Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Americans are the dumbest loving people on earth, is what I make of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I don't think democrats are screwed because of polling, but more because of which seats are up in this election and the nature of midterm elections. Yes, the GOP is likely to increase their lead in the house and maybe even grab the senate. And they will take interpret that as a mandate on their policies. If you aren't expecting that then you're being naive.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Jagchosis posted:

Americans are the dumbest loving people on earth, is what I make of it.

"Hey, remember those guys who wrecked the global economy with their faith-based economics, got us involved in incredibly expensive unwinnable quagmire wars that killed thousands of our citizens and bankrupted the country, shut down the government out of pure spite and did enormous damage to our long-term scientific research and experiments, laugh at the unemployed, and have in every way possible made it very clear that literally their only interest in the entire world is to promote policies that send as much wealth from the bottom of the pyramid to the very top? Remember them?"

"Nope. But boy, everything sure sucks. I blame Obama." >changes channel<

The very worst thing about the shellacking the Democrats look very likely to take in November is that it will 100% inarguably justify suicidally insane brinkmanship and self-destructive total obstructionism as valid political strategies for the foreseeable future. The worst people in the loving universe are about to be richly rewarded by American voters for being pure loving evil.

I don't see a lot of reason for optimism in America's future, and boy, that sure sucks.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Widespread and acute fear of Republican government will keep Democratic turnout from being too depressed, so I don't think it'll be as bad as they say. I'm not sure what difference anything will make though. Vetoing one hundred of the most sociopathic loving bills ever to cross a presidential desk, that's more than enough of a legacy for Obama to claim. If they can't tone it down, he can't sign poo poo. And why would they tone it down if they've just picked up the Senate.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

agarjogger posted:

Widespread and acute fear of Republican government will keep Democratic turnout from being too depressed, so I don't think it'll be as bad as they say. I'm not sure what difference anything will make though. Vetoing one hundred of the most sociopathic loving bills ever to cross a presidential desk, that's more than enough of a legacy for Obama to claim. If they can't tone it down, he can't sign poo poo. And why would they tone it down if they've just picked up the Senate.

I think the big things running counter to human decency with Republicunts taking the Senate are; confirmations, and passing appropriations bills. Obama needs both, and with this loving party ruling the entire legislature whatever happens is guaranteed to be worse than the political stasis that has characterized almost his entire presidency, and such stasis sadly is the best possible outcome of 2014. Also holy poo poo, if there has been a party that deserves a victory less and actually got it in U.S. history please point me to it.

Edit: vvvv Louis C.K. introduced me to that word and I fell in love with it

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 11, 2014

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Republicunts?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
All the Democrats have to campaign on is "there will be another shutdown if you continue to elect these people".

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
I'd like to say I am surprised, but I'm not.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Vetoing monstrous legislation passed by Congress is one thing, but what about annual budgets? Don't they need to be passed, or at least a continuing resolution, for the government to continue to function? They seem like prime candidates for being turned into Republican wishlists.

What about the courts, how would judges get appointed? What happens if a Supreme Court justice were to pass away or retire? Would the seat go vacant?

efb

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
gently caress you guys for depressing the poo poo out of me.

Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziHCAvMsfRs

RECIPE
======
1 Cup Water
Box of Strawberries
Packet of Strawberry Jello
3/4 Cup Tequila
1/4 Cup Triple Sec

DIRECTIONS
==========
1. Hollow out the strawberry stems to create a little cup at the top. Optionally slice the bottom tips flat so they can stand easily. Place in ice cube trays
2. Boil water and stir in jello mix
3. Turn off heat, add booze once it's cooled off a bit. Stir and pour into the strawberry hollows.
4. Place trays in fridge for 4 hours
5. Slice up lime wedges, roll strawberry rims in salt, add lime. Eat.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JonathonSpectre posted:

I don't see a lot of reason for optimism in America's future, and boy, that sure sucks.

Get good credentials and emigrate to a better country, it really is the only thing I can think of to do anymore to escape the awful horrendous shithole that seems unstoppable at this point. I want my kids to grow up with socialized medicine, sane gun laws, a good education, and without crippling debt, so the US is off the list of possibilities for any of those things, ever.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Warchicken posted:

Get good credentials and emigrate to a better country, it really is the only thing I can think of to do anymore to escape the awful horrendous shithole that seems unstoppable at this point. I want my kids to grow up with socialized medicine, sane gun laws, a good education, and without crippling debt, so the US is off the list of possibilities for any of those things, ever.

