Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

e: I just looked at the KS again, where did someone get $145 as their cost for this thing?

It's the cost for getting a copy of everything in the KS, including the two KS-exclusive expansions and the add-on characters. The base game (and stretch goal stuff that isn't the expansions/add-ons) is $55 +$15 for shipping.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The expansion isn't exclusive, but one hero and magic item in the kickstarter version of the expansion is.

Which, yeah gently caress that. I'm not buying a *components missing version of anything.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's the cost for getting a copy of everything in the KS, including the two KS-exclusive expansions and the add-on characters. The base game (and stretch goal stuff that isn't the expansions/add-ons) is $55 shipped internationally.

Just saw that, but thanks.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

No yours is a ridiculous oversimplification. Mine was just a comment that if Catacombs is getting too unwieldy, why not try an fun game with a long established history? Have you ever played crokinole? It is very enjoyable and fairly challenging.

Honestly nearly $150 for a simple dexterity game is nuts, no matter how improved the artwork is.

e: I just looked at the KS again, where did someone get $145 as their cost for this thing?

e2: The expansion, got it.

It's not that Catacombs is getting "too unwieldy", it's the perception that the whole kickstarter exclusivity is getting out of hand and blatantly preying on completionists to increase pledges. What started as a fairly conservative and "safe" campaign has turned into an big ambitious monster with more exclusives than I can count.

All that aside, my point was that your comment implied that Crokinole fills the same niche as Catacombs, which is as plainly false as Eclipse filling the same niche as TI3.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's also some Stockholm syndrome backers in the comments thanking them for all the exclusives, which I can only assume are damaged people, shills, or ebay resellers.

E: Why is the blue dungeon tiles guy restructuring his pledge levels?

moths fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 16, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm really glad that I looked at Catacombs and the geomorphs Kickstarters, thought long and hard about both of them, and kept walking. This is getting uncomfortable just watching.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Randalor posted:

As for Euphoria's upgraded resources kit, they are VERY nicely done, and honestly, if he removed the "Euphoria" stamp from the gold bars, he would have a very nice "Generic resource upgrade kit" for many games. If it's a good price, I might buy a few just for my other games that use gold, stone or bricks. Hell, if he wanted to make a kickstarter that was the upgraded components but generalized, I would gladly back it.

Well I believe in May he plans to run a kickstarter just for generic tokens that can be used in various games. Some info about it can be found here

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
This was just posted to Facebook and I'm interested because I like the mech designs, but I'm trying to put some thought into this. None of the tiers are really looking like they'd give me enough to actual play with, outside of using the mini's within some other ruleset (and even then, Gruntz needs a lot of mini's).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

There's also some Stockholm syndrome backers in the comments thanking them for all the exclusives, which I can only assume are damaged people, shills, or ebay resellers.
Yeah, because getting extra stuff is a terrible thing, right? I don't get the hate over this - if you backed something and got a project off the ground, what's wrong with the developer throwing you a perk? These extras don't fundamentally change the game - you're not required to use the KS specials if you think your friends are petty enough to hate you for having something they can't get.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
I think the problem is that they're no longer getting the project off the ground. It's funded, it's been funded. These are stretch goals that amount to "give us your money right now or never get this item ever again!"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The counterpoint is to question why you need components kept from your friends to enjoy them.

I'm all for foil cards or pretty boxes as exclusives, but actual game content is kinda hosed.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Also the fact that the exclusive game content may be more powerful in the context of the game, which is getting into weird territory.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

moths posted:

The counterpoint is to question why you need components kept from your friends to enjoy them.

I'm all for foil cards or pretty boxes as exclusives, but actual game content is kinda hosed.

This exactly. As stated, the cost of everything is $145 CAD, which is a lot of money to ask for for a game that you may not even dig (considering dexterity games are pretty rare, most people won't even know if flicking disks will excite them). So instead of offering the extra content for more later down the line or with less (non-exclusive) promos or something, they will take that ball and people who couldn't/didn't want to pay $145 will have a lesser game. Whether that is a significantly lesser game is another issue, but the fact stands that you will only have, what, 75% of the game, forever. That is often enough to make people not want to buy it post-Kickstarter.

That being said I am horribly tempted to back just to sell it on ebay for egregious prices.

