Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

ulvir posted:

It's pretty amusing to see areas littered with blood stains.

This one is my personal favorite, besides the one bloodstain where someone's ghost was taken for a ride in front of unassuming chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What is the best "shooty" faith spell? The throwing spear from getting 30 sunbro tokens?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Broken Cog posted:

Punch her floating curse balls.

Seriously.

Foxhound posted:

Basically, you have to stab the little wisps of dark smoke one at a time. They die in one hit (but can't be targeted and doesn't make any sound when you hit them). So basically dash in, knock one out before it curses you, and then let your curse gauge fall before you take out another. Taking out two should give you enough play room to swing at Nashandra.

Of course, if you summon player phantoms they can kill the wisps really quick (unless they are assholes who just stand at the door and shoot lightning spears forever, making an easy fight not just easier but super boring for the host too).

david... posted:

Balls Balls Balls.

... Thanks, I can't believe I was stupid enough to not try attacking them; I thought because they weren't targettable they wouldn't be affected :v:

And there we go:

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I am the worst bluecop. Today I killed my host by doorway blocking and scared another by appearing round a corner such that he suddenly messed up a jump and died. Also got chumpstabbed by an invader using the White ring. I'm not about to give up patrolling though.

Any general tips for getting bites on NG+, SM 3.7M?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

What is the best "shooty" faith spell? The throwing spear from getting 30 sunbro tokens?

Sunlight Spear is the best single-target damage spell for Faith users, yes, in terms of pure damage. Great Lightning Spear is "better," however, in the sense that it can be used significantly more times than Sunlight Spear (there's three copies in the game and they only take one slot compared to Sunlight Spear's two). Sunlight Spear is great for bosses or HP sponge creatures, but I prefer Great Lightning Spear for other things.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Foxhound posted:

Uh I think they meant that if you fall X distance you take Y% of your max life as damage, implying that at a certain height you'd take 100%+ of your max hp as damage.

Yeah this is how it worked in DeS and dark souls 1. Does it really not work that way anymore? I've taken the well fall with a cat ring and 7 VGR.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I want to PVP with my poison ranger guy, but I don't want to wait around for it to happen (i'd rather it happen while I'm playing). Other than the bell bros (which I've already done a bunch of) what other covenants should I look for?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Vermain posted:

Sunlight Spear is the best single-target damage spell for Faith users, yes, in terms of pure damage. Great Lightning Spear is "better," however, in the sense that it can be used significantly more times than Sunlight Spear (there's three copies in the game and they only take one slot compared to Sunlight Spear's two). Sunlight Spear is great for bosses or HP sponge creatures, but I prefer Great Lightning Spear for other things.

There's a second copy of Sunlight Spear?! :gonk:

edit: nm I misread

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 9, 2014

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Dirty Job posted:

I want to PVP with my poison ranger guy, but I don't want to wait around for it to happen (i'd rather it happen while I'm playing). Other than the bell bros (which I've already done a bunch of) what other covenants should I look for?

The rat bros are calling you, poison brother.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dirty Job posted:

If you just want to fight other people, Red and Blue arenas are generally pretty quick. If you're looking for something more interesting, Belfry is the best you get.

Dragons on Iron Keep bridge get summoned pretty frequently. Just head over there and see if you see any signs. You don't even need to be a dragon yourself. Just summon other people.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Kiggles posted:

Dragons on Iron Keep bridge get summoned pretty frequently. Just head over there and see if you see any signs. You don't even need to be a dragon yourself. Just summon other people.

I love dueling the Dragon Covenant. Sometimes they'll just goof off with me too. Hehehe.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Dirty Job posted:

poison ranger

Tell me more

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Does it count as Sin if the bluecops die from OSHA violations?

I wish I had the patience to round up a nice pile of corpses and then lure invaders for a Dead Again bomb. It's amazing for the Royal Rats and Skeleton Lords. Soul Appease works on the rats as well, cast that and then immediately cast Dead Again. If DA goes off before the rats vanish you get the explosions from them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kiggles posted:

If you just want to fight other people, Red and Blue arenas are generally pretty quick.

I don't know about pretty quick. With both of my characters (one in post-game NG+ and the other just beat drangleic) I need to sit there for a few minutes before I get a hit. Why couldn't they make the blood seal just put you in queue for duels? :(

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hmmm I didn't realize you got this set: http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/black-dragon-set from rank 2 in that covenant because it's not mentioned on the covenant wiki pages. I now have a reason to join dragon covenant!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Molnija posted:

I wish I had the patience to round up a nice pile of corpses and then lure invaders for a Dead Again bomb. It's amazing for the Royal Rats and Skeleton Lords. Soul Appease works on the rats as well, cast that and then immediately cast Dead Again. If DA goes off before the rats vanish you get the explosions from them.

