Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

fool_of_sound posted:

Don't drunkpost.
I'm completely sober. I'm depressed all the time, not just when I've had too much to drink.

Cabbit posted:

This thread's always a great reassurance that I'm doing right by myself by being a teetotaler. Holy mother of Christ, some of you people need to take up cooking or something.

Seriously, bake a pizza from scratch or something. It's very fulfilling, doesn't pickle your brain, and then you have a delicious pizza to eat afterwards. It's like finding a $20 bill in your pocket and then realizing it's folded around a $100. Cooking owns.
This is my usual go to. Baking in particular is helpful, because it require less mindfulness. Plus the sugared treats afterwards help. Nearly took a chunk out of my finger earlier while slicing up cilantro for tomorrow though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Cabbit posted:

This thread's always a great reassurance that I'm doing right by myself by being a teetotaler. Holy mother of Christ, some of you people need to take up cooking or something.

Seriously, bake a pizza from scratch or something. It's very fulfilling, doesn't pickle your brain, and then you have a delicious pizza to eat afterwards. It's like finding a $20 bill in your pocket and then realizing it's folded around a $100. Cooking owns.

Cooking is great but I don't find it particularly helpful in terms of this kind of stuff. Different strokes, I guess. Actually I have been cooking for so long and done such a variety of dishes I can cook on autopilot effectively which means I can -really- mull about stuff.

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 12, 2014

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
How can you be depressed when we have the Republican 2016 Presidential primaries to look forward to?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Baking does rule, but I dunno about less mindfulness since whenever I wing my measurements things turn out lovely. My favorite part about baking is that it's science and an oven, anything you gently caress up is on you.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I get through the day by remembering that Alzheimer's and dementia run through both sides of my family and hoping I'll be too far gone to care about the famine riots when they come in 50 years.

Our kids will be telling us that Something Awful is fully owned by Koch Conglomerate and 99% of the posts we see are chatbots convincing us to vote against our interests.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

In some ways having a social life or ties to family makes it worse, more people to worry about. Having my son made fairly abstract problems in the future seem much more concrete.

Yuuuuup! Growing up with a hard left family helps, but it's loving scary trying to eke out a household of your own knowing all sorts of poo poo is waiting in the wings. My girlfriend doesn't want kids (so far) for selfish reasons; mine are somewhat bleaker.

Thanks by the way to whoever came up with rum and root beer. That was a nice way to keep buzzed through the weekend.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Cooking is great but I don't find it particularly helpful in terms of this kind of stuff. Different strokes, I guess. Actually I have been cooking for so long and done such a variety of dishes I can cook on autopilot effectively which means I can -really- mull about stuff.

Try horticulture. Takes your mind off things for a while a day plus free poo poo if your plants make anything useful. Also, gives the bees something to do.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

How can you be depressed when we have the Republican 2016 Presidential primaries to look forward to?

Because the 2016 Republic Primaries would result in many of the posters here dying from alcohol poisoning during the drinking game.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

StandardVC10 posted:

Hey kids, just remember that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. You may not think anyone cares about you, but I promise, there's more to heaven and earth. You'd be missed. I've been down that road - not as far as some people, but far enough to know that I don't want to go back.

As someone who hit a bad spell for a time from reading too much bad news, I'll say :dogout: if it's getting to you.

Everything is always hosed; everything is always beautiful.

Don't listen too much to nerds whining about the end of the world.

The world has always been ending.

Some day it'll end for you too; no use in hurrying that along.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Try horticulture. Takes your mind off things for a while a day plus free poo poo if your plants make anything useful. Also, gives the bees something to do.

I live in an apartment.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets :smith: over US politics

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I live in an apartment.

No communal gardens close by? Also as a Spenglerian I take comfort knowing that I may live long enough to see a populist dictator.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Job Truniht posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets :smith: over US politics

I hear ya, I actually feel quite a bit better knowing there are like minded people out there who don't treat being concerned about things as reductive to mental illness. It is those who reduce being concerned to mental illness that make me legitimately depressed.

Crowsbeak posted:

No communal gardens close by? Also as a Spenglerian I take comfort knowing that I may live long enough to see a populist dictator.

No, not really. Also no offense to horticulturalists but that poo poo is boring as gently caress.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I live in an apartment.

Window planters? Or go the hydroponics route and enjoy it until you become the victim of a no knock raid by cops looking for weed.

I'm not helping am I?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I hear ya, I actually feel quite a bit better knowing there are like minded people out there who don't treat being concerned about things as reductive to mental illness. It is those who reduce being concerned to mental illness that make me legitimately depressed.

To win this battle you must make Social Darwinism a metal illness. Treat those who have FYGM as mentally ill, don't get mad tell them they need help.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'll take what's going to happen to America to what's going to happen to Europe any day.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Install Windows posted:

I'll take what's going to happen to America to what's going to happen to Europe any day.

What is "going" to happen to europe?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Window planters? Or go the hydroponics route and enjoy it until you become the victim of a no knock raid by cops looking for weed.

I'm not helping am I?

If they bust in your door looking for weed and find cherry tomatoes, well, you'll at least have something vaudevillian to throw at them on their way out!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crowsbeak posted:

According to Europe fried chicken, mass austerity, roving fascist gangs or the horror of full federalism.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

No, not really. Also no offense to horticulturalists but that poo poo is boring as gently caress.

