Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

joepinetree posted:

The best they've ever done was when Guadalajara reached the finals in 2010.

Magrov posted:

Chivas reached the semis in 2005, 2006 and the finals in 2010, America reached the semis in 2000, 2002 and 2008, and it's not really unusual for a mexican side to reach the quarter finals (tijuana did it last year).

Edit: oh, and Cruz Azul lost to boca in the finals in 2001.

Thanks guys. Seems I underestimated them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Gigi Galli posted:

Thanks guys. Seems I underestimated them.

Yeah Mexican teams do well in this which is nice, anyway speaking of Mexican teams here is this week round of Liga MX.

Results

FT UNAM 2-1 Chiapas
FT Atlante 0-2 U.A.N.L
FT America 1-2 Cruz Azul
FT Monterrey 2-2 Santos
FT Pachuca 1-3 Guadalajara
FT León 1-1 Queretaro
FT Atlas 0-0 Puebla
FT Morelia 1-1 Veracruz
FT Tijuana 3-1 Toluca

Table

Fixtures

FRIDAY, APRIL 11, 2014
8:30 ET Queretaro v Atlas

SATURDAY, APRIL 12, 2014
6:00 ET Cruz Azul v Pachuca
6:00 ET Veracruz v UNAM
8:00 ET U.A.N.L v Tijuana
10:00 ET Chiapas v Monterrey

SUNDAY, APRIL 13, 2014
1:00 ET Puebla v America
1:00 ET Toluca v León Estadio
6:00 ET Guadalajara v Morelia
8:00 ET Santos v Atlante

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Just a heads up, in 15 minutes start the first match of the Libertadores round of 16.

Lanus (ARG) - Santos (Mex)

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Also most forgot but here's this week Liga MX post

Results

FT Puebla 0-1 America
FT Toluca 2-1 León
FT Guadalajara 1-1 Morelia
FT Santos 4-3 Atlante
FT Cruz Azul 2-2 Pachuca
FT Veracruz 1-1 UNAM
FT U.A.N.L 1-1 Tijuana
FT Chiapas 1-1 Monterrey
FT Queretaro 1-0 Atlas

Table

Fixtures

FRIDAY, APRIL 18, 2014
Going on right now.
12' Morelia 0-0 Cruz Azul

SATURDAY, APRIL 19, 2014
6:00 ET America v Queretaro
8:00 ET Monterrey v Veracruz
8:00 ET Pachuca v Puebla
8:00 ET Santos v Chiapas
9:06 ET León v U.A.N.L
10:00 ET Atlas v Toluca

SUNDAY, APRIL 20, 2014
1:00 ET UNAM v Guadalajara
6:00 ET Atlante v Tijuana

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Btw this match, Santos 4-3 Atlante, sealed Atlante fate so next season they'll play in segunda.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

joepinetree posted:

We have contradicting injunctions in place, making it likely that the only way to resolve the issue would be when it reaches the Brazilian supreme court, which would take a while, making it very likely that we will have some sort of change in the rules to accommodate the ongoing drama.

Quoting myself here to refresh people's memory. Remember the mess from last year? Portuguesa, the team that was relegated by extra field decisions, was supposed to play their first game in the 2nd division yesterday. Until a court representative showed up and blocked the game from continuing given the existing injunction. Things are about to become interesting again.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

Last week of the Clausura this weekend, playoffs starts soon and Cruz Azul will be in the Club World Cup for CONCACAF.

Results

FT UNAM 1-0 Guadalajara
FT Atlante 1-2 Tijuana
FT America 0-0 Queretaro
FT Monterrey 4-1 Veracruz
FT Pachuca 1-2 Puebla
FT Santos 2-3 Chiapas
FT León 3-0 U.A.N.L
FT Atlas 1-0 Toluca
FT Morelia 5-1 Cruz Azul

Table

Fixtures

FRIDAY, APRIL 25, 2014
8:30 ET Queretaro v Pachuca
10:30 ET Tijuana v León

SATURDAY, APRIL 26, 2014
6:00 ET Cruz Azul v UNAM
6:00 ET Veracruz v Santos
8:00 ET U.A.N.L v Atlas
10:00 ET Chiapas v Atlante

SUNDAY, APRIL 27, 2014
1:00 ET Puebla v Morelia
1:00 ET Toluca v America
6:00 ET Guadalajara v Monterrey

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Yahoo Sports stating that the US will host Copa América soon.
https://mx.deportes.yahoo.com/noticias/anunciar%E1n-copa-am%E9rica-eu-semana-005736464--sow.html

"Copa Centenario" to be announced tomorrow. It'll be a joint CONMEBOL-CONCACAF competition.

http://www.conmebol.com/es/content/conmebol-y-concacaf-daran-vida-la-copa-centenario

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

Tortilla Maker posted:

Yahoo Sports stating that the US will host Copa América soon.
https://mx.deportes.yahoo.com/noticias/anunciar%E1n-copa-am%E9rica-eu-semana-005736464--sow.html

"Copa Centenario" to be announced tomorrow. It'll be a joint CONMEBOL-CONCACAF competition.

