Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
NoCleanSinging is a great blog to follow.

I mostly just go on RYM though. If you find a good friend group who write good reviews, it's a great site. I've found lots of stuff on there. Users like CrushDepth and Noktorn write very in-depth reviews (Noktorn is a little batshit, or rather was, since he was apparently on serious drugs and has cleaned up his act), TheTrueMithrandir has great lists, etc.

I agree with a lot of what ANUS says, I think a lot of people do, but their total closed-mindedness to anything tainted by "rock" or "nu-metal" or "metalcore" is also an extreme I want to get away from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I think Anus is full of poo poo. :v:

I never liked the tone of anything on that site, it all comes across like it's trying too hard to be a True Metal Badass or some stupid poo poo.

Gamma Nerd posted:

I mostly just go on RYM though. If you find a good friend group who write good reviews, it's a great site. I've found lots of stuff on there. Users like CrushDepth and Noktorn write very in-depth reviews (Noktorn is a little batshit, or rather was, since he was apparently on serious drugs and has cleaned up his act), TheTrueMithrandir has great lists, etc.

CrushDepth knows his death metal. Thanks for the recommendation.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Yezuklisto, UrbanIndustry and DeathShrike also know a ton of death metal, and HamburgerBoy is my go-to for finding tech thrash and 90's prog metal. Strugatsky has some really weird black metal finds.

Yeah, ton of cool users on that place. Also, their metal thread is great in general.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 6, 2014

impvnity
Apr 28, 2014

okvltist.

p4vl posted:

Can anyone recommend a review site or board that isn't utterly batshit? Most of the place I used to go to talk metal are either shut down or have turned into a bunch of friends with inside jokes.

come to SMN. It's a pretty tight knit community however.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

p4vl posted:

I found myself agreeing with a lot of his statements about the current state of metal: modern metal is crap, metal has become a uniform and a marketing niche to be pandered to, metal has had Quality Control issues since the mid-90's, there is too much loving metal being released (yes, agreeing with him is the first sign of something in my brain breaking).

lmao

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Gamma Nerd posted:

I agree with a lot of what ANUS says, I think a lot of people do, but their total closed-mindedness to anything tainted by "rock" or "nu-metal" or "metalcore" is also an extreme I want to get away from.

:lol:

Dude, literally everything on anus is overly pretentious horseshit to the point I've always wondered if it's really just a very subtle parody site.

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

One thousand credits is my humble price
The new Dead Congregation loving owns owns owns. You all should listen to it right now.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Fenrir posted:

:lol:

Dude, literally everything on anus is overly pretentious horseshit to the point I've always wondered if it's really just a very subtle parody site.

Their reviews are loving pompous garbage, but a lot of their metal canon is amazing (same with Enemite, Dead can Dance, Klaus Schulze, etc.) The fact that they view metal as a modern equivalent to classical music is also sort of silly, but I like that they value their albums having explicit cohesion as an album, analogous to movements in a symphony, and cohesion within songs through development of motifs.

Most of the stuff in their hate section is equally overwrought, but there are some really good points buried under all that. The Meshuggah one in particular is very a very succinct description of why I can't stand them.

It's not a site I take too seriously, but they do hold some viewpoints of value.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 6, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm guessing some of those articles are yours? I literally can't imagine any other reason why someone would defend that horrible site.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Uh, no? I think you're misreading what I said.

I've never even talked to anyone with an account on there. I dislike the site as a whole, but I think some of its opinions have merit, and some of the albums it canonizes are ones that I revisit often. That's all there is to it :shobon:

Anyways, does anyone here happen to know about the band Blood Incantation? They look quite interesting, but they have pretty much zero online presence. It looks like their newest demo contains previews of a studio album, but I have no idea when that's gonna be out. And they don't have a bandcamp or anything like that. I'd like to listen to their stuff, but I can't even track down a casette.

Is there anyone who knows anything about this band, plans for an album release, etc.?

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I really miss Teufel's Tomb :(.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Fenrir posted:

I'm guessing some of those articles are yours? I literally can't imagine any other reason why someone would defend that horrible site.

ANUS has been around for absolutely ages and for a while was one of the only places that listed bands or had reviews. The reviews might be the least concise brainleaks you'll ever read (more words = better album), but to deny that Prozak et al actually have decent taste in death metal etc is to be obtuse simply because you dislike them.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

ANUS has been around for absolutely ages and for a while was one of the only places that listed bands or had reviews. The reviews might be the least concise brainleaks you'll ever read (more words = better album), but to deny that Prozak et al actually have decent taste in death metal etc is to be obtuse simply because you dislike them.