Edit: To clarify, I am 100% okay with cosmetic exclusives. Tokaido had exclusive minis, Boss Monster had an exclusive cover/foils, Cthulhu Wars has a few exclusive add on sculpts. But none of these affect gameplay, which the primary issue here.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 16, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
After backing out from Catacombs I decided to look into other projects that might be interesting, and ran into 2 games.

Among the Stars is a quick (or so they say) card-drafting game where each player plays a race in a galaxy that's currently at peace. The races are building spacestations all around the galaxy, and whichever race builds the most successful station wins. The game has already been printed once, but now they're trying to get a reprint with some higher quality components it sounds like. You can get the base game, the ambassadors expanion (which adds the titular ambassadors), and a pack of all the promos they've had before for $100, plus 20 shipping for outside the EU/US/Canada, or you can get the base game or the expansions separately. The game mechanics sound good, except that I'm not too sure I like that it ends in 4 rounds. But I guess they really want games to be short.

Minion sounds kind of like a Magic game, except that everybody shares the draw decks and discard pile. It has some interesting mechanics, and really wants you to know that each card in the 120-card base game is unique, and apparently that's their plan for future expansions as well. Gets minus points for having the words 'Epic' and 'Hilarious' in the project page title. I really like the art though, and it looks like something that might work well as an alternative for Munchkins if you're unlucky like me and your friends love that game since it relies on similar jokes. I also like the resource mechanics. Each turn you can play cards that cost up to a total of 3 gold (more or less depending on card effects). Another cool feature is the draw decks. You have 2, an open one, and a hidden one. With the open one you know what you're getting, but you also have the risk of revealing trap cards. You can get the base game for $30 (plus 10 if outside the US).

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Yeah, because getting extra stuff is a terrible thing, right? I don't get the hate over this - if you backed something and got a project off the ground, what's wrong with the developer throwing you a perk?

At least for me, I'll admit lots of my distaste is full-on irrational. Part of it is I just don't want a bigger game with more stuff, and yet I would never throw it away. I'd legitimately rather get less stuff.

The other thing is I like having everything. So while I'm getting more physical stuff than before, in some mental way I'm getting less stuff - because I previously was signed up to get 100% of the "full game" and now I'm getting 58%.

I'm sure there's some people that respond to that nagging completionist instinct by pledging $100 more, and I'm sure KS's make lots more money by doing this. But I'm not quite irrational enough to buy $100 more of a game I probably won't play that often.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Mehuyael posted:

After backing out from Catacombs I decided to look into other projects that might be interesting, and ran into 2 games.

Among the Stars is a quick (or so they say) card-drafting game where each player plays a race in a galaxy that's currently at peace. The races are building spacestations all around the galaxy, and whichever race builds the most successful station wins. The game has already been printed once, but now they're trying to get a reprint with some higher quality components it sounds like. You can get the base game, the ambassadors expanion (which adds the titular ambassadors), and a pack of all the promos they've had before for $100, plus 20 shipping for outside the EU/US/Canada, or you can get the base game or the expansions separately. The game mechanics sound good, except that I'm not too sure I like that it ends in 4 rounds. But I guess they really want games to be short.

FYI,

Stronghold Games is releasing this one at some point, so may want to hold off

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zandert33 posted:

FYI,

Stronghold Games is releasing this one at some point, so may want to hold off

Also for some reason they didn't load for me when I looked at the page at first, but the project has way too many add-ons for me. I don't even know how many tuckboxes I'd have to buy to keep everything organized. Oh well.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mehuyael posted:

AtS takes about as long as a game of 7 Wonders, really, maybe a little longer. The setup and cleanup are a little more involved, though, if you add the expansion locations. It's one of my favorites in my collection and I've posted a lot about it in this thread and the board gaming thread, if you want some more details on how it works.

I don't think any of the add-ons are really essential. I got sleeves, but that's about it. I was thinking about the tuck boxes, it just sounds like a hassle.

They also added an add-on based on a request I made (the promos rulebook), apparently. So take my opinion with a grain of salt, of you like.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 16, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

moths posted:

E: Why is the blue dungeon tiles guy restructuring his pledge levels?

There are so many add-ons now that it's getting unwieldy if you just want a "one of everything, please" pledge. The new pledge levels are supposed to cover that, but you can still just pledge for a basic set and do add-ons if you want.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

AtS takes about as long as a game of 7 Wonders, really, maybe a little longer. The setup and cleanup are a little more involved, though, if you add the expansion locations. It's one of my favorites in my collection and I've posted a lot about it in this thread and the board gaming thread, if you want some more details on how it works.

