he's actually a drunk driving louse.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Klein is a guy that's great at playing dopes but looks too pretty to be a character actor. Kind of like Keanu Reeves and Mark Wahlberg but with way less talent.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I don't know if anyone else notices this or even cares but it consistently infuriates me when poster designers (and Mondo seem to be particularly guilty of this) format text justified and centered with quotation marks included as characters, which causes the whole loving tagline to read lopsided and could be avoided with all the effort of a single ticked checkbox in InDesign.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Klein is a guy that's great at playing dopes but looks too pretty to be a character actor. Kind of like Keanu Reeves and Mark Wahlberg but with way less talent.

This is exactly correct.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is exactly correct.

I definitely feel like he could do the Wahlberg jump to high profile action/comedy rear end in a top hat if he got one solid casting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Like with Jason Biggs, I never thought casting was the problem. He's no Taylor Kitsch.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Basebf555 posted:

I feel bad for Klein because he's one of those actors whose career was totally derailed by a single (really)bad movie that he participated in at precisely the wrong moment. Rollerball was just terrible for everyone involved, but it was Klein's first big role after the success of American Pie so Hollywood assumed he wasn't bankable after that.

Say It Ain't So is pretty awful also.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Maybe Klein would have more work if he embraced his baldness and stopped trying to retain his pretty boy image. Maybe grow a mustache and become this generations Terry O'Quinn.

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh

Spazzle posted:

Rollerball

Clearly you haven't seen Futuresport

Marf Revus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 20, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, new Godzilla poster apparently.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Marf Revus posted:

"special guest appearance by Wesley Snipes" is probably some contractual thing, but it sounds like he has the kind of brief but center spotlight scene that's usually reserved for a pop star or sportsman doing a cameo.

Plus he's right there on the cover next to the main actors.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Marf Revus posted:

Huh reminds me of Sphere's poster

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Mods requesting namechange to "ORGANIZED SPORT. BLOOD SPORT"

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

achillesforever6 posted:

Huh reminds me of Sphere's poster

Reminds me of Supernova's poster.

EDIT: Holy poo poo the trailer for this is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUdy0Cu3f_o

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 20, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hewlett posted:

Reminds me of Supernova's poster.

Hahahaha, what the hell is going on with that?

Edit: I haven't seen the movie since it was out in theaters but I'm pretty sure it was just a straight sci-fi thriller and nothing like whatever that is.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Marf Revus posted:

Of course I've seen future sport. I've also seen blood of heroes. Neither are rollerball or rollerball.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Hewlett posted:

Holy crap, it's like this, but real. :psyduck:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Robert Forster being fused into the ship during the FTL drive sequence was hee-larious.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Franz von Dada posted:

Holy crap, it's like this, but real. :psyduck:

Walter Hill has had an interesting career.

Edit: Also, apparently Supernova was recut by Francis Ford Coppola during one of his low points.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 20, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

iO9 has a bunch of unused mock-ups for the Gravity poster. Here's a few, but there are some other good ones at the link.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Hahahaha, what the hell is going on with that?

Edit: I haven't seen the movie since it was out in theaters but I'm pretty sure it was just a straight sci-fi thriller and nothing like whatever that is.

It is, just the music and the narration almost seems like someones joke on their way out of the door to another employer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

iO9 has a bunch of unused mock-ups for the Gravity poster. Here's a few, but there are some other good ones at the link.

Kind of thinking this is going to cause some poo poo to go down momentarily. These type of comps are not supposed to see the light of day.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

Kind of thinking this is going to cause some poo poo to go down momentarily. These type of comps are not supposed to see the light of day.

This is going to get someone blackballed, isn't it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Young Freud posted:

This is going to get someone blackballed, isn't it?

That's kinda too bad, because I like these as concepts.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah the three posted are much better than the official one.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Why is it bad to show poster mock-ups?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Every film has a hundred comps I'd love to show (especially Argo, holy poo poo) but the deal is when you work with a studio you're contractually obligated to bury this stuff.

The weird part is that they were posted by Framestore which isn't a print vendor, they do VFX within trailers, like title treatment graphics and stuff. Since this is a VFX-heavy film they were treated kind of like a normal vendor but I'm not sure what their contract said. So either they aren't obligated to bury it like a normal print vendor is or they aren't aware that they're supposed to (thinking the second one). Maybe they'll just let it slide but I do know that the Gravity team is aware of this happening today. I got the low down from a hot assistant. :mmmsmug:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

kiimo posted:

Every film has a hundred comps I'd love to show (especially Argo, holy poo poo) but the deal is when you work with a studio you're contractually obligated to bury this stuff.

Ugh. I hate you kiimo, show us the drat comps! :argh:

Go down in a blaze of amazing posters.

e: is there a time limit on this or can they literally never see the light of day?

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 21, 2014

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

These are pretty good.

This isn't.

That ostrich is standing perfectly still :psyduck:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Mild bewilderment at Adam Sandler antics while dangerous rhinos plot all of their demise in the bg.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Max22 posted:

I'm glad that they overinflated that ostrich's tail otherwise this is going to look like a movie about ostrich rape.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Ugh. I hate you kiimo, show us the drat comps! :argh:

Go down in a blaze of amazing posters.

e: is there a time limit on this or can they literally never see the light of day?

They're destroyed. Sometimes digital copies are kept for records for a while with an off-site company but I don't know for how long. They gone. Along with the hopes and fears and dreams of a billion pointless people like dust in the wind. :smith:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Not a movie, but Game of Thrones is ramping up its marketing with a series of posters here: http://beautifuldeath.com/

All of the Episode Fan Art they have in addition is pretty horrible, though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

The weird part is that they were posted by Framestore which isn't a print vendor, they do VFX within trailers, like title treatment graphics and stuff. Since this is a VFX-heavy film they were treated kind of like a normal vendor but I'm not sure what their contract said. So either they aren't obligated to bury it like a normal print vendor is or they aren't aware that they're supposed to (thinking the second one). Maybe they'll just let it slide but I do know that the Gravity team is aware of this happening today. I got the low down from a hot assistant. :mmmsmug:

Framestore was the main vfx house for the film itself and not just the trailer. Plus they designed the poster and posted the mockups on their site proper... so I don't think this was an absent minded contractual breach. I think they just "own" more of the assets than a typical house.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

kiimo posted:

They're destroyed. Sometimes digital copies are kept for records for a while with an off-site company but I don't know for how long. They gone. Along with the hopes and fears and dreams of a billion pointless people like dust in the wind. :smith:

That is such a major bummer.
I hope people sneak as much of their own work out as possible for their sanity.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Well, hopefully this Gravity thing will illustrate the secondary value of unused promotional material.

... I can hope!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This one looks like it's a film about the slowest sperm.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Marf Revus posted:

Not quite rollerball, more 'running with dog skulls and hitting each other with sticks'. But it is a futuresport and very fun movie

I love these cheesy old movie posters from the 80s that totally isn't ripping off an homage to that scene in Predator which came out two years earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Max22 posted:

Those are the worst haircuts of all time.