Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

420DD Butts posted:

Yes, but noted in the papers I produced: Overuse of one type of herbicide decreases its effectiveness over time. This is usually due to the weeds that it doesn't kill becoming the dominant (sub)species, and the allele for resistance becoming prevalent in the population. Here's a paper from Purdue detailing the rise in Roundup-resistant weeds:

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/GWC/GWC-1.pdf

And to address most of your links:

This link is from 2000. Most of it is speculating the affect of glychophosphate-ready crops on herbicide usage, not actually detailing a decline due to its usage.

One unpublished criticism is not enough to debunk research, as nice as that would be.

What is the source for this study, and who conducted it? The link at the bottom is broken and I wonder where they got these numbers.

It is better in the sense that it does not have as harmful an effect on the ecology of the surrounding land as other herbicides. The support for it actually reducing herbicide usage is shaky at best and I'd really like to see an academic paper (with working citation) on this matter before declaring that the case. And really, the point is your concession: It has done nothing to lessen our reliance on herbicides, it merely acted as a stop gap until resistance destroys its efficacy. We should be moving away from the use of herbicides, not devising ways to overuse one until it loses all effect. Solutions like Roundup-ready only promote this kind of short-sighted thinking as opposed to promoting actual solutions.

e: But I realize this isn't the thread for this. If you want to move it to another thread or PMs that works too.

plus the fact that all that wonderful monocultured food is just going to get turned into poo poo food for poo poo diets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Install Windows posted:

Yes if 50% of the people in an election voted for them or even actually supported the majority of their policies, which never happens, so it's a huge loving if.

Strategic voting isn't a theory or a belief, it's a provable fact with first past the post.

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Provable fact? How about this provable fact. If you don't live in one of perhaps three states then your individual vote in a presidential election CANNOT mean anything. In one of those three states, the odds of your vote being the one that swings the election in favour of one president or another are about one in a hyperkajillion. So no, strategic voting is provably bullshit.

In fact, voting at all is basically bullshit unless you ascribe to some variation on the Kantian moral imperative. Something along the lines of "act in such a way that if all others acted in that way the outcome would be best." There are variations on this that you may subscribe to, "civic duty" and all that, and thus voting for you would be the moral thing to do. But under such a moral imperative, you cannot justify strategic voting. Such a moral imperative obviously compels you to vote your conscience.

Strategic voting is eating a turd sandwich because you are afraid of the AIDS-bagel alternative and somebody told you that you'd be a bad citizen if you ate the somewhat unpalatable fajitas or simply didn't eat any of them.

Personally, I'm one of the moral imperative types, so I vote my conscience. And yes, the fajitas are somewhat unpalatable, and yes I'm terrified of the AIDS-bagel, but my vote means nothing so why eat the turd sandwich? Vote fajitas.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
You're right. Let's all collectively decide to not vote.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

plus the fact that all that wonderful monocultured food is just going to get turned into poo poo food for poo poo diets.

Nice pseudoscientific classism.

Jimbozig posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Provable fact?

Yes, that strategic voting is the best means to operate a series of winner-takes-all first-past-the-post contests over time is proven in game theory.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jimbozig posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Provable fact? How about this provable fact. If you don't live in one of perhaps three states then your individual vote in a presidential election CANNOT mean anything.

Your individual vote will never mean anything so go kill yourself deal with it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Jimbozig posted:

If you don't live in one of perhaps three states then your individual vote in a presidential election CANNOT mean anything.
Welp, I live in Florida, so I can't afford to throw my vote away.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, there's a few states like that.

I'm in Hawaii, so unless I'm mistaken somehow, there is absolutely nothing to lose by voting for the closest possible candidate to my views.

edit: also basically nothing to gain other than the knowledge that I have expressed my tiny opinion to a machine that will ignore it.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Not so fast. What county do you live in?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Not so fast. What county do you live in?
Presidential elections don't work that way. A vote in a podunk town in the Everglades means as much as a vote in Miami.

My House district is R+4 or so though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I live in Utah. I could vote for a ham sandwich and it wouldn't matter unless said sandwich has an -R after its name, in which case it will be elected. Also here Democrats are third party, after "absolutely loving crazy tea party Republican" aka Mike Lee, and "really right wing but less goddamn crazy Republican" aka Jon Huntsman.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

SubponticatePoster posted:

I live in Utah. I could vote for a ham sandwich and it wouldn't matter unless said sandwich has an -R after its name, in which case it will be elected. Also here Democrats are third party, after "absolutely loving crazy tea party Republican" aka Mike Lee, and "really right wing but less goddamn crazy Republican" aka Jon Huntsman.