These were the guys that hated Death and DESPISED Chuck Schuldiner right?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

http://www.anus.com/etc/dimebag/

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i fucken love geocities

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Shamed posted:

The new Dead Congregation loving owns owns owns. You all should listen to it right now.

Can't wait for my copy to arrive. I feel like we've been spoiled for death metal this year.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

p4vl posted:

Then you read his album reviews and apparently everyone he doesn't care for is playing rock music. Deathspell Omega is rock, Entombed's Clandestine is a rock album.

the rock music thing seems to be something to do with how he views certain complex song structures(hosed if i know exactly what) as inherent to metal, so bands that sound 'metal' but don't have those are relegated to rock music, and are bad.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I never liked the tone of anything on that site, it all comes across like it's trying too hard to be a True Metal Badass or some stupid poo poo.
true metal fascist is probably more accurate, since the dude spends all day talking about how the best metal was made by people disgusted with the modern world and the vague references to Nietzsche and the articles that talk about the decline of the west and how multiculturalism is bad. he's not a straight up nazi though, more of an Evolan or some other kind of radical traditionalist or whatever they're calling themselves now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lencho posted:

I really miss Teufel's Tomb :(.

That's the one! I was trying to think of that site - didn't a goon write reviews for it?

Great place.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

New Agalloch: The NPR stream plays it as one giant chunk so I don't actually know how the tracks work out, but I think I need to hear a clearer version before I can make a definite judgement. Parts of it sound all over the place and I'm not sure if it's the stream or just a new direction :v:

That said I definitely liked parts of it instantly which is a good sign. I love their albums but it has always taken me some time to get into them.

p4vl posted:

Then you read his album reviews and apparently everyone he doesn't care for is playing rock music. Deathspell Omega is rock, Entombed's Clandestine is a rock album.

One of the things that really bugs me about the metal scene is using "Metal" as a synonym for "good". I missed out on so much good music in my "serious about metal" phase because the community outright rejects other genres and makes you feel bad for liking them.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

I saw Leechfeast, Sabbath Assembly and Uzala last night and without knowing what to expect, it was one of the coolest shows I've seen in a while. Except the Anciients show from a while back, of course. It was great to see Sabbath Assembly with Jamie Myers, although it would've been fun to see Jex again live because of her awesome stage presence. Even though it was a really small venue, all the instruments came out really clearly and they had great atmosphere. Uzala was also surprisingly good, despite some technical difficulties.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

New Agalloch: The NPR stream plays it as one giant chunk so I don't actually know how the tracks work out, but I think I need to hear a clearer version before I can make a definite judgement.

There is an option to play individual songs if you click around a bit. It lets you add separate songs to the playlist.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

New Agalloch: The NPR stream plays it as one giant chunk so I don't actually know how the tracks work out, but I think I need to hear a clearer version before I can make a definite judgement. Parts of it sound all over the place and I'm not sure if it's the stream or just a new direction :v:

That's how I feel about it. I definitely hear potential, but parts of it sound so muddy because of the stream, that I can't tell what's going on. But in general it feels a little meandering - doesn't grab me as instantly as Marrow of the Spirit did, but I'm sure it will grow on me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Caught the Paganfest tour last night - overall everyone was good minus Turisas who I cant loving stand. It was the first time for me hearing Chthonic and they had a solid set and some full on "Dani Filth" screams. Still tons of dates left it looks like so check it out.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Only listened through once but I thought the second last track on the new Agalloch would have been a ripper of a track if some vocals had been thrown in. First impression is its not bad, just a bit boring at times and falls short of The Mantle.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

AgentJotun posted:

just a bit boring at times and falls short of The Mantle.

This is true of any album that exists and isn't The Mantle, imo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You have a weird way of typing Pale Folklore.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Now I know what it's like to have powdered glass sprayed in my eyes.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Vintersorg posted:

Caught the Paganfest tour last night - overall everyone was good minus Turisas who I cant loving stand. It was the first time for me hearing Chthonic and they had a solid set and some full on "Dani Filth" screams. Still tons of dates left it looks like so check it out.

Caught them years ago on, I think, their first round of dates in the US. They were really nice, gracious folks when they came and hung out after for a while so I've been looking forward to seeing them again.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

http://www.deathmetal.org/article/why-metal-will-never-be-understood-and-never-wants-to-be/

This is the most pretentious horseshit I have ever read.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
anus.com is pseudo-intellectual nonsense that takes great pride in using really big words to express stupid opinions. Reading anus.com for interesting observations on metal is like reading bitcointalk for detailed analysis of the global economy.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Gaggins posted:

I guess remaster isn't accurate. They re-played the album with their modern sound, which got rid of everything that made the original special. And they had Hellhammer play drums, which is a bit interesting in parts but also adds robotic blast-beats and poo poo like that. I don't remember if they did anything with the orchestra sound, it came out a while ago and I've never wanted to listed to it again.