Lure the hollows in FoFG toward the first bonfire and kill them around there. It'll be a bit of a choke point and you can sit back by the bonfire like you're AFK or something. You can even lure the Hollow that are up by the Heide Knight down the ladder if you need more boom.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

pmchem posted:

hmmm I didn't realize you got this set: http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/black-dragon-set from rank 2 in that covenant because it's not mentioned on the covenant wiki pages. I now have a reason to join dragon covenant!

It's less a set and more of an ability, go-go dragon rangers!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
It's actually better to just use the headstone because then you get some new fashion souls options without locking you out of all other armors until the next time you MISTAKENLY ROLL OFF THE CROWS NEST IN YOUR NO-DEATH-NO-BONFIRE RUN.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I'm assuming that some monsters just stop respawning after you kill them repeatedly a bunch of times? Because I've got several missing hollows now, especially near certain bonfires.

Also holy poo poo this game has a lot of bosses.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Office Thug posted:

I'm assuming that some monsters just stop respawning after you kill them repeatedly a bunch of times? Because I've got several missing hollows now, especially near certain bonfires.

Also holy poo poo this game has a lot of bosses.

All monsters aside from bosses will die for good after a certain number of times in general.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What is the best place for sunbroing at 2.4m SM?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Okay I'm two hours in and I'm getting the hang of it I think, currently using a Rapier with an offhand short sword. I'm at the second bonfire in the Forest of Frogtten Giants, figured out how to level up, and I'm the classs that starts a with two weapons so I have a shitload of DEX. I'm supposed to be to do power stance by holding (Y) but it's not working, even with two daggers. Also there is a boss on a platform, that comes down on a bird, should I be able to beat it? Help

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

WYA posted:

Okay I'm two hours in and I'm getting the hang of it I think, currently using a Rapier with an offhand short sword. I'm at the second bonfire in the Forest of Frogtten Giants, figured out how to level up, and I'm the classs that starts a with two weapons so I have a shitload of DEX. I'm supposed to be to do power stance by holding (Y) but it's not working, even with two daggers. Also there is a boss on a platform, that comes down on a bird, should I be able to beat it? Help

Powerstancing requires 1.5 of the stats required to use it so 15 str for a 10 str sword etc, the boss that drops down on that platform will be back later in a 'proper' boss form so don't worry about beating him there if you're not ready yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ulvir posted:

It's pretty amusing to see areas littered with blood stains. It just shows how little attention some people pay to their surroundings. The road leading down past the boulders in Tseldora :allears:

This is why I love shrine of anime. Every inch of it has a bloodstain of someone dieing, and every time you get to watch a phantom trundle along before plunging down into the depths of the lake. It never stops being funny.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

armor sets - if you could upgrade one armor set with twinkling titanite what would it be?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Wanna see bloodstains? Go to darklurker :pwn:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

pmchem posted:

armor sets - if you could upgrade one armor set with twinkling titanite what would it be?

If I was melee and didn't want to look different from everyone else? Havel's.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

This is why I love shrine of anime. Every inch of it has a bloodstain of someone dieing, and every time you get to watch a phantom trundle along before plunging down into the depths of the lake. It never stops being funny.

My favorite is finding bloodstains in an area without monsters. I once found one in front of a chest that turned out to be someone that had missed an enemy while adventuring and ended up getting backstabbed because they pulled it from really far away.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

WYA posted:

I'm supposed to be to do power stance by holding (Y) but it's not working, even with two daggers.
To enter power stance you need have 1.5x the required stats of your equipped weapons. So if a weapon requires 10 strength to wield one-handed, you'll need at least 15 strength.
Also the weapon types of the two weapons you have equipped need to be compatible, but two daggers work with eachother.

WYA posted:

Also there is a boss on a platform, that comes down on a bird, should I be able to beat it?
That boss is doable at that point if you're good at dodging, but don't worry if you ran away or you died. You'll meet him again soon enough.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 9, 2014

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009

Ulvirich posted:

This one is my personal favorite, besides the one bloodstain where someone's ghost was taken for a ride in front of unassuming chest.

How can so many people die in that spot? The enemy isn't really that hard right there?

My favorite bloodstains are the ones that show people rolling off cliffs :downsbravo:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ComaPrison posted:

It goes OVER 100% range (in either direction) if you're both using the same God with the name-engraved ring. The calculators on the wiki are completely wrong when it comes to name-engraved ring. I matched up with a 6 million SM friend when I was almost 13 million.