I grew up in a solid blue state (MD!) and I always take for granted what it's like to be in a place where your vote/voice isn't entirely meaningless.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

nutranurse posted:

I grew up in a solid blue state (MD!) and I always take for granted what it's like to be in a place where your vote/voice isn't entirely meaningless.
But if you are in a solid blue (or anything) state, your vote IS meaningless...?

Or am I misunderstanding?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

420DD Butts posted:

So now you're arguing semantics with me, great.

DnD is like shooting fish in a loving barrel.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

But if you are in a solid blue (or anything) state, your vote IS meaningless...?

Or am I misunderstanding?

Well, less meaningless because at least your voice is being drowned in a chorus of similar voices, rather than being the lone guy begging for your state to not do ridiculous, right-wing poo poo.

fakee: Granted, you end up doing the latter a lot these days regardless of where you live in the states.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nutranurse posted:

Well, less meaningless because at least your voice is being drowned in a chorus of similar voices, rather than being the lone guy begging for your state to not do ridiculous, right-wing poo poo.

No you see I want to vote for my own special candidate. But only for President, not for the thousands of other public offices where it's easier to get someone elected, because...just because.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

nutranurse posted:

fakee: Granted, you end up doing the latter a lot these days regardless of where you live in the states.
Naw, I think it's the same thing. The only real test for whether your voice means something is, if you suddenly reversed your position, would it make a difference? If you're in 46/50 states, it won't, at least for the presidential election.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Presidential elections don't work that way. A vote in a podunk town in the Everglades means as much as a vote in Miami.

My House district is R+4 or so though.

Sure, true enough. My point was that campaigns in '12 were so laser targeted that even large swaths of even so-called swing states were considered already locked up, at least as far as the Obama campaign was concerned.

Putin It In Mah ASS fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 6, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Naw, I think it's the same thing. The only real test for whether your voice means something is, if you suddenly reversed your position, would it make a difference? If you're in 46/50 states, it won't, at least for the presidential election.

How's it the same thing to have your state enacting policies you support rather than being in a state where you're fighting to even be taken seriously?

If I reversed my position on various political issues I'd be a regressive, so I don't think it's a bad thing that my angry voice would then be drowned out.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Install Windows posted:

Nice pseudoscientific classism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_obesity

I don't even know whats pseudo-scientific about an actual thing that is happening to people all over the world. The only remaining region of the world where obesity is not common is sub-Saharan Africa.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

nutranurse posted:

How's it the same thing to have your state enacting policies you support rather than being in a state where you're fighting to even be taken seriously?

If I reversed my position on various political issues I'd be a regressive, so I don't think it's a bad thing that my angry voice would then be drowned out.
Well, if you chose what state to live in based on your political positions, that would be an important gesture I think. But if you were born in that state (or moved there for unrelated reasons) and its policies just happen to match yours, that's nothing but luck.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nutranurse posted:

There are more things to vote for than a president every 4 years.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Install Windows posted:

Yes, and on a state level MD is not some sort of hellish republican-led wasteland. Not as blue as Colorado or Washington, sure, but not near as bad as some of its neighbors.

When I say 'blue state' I meant it on levels more than just national elections, though I understand that the term is mainly used for national elections. :shrug:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, if you chose what state to live in based on your political positions, that would be an important gesture I think. But if you were born in that state (or moved there for unrelated reasons) and its policies just happen to match yours, that's nothing but luck.

I dunno what your point is though? It's good to live in a state where its policies matches yours, otherwise you'll end up a lot more miserable. Why is this statement contentious. :v:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 6, 2014

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JT Jag posted:

"Corporations are more efficient then government"

"Ok, why"

"They just are"

Because they cut corners and don't follow the rules. It's not hard to save money when you just don't pay your workers a living wage.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

We should just burn the thread down and hope a better one rises from the ashes.
Was supposed to happen four days ago. But none of us are witty enough for a new title.

420DD Butts posted:

A lot of people oppose GMOs on the grounds that it empowers large agricultural companies to take even more control over our food system and promotes harmful practices such as monoculture. I think if they weren't essentially used to prop up a corrupt system they'd be a lot more palatable.
While true, the problem is all of this is already happening.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Install Windows posted:

Have you told the democrats this? I don't think they're aware.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Municipal/county/state elections never matter, only our effort to elect a benevolent federal nation wide savior prince is important.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

HootTheOwl posted:

While true, the problem is all of this is already happening.

Of course it's already happening, but entrenching it isn't a great idea.

hobbesmaster posted:

DnD is like shooting fish in a loving barrel.

Apparently.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

nutranurse posted:

I dunno what your point is though? It's good to live in a state where its policies matches yours, otherwise you'll end up a lot more miserable. Why is this statement contentious. :v:
My point is that most states are not competitive in any sense when it comes to the presidential election, and it really isn't something to be happy about.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

420DD Butts posted:

Apparently.

You do know you're arguing with Fishmech right?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
No I realized that incredibly quickly. Hence my mocking tone after the 3rd or 4th post.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nutranurse posted:

Yes, and on a state level MD is not some sort of hellish republican-led wasteland. Not as blue as Colorado or Washington, sure, but not near as bad as some of its neighbors.

When I say 'blue state' I meant it on levels more than just national elections, though I understand that the term is mainly used for national elections. :shrug:

I'm wearing my freeholder+town council campaign shirt from 2006, so it just keeps reminding me about lowest level elections. :v:

And here it is:

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 6, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Amergin posted:

I'll vote for Rand Paul so he can raze the government to the ground, allowing Democrats to rebuild it in a slightly efficient form, for once.

Amergin posted:

And by that I mean Rand Paul would not have the power to cause the suffering of millions any more than Obama had the power to rid the suffering of millions.

Okay help me out here, would President Rand Paul be powerless to enact his policies or would he succeed in razing the government to the ground and causing such widespread disaster and misery that Democrats sweep the next elections and rebuild the entire government in their image?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Vote every chance you get you assholes. No vote is meaningless*.

*certain state in 2000 excluded

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I strategically voted for My Balls (D) in my D+4 district for congress in a swing state, they ran against My rear end in a top hat (R) and Sweaty Taint (I) and PPP predicted a 5 point win for My Balls. Rasmussen was up on My rear end in a top hat through most of the election but seemed to switch and sweeten up on My Balls towards the end, with their last poll at D+1. I think it's because My rear end in a top hat made some bad gaffes on fiscal policy and needed to shift to the right during the primary because it was a close race against A Huge Dildo (R). Some of the adds that A Huge Dildo ran were really dirty and boy I'll tell ya My rear end in a top hat really took a pounding in the polls from them. But My rear end in a top hat can take a hit and after loosening up a bit suddenly clamped down on A Huge Dildo in a town hall style debate, I think that won the primary for them tbh.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

sugar free jazz posted:

I strategically voted for My Balls (D) in my D+4 district for congress in a swing state, they ran against My rear end in a top hat (R) and Sweaty Taint (I) and PPP predicted a 5 point win for My Balls. Rasmussen was up on My rear end in a top hat through most of the election but seemed to switch and sweeten up on My Balls towards the end, with their last poll at D+1. I think it's because My rear end in a top hat made some bad gaffes on fiscal policy and needed to shift to the right during the primary because it was a close race against A Huge Dildo (R). Some of the adds that A Huge Dildo ran were really dirty and boy I'll tell ya My rear end in a top hat really took a pounding in the polls from them. But My rear end in a top hat can take a hit and after loosening up a bit suddenly clamped down on A Huge Dildo in a town hall style debate, I think that won the primary for them tbh.

:wow:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

sugar free jazz posted:

Are you Trey Parker or Matt Stone? Be honest!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

sugar free jazz posted:

My rear end in a top hat made some bad gaffes

I laughed.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

"Corporations are more efficient then government"

"Ok, why"

"They just are"

Point out to libertarians that these corporations are not run as free markets but as command economies employing what is essentially a communist mode of production, and watch their heads explode.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I almost registered Republican to vote for Larry SECEDE Kilgore in the Texas primary election this year.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
So apparently all the fracking in Oklahoma is causing a huge uptick in earthquakes. The number of 3.0+ earthquakes has risen from <5 a year to more than a hundred a year and it's still increasing rapidly. They've already had more in the first 5 months of this year than in all of 2013, and the USGS just issued an earthquake warning in the state. That's the first time that has ever happened anywhere besides the west coast states.

ooooops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis