Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Desperado Bones posted:

I thought Cumberbatch's accent in 12 years a slave sounded a bit odd in comparison with everyone else. Was it on purpose, or was he making a really bad Southern accent?

Here, have a poster:

Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla is a Mexican Independence war hero. I hope he kills people with his bare hands or something.

He has to run a race across the desert on a horse named... Viggo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Someone's selling some posters in SA Mart. Some of them are pretty nice. Great ones are gone by now though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Vargo posted:

Someone's selling some posters in SA Mart. Some of them are pretty nice. Great ones are gone by now though.

Look at this guy. Buys the True Grit poster and calls the rest mediocre.

Some of us liked That's My Boy, sir.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Some of us liked That's My Boy, sir.

Really though? And enough to put a poster up on your wall?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Fayez Butts posted:

Really though? And enough to put a poster up on your wall?

Try five.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Wallpaper.

Fayez Butts posted:

Really though?

No.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Got an IMAX poster at the midnight showing of The Amazing James Spader-Man 2 tonight.

The entire poster is a matte finish, and the Spidey is glossy. Not too shabby.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
They just don't make tag-lines like they once did.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Gonz posted:

Got an IMAX poster at the midnight showing of The Amazing James Spader-Man 2 tonight.

The entire poster is a matte finish, and the Spidey is glossy. Not too shabby.

It's just a shame they got so lazy with the background.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

45: Heavy Metal Horror

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

ShufflerZero posted:

:rock:

Lord Raptor approves!

Having seen Zombie Nightmare on MST3k, it's rather impressive how inaccurate the poster is. It wasn't until I saw the mention of Adam West (who may be in the movie for all of ten minutes) that I was convinced that it wasn't a title shared by another movie.

Edit: Also has a pre-Wayne's World Tia Carrere.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 4, 2014

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You forgot Slaughterhouse Rock!

And Bad Channels is worth a mention as well.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 4, 2014

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

kiimo posted:

I know a lot of Brits can't stand it when Americans try and fail to do a British accent but for me one of the few that goes the other way is Cary Elways. His American accents are atrocious. The Australian guy who plays Jason Stackhouse on True Blood is a fuckin master though.

vvvv we all love Princess Bride that's not what people are talking about.

Elwes legit does the worst American accent I've ever heard.

Infamous Sphere posted:

If you're an Australian actor and you want worldwide success as anything other than an Australian caricature, you have to be able to do a serviceable British accent and a serviceable American one. Unless you watch Australian productions (which you'll probably only see if you're an Australian), you probably won't see the actors ever get to do their own accents. Hell, in We Hate Movies' review of The Pallbearer, they mistook Toni Colette for a Brit, probably because they'd only heard her be British and American.

poo poo, now I know why Bryan Brown never took off here.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Red Letter Media covered Trick or Treat on one of their episodes of Best of the Worst. It sounded interesting enough to check out but also sounded pretty terrible. I think that might be the next movie I watch.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

DNS posted:

Elwes legit does the worst American accent I've ever heard.

Did you hear Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Dracula because goddamn. Also Gerard Butler in anything where he's forced to change anything about how he talks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ShufflerZero posted:

This sounds like Metalacolypse: The Live Action Movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Man, after posting that Bad Channels poster, I had the hankering to look at some old Full Moon posters, they were on their loving game in the 90s. Unfortunately, as their franchises went on, the quality turned right to poo poo.

Puppet Master! The first couple of these are absolutely classic.

Part 2! With nazi-themed robot dude!

Part 3, hands down the best poster of the bunch.

Holy poo poo is that a lot of puppets.

Alright, looks like we're winding up, right?

More? Goddamn. Curse of the Puppet Master, ugh, this one was bad.

Retro Puppet Master, starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel, boys.

Puppet Master Legacy: :effort:

Unfortunately, Puppet Master Vs. Demonic Toys was never released...

Oh wait, it was! Wait a minute... what the hell is this poo poo?

Blade is back! Where'd he go? Not far, judging by how many loving sequels we're up to here.

