Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Miracle Mouse is still being made. I thought that dream was dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noyemi K posted:

Hey now, they made videos, too. This one and "stress relief" are my favourites (please laugh).

Oh yeah, and much like doobie, he tried to tweet to his idols to get some responses and traffic. As if a massive celebrity would return his tweets.

The more I hear about these guys the more I suspect that they're some type of longform Dadaist art project like horse_ebooks.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Ernest Borgnine isn't listed in the cast anymore. I guess they decided not to use his audio now, and it was one of his last performances too. :smith:

And any appeal the film might have had is gone too.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Holy crap, can goons help me to make sure I'm not insane and people around me are retarded?

I made a kickstarter & an Indiegogo campaign as jokes with no intention of them getting funded. Basically just something to give my friends a laugh and be done with it. Problem is, everyone that's seen them are like "That's actually an amazing idea! You should do it!". They're not just blowing smoke up my rear end either because my general response is " are you retarded?"

Backstory after the links, but keep in mind, in no way am I soliciting for anyone to back these. I fully expect them to fail . I just need to know I'm not losing my mind, and poo poo I threw together in half an hour is actually a bad idea.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/600711220/date-my-friend-a-practical-joke-gone-horribly-righ

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tap-that-rear end-nfc-underwear-for-strippers/x/7374749

Now the backstory of why this came about.

My friend Mike is a dateless loser. We both work in advertising. So to gently caress with him I keep telling him I'm going to come up with more elaborate ways to get him dates. And then end up doing horrible things to him.

I used Google Adwords to display ads saying "Hello Ladies: Date Mike, thick or thin, he'll put it in" when people searched for eating disorders (I'll edit in a pic when I get to the computer that has it) and linked them to his Facebook account. I broadcast over a Toronto radio station that he can't get a date. I was actually a finalist to win a billboard until my company made me pull out due to it being a conflict of interest. I then set up the kickstarter as one last "We're totally going to get you that billboard!!" As well as threaten that I'm going to make him do things like go to a Bronycon And then everyone laughs that he has zero funding, the end.

To entertain myself more, I decided to write the really creepy indiegogo to see which would get more funding (but not expecting either to get any). I just wanted to be like "Hahaha, more people want to make creepy robot stripper underwear than help you find love". I mean for the love of God, the $10,000 reward is just used stripper underwear!

But here's where things get weird in that everyone at work and my friends are all like "This is amazing and you should totally do it!!" In complete seriousness. Luckily none of them contributed anything. But still am I insane? To me one of the ideas is just me being an rear end in a top hat, and the other is just a joke so I can continue to laugh at the idea that I'm being a complete rear end in a top hat.

Finally, if by some miracle either thing did end up getting funded I could actually pull them off (more the billboard than the underwear). I actually did work out real budgets to be safe if I ever had to follow through. But under no circumstances did I actually think either was a "good" idea.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I think you're severely overthinking this joke.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

no

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Yes, you are insane for not wanting free money.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The indiegogo idea is creative, but the major flaw is that dancers generally take their clothes off. If you could find a way to embed that NFC reader in a strip of adhesive opaque plastic, they could use that in lieu of a c-string. Put it on the butt, that way dudes have an excuse to circumvent the "no touching" rule in a nonthreatening manner. Setting up a battery powered NFC and then tucking it into a pocket in a latex thong could also work, maybe.

Do clubs in Canada have a no touching rule? I also don't recall if you're allowed to go full nude in establishments that sell alcohol. Have you ran this by any dancers? They'd definitely be the first folks to talk to, if I were in your shoes.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

bvoid posted:

I think you're severely overthinking this joke.

Overthinking the joke, no. Overthinking people's reaction because they think it's actually a good idea, yes. That was the entire point of the post.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

It's not like there's no precedent for taking everyone's money and then just taking everyone's money on KS or IGG, so... free money I guess?

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
In everyone's lives, there are a handful of people who will always tell you emphatically to "go for it" when you present them with tentative ideas and plans. You are apparently surrounded by these people. Take note of whoever said that you should do either project seriously and remember to ignore their advice in the future.

Don't let that hinder you from making fake kickstarters, though. It's a ripe venue for making fun of the dumb poo poo people will throw money at and drat if we all haven't been tempted to throw together fake projects for an anime-themed hot pocket branding iron or spray-on vibram 5-finger running shoes.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
If you want free Kickstarter money you should setup one of those Scanbox/Foldio mini studios after the iPhone 6 is released, end of this year. It's tried and tested and doesn't require any appreciable amount of effort or start-up capital.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

woosp wrong thread

COBRARocky has a new favorite as of 13:47 on May 9, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FrozenVent posted:

Still not seeing how that can possibly come up to 3000 pounds. AKA a motherfucking ton and a half.

Also if someone could point me towards a belt with a 3000 pounds breaking stress... Kevlar, I guess?