Have any suggestions for countries?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Jesus Christ, people, it's still MAY. The world has not ended yet.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jagchosis posted:

I think the big things running counter to human decency with Republicunts taking the Senate are; confirmations, and passing appropriations bills. Obama needs both, and with this loving party ruling the entire legislature whatever happens is guaranteed to be worse than the political stasis that has characterized almost his entire presidency, and such stasis sadly is the best possible outcome of 2014. Also holy poo poo, if there has been a party that deserves a victory less and actually got it in U.S. history please point me to it.

The wonderful part is that the airwaves will be flooded post-election with "centrist" commentators and pundits insisting that the result isn't about Democratic cowardice and Republican psychopathy but by the fact that Democrats need to tack further to the right. And those are the voices that the party establishment will be listening to.

Democrats are going to continue to get shellacked in off-year elections as long as they cling to the cult of the median voter and as long as they're run by the Wall Street wing of the party. Midterms are about turning out base voters, but Democratic base voters tend to be motivated primarily by bread-and-butter economic issues and not the culture war wedges and conspiracy theories that get Republicans to the polls. But the party establishment is still filled with Rubinites terrified of and repulsed by anything like economic populism, so the turnout gap will remain.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 11, 2014

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

When are the next possible dates for a government shutdown?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

The wonderful part is that the airwaves will be flooded post-election with "centrist" commentators and pundits insisting that the result isn't about Democratic cowardice and Republican psychopathy but by the fact that Democrats need to tack further to the right. And those are the voices that the party establishment will be listening to.

To add insult to injury doctrinaire Democrats will join in this chorus and blame progressive Democrats for the "Failure in 2014."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

chill out folks, the US is still a pretty great place to live.

just not in all the states.

Austria's on the top of my emigration list because of all the cool people I met there, but they also have a burgeoning fascist movement so :|

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Redeye Flight posted:

Jesus Christ, people, it's still MAY. The world has not ended yet.

Alternative answer: things are hosed and it's only May. The farther down we go to midterms the worse it's going to get for democrats.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

chill out folks, the US is still a pretty great place to live.

(If you are wealthy and white and didn't come of age during this recession)

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

Alternative answer: things are hosed and it's only May. The farther down we go to midterms the worse it's going to get for democrats.

Considering historical trends this is likely the correct answer.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

UberAaron posted:

During the '88 election, our local newspaper had a mock vote for kids. I voted for Bush. When I told my very Democrat mom who I voted for, she turned white as a sheet.

I just wanted to see Dana Carvey keep doing his Bush impression.

I was in 1st grade during the '96 election, and I remember being asked by my nice little old lady bus driver who I would vote for. Being a loving six year old, of course I said the President, and holy poo poo did I not understand why this little old lady was giving me such a mean look. I literally could not grasp what could possibly bring someone to such anger.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It doesn't matter where you live if you are wealthy :p

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
In some slightly happier news, today an openly gay man was drafted in the NFL Draft by the St. Louis Rams. When they cut to the camera feed in his house on NFL Network and ESPN (this is a common tactic for big name prospects) he and his boyfriend? shared a kiss. That's right, ESPN and NFL Network aired a an interracial gay kiss and then continued to air it on highlight packages.

Jersey sales are already absurd considering he isn't expected to start and might not even make the team from a pure talent perspective.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

If you're a young professional working as a banker, doctor, lawyer, or techie in a hub like NYC or SF, it's a pretty good life.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It doesn't matter where you live if you are wealthy :p

However if you are less than wealthy location tends to matter.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

:laffo: Anyway, I think appropriations exist until the end of FY 2014, which would mean another shutdown is possible at the beginning of October, but that doesn't seem terribly likely.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I guess the operative word is "working".
I'm in finance but I have a bunch of friends working as lawyers in NY, pulling in 180 fresh out of college.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Whenever I think Australia cannot possibly get any worse, I remember that I don't live in your piece of poo poo third-world kleptocracy.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Haters Objector posted:

Whenever I think Australia cannot possibly get any worse, I remember that I don't live in your piece of poo poo third-world kleptocracy.