Goddamn, they're still loving making these?!? Also, holy loving moly on the racist-as-all-hell Japanese pilot, nice job guys!

And then there's the rest!

Meridian, never seen it but it looks like a decent enough Beauty & the Beast rip-off homage.

Dr. Mordrid, from what I heard of this, Full Moon actually aquired the license for Dr. Strange from Marvel, but then they lost the rights or whatever but were already in the middle of preproduction so just went ahead and made their own dude. The movie loving rules too, Jeffrey Combs as NOT Dr. Strange and the alien assassin dude from the X-Files as the big bad. The boss battle at the end is dope.

Demonic Toys, if you thought the world needed a foul-mouth demon possessed plastic baby doll which shits and pisses itself, this is the movie for you.

Dollman! Another Full Moon classic. Violent as all hell and Brick Bardo oozes so much goddamn machismo, your girlfriend'll get pregnant if she sits too close while watching.

gently caress, he even fights the Demonic Toys! Plus one of the chicks from Bad Channels is in this too so that technically counts as a threesome.

Arcade! Ever wonder what ever happened to Ralphie from A Christmas Story? Me neither. But apparently he went on to be in this turd.

gently caress yeah I remember Robot Jox! What, this isn't Robot Jox? What the fu...

The sequel (in theory) to Robot Wars, I'm pretty sure that robot only shows up in the last five minutes of the movie. Crash & Burn indeed.

Netherworld, I remember renting this based on the box cover alone, then only watching the first five minutes because it weirded me out too much.

Seedpeople, a movie which does not live up to it's poster.

Much like Shadowzone.

Aaaaaand I'll just end this post with this gem,

at least until I get to the Subspecies series...

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 6, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

ruddiger posted:

at least until I get to the Subspecies series...

I bought this on DVD at a gas station for $3. It wasn't as bad as I expected — J.W. Perra gives a pretty memorable performance as The Head, and it's low-key goofy enough.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ruddiger posted:

Man, after posting that Bad Channels poster, I had the hankering to look at some old Full Moon posters, they were on their loving game in the 90s. Unfortunately, as their franchises went on, the quality turned right to poo poo.

Puppet Master! The first couple of these are absolutely classic.

I loved the Puppet Master movies, but didn't know they went beyond part 3 :psyduck:
Part four is like a fever dream for me,I can barely remember it. Holy poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was always super grossed out by the leach woman one.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Funny fact about Full Moon is that they would come up with a very basic premise (such as Puppet Master being about evil puppets) and then get someone to paint a poster, then they'd write the script based on the poster. David Goyer said that he was brought in and told to choose from three posters and write a script. He picked Demonic Toys.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I saw so many of those posters in comic books and sci-fi mags.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If I remember correctly, the hero in this one is a nonce.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

For one brief, wonderful moment Full Moon was all about Head Horror.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_D9OjDoQ0

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Haha, someone once asked me to review Wild Zero. It's probably been the most unfitting request I've had so far.

Yodzilla posted:

Did you hear Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Dracula because goddamn. Also Gerard Butler in anything where he's forced to change anything about how he talks.

Jude Law is sometimes serviceable with an American accent (I don't remember it being that bad in Cold Mountain), but mostly pretty horrible. His accent in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil really has to be heard to be believed.
In Gattaca, it's a different kind of bad, oscillating wildly between a British and an American accent. When I watched the film i didn't know much about Jude Law, and assumed he must have been an American doing a horrible British accent instead of the other way around.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Infamous Sphere posted:

Haha, someone once asked me to review Wild Zero. It's probably been the most unfitting request I've had so far.

Jude Law is sometimes serviceable with an American accent (I don't remember it being that bad in Cold Mountain), but mostly pretty horrible. His accent in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil really has to be heard to be believed.
In Gattaca, it's a different kind of bad, oscillating wildly between a British and an American accent. When I watched the film i didn't know much about Jude Law, and assumed he must have been an American doing a horrible British accent instead of the other way around.

