Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Seat Safety Switch posted:

No, I mean, send me a speedo cable, because mine makes horrible noises and you probably have a spare.

I think I have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

opengl128 posted:

Does this sound like a common/known issue to anybody? My 97 started running like rear end today. I was cruising in 4th and it started to stumble, noticeably down on power. Pulled over, and it really wanted to stall, sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders at best. It would rev relatively freely, but barely stayed idling. Shut it down for 10 minutes or so, reseated every electrical connection in the engine bay, all plug wires, started it up, same thing. Decided to limp it home, got about 5 minutes with the same symptoms, until I got to a steep hill. Severely lost power at this point, even in first, I barely, barely made it up, it was coughing and sputtering and smelled like gas. Foot to the floor in first, barely kept it above idle and moving. Got over the hill, clutched in, gave it a few revs, and like a light switch, it was back to normal, drove the remaining 15 minutes home with no issue. No CEL at any time during this.

Ideas? It has sat for the past few months but I drove it last week for several hours without issue.

I'm going to second plug wires here. Feels like a miss under load, revs fine otherwise. CAS is definitely my 2nd bet though.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I had a similar issue that turned out to be the ECU frying itself. Big black burn right down the circuit board.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FatCow posted:

I think I have one.

Let me know if you turn one up. :)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just purchased this, my first Miata (cross-post from Post Your Own Ride thread)

Have already checked crank pulley and am now considering replacing tires (even though they're brand new) and shocks. Any suggestions for shocks?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

opengl128 posted:

Does this sound like a common/known issue to anybody? My 97 started running like rear end today. I was cruising in 4th and it started to stumble, noticeably down on power. Pulled over, and it really wanted to stall, sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders at best. It would rev relatively freely, but barely stayed idling. Shut it down for 10 minutes or so, reseated every electrical connection in the engine bay, all plug wires, started it up, same thing. Decided to limp it home, got about 5 minutes with the same symptoms, until I got to a steep hill. Severely lost power at this point, even in first, I barely, barely made it up, it was coughing and sputtering and smelled like gas. Foot to the floor in first, barely kept it above idle and moving. Got over the hill, clutched in, gave it a few revs, and like a light switch, it was back to normal, drove the remaining 15 minutes home with no issue. No CEL at any time during this.

Ideas? It has sat for the past few months but I drove it last week for several hours without issue.

Sounds like a coil pack issue to me. Almost the same deal happened with my car, also a '97. Randomly would run on 2 cylinders, mostly at startup, then would magically run fine for days. Started getting more often that it would act up, I had a hunch it was the coil packs, and I found a '96 Miata at the local yard so I grabbed some for 20 bucks and swapped them out. Haven't had a problem since. Getting ready to remove my cat because I'm pretty sure it's hosed with all the gas being dumped into it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

leica posted:

Sounds like a coil pack issue to me. Almost the same deal happened with my car, also a '97. Randomly would run on 2 cylinders, mostly at startup, then would magically run fine for days. Started getting more often that it would act up, I had a hunch it was the coil packs, and I found a '96 Miata at the local yard so I grabbed some for 20 bucks and swapped them out. Haven't had a problem since. Getting ready to remove my cat because I'm pretty sure it's hosed with all the gas being dumped into it.

I'm definitely not driving it until I replace something, hoping not to damage the cat much, when i was sputtering up the hill in first you could hear and smell the gas spitting out the exhaust. I'm fairly confident it'll either be the CAS, wires, or coil pack, and already have the CAS coming from Phone, so hopefully I'll know soon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The good thing though is that the 96-97 coilpack is cheap and O'Reilly will sell you one with a lifetime warranty.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Just purchased this, my first Miata (cross-post from Post Your Own Ride thread)

Have already checked crank pulley and am now considering replacing tires (even though they're brand new) and shocks. Any suggestions for shocks?

http://fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Bilstein_coilover_revalve_NA_NB.htm for a daily driver. Xidas if you're making a dedicated track car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

craig588 posted:

http://fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Bilstein_coilover_revalve_NA_NB.htm for a daily driver. Xidas if you're making a dedicated track car.

$2k for coilovers for a summer time car? That seems excessive. I am actually thinking of getting the Koni STR.T shocks and Racing Beat springs/sway bars for it when I jump in.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 10, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

craig588 posted:

Xidas ride better than FCMs.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, well if that's true, Xidas all the way. They weren't an option when I got FCM revalves and I always assumed FCM were the only people doing street oriented shocks.

