Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

I just looked it up, it's a pretty crazy situation, he played his freshman year, then said he was leaving after Lane Kiffin got fired, transferred to Kansas State, and then never played for them before entering the draft.

Plus there's this dummy who was his "trainer" after high school.

quote:

His workouts, recruiting and news media requests were handled by Brian Butler, who identifies himself as Brown's trainer and handler.[16][17] Butler sold updates of Brown's recruitment via website for $9.99 a month or $59 a year and sought contributions that he says were used to take players on a tour of colleges each summer.[16] At one point, Butler announced Brown was considering entering the Canadian Football League (CFL), but Brown backed down from that claim.[17] As a result of Butler's handling, the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s amateurism certification staff launched an investigation to determine whether anything had been done that would jeopardize Brown's amateur status.[18] The NCAA's investigation eventually cleared Brown to play before the start of his freshman season.[19]

What a fuckin buffoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

shiksa posted:

I just looked it up, it's a pretty crazy situation, he played his freshman year, then said he was leaving after Lane Kiffin got fired, transferred to Kansas State, and then never played for them before entering the draft.

Plus there's this dummy who was his "trainer" after high school.

What a fuckin buffoon.

I would even say huckster, but I'm not 87 years old so I won't.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Quest For Glory II posted:

The point is that signing a RB at age 29 or older is historically a bad idea.

How do you feel about the Sproles signing

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
As we already said over and over to McMagic when he was doing his "LOL MIAMI SO DUMB" they're still drafting a guy this year. It's pretty much the worst kept secret.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

As we already said over and over to McMagic when he was doing his "LOL MIAMI SO DUMB" they're still drafting a guy this year. It's pretty much the worst kept secret.

I apologize, I meant to say that miami is one of the most well run franchises in the NFL, have not displayed any incompetence or any notion of an out of control locker room, are terrific at drafting and developing players and have been a great team consistently for the last 20 years.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

John Brown posted:

Backup RBs from the top of my mind:

Bears-Michael Bush
Bengals-Lawfirm (he should've been anyway)
Bills-Spiller/Jackson
Broncos-Hillman
Browns-McGahee
Bucs-Mike James,Demps
Cards-Stephen-Towling, that one scatback from Clemson
Chargers-Ronnie Brown
Chiefs-McCluster/Knile Davis
Colts-T Rich
Cowboys-Dunbar
Dolphins-Daniel Thomas
Eagles-
Falcons-Snelling
49ers-LaMichael James
Giants-David Wilson
Jags-Robinson
Jets-Bilal Powell
Lions-Leshoure
Packers-Franklin
Panthers-Stewart/Tolbert
Patriots-Blount
Raiders-Goodson
Rams-Daryl Richardson
Ravens-Ray Rice
Saints-Mike "100yds against the Cowboys" Ingram
Seahawks-Christine Michael
Steelers-
Texans-
Titans-
Vikings-Geirhart

I can't believe I know all of this. Someone want to fill in the blanks?

Mike Goodson isn't on the Raiders

The Raiders starter is either MJD or McFadden(or Marcel Reece :allears:) followed by Kory Sheets(owns)/Taiwan Jones(possibly a CB)/Jamize Olawale

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sweeper posted:

How do you feel about the Sproles signing
Not a fan, especially now that I know the Eagles tried to trade for CJ Spiller first

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Snelling was cut from the Falcons if I remember correctly. They have Jacquizz Rodgers who is okay in a not as good as Warwick Dunn way, and Antone Smith who is very fast but they refuse to use him for anything other than as a really good gunner on special teams.

Edit- Snelling retired actually, wasn't cut.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
For what it's worth, the number two person on the Packers depth chart right now is James Starks. DuJuan Harris is the likely 3, Johnathan Franklin is at the bottom and is coming off a pretty serious concussion.

Also, welcome back Matt Flynn. :)

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
This is the only reason I know of Johnathan Franklin.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I apologize, I meant to say that miami is one of the most well run franchises in the NFL, have not displayed any incompetence or any notion of an out of control locker room, are terrific at drafting and developing players and have been a great team consistently for the last 20 years.