I don't think any of the add-ons are really essential. I got sleeves, but that's about it. I was thinking about the tuck boxes, it just sounds like a hassle.

They also added an add-on based on a request I made (the promos rulebook), apparently. So take my opinion with a grain of salt, of you like.

I dunno, if they're putting up these tuckboxes for sale then I'm a bit doubtful of how organized the game boxes will be. I'm still interested in the game, but I think I'll wait for a printing where I can see the insides of a box first.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mehuyael posted:

I dunno, if they're putting up these tuckboxes for sale then I'm a bit doubtful of how organized the game boxes will be. I'm still interested in the game, but I think I'll wait for a printing where I can see the insides of a box first.

If it's anything like the existing stuff, then there's no internal box organization. I found it kind of a pain in the rear end. The initial game had a LOT of empty space in the box, the expansions helped that quite a bit. I can post some pictures of my setup, if anyone wants.

I ended up with some 4x6" bags and sorted the cards by type. One bag for each color, one for the setup stuff, and two for the special locations. Those bags are fantastic for board games, though, I use them for everything and they do a good job. I ended up with a set of the Minion games CAP coins for my copy, though. The ones Artpia's doing are new.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
Just a few hours left in the super dungeon explore kickstarter, it looks like there's a lot of extras included in the 100 dollar pledge. Anyone else backing it?

Huntsekker fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 17, 2014

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

SquadronROE posted:

This was just posted to Facebook and I'm interested because I like the mech designs, but I'm trying to put some thought into this. None of the tiers are really looking like they'd give me enough to actual play with, outside of using the mini's within some other ruleset (and even then, Gruntz needs a lot of mini's).

The Mecha Front game is moderately popular at my gaming club - it's designed to play like a non-grid Battletech, with perhaps 2-3 mechs a side or so I understand from watching.

It's a fairly crunchy system for small battles on a small board rather than a big "buy an army of robots" kind of game.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's the cost for getting a copy of everything in the KS, including the two KS-exclusive expansions and the add-on characters. The base game (and stretch goal stuff that isn't the expansions/add-ons) is $55 shipped internationally.

Nope, it's $55 (Canadian) +$15-25 for shipping.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

Don't know about this Kickstarter or anything, but I've bought some resin gun bits from the guy before and they were nice.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Huntsekker posted:

Just a few hours left in the super dungeon explore kickstarter, it looks like there's a lot of extras included in the 100 dollar pledge. Anyone else backing it?

I'm still not completely convinced that the new co-op rules will fix the issues I've had with the base game.

On the other hand, if you do like the base game already, then holy crap are you getting a nice deal here.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."

InShaneee posted:

I'm still not completely convinced that the new co-op rules will fix the issues I've had with the base game.

On the other hand, if you do like the base game already, then holy crap are you getting a nice deal here.

What issues did you have with the base game?

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

SquadronROE posted:

The cool quad mechs are locked, what the gently caress.

Also ya, looks like you only can really pledge for one 'army' without doing a bunch of addons.

The REAL Gtab Fan fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 17, 2014

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Huntsekker posted:

What issues did you have with the base game?

It's pretty boring to be the Overlord, and the timer system felt tacked on. Both are things that are supposedly fixed in the expansion, though, so I'll still be considering the retail release once I see more about it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I already ripped on this elsewhere, but: Arkham Fate Accelerated Companion for Lovecraft and Cthulhu

I almost backed this, because "FAE Cthulhu" is right up my alley. The more research I do the more I want to just back away, though:

First, the plan is to release it as PWYW. Second, the backer rewards are terrible. $5 gets you a copy of the PDF, $10 gets you a copy of the PDF and "a thank you in the back of the book", $35 gets you that plus a paperback copy. $60 and $100 get you... the same thing, but the thank-you is bigger. Wow!

Second, this is the entire Risks and Challenges section:

quote:

I've run other kickstarts in the past, some successful, some not. But each time we've hit our deadlines and even delivered.

"I don't care enough to put anything meaningful in this section." Also, the only other Kickstarters in this guy's history are two failed attempts at a dungeon crawl game, one which got cancelled after he decided a $50,000 goal was "overambitious" and a reboot which set the goal to $2000 and only made half that.