He mentions tradesmen or other construction workers. I'd suggest that you wouldn't want a nearly unbreakable belt because there's a significant safety risk in getting your belt caught in a machine or something, and then instead of the belt breaking and you get free, it is unbreakable and you get TORN IN HALF. A lot of safety planning is based around something else getting destroyed instead of you.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I really don't fuckin' get the tops one.

Like tops. They just... spin. Like the toys children played with back before we had good toys for children. And they like START at 35 bucks. And they're way overfunded.

And they're "every day carry." Like you grab your phone, your wallet, your keys, and your... top? In case you just NEED to spin a top somewhere?

The world doesn't make any sense anymore. Someone please tell me the kickstarter for the tops is actually a front for like some sort of drug money laundering so the world can makes sense to me again, tia.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's conspicuous consumption. This is the unironic version of the mason jar pencil sharpener.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There also happened to be a very popular film released a few years ago in which a perfectly spinning metal top was a major plot point.

EDIT: I can't believe two Beyblade jokes just happened simultaneously.

Blast Fantasto has a new favorite as of 19:43 on May 9, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blast Fantasto posted:

There also happened to be a very popular film released a few years ago in which a perfectly spinning metal top was a major plot point.

I wouldn't call Beyblade the Movie: Fierce Battle "very" popular but I'm sure it has a lot of loyal fans.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

I too remember the Beyblade movie.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

FrozenVent posted:

Please explain what use cases you can think of where a belt buckle with a 3000+ lbs breaking strain "might actually be useful", thank you.

Sometimes you need to tow a car and there's nothing for miles but you and your belt!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Chaos Motor posted:

Sometimes you need to tow a car and there's nothing for miles but you and your belt!

How are you going to tow a car with your pants around your ankles, though?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

How are you going to tow a car with your pants around your ankles, though?

That's why you need to back for two belts, at the very least.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
It's not just a trope, it's a necessity of modern life. I can't tell you how many times I've had multiple cars to tow, and I was like, dang, I need more belts.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

He has money to burn. He'll keep this going.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Otisburg posted:

I really don't fuckin' get the tops one.

Like tops. They just... spin. Like the toys children played with back before we had good toys for children. And they like START at 35 bucks. And they're way overfunded.

And they're "every day carry." Like you grab your phone, your wallet, your keys, and your... top? In case you just NEED to spin a top somewhere?
Nerds.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If you were already a few blocks from home and realized you forgot your "everyday carry" steel top, would you turn around and go home to make sure you had it for the day ahead?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Psh, haha, yeah, like they're going to miss such a crucial step in their daily loadout. Nobody that anal retentive forgets things.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
also if you're that desperate for a metal spinning top, you can already get one on ebay, alibaba or dealextreme for like a tenth of the price of the kickstarted ones

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

also if you're that desperate for a metal spinning top, you can already get one on ebay, alibaba or dealextreme for like a tenth of the price of the kickstarted ones

But would it be EXPERTLY MACHINED AND BALANCED or what the gently caress ever he's using as a selling point? I think not!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Otisburg posted:

If you were already a few blocks from home and realized you forgot your "everyday carry" steel top, would you turn around and go home to make sure you had it for the day ahead?

Of course you walk the gently caress back. What if the Mad Spinnerz Crue from the other side of town challenge you to a throw down? How you gonna reprazent your boys if you ain't got your precision milled ceramic-point bitch-killa top? Well, smart guy?

You think they're called EDC for nothing? Psssshaw. :colbert:

STEP TO US, BITCH

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 17:25 on May 10, 2014

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I took a look at that top kickstarter, and it's even dumber than you guys said. It's not $35 for one of those tops - it's $35 for a miniature version shaped like a dreidel. The tops shown in that pitch video are $90 themselves. That's an absurd price for a top.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
One might say they're charging top dollar.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Just Winging It posted:

:drat:

And $90 for a loving top? :wtc:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

:drat:

And $90 for a loving top? :wtc:

It's not rare to see metal yoyo's sold for over twice that, especially hand machined ones. I'm looking at one right now that's listed, at retail, for $650.

More than I'd be comfortable paying, but it's not all that unheard of a price.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
So you guys realize Kickstarter isn't a storefront, right? You're not "buying" a top, you're backing the project and getting a top as a reward. Complaining about the cost of the reward tier is like complaining that the tote bag you get from PBS isn't worth the $60 you have to donate to get it. Of course it's not! You can buy the tote bag for $10 in a store if you want, but that isn't the point. The point is to support a project.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Chaos Motor posted:

So you guys realize Kickstarter isn't a storefront, right? You're not "buying" a top, you're backing the project and getting a top as a reward. Complaining about the cost of the reward tier is like complaining that the tote bag you get from PBS isn't worth the $60 you have to donate to get it. Of course it's not! You can buy the tote bag for $10 in a store if you want, but that isn't the point. The point is to support a project.

jesus christ I wish this post would die forever

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Top patronage.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Just Winging It posted:

Yeah, but they put a different spin on an old product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Remora posted:

jesus christ I wish this post would die forever

Ugh things being different than other things affects me personally and just MAKES ME MAD