Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
what's up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

Homestuck is a webcomic written, illustrated, and animated by Andrew Hussie, and is the fourth overall webcomic published on MS Paint Adventures.[1] The series centers on a group of teenagers who unwittingly bring about the beginning of the end of the world through the installation of a beta copy of an upcoming computer game.

The comic uses a combination of static images, animated GIFs, instant message logs, Flash animations, and games created in HTML5. It has been noted for its considerable length—6,851 pages and over 750,000 words as of October 16, 2013[2]—and complex plot.[3]

no thank you

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
if you dont know what something is its prob bad and dumb

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

amarantinesky posted:

I'm not very skinny but I think I have kind of low iron, is that supposed to happen? :ohdear:

I haven't donated blood in a while and I feel like I should but if I get a glimpse of that finger prick poo poo I basically pass out. Idk why because I'm fine with them removing blood from me if I can't see or feel it, but if I'm watching blood leave my body for a medical procedure my blood pressure just plummets and they don't let me donate blood. :(

I usually have crazy low iron but now I eat spinach almost-constantly (3 meals today) so it's at a normal person range.

For women you have to be at least 5'5" and 150 pounds so fat enough is obviously tongue in cheek but it's adorable how excited they get when a chubster comes in.

Double red is extra fun if you're not squeamish about watching blood pour out of your body because it stops sometimes and clear liquid goes back in and then it stops and blood shoots back out it is super entertaining.

I do it for purely karmic reasons (I have a blood type that makes it difficult if I need blood) and never begrudge those who are squeamish. There are sooo many barrier to giving blood both medical and mental.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

what's up

I feel like poo poo and am desperately hoping I didn't get food poisoning from take out. How are you doing?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

amarantinesky posted:

I feel like poo poo and am desperately hoping I didn't get food poisoning from take out. How are you doing?
moving to germany, again

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

amarantinesky posted:

Oh man thinking about getting food poisoning is step one to getting super sick. Happy thoughts. Asky.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
hegel i love your new username

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

detectivemonkey posted:

I usually have crazy low iron but now I eat spinach almost-constantly (3 meals today) so it's at a normal person range.

For women you have to be at least 5'5" and 150 pounds so fat enough is obviously tongue in cheek but it's adorable how excited they get when a chubster comes in.

Double red is extra fun if you're not squeamish about watching blood pour out of your body because it stops sometimes and clear liquid goes back in and then it stops and blood shoots back out it is super entertaining.

I do it for purely karmic reasons (I have a blood type that makes it difficult if I need blood) and never begrudge those who are squeamish. There are sooo many barrier to giving blood both medical and mental.

I have a pretty common blood type but I love giving blood, the first time I tried I turned out slightly too anemic so it's led me to try to eat healthier and take vitamin supplements

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VanSandman posted:

hegel i love your new username
thanks

next one will be HEGEL EXERCISES, thanks sexman

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Titty Warlord posted:

no thank you

bitcoin of webcomics

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

viscous wolves posted:

I have a pretty common blood type but I love giving blood, the first time I tried I turned out slightly too anemic so it's led me to try to eat healthier and take vitamin supplements

My mom is anemic and it was cool that I could text her today and brag about my iron levels and she was legitimately proud and excited. Iron supplements are terrible though I live in fear of a doctor making me take them.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

How I'm doing is I went to the community hall society's AGM and it was uneventful and I received a cheque for the community radio so yay for communities and stuff. Also I went and liberated some rocks from a sweet rock pile I found for garden edging, and am gonna attack Mt. Laundry this evening. Strawberries are flowering and tulips are almost done.

My favourite thing about my house is my back yard :)

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

biggie, i'll never forget you. rip

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

moving to germany, again

Is this good or bad? I hope it goes well!

detectivemonkey posted:

Oh man thinking about getting food poisoning is step one to getting super sick. Happy thoughts. Asky.

I've been feeling lovely since earlier this weekend but I figured it was drug related, but like ten minutes ago I told jsl I felt super nauseous and he said he did too. So now I'm worried about the food we ate. :(

detectivemonkey posted:

Hmm that's interesting, I do eat a lot of spinach and take women's vitamins now so hopefully my iron levels are somewhat higher now, it's definitely something I'm curious about when I go in for my next blood test. I just thought you meant there was supposed to be a connection between weight and iron other than total mass. The 150 lb limit thing makes more sense though. Most of my friends in high school weren't even allowed to do the regular blood donation since they weighed like 85 lbs. D:

Yeah I think giving blood is good and I'm glad I did it when I was a bit younger. Now I honestly don't think they'd even want my drugged up blood, plus other reasons, so I feel kind of bad about not donating. However they permanently banned my sister (actually both of them I think) for false positive tests so I guess that means they aren't desperate for blood? Also don't drink excessively the night before you donate blood, it seems like it should be obvious but apparently it isn't.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I don't eat fast food much but I gave blood the day after eating an in'n'out cheeseburger and it went really well compared to the previous time

also for some reason the bloodmobile that stops by my campus gives out $5 in'n'out gift cards

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

viscous wolves posted:

I don't eat fast food much but I gave blood the day after eating an in'n'out cheeseburger and it went really well compared to the previous time

also for some reason the bloodmobile that stops by my campus gives out $5 in'n'out gift cards

I imagine having a full stomach and iron-rich food could help with donation even if it's just psychological. It's kind of cool that you get gift certificates though, even though I think that you aren't allowed to be paid for donations and that's kind of repaying you.