Goddamn, I've haven't seen that movie in ages, so out of context that scene seems so bizarre as to be loving hilarious.

give me twenny dolarz

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mister Nobody posted:

Goddamn, I've haven't seen that movie in ages, so out of context that scene seems so bizarre as to be loving hilarious.

give me twenny dolarz

Jude Law is supposed to be American in GATTACA? It's been a while, but I remember him keeping his natural agent throughout. I'm pretty sure they mention him being "a foreigner" at one point too - "DNA has no nationality" or something.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Mister Nobody posted:

give me twenny dolarz

No wifin' in the club, gimme 20 dollars gimme 20 dollars gimme 20 dollars (couldn't resist.)
The sad thing is...if you want to watch that movie because you thought that the Jude Law performance was hilarious, he's only in the movie for 3 and a half minutes - and that's including all screen time, including him just standing there and him being dead. The movie's over two hours long, and most of it is John Cusack never closing his mouth, an annoying drag queen and the story being derailed by Cusack's shoehorned in romance with Eastwood's daughter. Did I mention that in the book, Cusack's character is probably gay and has no love interests at all?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Jude Law is supposed to be American in GATTACA? It's been a while, but I remember him keeping his natural agent throughout. I'm pretty sure they mention him being "a foreigner" at one point too - "DNA has no nationality" or something.

I could have sworn he was trying for one - at least enough of a one for me to think that his accent was horrible. If he'd just been doing his regular accent, I would have been like "oh, a random British guy" instead of "wow, that's some awful accent work." Then again, I also didn't notice how homoerotic the movie was so maybe I just wasn't paying very much attention.

Here, let's spice up this post with actual posters!

It's green...like sci fi!

"Welcome to Gattaca"? That's lame. Still, the poster, while lame...is less lame than the one above.

LET'S JAM SOME DNA IN HIS FACE

I...uh...I'd be upset, but Gattaca is a terrible movie so I really don't care.

Ok, gently caress it. I'm out.

BONUS Stache Spacey and Lurking Cusack (a rare shot of him with his mouth closed.)

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 6, 2014

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Is this the one where a dude's ding-dong is ripped off?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

riversarl posted:

Is this the one where a dude's ding-dong is ripped off?

You are thinking about Castle Freak. And unfortunately there is no ding-dong ripping in Castle Freak. Still a fun movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Subspecies rules.

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012

Popelmon posted:

You are thinking about Castle Freak. And unfortunately there is no ding-dong ripping in Castle Freak. Still a fun movie.

Good to see another Flophouse fan ;) I still need to see Head of the Family, but Castle Freak and Invisible Maniac are good fun.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ruddiger posted:

Dollman! Another Full Moon classic. Violent as all hell and Brick Bardo oozes so much goddamn machismo, your girlfriend'll get pregnant if she sits too close while watching.

gently caress, he even fights the Demonic Toys! Plus one of the chicks from Bad Channels is in this too so that technically counts as a threesome.

I love how Dollman is literally cropped out of the first poster and placed in the Demonic Toy poster.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Infamous Sphere posted:

Here, let's spice up this post with actual posters!

Gattaca was one of those movies that my high school's science classes would play to help grasp theoretical concepts/get us interested in a field/shut us up for a few lessons, so I kind of can't view it objectively, I always just flash back to sitting in an uncomfortable plastic chair waiting for the bell to ring.

It's something I definitely see troubles with making a poster for, though. It's not really a concept that can be sold in poster form (hell, they barely sell it in movie form), and you can see the designers struggling to latch onto anything to work from.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I like it a lot.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Predictably great. Hopefully trailer comes with Godzilla.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Arkane posted:

Predictably great. Hopefully trailer comes with Godzilla.

It'll probably only be attached to the IMAX release of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cleretic posted:

Gattaca was one of those movies that my high school's science classes would play to help grasp theoretical concepts/get us interested in a field/shut us up for a few lessons, so I kind of can't view it objectively, I always just flash back to sitting in an uncomfortable plastic chair waiting for the bell to ring.

It's still very funny that it's about all these future events but the main motivator for the protagonist, to see what's under Titan's clouds, was accomplished via probe a few years after the movie was released.