http://www.conmebol.com/es/content/conmebol-y-concacaf-daran-vida-la-copa-centenario

Yeah it should be cool and hopefully there should be some games here in Chicago because I would love to go, anyway I kinda messed up. The first leg of the playoffs was already played on wednesday and yesterday, the results were

THURSDAY, MAY 1, 2014
FT Pachuca 1-1 UNAM
FT Tijuana 0-0 Toluca

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 30, 2014
FT America 5-3 Santos
FT León 1-1 Cruz Azul

This weekend is the 2nd leg

SATURDAY, MAY 3, 2014
10:00 ET Santos (3) v (5) America
8:00 ET Cruz Azul (1) v (1) León

SUNDAY, MAY 4, 2014
6:00 ET UNAM (1) v (1) Pachuca
1:00 ET Toluca (0) v (0)Tijuana

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Was glad to see Atletico Nacional win last night, watched it here with a Cruzeiros fan who was happy too! Here's hoping they can go all the way. I watched them when I was up in Medellin and it was a fine experience.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Defensor Sporting beat Atletico Nacional 2-0 at Medellin :stare:

This is shaping up to be the worst Libertadores semi final in history.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
A semi final with Defensor Sporting, Nacional (P), Bolivar and San Lorenzo, why don't just leave the title vacant and start again next year.
At least it will be the first final without Brazilians since 2004.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
This year the Libertadores has been remarkably poo poo.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

If San Lorenzo doesn't win this libertadores they'll never win it, and the Pope will kill himself.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
We can only hope...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If Cruzeiro gets by San Lorenzo, I think they will win it. They are in the "sweet spot" for a South American team, which is that of having a bunch of good but not great players, which means that they are unlikely to lose someone to Europe over the break. I doubt Defensor will be able to keep Arrascaeta after the break, for example, so them being the best team left right now can completely change.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This happened in the Nicaraguan cup semifinal when they acored the winning goal

http://www.marca.com/2014/05/06/futbol/futbol_internacional/resto_de_america/1399397346.html?cid=SMB

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

joepinetree posted:

If Cruzeiro gets by San Lorenzo, I think they will win it. They are in the "sweet spot" for a South American team, which is that of having a bunch of good but not great players, which means that they are unlikely to lose someone to Europe over the break. I doubt Defensor will be able to keep Arrascaeta after the break, for example, so them being the best team left right now can completely change.

De Arrascaeta is going to Turkey after the break, it seems. They might lose 5 more players including Gedoz so they are pretty much hosed if they make the semis.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

Once again I forgot to post the playoff results

Quarterfinal 2nd Leg

SATURDAY, MAY 3, 2014
FT Santos (advance on away goal) 3(6)-1(6)America
FT Cruz Azul 2(3)-2(3)León (advance on away goal)

SUNDAY, MAY 4, 2014
FT UNAM 2(3)-4(5) Pachuca
FT Toluca 3-1 Tijuana

Semifinal
WEDNESDAY, MAY 7, 2014
FT Pachuca 2-0 Santos

THURSDAY, MAY 8, 2014
FT León 1-0 Toluca

SATURDAY, MAY 10, 2014
FT Santos 4-2(4) Pachuca (advance on away goal)

SUNDAY, MAY 11, 2014
FT Toluca 0-1(2) León

Finals

Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Pachuca vs León
Saturday, May 17, 2014
León vs Pachuca

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
who's going to win this year's libertadores?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If they were able to keep everybody together, I'd say Defensor. But as they are not likely to, I'd say Cruzeiro or Bolivar.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
It woud be cool if Bolivar wins it.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Wait a Bolivian team? I thought they were supposed to suck rear end?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Bolivar isn't very good, but unlike most other Bolivian teams, they can sort of hold their own away from home. That, coupled with playing in the altitude makes them a very dangerous team in this competition format. They tied with Lanus in Argentina, 1x1, meaning they have a huge advantage playing at home.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

joepinetree posted:

Bolivar isn't very good, but unlike most other Bolivian teams, they can sort of hold their own away from home. That, coupled with playing in the altitude makes them a very dangerous team in this competition format. They tied with Lanus in Argentina, 1x1, meaning they have a huge advantage playing at home.

ah alright thanks

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

OMG, Cruzeiro are garbage.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Viggo Mortensen and the Pope sleep happy tonight.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

The Uruguayan Chelsea made it to the semis and this is officially the worst final four ever.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Polidoro posted:

The Uruguayan Chelsea made it to the semis and this is officially the worst final four ever.

Well, their name is Defensor you can't expect them to play differently.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
I wish there was some kind of football fairy which could make Defensor keep its squad after the world cup.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
Thank you, Paco.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

León won and are the double champs for the 2013-2014 Apertura and Clausura season. Liga MX will be back later this year but without Atlante since they got relegated but Club de Fútbol Leones Negros de la Universidad de Guadalajara aka Leones Negros will replace them for the next season.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
2 weeks until the semis. Is the Recopa Sudamericana worth watching? It's next week. Seems like Lanus and Atletico Mineiro would be a good matchup. Also I tried doing some research into how the qualifying works for the copa sudamericana and the libertadores work, and holy poo poo what a convoluted mess.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Volkerball posted:

2 weeks until the semis. Is the Recopa Sudamericana worth watching? It's next week. Seems like Lanus and Atletico Mineiro would be a good matchup. Also I tried doing some research into how the qualifying works for the copa sudamericana and the libertadores work, and holy poo poo what a convoluted mess.