At least Australians experience buyers remorse when they elect dipshits. Don't know whats the deal with boats, good internet, and censorship tho

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/06/tony-abbotts-popularity-plunges-latest-polls-show

Edit: note: my knowledge of Australian politics is limited almost exclusively to watching Clarke and Dawe and Googling what they're talking about

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 11, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

How's Canada these days?

Calgary looks nice.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

:laffo: Anyway, I think appropriations exist until the end of FY 2014, which would mean another shutdown is possible at the beginning of October, but that doesn't seem terribly likely.

I would not put it past the American right to run an insurrection campaign within the US Senate with a majority, at this point.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
Right now I'm pretty much hoping that the Republicans make just enough gains to encourage their crazies to do some really dumb things that will piss a lot of people off for 2016 without doing any real damage.

That's it, that's the state my optimism is in these days.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there some rule that says the Dems can't ever be as good at motivating their voters as the GOP?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Dirt posted:

How's Canada these days?

Calgary looks nice.

Canada's lovely but everyone's waiting for its economy to implode.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there some rule that says the Dems can't ever be as good at motivating their voters as the GOP?

Yeah, it's called the "Rule of Democratic Leadership."

Kilty Monroe posted:

Right now I'm pretty much hoping that the Republicans make just enough gains to encourage their crazies to do some really dumb things that will piss a lot of people off for 2016 without doing any real damage.

That's it, that's the state my optimism is in these days.

This sounds very pessimistic but I am almost convinced they could do crazy poo poo, piss a good number of people off, do significant damage and then get enough of a majority that loves them for it.

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 11, 2014

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Evil Sagan posted:

What's the most right-wing thing you've done?

I voted for Dubya in 2004 at a real voting booth. My only defenses are that I was very uninformed about politics beyond TV news, had only conservative family nearby, relatively privileged upbringing even in spite of being lower-class/poor, and Missouri isn't exactly a swing state.

I have since come to my senses for all the good it does me in the state that had the guy who said rape babies were God's gift to women as a serious contender for the Senate. You can still throw stones if you want I guess :kiddo:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Samurai Sanders posted:

None of the things that would motivate a leftist base are things that the leadership of the Democratic Party actually wants or cares about, plus Republicans would call them mean names and Beltway Insiders would say they're not being bipartisan enough. They know that they will keep getting lesser-of-two-evils votes for the Presidency, why stick their necks out and get the bribe faucet turned off just to make life better for the commoners?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I voted for Dubya in 2004 at a real voting booth. My only defenses are that I was very uninformed about politics beyond TV news, had only conservative family nearby, relatively privileged upbringing even in spite of being lower-class/poor, and Missouri isn't exactly a swing state.

I have since come to my senses for all the good it does me in the state that had the guy who said rape babies were God's gift to women as a serious contender for the Senate. You can still throw stones if you want I guess :kiddo:

You would not be alone in this forum trust me. I know that there are several of us who grew up in conservative homes and had loving parents who believed weird conservative nonsense and we just assumed they were right because that's what you do when you come of age. Then we dabbled in libertarianism and realized the inconsistencies. Now we run the spectrum of centrist neoliberals to my particular brand of "devour the rich and their children" leftism. I doubt anyone would throw stones at you. (To be honest I wish we had more coherent conservative posters here but I think they are afraid to post)

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Good Citizen posted:

The solutions are all within the tax code which means congress needs to act.

In short were hosed. Instead of money being transferred to public services they're being transferred to a lessor extent to accounting firms like mine. Great for me, horrible for 90% of the country

When I worked for this one oil company, at the FT seminars they make you take, they would brag very proudly about how their tax strategy saved them like 2b over their competitors, and this was because they discovered the dutch strategy very early.

Anyways, I amortized quite a few patents through there and never gave it a thought, as long as it was in an email. It's working there that I lost faith in the big4, thus the validity of our controls, and viability of our system.

I don't know if that is more right wing than my gun right support. It strange because I've never held a gun. Where you grow up really matters.

Femur fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mornacale posted:

None of the things that would motivate a leftist base are things that the leadership of the Democratic Party actually wants or cares about, plus Republicans would call them mean names and Beltway Insiders would say they're not being bipartisan enough. They know that they will keep getting lesser-of-two-evils votes for the Presidency, why stick their necks out and get the bribe faucet turned off just to make life better for the commoners?
That's all very depressing and such, but it's also good for nothing from their perspective if it doesn't result in them actually WINNING elections.

• Locked thread