Ugh still feel terrible.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I faint just getting a blood test done, I haven't tried my luck with donating.

Also, this exists for some reason?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
let me tell you about homestuck

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i cant give blood

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

amarantinesky posted:

Is this good or bad? I hope it goes well!

I've been feeling lovely since earlier this weekend but I figured it was drug related, but like ten minutes ago I told jsl I felt super nauseous and he said he did too. So now I'm worried about the food we ate. :(

Hmm that's interesting, I do eat a lot of spinach and take women's vitamins now so hopefully my iron levels are somewhat higher now, it's definitely something I'm curious about when I go in for my next blood test. I just thought you meant there was supposed to be a connection between weight and iron other than total mass. The 150 lb limit thing makes more sense though. Most of my friends in high school weren't even allowed to do the regular blood donation since they weighed like 85 lbs. D:

Yeah I think giving blood is good and I'm glad I did it when I was a bit younger. Now I honestly don't think they'd even want my drugged up blood, plus other reasons, so I feel kind of bad about not donating. However they permanently banned my sister (actually both of them I think) for false positive tests so I guess that means they aren't desperate for blood? Also don't drink excessively the night before you donate blood, it seems like it should be obvious but apparently it isn't.

Anemia sucks so even if it's not blood donation related it's good to keep your iron up.

If they were desperate for blood the FDA would let gay men donate, so don't feel too bad.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

i cant give blood

go forth and spread your aids no more

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

i cant give blood

Are you inflicted with the British?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

detectivemonkey posted:

Are you inflicted with the British?

come on Wizard Master, this is your moment to shine

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

he may have kissed a boy once

every time I hear that question in the screening it bums me out, that's such a stupid rule

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
i wanted to sign up for that marrow donation site but they dont like the particular flavor of sadbrains that was once my main diagnosis, and since its on paper in my medical records im screwed i suppose

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

viscous wolves posted:

every time I hear that question in the screening it bums me out, that's such a stupid rule

Seriously. I got a tattoo a week and a half ago and I was allowed to donate. Although apparently DC doesn't regulate tattoos so if you get one there you have to wait a year. (I didn't get one there).

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

viscous wolves posted:

being gay is communicable via blood

that's right, gays are vampires

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
It also sucks that there's no good way to boycott to get the rule changed without hurting innocent people.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbIEamupKLw

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

detectivemonkey posted:

It also sucks that there's no good way to boycott to get the rule changed without hurting innocent people.

The top priorities of the American Red Cross are the safety of our volunteer blood donors and the ultimate recipients of blood. On June 11, 2010, the Department of Health and Human Services Secretary's Advisory Committee on Blood Safety and Availability voted against recommending a change to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) policy of a lifetime deferral for men who have sex with other men. The FDA is responsible for determining donor eligibility requirements and the Red Cross is required to follow their decisions. However, the Red Cross does support the use of rational, scientifically-based deferral periods that are applied fairly and consistently among donors who engage in similar risk activities. We will continue to work through the AABB (American Association of Blood Banks) to press for donor deferral policies that are fair and consistent and based on scientific evidence, while still protecting patients from potential harm.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i signed up for marrow donation, but nobody ever called me

good to know i'm there if they need me, tho

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

Av, take the .gif out of the webcomic thread. I don't think you meant to put it there.
i had my reasons

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i also posted my glorious firstborn in the parenting megathread because i felt they deserved to see it

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I worry about you sometimes, avvy

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
it's not really funny anymore

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

The top priorities of the American Red Cross are the safety of our volunteer blood donors and the ultimate recipients of blood. On June 11, 2010, the Department of Health and Human Services Secretary's Advisory Committee on Blood Safety and Availability voted against recommending a change to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) policy of a lifetime deferral for men who have sex with other men. The FDA is responsible for determining donor eligibility requirements and the Red Cross is required to follow their decisions. However, the Red Cross does support the use of rational, scientifically-based deferral periods that are applied fairly and consistently among donors who engage in similar risk activities. We will continue to work through the AABB (American Association of Blood Banks) to press for donor deferral policies that are fair and consistent and based on scientific evidence, while still protecting patients from potential harm.

That makes me very happy. It looks like it's a one-year deferral now which is good. But even the AMA told the FDA to change their recommendation and they were all nope.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

detectivemonkey posted:

That makes me very happy. It looks like it's a one-year deferral now which is good. But even the AMA told the FDA to change their recommendation and they were all nope.

i just thought the answer was really funny because most of the other questions on the page are answer with "if you did x yea you can give blood" or "nah you cant" but if you kissed a boy you get a thesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

detectivemonkey posted:

I was gonna say that's not right 'cause I gave blood when I weighted like 111 lbs but then realized you're talking about a different kinda blood donation. I'd never heard of double red cell donation.

I'm always too low on iron to donate even the regular donation. Even when I'm not technically anemic (which I can barely squeak past if I take a lot of iron supplements), I'm still too low for the blood donation cut-off. The only time I ever was able to donate was in high school when I dieted obsessively (hence weighing 111 lbs) and ate nothing but Lucky Charms. The iron fortification must've worked.

• Locked thread