The Konis aren't really much better than the stock Mazda shocks and you're already getting nearly halfway in price to good shock levels, it's kind of waste to spend that money on a very mild upgrade. The main reason the budget shock kits get so much play is even really cheap ones are better than 20+ year old worn out factory shocks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, my friend locally did that. He assembled a coilover using OTS parts and got an OK setup for $1000... which he just replaced with Xidas this past winter. So instead of spending $2000 on Xidas, he spent $3000 total for Xidas in the end.

If you just want a cheap upgrade, scour CL and the various Miata forums for MSM complete assembly take-offs. If you can score a set of those for $500ish, that'd be decent. There's a lot of garbage in the $1k range, and if you're going to do it right, do it right once.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
How about waiting for Tecnas?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wish I were rich so I could use the FM rally AFCOs :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

opengl128 posted:

I'm definitely not driving it until I replace something, hoping not to damage the cat much, when i was sputtering up the hill in first you could hear and smell the gas spitting out the exhaust. I'm fairly confident it'll either be the CAS, wires, or coil pack, and already have the CAS coming from Phone, so hopefully I'll know soon.

I highly doubt it's the wires, but if they're old replace them anyway.

craig588 posted:

The Konis aren't really much better than the stock Mazda shocks and you're already getting nearly halfway in price to good shock levels, it's kind of waste to spend that money on a very mild upgrade. The main reason the budget shock kits get so much play is even really cheap ones are better than 20+ year old worn out factory shocks.

Well the problem is that most factory shocks on NAs are toast anyway, and who the hell is going to buy new OEM shocks?

I got a very slightly used set of koni yellows with FCM bumpstops and stock springs/top hats for $400 from a guy that upgraded to a FCM setup, was perfect for me, and you can find deals like that if you look around. I like the Konis, imo they are the best for an affordable stock replacement. Eventually I'll upgrade to Xidas/FCM.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 10, 2014

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I'm probably going with either Vmaxx and Techna coilovers because I'm a poor pleb.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you're poor just get some Koni yellows and maybe some used GC sleeves. If you can't afford Xidas or FCMs wait until you can because it's just a waste otherwise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So my ebay selling has gone quite well, gonna order the top here shortly. The original top was tan, looks like it was vinyl-dyed black to hide the imperfections. I'm okay with the black top honestly so I'm looking at the Black Cabrio Vinyl listed on Topsonline for $335. Will I regret that choice? What's the go-to model I should be getting?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Are Xidas/FCM the recommended setup for NCs as well? I'm looking into getting a new setup as the stock NC has massive bodyroll. It's exclusively a street-driven car now. I might want to get into Autocross/track days in the future, but not definitely on that yet. If it changes your recommendation, street-only.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Rhyno posted:

So my ebay selling has gone quite well, gonna order the top here shortly. The original top was tan, looks like it was vinyl-dyed black to hide the imperfections. I'm okay with the black top honestly so I'm looking at the Black Cabrio Vinyl listed on Topsonline for $335. Will I regret that choice? What's the go-to model I should be getting?

The one I just installed last weekend was a robbins from tops online (saddle cabrio vinyl). Robbins is the go-to brand afaik, get it with a rain rail if you don't want to hate yourself (or have people at the shop hate you).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dpidz0r posted:

The one I just installed last weekend was a robbins from tops online (saddle cabrio vinyl). Robbins is the go-to brand afaik, get it with a rain rail if you don't want to hate yourself (or have people at the shop hate you).

I'm pretty sure I'll have to find someone to install it since I've been told the NC tops are a nightmare to install.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can you get a two piece top for NC's? Having a zip down rear window is a nice feature, I love mine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have a zip-down rear window on my 97 soft-top but the zip seems to be stuck. So far I've been wiggling it back and forth gradually and it seems to be loosening up but only in a small section of the zipper each time. I'm paranoid I'm going to break it and I doubt silicone grease will help.

