Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Sober posted:

So can you sequence break the game and waste the Iron Branch to de-petrify the dude up in the Bastille by the bonfire? Or does that one only work on the woman by the switch near Majula?

It works on both, and a few other things. There's more branches around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Putting the lever that turns all the traps off BEHIND the curtain of traps. That's some "Videogames circa 1996" poo poo right there.

Ah...

Yeah. Ok that is a bit weird. Not going to lie.

I keep forgetting to get the Iron Key because once I"m done with the boss, I"m like gently caress YOU iron keep I"m out biiiiiiiitch.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Sober posted:

So can you sequence break the game and waste the Iron Branch to de-petrify the dude up in the Bastille by the bonfire? Or does that one only work on the woman by the switch near Majula?

Not really. There are other branches you can get from other places. The one in Bastille isn't even necessarily the first one you get.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
There are around 5 to 7 Fragrance Branches of Yore in the game. Pretty much enough to use it on everything.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Iron King, stop flamethrower-ing me. Stop it! :saddowns:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I'll say this. DON'T lock on the Iron King.

You'll thank me later. :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I like how the Ironbro was a chump but the Smelterbro is a brickwall of murder and pain.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How do you get to the bonfire in Lost Bastille near the dogs? There's a locked door and a large crack in the wall and neither are proving to be of use.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elysiume posted:

How do you get to the bonfire in Lost Bastille near the dogs? There's a locked door and a large crack in the wall and neither are proving to be of use.

That barrel at the top of the ramp explodes. Knock it down to the wall then shoot a fire arrow at it. Or stab it. Whichever.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

RBA Starblade posted:

That barrel at the top of the ramp explodes. Knock it down to the wall then shoot a fire arrow at it. Or stab it. Whichever.
Huh, I didn't realize you could push it. I kept trying to make the enemies push it for me.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy crap seriously people, drop down your signs literally every time. If you're in a new area and you don't know what to do then just drop a small one and use that timeframe to farm souls, learn about the area by guarding your host and refresh your estus. The multiplayer in this one is much more robust than the first, drat i love helping people out against bosses.

This game is amazing :getin:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Elysiume posted:

There are two ways to get to this bonfire.

One, you notice up stairs that there is a guard mummy with a black barrel. He kicks it down but if you hug the wall to the left, he shouldn't aggro. Kill him and pray he doesn't attack the black barrel which explodes. Basically roll the barrel down the stairs and it should explode the wall.

Two. Go through Belfry Luna. PvP hell though, but yeah you have to go through, fight the bosses, go down the ladder and prepare for basically Capra Demon 2.0 only with more loving dogs to get the key that opens the lock door.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Beat the Old Dragonslayer after something like 20 tries - but without using any of your pansy-rear end shields! Dual wielding swordswoman turns battle to dance! Still, he was definitely a more formidable foe than the other Tower of Flame boss.

Fun fight though. Especially since the game gives you time to come to the realization. I remember I walked in and saw his name, thought "Dragon slayer? That seems familiar." Then I got a look at him. "...:aaaaa: It's you! :argh:" I'll be interested in seeing if his design was particularly meaningful or if the devs were just being smartasses.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
This morning I decided I wanted to roll a hexer, but I didn't feel like going through the game, so I did the 10 minute hex run, which was more like an hour and a half hex run. BUT I GOT IT! :shepicide:

Roll a sorc, sprint to the dragon rider. use 28 soul arrows

Also I re-rerolled because my first roll ran out of Lifegems. Details.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Fun fight though. Especially since the game gives you time to come to the realization. I remember I walked in and saw his name, thought "Dragon slayer? That seems familiar." Then I got a look at him. "...:aaaaa: It's you! :argh:" I'll be interested in seeing if his design was particularly meaningful or if the devs were just being smartasses.

When I first ran through that area I was sprinting past all the old knights, and thought I'd have respite in the cathedral. I was fully cursed, and I had just enough time to say "...oh no" before he ran his pike into my gut. Good times.