At least in Brazil the Libertadores qualifying is straightforward, but the sudamericana is a mess. Teams knocked out in early rounds of the Brazil cup are invited to Sudamericana and etc.

As for Lanus and Atletico, Atletico is already in Buenos Aires training at AFA's facilities (since Argentina is training at the Atletico practice facilities). And I am hyped. Let me just say that the following happened the last time Lanus and Atletico reached a South American final:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgN4gQKSMLs

Leao still has a steel plate in his face from this fight, Ruggeri was suspended for so long for instigating it he retired. I was at second leg in Belo Horizonte and the fear of reprisals was so great that there were a ton of police there. I saw more police at mineirao that day than at at world cup match this year.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I definitely need to get into South America more after this World Cup. Hoping I can find some way to watch the recopa and the libertadores, just to see if Pope Francis' team manages to pull it off. Sadly I'm pretty sure my real team (Belgrano de Córdoba) will never make it into the libertadores, but maybe the sudamericana some day!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

joepinetree posted:

At least in Brazil the Libertadores qualifying is straightforward, but the sudamericana is a mess. Teams knocked out in early rounds of the Brazil cup are invited to Sudamericana and etc.

So lets say a team finishes 2nd in the Brasileiro, and gets eliminated before the round of 16 in the Copa do Brasil. Do they qualify for the libertadores and sudamericana? Also, if a team wins the sudamericana, they qualify for both the sudamericana and libertadores? Seems weird that the concept seems to be the libertadores being the big competition, and the sudamericana being for all the second best teams, but a team could hypothetically win both, assuming I'm getting this right. Recopa wouldn't be very interesting that year. :v: But the top 4 teams and the winner of the copa do brasil making the libertadores, as well as last years libertadores champions seems straightforward enough.

quote:

As for Lanus and Atletico, Atletico is already in Buenos Aires training at AFA's facilities (since Argentina is training at the Atletico practice facilities). And I am hyped. Let me just say that the following happened the last time Lanus and Atletico reached a South American final:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgN4gQKSMLs

Leao still has a steel plate in his face from this fight, Ruggeri was suspended for so long for instigating it he retired. I was at second leg in Belo Horizonte and the fear of reprisals was so great that there were a ton of police there. I saw more police at mineirao that day than at at world cup match this year.

Awesome. I was worried it was one of those gimmick champ vs champ matches and it was basically going to be a glorified friendly. I'll definitely watch it.

Badger of Basra posted:

I definitely need to get into South America more after this World Cup. Hoping I can find some way to watch the recopa and the libertadores, just to see if Pope Francis' team manages to pull it off. Sadly I'm pretty sure my real team (Belgrano de Córdoba) will never make it into the libertadores, but maybe the sudamericana some day!

rojadirecta has everything, and usually you can find a stream with solid quality. Also rooting for San Lorenzo. None of the teams left has ever made the final, which is pretty cool.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Volkerball posted:

So lets say a team finishes 2nd in the Brasileiro, and gets eliminated before the round of 16 in the Copa do Brasil. Do they qualify for the libertadores and sudamericana? Also, if a team wins the sudamericana, they qualify for both the sudamericana and libertadores? Seems weird that the concept seems to be the libertadores being the big competition, and the sudamericana being for all the second best teams, but a team could hypothetically win both, assuming I'm getting this right. Recopa wouldn't be very interesting that year. :v: But the top 4 teams and the winner of the copa do brasil making the libertadores, as well as last years libertadores champions seems straightforward enough.

No, because Libertadores teams only enter Copa do Brasil at the round of 16 stage. If a team wins the sudamericana, they qualify only for the libertadores. Can't play both the same year. The 8 Brazilian teams that make it are the winners of the northeast cup and 7 teams who were eliminated before the round of 16 in Copa do Brasil who finished the best the previous year. This way, Libertadores teams are automatically kept from sudamericana. So, for example, last year's sudamericana included both a team that was relegated in 2012 and a team that played the second division in 2012. It is entirely possible we will have a second division Brazilian team playing it again. All it takes is most teams ahead of them making it to the round of 16.

quote:

Awesome. I was worried it was one of those gimmick champ vs champ matches and it was basically going to be a glorified friendly. I'll definitely watch it.

It really depends on the match up. Last year it was Sao Paulo v Corinthians, so it also got a lot of attention.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Futbolparatodos.com.ar streams via youtube every game of Argentina's first division, some of second division and most of Copa Argentina. They even broadcast the World Cup but I think it was region locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
How soon after the World Cup will the Uruguayan and Argentinian leagues be on? I'm in very southern Brazil now and would love to watch some games but I'll be in Montevideo probably in a couple of weeks or so and then Argentina after that.