Can anyone actually explain the "rolled up t-shirt" or "pool noodle" thing to me? All of the forum discussions about lowering a two-piece top without unzipping the rear window reference it, but I can never figure out what you're actually supposed to do, and my plastic window is already creased from the PO.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Can anyone actually explain the "rolled up t-shirt" or "pool noodle" thing to me? All of the forum discussions about lowering a two-piece top without unzipping the rear window reference it, but I can never figure out what you're actually supposed to do, and my plastic window is already creased from the PO.

You have to fold the rear window, which can crack if it's folded too sharply. The shirt or noodle is to prevent that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

You have to fold the rear window, which can crack if it's folded too sharply. The shirt or noodle is to prevent that.

Oh, I can do that. Time for some topless motoring, just in time for spring thunderstorms. Thanks!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've never unzipped my rear window when putting the top down. Guessing the PO didn't either, as the window folds perfectly from so many years of doing that. It doesn't really crease, just gently folds in on itself at the same spot every time.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I've seen a bunch of them cracked right down that crease. Probably has to do with the cold temperatures around here when the plastic becomes brittle.

As for zippers, try rubbing some candle was on the teeth and running it back and forth a few times. Usually makes it run a lot smoother for me.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Finished the deal on a 2012 GT soft top today. ~8k miles, premium and suspension packages (really just wanted the LSD) with tan leather and the crystal white mica paint. Mostly bought it for a weekend car for the wife and I. Burned through half a tank going through the twisties up at Lime Creek Road to get a feel for the car. Not sure if I want to put in sways just yet. Definitely want the upgrade the horn since I've had to use it twice already to avoid being splattered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZJWSUOBuo

Forgive my poo poo picture taking and that the car is a little dirty. Link at the end to an album with a few more pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/bWSLF

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

Finished the deal on a 2012 GT soft top today. ~8k miles, premium and suspension packages (really just wanted the LSD) with tan leather and the crystal white mica paint. Mostly bought it for a weekend car for the wife and I. Burned through half a tank going through the twisties up at Lime Creek Road to get a feel for the car. Not sure if I want to put in sways just yet. Definitely want the upgrade the horn since I've had to use it twice already to avoid being splattered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZJWSUOBuo

Forgive my poo poo picture taking and that the car is a little dirty. Link at the end to an album with a few more pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/bWSLF

I replaced the horn in mine. I used the large red plastic horn kind, seen here as what not to do. It was a bit of a pain in the rear end to install, so the smaller one pictured there could be good. Make sure to replace the fuse with a larger one when/if you do replace the horn though. I blew the fuse on my first extended horn blast.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reminds me of an Eclipse.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

craig588 posted:

Reminds me of an Eclipse.

Is that the donor for transplant? Looks like it's still mostly there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Can you get a two piece top for NC's? Having a zip down rear window is a nice feature, I love mine.

I haven't seen anything. I'm really on the fence right now, I was browsing pictures of Miatas with the saddle leather interior and now the matched top is starting to grow on me. I really wish I could see it in person before I make a choice.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I just removed the intake manifold brace on my NA Miata to make getting at a stuck oil filter easier. I've seen mixed information on the internet, but most people seem to think that I can just keep the brace off indefinitely. I was wondering what yall's experience was with this.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Leave it off. I know a bunch of people who track their cars without it. Myself included.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Rhyno posted:

I haven't seen anything. I'm really on the fence right now, I was browsing pictures of Miatas with the saddle leather interior and now the matched top is starting to grow on me. I really wish I could see it in person before I make a choice.

If you're talking about the matched interior/top and not the zip window I can say from experience that it took a few weeks but the saddle brown top grew on me as well. That being said I was planning on replacing it with a black top because it's horrid to maintain the saddle brown color properly and on a really bright day it washes out to a lighter brown and not nearly as sexy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

If you're talking about the matched interior/top and not the zip window I can say from experience that it took a few weeks but the saddle brown top grew on me as well. That being said I was planning on replacing it with a black top because it's horrid to maintain the saddle brown color properly and on a really bright day it washes out to a lighter brown and not nearly as sexy.

I keep going back and forth on it, for $400+ I want to be sure of what I want.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The way I look at it is if you have a tan/saddle interior, you should have a tan/saddle top.

Black interior, black top. My '96 had a tan top with black interior and it looked stupid, I imagine a black top with a tan interior would look wrong also. Too many different colors, keep it simple.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Tan tops are ugly, black tops forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Black and Tan is one of the best Miata color combos ever. 95M is the best, followed closely by BRG.