This has about as much factual basis as your other posts so I can't tell if you're trying to be sarcastic or not

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 15, 2014

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cervixalot posted:

Titans is Shonn Greene IIRC

He's the starter now.

Saints also have Khiry Robinson, noted all-preseason team member.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Ronnie Brown is gone, the Chargers' backups are Donald Brown and Danny Woodhead

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

The Raiders starter is either MJD or McFadden(or Marcel Reece :allears:) followed by Kory Sheets(owns)/Taiwan Jones(possibly a CB)/Jamize Olawale

How soon we forget Latavius Murray. Also :toxx: if Kory Sheets even makes it out of camp, I'll get an avatar of him for the first month of the regular season. I'm guessing MJD-McFadden-Murray, and then Reece are the only ones that get carried into the regular season. Of course, 3 of those guys could be on IR by week 3.

Also Joique Bell for the Lions. :smug:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

Claw Massage posted:

Snelling was cut from the Falcons if I remember correctly. They have Jacquizz Rodgers who is okay in a not as good as Warwick Dunn way, and Antone Smith who is very fast but they refuse to use him for anything other than as a really good gunner on special teams.

Edit- Snelling retired actually, wasn't cut.

superaielman posted:

For what it's worth, the number two person on the Packers depth chart right now is James Starks. DuJuan Harris is the likely 3, Johnathan Franklin is at the bottom and is coming off a pretty serious concussion.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Ronnie Brown is gone, the Chargers' backups are Donald Brown and Danny Woodhead

Volkerball posted:

Also Joique Bell for the Lions. :smug:

And here I am thinking I did pretty well :ughh:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You did better than I could probably, just kind of mixed in a couple names from a year or two ago.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Leshoure is 3rd string at best too for the Lions.

Doh, see someone got that (although I'd say Bell is the starter and Bush the backup now).

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Look at all you people who don't play fantasy football and can't name every single backup RB to hoard in the league.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Dubious posted:

Bryce Brown owns whenever Shady is out, what

Didn't he fumble a bunch and make EDP melt down?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Intruder posted:

Eagles could win out and EDP would still find something to melt down over

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zypher posted:

Look at all you people who don't play fantasy football and can't name every single backup RB to hoard in the league.

Gotta know your handcuffs. Ruxin taught me that.

I think the Steelers backup is Isaac Redman.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Dennis Johnson is the Texans current backup RB but I'll be shocked if that's true when the season starts

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PantsFreeZone posted:

True pros know the practice squad too

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The practice squad only becomes relevant if there's a meteor strike.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

PantsFreeZone posted:

I played Fantasy Football for the first time last season in a 10-team league. I only lost 1 game (the final loving week thanks to Gronk) and went on to win the championship.

I'd say I know my players pretty well based on last season's rosters.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Intruder posted:

He fumbled a bunch two seasons ago. This past season he didn't have any fumbles that I remember, but it seemed like he never gained Kelly's confidence. His carries decreased despite the Eagles running the ball more. He's signed through 2015, but who knows what Chip Kelly is thinking? I wouldn't be shocked if he was trade bait for a late round pick this year if anyone would be willing to give up one for him, especially with acquisition of Sproles and that the #3 guy, Chris Polk, plays special teams and got more snaps than Brown (even though Brown got more carries).

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 16, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

What he's thinking is that Bryce Brown spends too much time running laterally for a power-speed combo back which means he doesn't really utilize either trait. His YPC was spiked by the random wacky touchdown he scored at the end of the Bears game where he literally ran untouched up the middle of the field for 65 yards. Subtract that single carry and his YPC drops from 4.2 to 3.3. Some of his performances include 9 carries for 25 yards, 8 carries for 19 yards, 6 carries for 19 yards, 5 carries for 4 yards.

He'll have to work hard to keep his roster spot this year. He has no trade value. The market didn't even care about the existing free agent RBs, let alone a backup RB that is worse than most of them. Dude doesn't block either, or play special teams.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Quest For Glory II let me ask your opinion:

I find myself wishing that the Eagles hadn't cut Jason Avant, especially since they released DeSean Jackson. Can you ease my mind and tell me why I am wrong? I don't even know who the Eagles slot receiver is right now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jason Avant has reliable hands but he does not produce in Chip Kelly's offense which is designed to get one on one matchups on nearly every play, so I think his departure was inevitable. I thought his destination would be New England where they like receivers who play like Avant does, but I was wrong on that one.