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 27, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For chimes, which am I better off buffing up, the Idol or the Witchtree? Or is there another, better one soon? I've just beaten Two Dragonriders.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

I like how the Ironbro was a chump but the Smelterbro is a brickwall of murder and pain.

It says a lot when the wiki states the host should do everything he can to stay alive so the phantoms can finish their duty for once.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
So am I finally developing schizophrenia or are there very specific areas in the game where you can hear soft, incomprehensible whispering? I was at the rocky top of No Man's Wharf and kept hearing it and getting creeped the gently caress out.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mans posted:

Holy crap seriously people, drop down your signs literally every time. If you're in a new area and you don't know what to do then just drop a small one and use that timeframe to farm souls, learn about the area by guarding your host and refresh your estus. The multiplayer in this one is much more robust than the first, drat i love helping people out against bosses.

This game is amazing :getin:

I agree. It is much more fun to learn the encounters in somebody elses world and try to stay human as long as possible in your own.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Uggghhh, the Ruin Sentinels. Took me like 6-7 tries to kill the bastards, and every time I had 2 allies. At one point I even got killed because I thought there could be only one Sentinel on the entry platform at once. :(

What level are you supposed to be at for them, anyway?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

kirbysuperstar posted:

For chimes, which am I better off buffing up, the Idol or the Witchtree? Or is there another, better one soon? I've just beaten Two Dragonriders.

Depends on what you're using it for, miracles or hexes. I don't actually know the answer either way, but it matters :v:

Odds are you want whichever one has the better scaling for the spell type you're using - lightning for miracles, dark for hexes. Infusing it with the same element will improve its scaling further, as well.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Dear god still so many locked doors.

After backtracking and searching high and low for large titanite shards, I've decided I hate the level design in Dark Souls II so far. Design not simply poor in comparison to the levels in DS1; these early DS2 levels are outright bad. So many goddamn locked doors with no real rhyme or reason to which key will open what, which creates a buttload of backtracking when you get a new key and want to find out what it can open. Dark Souls wasn't covered in so many locked doors that you'd be liable to forget about a few, and the key descriptions hinted or told you specifically which door they opened.

Were different teams working on different areas during the development? I reached Shaded Woods and Huntsman Copse and all of a sudden doors have thankfully vanished from the world.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

Uggghhh, the Ruin Sentinels. Took me like 6-7 tries to kill the bastards, and every time I had 2 allies. At one point I even got killed because I thought there could be only one Sentinel on the entry platform at once. :(

What level are you supposed to be at for them, anyway?

It's...really not a matter of level, since stats vary tremendously based on what class you choose and what stats you choose to pump when you level up. If you can equip the stuff you want to wear and you think you can manage the rates at which you're taking/dealing damage with your current equipment and stats, then you're levelled enough for your purposes. For one person that point's going to be at level 1, for another it's gonna be level 150. There's other places you can go besides the citadel, though, if you're fed up with the sentinels.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If you go into an already-cleared boss room which automatically banishes any shades, do they get their oath fulfilled? I'm not sure if it's selfish or not.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Maxmaps posted:

So am I finally developing schizophrenia or are there very specific areas in the game where you can hear soft, incomprehensible whispering? I was at the rocky top of No Man's Wharf and kept hearing it and getting creeped the gently caress out.

There's a couple of places that weird me the gently caress out and I just don't feel comfortable being there. The basement in the Majula mansion is one of them. Even with the skeleton dead it just feels wrong being down there.
If you look at the shattered pieces on the ground near the chest that held the soulvessel, it's in fact a smashed up Lordvessel.

There's a theory going around that Drangleic is some distortion of Lordran, both past and future.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Sober posted:

You can find 2 of the branches, so you won't get stuck except if you have trouble finding them. :v:

Also, does anyone have any hints on how to kill the endgame spoilersBig loving Dragon? Hitting him with the large club seems to do decent damage, but his area of effect attack wrecks me, even when I know its coming and start hauling rear end right when I see the tells.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 27, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's a couple of places that weird me the gently caress out and I just don't feel comfortable being there. The basement in the Majula mansion is one of them. Even with the skeleton dead it just feels wrong being down there.

