Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Cyberventurer posted:

Mine was acting up badly too. Do you have a tiny switch on the back of your controller that you can flip? When I did that, then unplugged and plugged the cord back in, the controller inputs (mostly) went back to how they work in Dark Souls 1.

There is a switch for toggling d-pad/analog sticks on off for some reason, but no, it just doesn't do a drat thing at all.

This also happened with Metal Gear Rising, so I'm just assuming that the controller isn't compatible with these games, which is strange since it's just a fairly simple input device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Wow, the heartbeat noise is really prominent in The Gutter/Black Gulch when you have good headphones on. On the PS3 I just played through my monitor's crappy speakers.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Something to keep in mind people getting frustrated is this game is way less linear than DS1. It's not even sequence breaking like could happen with the Master Key in DS1 its just pretty open. I didn't realize that I kinda picked a stupid path my first time through unlocking useful resources like the second blacksmith pretty much as late as you possibly can.

There is also plenty of optional content you can get stuck on that would be easier if you moved on and came back with better equipment. Upgrading your weapon is king.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

bef posted:

I had no idea the forest existed and thought tower was my only option :negative:

I got lost too, but I just kind of dicked around in Majula until I realized there was a door over there.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Alright, good stopping point for tonight. Got down Last Giant and Pursuer. Last Giant felt very Taurus Demon in difficulty. If only frustrating because I had to widdle him down with a dagger. Pursuer on the other hand was a good step up. I was getting my poo poo wrecked because I'm over reliant on those DS1 invincibility frames in the dodge-roll. Finally got him though, had to switch to using a mace.

Now, I've got enough stats to power-stance Caestus, and I'm really liking the quick double jab. So, how close am I to finding a white soapstone of any kind? I'd like to co-op Pursuer for more practice with my new fist weapons.

There's a dude who is chickening out in front of a gate right after the crossbow ambush room (you know the one) and he'll give you a soapstone after you escape. There's also this smaller soapstone that I have no idea how it works that I got afterwards from somewhere.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sober posted:

Gotta level up a bit more, decided to roll as Depraved so all I really have is a dagger I found in the tutorial area and the robes I started out with and a shield that I found. Having 6 in all stats makes it tough to really use ... well anything right away.

Get familiar with the clubs - they have low dex requirements and need to be 2handed, but the damage is worth it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

nftyw posted:

There's a dude who is chickening out in front of a gate right after the crossbow ambush room (you know the one) and he'll give you a soapstone after you escape. There's also this smaller soapstone that I have no idea how it works that I got afterwards from somewhere.

Oh that dude! I must not have talked to him enough. Arg, that's a dumb mistake. Thanks.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Oh that dude! I must not have talked to him enough. Arg, that's a dumb mistake. Thanks.

Yeah you have to come back and talk to him again after you get back out of the gated area.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well to be more positive, I just beat what I assume is the first boss you're supposed to fight. I loved the design of that thing. Pretty freaky when it tore off its own arm to try and beat me to death with it.

Only took one try but that's probably because I had a bunch of "practice" against the stone soldiers in that area you're not supppsed to go too first.

nftyw posted:

...seriously? :negative: I murdered that guy because he was giving me a Patches vibe and I wasn't in the mood to fall for an annoying trap.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Internet Kraken posted:

Well to be more positive, I just beat what I assume is the first boss you're supposed to fight. I loved the design of that thing. Pretty freaky when it tore off its own arm to try and beat me to death with it.

Only took one try but that's probably because I had a bunch of "practice" against the stone soldiers in that area you're not supppsed to go too first.

...seriously? :negative: I murdered that guy because he was giving me a Patches vibe and I wasn't in the mood to fall for an annoying trap.

You are the biggest idiot. Come back later and summon his ghost for the soapstone.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The pursuer loving sucks

e: no seriously he loving sucks

e2: haha I get him to like 1/3rd health with a summon and my last effigy and he one shots me with his dark fart balls bullshit attack

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 25, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

You can also get another different white soapstone at this stage of the game. There is a locked door above the Cardinal Tower bonfire in the Forest. You got the key to that from the Last Giant, or alternatively, you can just smash it open. There's a second soapstone there.

Internet Kraken posted:

Please keep killing NPCs as you progress. These kind of posts are funny.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 25, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh god, he has a whole storyline and gives you stuff through most of the game. I mean it's not vital and maybe his ghost can do it once you resurrect him?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kimmalah posted:

Oh god, he has a whole storyline and gives you stuff through most of the game. I mean it's not vital and maybe his ghost can do it once you resurrect him?

Hahaha, I had a feeling that might of been the case when I killed him, but eh that's what second playthroughs are for. At least the ring I got from him actually ended up killing the first boss. Pretty funny to get stepped on and then have the boss just fall over :v:

Also he had a cool spear I wanted to use. Didn't think the stats would be so high for it though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Hahaha, I had a feeling that might of been the case when I killed him, but eh that's what second playthroughs are for. At least the ring I got from him actually ended up killing the first boss. Pretty funny to get stepped on and then have the boss just fall over :v:

Also he had a cool spear I wanted to use. Didn't think the stats would be so high for it though.

Well it's not game breaking or anything, I just think it's kind of funny. :) You also could have summoned him to help with boss fight.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

nftyw posted:

Not gonna tell you where/how you got that, but it's basically a white soapstone on a timer. Put it down, and then go explore. You'll get summoned to follow a dude around for about five minutes and kill poo poo. You get the full soul rewards of all enemies who died, the ability to pick up enemy drops (if you get any, they seem to be instanced too so no worries about loot ninjas) and when you pop back you get all the rewards of a bonfire rest without enemies respawning (great for exploring) AND your humanity restored AND a smooth and shiny stone.

Also, holy poo poo, that first boss. Definitely a tutorial boss but metal as gently caress. Left Arm Ahead

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

slev posted:

I just got exploded after killing the three sentinels in lost bastille :(

HAHAHAHA You died :darksouls:

Hope you dont get invaded before you get to your bloodstain :haw:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Also, holy poo poo, that first boss. Definitely a tutorial boss but metal as gently caress. Left Arm Ahead

He was both super easy and frustratingly hard as a Deprived since he oneshot me if he could land a hit in.

Now I'm stumped as to where to go next but I guess trying to figure out how to get to the lizard in the burning room you pass on the elevator is a good enough place to start.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

The Emerald Herald can go to hell

code:
> give estus flask shard
"You... want give... estus shard flask?
code:
> yes
"OK, you... you give estus shard flask?"
code:
> yes
"You not have estus shard flask."

why is the option even there then :psyduck:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Dreggon posted:

code:
> give estus flask shard
"You... want give... estus shard flask?
code:
> yes
"OK, you... you give estus shard flask?"
code:
> yes
"You not have estus shard flask."

why is the option even there then :psyduck:

Yeah I think it should be greyed out when you don't have Flask Shards, because sometimes I can't be assed to check my inventory and sometimes I think I picked up a shard when it turns out I didn't.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So I've got some sort of seriously hosed up control bullshit going on - I started a cleric, and got to the second little fogged out area just past the hut - with the tree you push down, then the archer, then the hole you jump down. However, whenever I push down the tree and run towards the archer, no matter how many times i tap left click, my character won't attack at all until a good 4-5 seconds have passed. I can kill the archer despite this, but when I jump down my character's complete refusal to attack even if I stand completely still and tap left click makes me incapable of killing him. The weird poo poo is if I try this on the pathway leading up the area, my character attacks immediately, every single time - I've got full stamina in combat too, so it's not that. It's like the presence of a monster makes me unable to attack properly. This is getting.. extremely frustrating - I've died at least 15 times to this one single guy with a knife and haven't been able to melee even once - not even a miss.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Dreggon posted:

Hope you enjoy BEARER SEEK SEEK LEST for all eternity, for every time you want to level up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wolpertinger posted:

So I've got some sort of seriously hosed up control bullshit going on - I started a cleric, and got to the second little fogged out area just past the hut - with the tree you push down, then the archer, then the hole you jump down. However, whenever I push down the tree and run towards the archer, no matter how many times i tap left click, my character won't attack at all until a good 4-5 seconds have passed. I can kill the archer despite this, but when I jump down my character's complete refusal to attack even if I stand completely still and tap left click makes me incapable of killing him. The weird poo poo is if I try this on the pathway leading up the area, my character attacks immediately, every single time - I've got full stamina in combat too, so it's not that. It's like the presence of a monster makes me unable to attack properly. This is getting.. extremely frustrating - I've died at least 15 times to this one single guy with a knife and haven't been able to melee even once - not even a miss.

Dexters Secret posted:

AutoHotkey script for those using KB+M controls, first make sure left click and right click are unbound from attacks. Honestly I unbound everything in my mouse keybind section.

Then you use this:

#IfWinActive, ahk_class DarkSouls2
~*LButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

~*RButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{g}
return

The ~ means that the left click still goes through. It will now also send a keypress, in this example I used h and g. The SetKeyDelay is needed for key press duration.

StashAugustine posted:

I will add that you should probably throw in:
~*MButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{o}
return
so that you can lock on with your shield up.

Mouse commands are janky as gently caress.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Attestant posted:

Hope you enjoy BEARER SEEK SEEK LEST for all eternity, for every time you want to level up.

Why do you need to go to her to level up anyways? Its not a big deal since you can warp from any bonfire, it just seems odd to require it when Dark Souls let you level up anywhere.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Uhh is it possible to remap the default controller method of jumping on PC, because pushing down the left stick while sprinting to jump is loving awful?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Uhh is it possible to remap the default controller method of jumping on PC, because pushing down the left stick while sprinting to jump is loving awful?
Yeah it's in game settings, you can switch it back to the old way.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Estus can be increased (look for shards) and upgraded with sublime bone dust

Dude on eagle dropship will show up later (killing him now is just a bonus)

Raise ADP if your rolling sucks

Hold run to move faster up/down ladders, PRESS to jump off

Talk to hooded m'lady to level up

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Internet Kraken posted:

Why do you need to go to her to level up anyways? Its not a big deal since you can warp from any bonfire, it just seems odd to require it when Dark Souls let you level up anywhere.

I think they want you to visit Majula frequently, just to make sure you notice all the new NPC's moving in as you find them.

But it's a serious pain in the rear end, and I wish they'd bring back the bonfire levelling from DaS1. At least on PC the loading times are much nicer, and I won't have to suffer through waiting for my PS3 to load the goddamn Emerald Herald dialogue line by line.

*whrrrrrr* BEARER- *whrrrrr* SEEK- *whrrrrr* SEEK- *whrrrrrr* LEST-

:negative:

Best reason to buy the PC version.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I think they were trying to recapture the feeling of the Maiden in Black, but they failed in that regard. The Maiden at least recited her chant while you leveled up, not before.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Going to second the motion that the pursuer sucks. Dude just ran over me like a train carrying truck parts, what's his useless rear end doing as an apparently required boss fight 20 minutes later?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I managed to get Skyrim into Dark Souls II

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Going to second the motion that the pursuer sucks. Dude just ran over me like a train carrying truck parts, what's his useless rear end doing as an apparently required boss fight now?

He is a required boss, you just have the option of fighting him earlier if you're a bad enough dude.
Parry, then try the ballista's

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

neetengie posted:

He is a required boss, you just have the option of fighting him earlier if you're a bad enough dude.

Holy poo poo you can actually parry a boss??? I didn't even bother trying since there was only one boss you could parry in Dark Souls.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

neetengie posted:

The required time to fight him is on that patio overlooking the sea [/spoiler]after you kill the Giant, right?[/spoiler]

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

neetengie posted:

Actually the boss fight is 100% optional.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Internet Kraken posted:

Holy poo poo you can actually parry a boss??? I didn't even bother trying since there was only one boss you could parry in Dark Souls.

There's a fair amount of bosses you can parry in DaS2. They just tend to punish you really hard for failures, so it's not worth it most of the time. Pursuer is one of the easier ones for it.

FrickenMoron posted:

To add to this: Many, many bosses are 100% optional this time around. The ways around them can be pretty hard to figure out, though.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
I'm attempting a playthrough with the mouse/keyboard....am I insane, or is this a semi-reasonable thing to do? I don't have a controller since I've only had a ps3 not an xbox.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

The required time to fight him is on that patio overlooking the sea after you kill the Giant, right?

When his bigass health bar at the bottom shows up and a cutscene plays with red jelly spreading on the edges of your screen, yes that's when you need to fight him.

FrickenMoron posted:

He's still a considered boss to face since his health bar appears and blocks off an area - you can go through Heide's but not a lot do, and it's more convenient to fight the Pursuer.

EDIT: I'd say he's required because you it makes the path much shorter, and who the gently caress wants to actually go through the Wharf except for the Lucatiel quest, Aurous Armor and Shadow Set, which the latter two only appear for NG+ and on.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Thanks for telling me where the Co-op item is. Went back and tried it out on Last Giant for 15 minutes. Wow, that's some fast summoning right now. And not a bad payout for how quick it was.

Also, I love that we have more time now after killing the boss to stand around and use animations. Fun stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
So, I'm fighting all the koopas and it's really frustrating with all the drat debris around. Any tips?