I'm expecting the slot position to be platooned by a combination of Darren Sproles and a newly-drafted receiver. If they end up trading up to get Mike Evans, he might not start in the slot, but Riley Cooper could. There's also been speculation at BGN of Ertz taking snaps there. The thing is, it's nebulous because Kelly is constantly rotating players around. I wouldn't expect the Eagles' rookie receiver to hit 1,000 yards this year or anything. Even if it's a 1st round pick.

We don't even really know what Maclin's gonna look like yet. I don't know how it's all going to come together.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 16, 2014

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I honestly can't remember Buffalo's third-string running back. It's a very important position though, because one of Fred Jackson or C.J. Spiller must be injured at one time, so you have to actually carry the ball and pass-block and not be completely terrible at it.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

PantsFreeZone posted:

Redman got cut after like week 3 last year. Dwyer was the backup after that.

It's Blount this year, thank god

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Roasted Donut posted:

Redman got cut after like week 3 last year. Dwyer was the backup after that.

It's Blount this year, thank god

Which is weird, because the year before Dwyer owned. Dude just straight up fell off a cliff, mostly because he stuck to the Jared Lorenzen diet.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

swickles posted:

Which is weird, because the year before Dwyer owned. Dude just straight up fell off a cliff, mostly because he stuck to the Jared Lorenzen diet.

Dwyer was actually still pretty awesome last year and I'll miss him. They just really didn't give anyone else any carries after Bell got healthy and the run blocking was an utter disaster the first half of the year.

As cool as Dwyer is though, he can't compare to Blount

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I honestly can't remember Buffalo's third-string running back. It's a very important position though, because one of Fred Jackson or C.J. Spiller must be injured at one time, so you have to actually carry the ball and pass-block and not be completely terrible at it.

Wasn't he the Cowboys backup at one point? Tashard Choice?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

PantsFreeZone posted:

Wasn't he the Cowboys backup at one point? Tashard Choice?
We got rid of him mid-season. I think he's a free agent still.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Roasted Donut posted:

Dwyer was actually still pretty awesome last year and I'll miss him. They just really didn't give anyone else any carries after Bell got healthy and the run blocking was an utter disaster the first half of the year.

As cool as Dwyer is though, he can't compare to Blount

Blount can be amazing, but he's also a loving diva. If he's not in a right mind off the field, it's going to show in his game-day performances.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
blitz wheres my inhaler

quote:

"The Raiders brought in Austin Howard to play either right tackle or guard at $6 million a year. It's a very strong contract for Howard made stronger by what seems to be a clerical error by the Raiders which caused a large first year roster bonus to be treated as a signing bonus. I'd be almost certain the Raiders had no desire to do this as no contract they signed had prorated money beyond 2014 and the bonus language here was designed to avoid this bonus from prorating. Perhaps they can petition for a change but the current management council decision has the bonus prorated."

If this truly is the case, it would mean his $5 million bonus would leave $3.75 million in dead money should the team wish to cut him after this season, $2.5 million after two seasons, and $1.25 million after three.

So basically if they cut Howard any time over the next two years, he's going to make it nearly impossible to maintain the whole spend 95% of the cap every year from here on out thing, and he's going to make $6 mil a year each year he isn't cut to play guard. How does it feel to be INVINCIBLE?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

So basically if they cut Howard any time over the next two years, he's going to make it nearly impossible to maintain the whole spend 95% of the cap every year

I was with you on this originally but apparently there's really no punishment for not meeting the cap floor other than the team has to pay cash money to the rest of the players from what we can tell. So go ahead and lowball everyone in the world unless you fail to make money owning an NFL team I guess.

That mistake is absolutely hilariously Raiders though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Paying $6m per for a mediocre tackle to play guard seems like the much more egregious error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Volkerball posted:

blitz wheres my inhaler

So basically if they cut Howard any time over the next two years, he's going to make it nearly impossible to maintain the whole spend 95% of the cap every year from here on out thing, and he's going to make $6 mil a year each year he isn't cut to play guard. How does it feel to be INVINCIBLE?

• Locked thread