How much of this book is ready? Well, the KS claims "We already have outlines and write ups for most of the companion", while the first update says "We've already outlined the whole book and are working on bringing the depth and details for GMs and PCs to life. We will be posting snips of the book as they are completed so make sure to back this project to keep updated!" So basically, it's not written, but they'd really like you to think they've got this. (The only comments on the KS page so far are some guy pointing out some typos on the page and the creator trying to recruit him as an editor).

I did some more digging and found a G+ group for this game. Aside from a post looking for "contributors" and some really generic Fate stunts that look like someone was copying another Cthulhu game's skill list ("+2 to rolls involving Biology", "+2 when attempting to Assess Honesty", "+2 to rolls involving Evidence Collection"), I discovered that while the KS claims the game will have "Rules for sanity", the creator has this to say about sanity rules:

quote:

I don't think you really need special mechanics. Just use the current stress track and then make the consequences something like, "Horrible visions cause a lack of concentration, -2 on Careful" or something similar.

I'd love to back a Fate Cthulhu game, so can someone please tell me if there's a reason not to assume this guy has no game and no plan besides the Fate SRD and "I sure would like five thousand dollars"?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I keep telling you that you should get on the Kickstarter gravy train and put NyarlathoTech out as a for-real FATE game. I mean look at it this way, that's your competition right there.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ettin posted:

I'd love to back a Fate Cthulhu game

You missed the Kickstarter, but Achtung! Cthulhu is about to release a Fate Core version of their corebook. I haven't played the game, so I don't know if it's any good or not, but they will probably give you a product if you give them money, so they've got that other campaign beaten hands down already.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Ettin posted:

(The only comments on the KS page so far are some guy pointing out some typos on the page and the creator trying to recruit him as an editor).

I'm not sure if he just blew a SAN roll or I did. This reeks of Idea Guy.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Mehuyael posted:

Minion sounds kind of like a Magic game, except that everybody shares the draw decks and discard pile. It has some interesting mechanics, and really wants you to know that each card in the 120-card base game is unique, and apparently that's their plan for future expansions as well. Gets minus points for having the words 'Epic' and 'Hilarious' in the project page title. I really like the art though, and it looks like something that might work well as an alternative for Munchkins if you're unlucky like me and your friends love that game since it relies on similar jokes. I also like the resource mechanics. Each turn you can play cards that cost up to a total of 3 gold (more or less depending on card effects). Another cool feature is the draw decks. You have 2, an open one, and a hidden one. With the open one you know what you're getting, but you also have the risk of revealing trap cards. You can get the base game for $30 (plus 10 if outside the US).

Nice, just backed this. Sounds like a fun game I can play with the kids.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Kai Tave posted:

I keep telling you that you should get on the Kickstarter gravy train and put NyarlathoTech out as a for-real FATE game. I mean look at it this way, that's your competition right there.

I'll take a hardcover.

plaz
Jul 25, 2006
MERCS: Recon is down to the last 24 hours now, with a bunch of extra minis unlocked from stretch goals (for backers at the $120 pledge level and higher)

The $200 pledge gets you both boxes from Recon; the tabletop game rulebook and the MERCS: Conflict dice game, which they recently put up a couple of gameplay videos for.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Nice, just backed this. Sounds like a fun game I can play with the kids.

I had a chance to play Minion at PAX this year, the creators were running demos and seemed to be consistently busy which was good. The game play is very similar to Magic only with a contained deck and a definite tongue in cheek attitude. I'm backing it and thought it was a lot of fun. If anyone's on the fence and has questions let me know, and I'll answer as best I can.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

plaz posted:

The $200 pledge gets you both boxes from Recon; the tabletop game rulebook and the MERCS: Conflict dice game, which they recently put up a couple of gameplay videos for.

How is this a good deal? From what I see, you can get the rulebook for $25-$35. That dice game shouldn't retail for $45...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

berzerkmonkey posted:

How is this a good deal? From what I see, you can get the rulebook for $25-$35. That dice game shouldn't retail for $45...

Yeah I backed out in favor of just waiting for the plastics to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

berzerkmonkey posted:

You also get a promo fig and a novel at that level. So it's 80 bucks for the rulebook, dice game, novel and judge mini. Obviously if you don't care about all of that there's no reason to.

• Locked thread