I came away feeling that Hellhammer was trying really hard to slow things down and halfway through he just said 'gently caress it you guys try to keep up with me'. I don't remember them doing anything orchestral, I just remember Hellhammer drumming and the rest of the band not really keeping up very well.

(Also holy goddamn poo poo I'm loving the new Triptykon.)

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
DMU has some interesting points and principles that are generally applied more inconsistently the more recent the music is. There are some obvious things, such as the pro-Texan bias, and some perplexing ones such as covering five Ancient releases, Dawn's debut but not Slaughtersun, and a brief review entailing Mutiilation's decline yet not covering their first album.

Of all the things on the site to call the most pretentious, you pick that? I pick this:

"The second on the other hand builds quietly from a nearly pastoral origin to a peaceful state of mind that then like a dragon rising from the mist turns to fire and warfare in the tumultuous and restive finale. Beginning with a gentle interweaving of naturalistic themes, the first movement assembles them in a style not dissimilar to the riff sequencing of Celtic Frost or Incantation, a type of prismatic construction that excels in placing repetitive in sequences interrupted from within such that each recurrence is a return with new knowledge to a familiar theme and thus an expansion instead of a reiteration."

http://www.deathmetal.org/news/sadistic-metal-reviews-03-12-14/

There's a dead accurate Skeletonwitch in the same article though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I don't see how that site is any more overwrought or stupid than essentially any other metal site or writing on the subject.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
gently caress that guy, Skeletonwitch is awesome

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

hellocruelworld posted:

stupid opinions.

Meshuggah are writing rhythmic circles with almost nothing of interest melodically going on, Skeletonwitch is candy-coated and predictable, central theme is the backbone of a good album: those are stupid opinions?

Also that review of The Satanist was pretty accurate tbh

In other news, I just checked out Dornenreich and they're rad as hell. Kinda awkward vocals and song structures, but Nicht Um Zu Sterben has some of the best black metal riffs I've ever heard.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 7, 2014

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

http://www.deathmetal.org/news/sadistic-metal-reviews-03-12-14/

There's a dead accurate Skeletonwitch in the same article though.

I'm not sure how a paragraph long review that spends a sentence and a half critiquing what the music actually, you know, sounds like can be described as accurate. The Nasum review right above it is actually a lot better - as someone who has never listened to them I can still form an idea of what their sound is and whether or not I might like them. By contrast show that Skeletonwitch review to someone who has never heard of them and they'll just come away with the idea that it's fake tough guy metal for teens who shop at Hot Topic.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

You're talking about a website that calls Behemoth metalcore and bloviates about "true metal" and "poseurs" (as if anyone could be more of a "poseur" than them). Why is anyone still taking these douchebags seriously?

Gamma Nerd posted:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gamma Nerd posted:

Meshuggah are writing rhythmic circles with almost nothing of interest melodically going on, Skeletonwitch is candy-coated and predictable, central theme is the backbone of a good album: those are stupid opinions?

I always thought the backbone of a good album was having good songs on it, but what do I know.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

In other news, I just checked out Dornenreich and they're rad as hell. Kinda awkward vocals and song structures, but Nicht Um Zu Sterben has some of the best black metal riffs I've ever heard.

It really sounds like everyone here hasn't listened to the last Skeletonwitch album, which ruled, especially More Cruel Than Weak (which is one of the best album closing songs I've heard in awhile) and I am Death. It's just fun to listen to.

Meshuggah you have to be in the mood for and pretty much listen to the whole album. They don't write singles. I personally love it and have been following their progression since Destroy Erase Improve.

A lot of people on here seem to be trying too hard to show they have serious metal cred, I.e. only liking stuff if no inauthentic metal fans do, which is pretty annoying. We were all those nerds who didn't know anything at one point.

I mean, I love Soilwork and also have a copy of Sol Niger Within, you too can like rare stuff AND something that more than 5,000 people have listened to.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So during "good death metal Friday" a few pages back somebody posted Hooded Menace and Acid Witch. I've been really liking these two bands and would like suggestions for other similar stuff. Death-doom, I guess? Slow tempo, dark catchy riffs, and growled vocals. Horror themed is also a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

caiman posted:

So during "good death metal Friday" a few pages back somebody posted Hooded Menace and Acid Witch. I've been really liking these two bands and would like suggestions for other similar stuff. Death-doom, I guess? Slow tempo, dark catchy riffs, and growled vocals. Horror themed is also a plus.

Winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi2REgByOqs

Coffins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYRnx2LsF48

Autopsy and Asphyx are more obvious choices, but both have written some pretty grimy doomy stuff.