Yeah, I get the same poo poo there or going past the cells in the Bastille's basement. Kudos to From for managing an atmosphere where I'm mentally prepared to die constantly to horrible poo poo and it's the unnerving details that get me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So is it true they've done the exact same thing as in early Dark Souls 1 wherein scaling is mostly garbage, elemental damage is king, and you're best off just going for the absolute bare minimum stats for <spell/weapon you want> and a bunch of health?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

So is it true they've done the exact same thing as in early Dark Souls 1 wherein scaling is mostly garbage, elemental damage is king, and you're best off just going for the absolute bare minimum stats for <spell/weapon you want> and a bunch of health?

Not from what I've seen. People use elemental weapons, but they are nowhere near as effective as people using normal weapons and casting enchantments on them, and even then a normal weapon like the mace still wrecks shop.

Also, elemental was only king when darksouls was released, it got nerfed pretty badly in the first patch.

edit: I fought a guy duel wielding 2 poison whips twice. They literally did no damage to me, and if I got poisoned he would switch to the royal kite shield and try to tank. It was actually kinda funny. First time he got me, because I didn't have poison moss on the quick bar, second time I ate a fruit and then proceeded to beat the poo poo out of him.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 27, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Uh no? It's much more different than doing DS1 builds.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Walrus Pete posted:

Depends on what you're using it for, miracles or hexes. I don't actually know the answer either way, but it matters :v:

Odds are you want whichever one has the better scaling for the spell type you're using - lightning for miracles, dark for hexes. Infusing it with the same element will improve its scaling further, as well.

Oh, yeah good point. I haven't touched Hexes, just Miracles.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tracula posted:

I'm getting a micro-stutter issue. The game runs fine maxed but it 'skips' a little every few seconds, it's really noticable when walking somewhere. I had a similar issue in New Vegas and I recall having to futz with the ini settings to fix it. Is there any solution for it yet in DS2? I'm not seeing vsync or any sort of framerate lock. It's also worth mentioning this only happens when fullscreen.

Hate to quote myself but anybody have an answer?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Elysiume posted:

If you go into an already-cleared boss room which automatically banishes any shades, do they get their oath fulfilled? I'm not sure if it's selfish or not.
They get nothing.

I helped a guy reach a boss and he banished me, so whenever I summon a half-health shade I make sure to let them get their duty fulfilled instead of banishment catalysting them before the boss like a jerk.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.
You know what I hate? Jews When you get slightly better armour but it doesn't look quite as good as the last stuff you had.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RasputinVarez posted:

You know what I hate? Jews When you get slightly better armour but it doesn't look quite as good as the last stuff you had.

Dark Souls armor is all about fashion, screw things like "stats"

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Dark Souls armor is all about fashion, screw things like "stats"

Precisely what I said as I changed out of the charity armor the guy in the main town gave me after he got the good stuff in his inventory.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there any 'nice' way to get rid of a phantom or shade who helped you because you're done with what you wanted to do (which was NOT the area boss), and need to use a bonfire to move on or whatever? I feel guilty using the black shard thing to get them out of my world because I know that means they're not rewarded.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I'm sure this will fade as I get further into the game, but I really appreciate how useful throwing weapons are in this game. Throwing knives and holy water do decent damage for how cheap they are. Useful for a Caestus user.

Edit: I'm regretting not buying more poison throwing knives before I moved Gavlan.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 27, 2014

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I'm sure this will fade as I get further into the game, but I really appreciate how useful throwing weapons are in this game. Daggers and holy water do decent damage for how cheap they are. Useful for a Caestus user.

Yeah, I was kind of shocked how hard throwing knives hit the first time I used one. Definitely a couple spots in the Forest where they or other thrown items can come in handy for someone without a bow or spells. They're nice for breaking poison jars, too.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Throwing knives are incredible in the Lost Bastille because they OHK the suicide mummies.

Is the Blue Sentinel covenant restricted to the zone you're in? Both of the times I was summoned it pulled me to the same zone.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I've been having a lot of fun doing co-op/pvp runs in Belfry Luna tonight. :) My character's name is Carmyn, if you ever come across me!