Literally the first I've ever heard of such a thing. I'll try something similar later today.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Orcrez posted:

How can so many people die in that spot? The enemy isn't really that hard right there?

My favorite bloodstains are the ones that show people rolling off cliffs :downsbravo:

Most people are really really bad. Especially in the early areas. see: the billions of bloodstains in the mansion basement.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The bridge leading up to Lost Sinner was loving coated in the bloodstains of people just being stupid and falling off. I thought something nasty was waiting for me but nope people are just dumb.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Raygereio posted:

To enter power stance you need have 1.5x the required stats of your equipped weapons. So if a weapon requires 10 strength to wield one-handed, you'll need at least 15 strength.
Also the weapon types of the two weapons you have equipped need to be compatible, but two daggers work with eachother.

That boss is doable at that point if you're good at dodging, but don't worry if you ran away or you died. You'll meet him again soon enough.

Thanks.

Can someone tell me what Praise the Sun means? These notes keep telling me to do it. Speaking of notes, there's a lot of lazy spelling mistakes, it's like the developers got children to write them. I guess it's part of the atmosphere

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Orcrez posted:

Yeah this one confuses the hell out of me. First time I went down there I thought some super tough enemy was gonna be right around the corner, then its just the same knight you've killed a dozen times by now. I have no idea how people manage to get killed by that knight when you have to kill a bunch of them to get there and he's not any harder. You don't even have to fight him.

More bloodstain fun;

Follow the dead body road.

WYA posted:

Thanks.

Can someone tell me what Praise the Sun means? These notes keep telling me to do it. Speaking of notes, there's a lot of lazy spelling mistakes, it's like the developers got children to write them. I guess it's part of the atmosphere

Its a reference to Dark Souls 1. There was a very popular character in that game who was obsessed with the sun, and he ran a covenant known as the Sunlight Warriors. Praise the Sun! was the motto of that covenant and is basically just used as a generic positive message by the community.

VVV so many of the cool weapons can only be found in the late game :(

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 9, 2014

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Just backtracked and discovered the helix halberd, how did I miss a giant axe with a hidden syringe. :allears: I love the weapon choice in this.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

WYA posted:

Can someone tell me what Praise the Sun means?
It doesn't really mean anything. It's a reference to a phrase from Dark Souls 1 that became something a meme.

Yodzilla posted:

The bridge leading up to Lost Sinner was loving coated in the bloodstains of people just being stupid and falling off. I thought something nasty was waiting for me but nope people are just dumb.
Last time I was there I saw several messages telling people that there's an item ahead and that they should try jumping. I guess a lot of people followed that advice?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Just backtracked and discovered the helix halberd, how did I miss a giant axe with a hidden syringe. :allears: I love the weapon choice in this.

Shame it seems to be absolute garbage. I liked the concept, but I couldn't get it to work in either PvE or PvP.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Internet Kraken posted:

I think its important to remember that on release, Dark Souls featured a ring that so long as you were at medium weight, allowed you to use an improved fast roll. If you put in just enough vit to get down to the mid roll you could be cartwheeling in Havel's. This was eventually changed because of how horribly broken it was.

And let's not forget the Crystal Ring Shield at release. You could literally one-shot everything in the Tomb of Giants without even upgrading it.

That went along very well with the Havelflipping Wogtwoppers.

Oh, and, speaking of bloodstains...

After you take the ship to Lost Bastille, there are dozens of bloodstains showing people just jumping into the water - like, not even accidentally running off the ledge or the dock. They just go for it like they are doing a triathalon or something. I, for the life of me, have never been able to think of ANY reason to kill yourself there.

There are no enemies, no merchants, and an elevator is literally the only thing between you and the bonfire in the corridor.

....why do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

There's one spot in Aldia's Keep, a chest on the right at the very top of the main foyer area just past the caged basilisk. As you look down that little alcove, you see a chest at the end, so of course, you go to take a look. And there are... bloodstains. Not just one or two, but six. Eight. Twelve. That's usually a sign of bad things, especially this far into the game.

On your left, some boarded up windows. Light streams through them - there's the rest of the world on the other side of those boards. Those bloodstains mean there are probably enemies there, waiting to ambush you. Slowly, carefully walking towards that chest, shield up, ready for the trap.

Reaching the chest - nothing's happened yet. Must be the chest, either it's trapped or you open it and get ambushed. You flip it open... no trap. Look behind you - nothing. Grab the item, start heading back, past all the bloodstains, thinking "when's it gonna happen?". End of the alcove and... nothing.

You tap one of the bloodstains.

Twelve people all dying to the loving basilisk in the cage :negative: