Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
The Valkhorn cycle is complete.

One question though, valkhorn. Say that you build up a good sized audience for your youtube channel. What then? What's the point? Where does that get you? Is it just a money thing, like you want to eventually be a youtube partner?

gatz fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ritcheyz posted:

A while ago I remember a whole bunch of LP channels all played the Dead Space 3 demo on the same day, complete with reading the same bullet points from the back of the box.

I despise most of GameGrumps content but I have to admit that their blatant sarcasm at everything they had to do was really entertaining when that happened. They were clearly taking the piss out of EA's "instructions".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr0KUculTZA

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Well done, Valkhorn, you just couldn't let it go without making sure we were all correct in our suspicions that you weren't bothering with SA anymore.

General Ironicus posted:

On Sunday the 27th Chip, me, Voidburger, Geop, and Kamoc will be holding a panel on LP at the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo, details here. I'd be really excited to see whoever can make it, but we know that's not practical for most people. Kamoc will be filming the whole thing and doing interviews. If you can't make it but want to participate you can submit a question. We'll be drawing questions from a hat during the Q&A, time permitting. Ask them here or on twitter or wherever else we'll see them. We've already got these so far.

I did a joke one on Twitter, so lemme see if I can muster up something half-serious.

If some random on the street were to, for some reason, ask you "What is Let's Play?" out of nowhere, what kind of answer would you give them? Would you do the thing that a lot of LPers do and talk it down preemptively, to try and downplay the person thinking that it's silly and you waste your time with it, or would you give them a straight answer, admit that it's a hobby you enjoy, and let them form their own opinion of it?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

HGH posted:

I despise most of GameGrumps content but I have to admit that their blatant sarcasm at everything they had to do was really entertaining when that happened. They were clearly taking the piss out of EA's "instructions".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr0KUculTZA

If they didn't like the conditions I don't understand why they bothered doing it. I get that they live off YouTube, but do you really need the $0.10 per view extra to do something you don't like?

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Oh I see how it is valk! Soon as you make those sweet e-bucks you up and leave! Ingrate! Fine go ahead and abandon us for your droves of adoring fa-

Uhh...

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

valkhorn posted:

But it's doing me a service and is giving me new traffic and new subscribers and genuine growth so I'm not going to turn it off. They do make adblockers for youtube. They are effective. Sorry if you find the channel trailer annoying but the returns are good and I'm not spending a dime for fanfinder so why would I complain? Plus it takes so long for fanfinder to update to another channel trailer, if ever, so that is something that is mostly beyond my control.

The thing I'm most curious about is what kind of engagement are you getting from these new subs? Are they actual human beings who are interacting with you? Or do they just press subscribe, play the content, and click "Like/Dislike". More often than not, I feel like most of the services out there just feed you to either a bot ring or a third world click farm to boost numbers.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

YouTube now displays its numbers in base 50, don't worry.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Pity, he leaves right when the 2007 thread is taking off, which is basically "LP whatever you want and nobody will care" thread.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
Man. I almost have as many subscribers as that, and I don't even have any advertisements. Nor did I really complete my YouTube channel page. It looks pretty ugly.

Anyway, I'm sure they took that EA deal out of greed. A few extra bucks out of a 20-30 minute video of a game they'll never play again? Sounds like easy money.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

RSCNyx posted:

It kinda started to fall apart when Sonic 06 came along, for me. I didn't last through that LP. I haven't watched them since the other guy came in to replace JonTron.
Yeah, sounds about right to me. Their playthrough of the Sonic portion was pretty good, although it had its low points (like in Kingdom Valley, where they deliberately ignore a hint icon, several times in a row, that tells them how to play as Silver, who they've never played as at this point, and then whining that they have no idea how to play as Silver). However, by the Shadow portion you can really tell they just don't give a poo poo anymore - talking about literally anything else, even when interesting things happen on the screen (like Shadow roundhouse kicking Silver in the back of the head - they even start a video just before it happens after an earlier video had already shown it, and in both cases they're talking about totally random things unrelated to the game).

It was about this point that I just gave up on it - it seemed more like this LP was about watching them talk about random crap and not the game, and I was only ever interested watching them suffer through the horrible game that is Sonic 2K6. If they're not going to deliver that, why should I keep watching?

Jon left the show not too long thereafter, and I've never bothered to see if his replacement was any good.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Why would anyone watch a Sonic 2006 LP that isn't pokecapn's LP of it anyway?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

TaurusOxford posted:

Yeah, seriously, what are the Game Grumps bringing to the table?

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

EricFate posted:

The thing I'm most curious about is what kind of engagement are you getting from these new subs? Are they actual human beings who are interacting with you? Or do they just press subscribe, play the content, and click "Like/Dislike". More often than not, I feel like most of the services out there just feed you to either a bot ring or a third world click farm to boost numbers.

Fanfinder is a Google-run service sort of like paying for an Adsense ad, except that they give you clicks for free. Your channel has to be a certain size to use it, and obviously it's rather infrequent since it's free - I'd imagine they just sometimes run it as filler if they don't have a paid ad available to show.

I've never tried it so I can't give any exact stats on how well it works or how infrequent it is - I've just heard things from people that use it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

I hear this all the time and while yes, it is kinda entertaining just because of how bad the game is, the LP itself is... well, annoying and grating at times. Despite knowing the context behind it and them doing it all in one go. Maybe I'm just averse to all the yelling. I mean, I still watched it all the way through and enjoyed it, but at times it got really grating.
When someone LPs an incredibly bad game, I think it works best with dry wit or the patented "person who is experienced and knowledgeable about the game with person/people who aren't" formula, because the latter's reaction is always pretty great.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TaurusOxford posted:

Because it hasn't aged that well.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

HGH posted:

When someone LPs an incredibly bad game, I think it works best with dry wit or the patented "person who is experienced and knowledgeable about the game with person/people who aren't" formula, because the latter's reaction is always pretty great.
So is the Game Grumps LP version of Sonic 2006 either of these things?

Also while I too initially enjoyed Poke's Sonic 2006 LP and the annoying poo poo they had to go through, years later though I just think about how nowadays it just covers such low hanging fruit that I just don't find it as funny. A similar thing happened with the Daikatana LP with Proteus and Suspicious; it seems like such an easy route to point out that the game is bad that at this point I'd like to see a less critical look at the games and just see someone do an LP of it using some other jokes than what's been retread before.

Also, when did this Patreon thing start to become a way for people to get money? Like I've seen a few LP'ers doing it and I can't really seem to wrap my brain around it, outside of it's a direct means to shill for money rather than just going off the viewer count or whatever metric that being in a youtube partnership pays out.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm not very fond of this attitude. You may really love something, but I don't think that's ever a good reason to stifle creativity. Just because something is the best of its kind that you can imagine, it doesn't mean there's no merit to any others, nor that it's impossible to improve upon the idea.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

I'd already watched pokecapn's by that point, and wanted to watch more people suffer.

That's my reasoning, anyway.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Niggurath posted:

Oh hell no. I don't think you could find much wit, humor or skill in that other than what the game itself provides. I was just citing personal preferences.

HGH fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 18, 2014

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
The only Pokecapn LP I liked was the Four Swords one, all the rest of them just did not age well.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

EricFate posted:

Look at that dude's response and tell me he engages with anyone human.

Nidoking posted:

I'm not very fond of this attitude. You may really love something, but I don't think that's ever a good reason to stifle creativity. Just because something is the best of its kind that you can imagine, it doesn't mean there's no merit to any others, nor that it's impossible to improve upon the idea.

I don't think he was serious; he was just complimenting pokecapn's LP of it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HGH posted:

I hear this all the time and while yes, it is kinda entertaining just because of how bad the game is, the LP itself is... well, annoying and grating at times. Despite knowing the context behind it and them doing it all in one go. Maybe I'm just averse to all the yelling. I mean, I still watched it all the way through and enjoyed it, but at times it got really grating.

Fair enough. I've personally always had a soft spot for that LP so i've never found it as grating as you describe.

Nidoking posted:

I didn't mean to imply that I think creativity should be stifled. I just haven't seen another LP of Sonic 2K6 that hit all the right notes for me like pokecapn's LP did. I'd loved to be proven wrong though if anyone has a personal preference.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Niggurath posted:

Also while I too initially enjoyed Poke's Sonic 2006 LP and the annoying poo poo they had to go through, years later though I just think about how nowadays it just covers such low hanging fruit that I just don't find it as funny. A similar thing happened with the Daikatana LP with Proteus and Suspicious; it seems like such an easy route to point out that the game is bad that at this point I'd like to see a less critical look at the games and just see someone do an LP of it using some other jokes than what's been retread before.

Also, when did this Patreon thing start to become a way for people to get money? Like I've seen a few LP'ers doing it and I can't really seem to wrap my brain around it, outside of it's a direct means to shill for money rather than just going off the viewer count or whatever metric that being in a youtube partnership pays out.

An measured LP with an informative discussion of where the game went wrong and what it does right would be pretty interesting.

Or just funny guys suffering through it with better video quality than the old one. That would be cool too.

Nksor
Feb 1, 2013

EricFate posted:

I think this actually brings up something interesting, which is how Youtube in general is formatted as far as responses go. Even videos with 100k views will usually only get a couple thousand comments, meaning that the sample size of the entire audience is maybe 1/50 at best, and (usually) the only people responding are the ones who'll eat everything up or the ones who are really critical. Or and stupid. A lot of people I follow on Youtube are subscribed to the Twitter account "Don't Read Comments," or actively display their dislike for their comments section.

Of course, there's people like myself who tend to try and leave constructive criticism on videos, but I tend to be drowned out one way or another.

The only other way to really respond is to like/dislike a video, but we all know how effective that can be.

I guess what I'm getting at is, how would somebody be able to find ways to improve themselves and cater to their audience if the only way their audience can communicate is through short messages that'll inevitably be drowned out by comments quoting something in the video or someone saying "I'm on that side of Youtube again!," or through trying to display their opinions on a like/dislike system so thoroughly abused by every Youtuber on the planet?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Nksor posted:

The only other way to really respond is to like/dislike a video, but we all know how effective that can be.

Really, you measure it based on click through. If they watched your video -- did they also decide to follow you on Twitter? What if instead of putting up a video, you host a stream. Do they also show up there? If you link to other videos that you like, do they view those? If you put up a donation link or a product for sale, do they buy one? If not, do they at least go to the store and browse?

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

TaurusOxford posted:

I've watched I think three different LPs of Sonic 06, and one LP of an LP of Sonic 06, and they're pretty much always great just because of what a trainwreck the game is.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

From way back on page 4:

ok Amazing posted:

I'd like to recommend this ongoing Zelda: Ocarina of Time playthrough by SwordlessLink. SwordlessLink is a speedrunner (which is how I found him) who just got into doing Let's Plays, and is using them as a way to show off glitches in the game he uses for speedruns and such. So it's more like a Let's Break. His other Let's Plays show learning pains though, and are a bit of a chore to watch, but he's really hit his stride with this one. Since it's like a Let's Break, this isn't for people who don't know OOT, but for those who know OOT it's a blast.

SwordlessLink finally finished his OoT playthrough recently and started a new one, this time breaking Banjo-Tooie. He says it's not quite as broken as OoT or DK64, but I can't wait to see more.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's going to only get more broken from here. Hang on tight.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
cross posting from putty's lp thread because i thought that some here might find this funny

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Niggurath posted:

I've started seeing it in the past few months. I don't think it's that hard to understand, though: It's just a monthly donation button with more concretely defined goals, i.e. if I can get this much money, I can do less hours at work and thus make more videos.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

I've made the mistake of watching Valkhorn LP Super Metroid, and I was wondering, what makes a good informative LP?

Being informative over funny is risky, because you run the risk of boring your audience. After all, the most popular LPers on YouTube basically say, "gently caress information, they just wanna see me pretend to get scared and say rude things a bunch. If they wanted information, they'd watch CNN or some casual nerd news stuff." I'm proud of my stereotypical YouTube strawman.

That aside, what makes an informative LP work?

PS: I CAN'T GET OVER THIS ENDING.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

RSCNyx posted:

I've made the mistake of watching Valkhorn LP Super Metroid, and I was wondering, what makes a good informative LP?

Being informative over funny is risky, because you run the risk of boring your audience. After all, the most popular LPers on YouTube basically say, "gently caress information, they just wanna see me pretend to get scared and say rude things a bunch. If they wanted information, they'd watch CNN or some casual nerd news stuff." I'm proud of my stereotypical YouTube strawman.

Gotta have a vast array of knowledge to back up what you know in order to make an informative LP work. In that kind of LP, your entertainment is derived from expertise and sheer wisdom from a game aside from being humorous or charismatic. Naturally this deters some people but there are always LP styles that people will watch and not watch.

For good examples, 2BFP and their RE2 LP is incredible because of the vast amount of stuff Pat knows about the game. I used to like NanoSuitNinja when he did Anno 2070 because he would go into great detail about how to design an industrial area's logistics and how to maximize civilian profit with each content update. In terms of more local flavors, Psychedelic Eyeball managed to get me to buy and stream System Shock 2 because of how well he presented the game's info at times. Kaz/Kiwi/Medibot in Odin Sphere was also pretty well informed, though the commentary during fight segments was a bit dry.

Another thing you can do to clear up LP misconceptions is label it as a walk-through primarily rather than a LP. I did that with my La-Mulana playthrough and it's gotten vast amounts of positive feedback.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

RSCNyx posted:

I think a big problem is that he's doing games that everyone has seen before, and doing them all by himself. In my opinion, informative style LPs work best for games people probably haven't been exposed to, stuff you don't often see. That way, it kind of frees you up to talk about the game mechanics and stuff while the game is just showing itself off. Having a second person on an update with you really helps, too, because I feel like then it's more like you're showing the update to them, and getting some input from someone who maybe hasn't played it.

Mostly, I think the game is the most important factor as far as if informative-style will work. Metroid...doesn't really lend itself to informative LP.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

heytallman posted:

Mostly, I think the game is the most important factor as far as if informative-style will work. Metroid...doesn't really lend itself to informative LP.

5/5 would watch again.

Anyway, I think you can have an informative Metroid LP, but you'd have to show off sequence breaks and the like and have other stuff to talk about during backtracking parts and the like.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

muike posted:

Beagle generally puts a lot of work into the videos he releases, and his Dead Space 3 playthrough was pretty good, he had good chemistry with his co-op partner. I like his ARMA videos too, but those aren't really accessible to normal people. I'm just waiting for him to get back to work on the XCOM videos.

From way back on page 4, but it looks like Beagle is finally starting on another series of XCOM videos. This time using the Long War mod for Enemy Within.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUeHJ2RU1e0

I agree that some of the ARMA stuff he makes can be a bit inaccessible. But a lot of it's hilarious regardless of whether you know anything about the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4PnJf35vso

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think with an informative LP that I would want to watch, the person would have to be good at the game, have fun playing it, and like the game in general. I think without those three you can't have a good informative LP. There are probably a few exceptions though.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

heytallman posted:

That video was awesome. Completely forgot about it, haha.

bobjr posted:

I think with an informative LP that I would want to watch, the person would have to be good at the game, have fun playing it, and like the game in general. I think without those three you can't have a good informative LP. There are probably a few exceptions though.

I agree for the first two, the last one could be optional, though. You may be LPing a game you despise, but happen to have a ton of knowledge about it, for whatever reason. Having someone else in there who hasn't seen the game before could make for an interesting experience!

I think the best informative LP I've ever seen was the Jurassic Park: Trespasser LP, by ResearchIndicates. He doesn't have to make jokes, because he lets the game do it for him. It's hard for me think of any real way to criticize that LP.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

RSCNyx posted:

I agree for the first two, the last one could be optional, though. You may be LPing a game you despise, but happen to have a ton of knowledge about it, for whatever reason. Having someone else in there who hasn't seen the game before could make for an interesting experience!

That's true, I guess I was thinking more letting someone's dislike for the game getting in the way of the LP, and the whole "fake internet anger", because that would bring it down, instead of just being "I didn't like this game but I played it a ton as a child, but I'm not going to spend the entire LP complaining about it."

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
I hope that the Dark Souls SL1 thread has been coming across as part humor/part informative. I try to really dig deep and show stuff off that I think most people won't know about, so hopefully that's been evident in the videos. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

ritcheyz posted:

I hope that the Dark Souls SL1 thread has been coming across as part humor/part informative. I try to really dig deep and show stuff off that I think most people won't know about, so hopefully that's been evident in the videos. :ohdear:

Dude, I've played so much Dark Souls, and I never knew you could use Force to push those balls around. That's the coolest thing I've ever seen.

That's the weird thing about Dark Souls. Even after you play it for ages, you still find new things about it. Informative LPs of DS are nothing short of interesting.

• Locked thread