Says you. :350:

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Yeah ok I'll concede if that was legal horticulture would get a lot more fun.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Crowsbeak posted:

The United States, in a grand political sense, is extremely stable as a state. We have a completely unbroken 238-year tradition of peaceful transfer of power that even a goddamn Civil War couldn't interrupt. We have a very low amount of outright separatist sentiment, and no real unified breakaway groups in the vein of, say, Catalonia to Spain. We have the third largest population in the world, and the fourth largest land area, with extremely high amounts of natural beauty and natural resources. Moreover, we have a VERY strong national sentiment--that American sense that gets poo poo on all the time around here. Even if we suffer another national-scale civil war there's only so far we can fall, and at the end of things the odds of us coming out of it as a reunified nation are high.

Europe, meanwhile, has been extremely extensively subdivided since the collapse of Rome, and attempts to bring greater unity to the region often start or end in violence. Extremely high amounts of separatist/nationalist/isolationist sentiment over very small degrees of subdivision. Trying to draw the region closer, as the EU is doing, is a very high barrier.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbit posted:

This man speaks truth, cook your drunk food before you get drunk.

It helps that once you reach a place that life is tolerable ok that you tune out the doom.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Cabbit posted:

If they bust in your door looking for weed and find cherry tomatoes, well, you'll at least have something vaudevillian to throw at them on their way out!

Not if they shoot you "in self defense".

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I always found taking my easel, a folding chair, and couple dime bags, then walking out into the woods to paint generally keeps me from jumping off a tall bridge.

Figure if it worked for Bob Ross, it can work for me.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 12, 2014

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

effectual posted:

Not if they shoot you "in self defense".

Man, you're like a whimsy heat sink.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Man, you're like a whimsy heat sink.

The whimsy is in the officer's statements about how they interpreted the tiny cherry tomatoes as lethal weapons. Little round shurikens? Tiny grenades? Alien organisms?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CannonFodder posted:

After my parents die I plan on strapping on a SCUBA rebreather attached to a helium tank.

Dude, what's wrong with you? At least use nitrous oxide. Actually you would probably feel a lot better if you did a bunch of whippets, try that instead of accidentally baring your tortured soul on the internet and freaking out a bunch of people that were mostly(Jesus loving Christ I hope) joking about alcoholism. American politics are depressing and the world is scary sometimes but this is not a healthy or reasonable reaction to them. You can live a long and fulfilling life between now and the time when republicans overtake us all and turn the world into an austerity fueled smoking husk of industrial waste so I strongly suggest you get off the internet and go do that.

I talk about emigrating to another country(and I do mean that and want to), but I sure as poo poo am not gonna kill myself over it. gently caress dude.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
:siren: THIS THREAD IS MAKING ME AN ALCOHOLIC :siren:

I motion to turn this thread into the official Debate Disco Pretty Political Puppy Thread.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JonathonSpectre posted:

There was literally a court case where the Cherokee's "right of occupancy" was declared subordinate to white peoples' "right of discovery."

White settler: "Hey, I know you Cherokee have been living here since time immemorial, but I just 'discovered' this place, so you can get the gently caress out!"

Judge: "Seems reasonable and fair. They were living there without ever realizing that yes, it was land they were living on."

So I went to try to find this case. Are you talking about Johnson v McIntosh? Because holy poo poo this decision is comedy gold. No Native Americans were parties to the lawsuit; it was between a guy who'd bought some land from Native Americans suing the current owner of the land who had gotten it from the government, and Marshall ruled for the defendant because Native Americans had no title to their land and couldn't sell it.

I can't tell if my favorite quotes are the ones about how we brought the Indians Christianity so really at the end of the day they benefit from the "Right of Discovery" that gives Europeans the incentive to steal their land and Christianize them...or the part where he explicitly dismisses English precedent to the contrary that recognized the property rights of "Indian princes and governments" because:

quote:

The words "princes or governments" are usually applied to the East Indians, but not to those of North America. We speak of their sachems, their warriors, their chiefmen, their nations or tribes, not of their "princes or governments."

It reads like an Eddie Izzard bit. "Ah, but do you call your leader a prince" "No, of course not, that's an English word. In our language it's-" "Oh sorry, no prince, no country. Those are the rules I just made up."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

The whimsy is in the officer's statements about how they interpreted the tiny cherry tomatoes as lethal weapons. Little round shurikens? Tiny grenades? Alien organisms?

Cherry bombs.

Rexicon1 posted:

:siren: THIS THREAD IS MAKING ME AN ALCOHOLIC :siren:

I motion to turn this thread into the official Debate Disco Pretty Political Puppy Thread.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 12, 2014

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Swagger Dagger posted:

Baking does rule, but I dunno about less mindfulness since whenever I wing my measurements things turn out lovely. My favorite part about baking is that it's science and an oven, anything you gently caress up is on you.

Absolutely, but the fun part of baking is once you understand the necessary ratios of a recipe you can start riffing at will. It's a good time. Plus its delicious.

HBNRW posted:

I always found taking my easel, a folding chair, and couple dime bags, then walking out into the woods to paint generally keeps me from jumping off a tall bridge.

Figure if it worked for Bob Ross, it can work for me.

I served with a guy, he separated, that spends every Sunday smoking and painting with old Bob Ross videos. He's getting pretty good.

Question for you all. I had a discussion with my father who claims he heard some report that one of the unintended side effects of gun control in Britain has been a huge upswing in armed robberies with a gun because the criminals know that no one else will have one. I asked for data which he couldn't provide and I pointed out that would still be an irrelevant point if robberies went up while actual deaths went down since robberies are clearly the lesser of two evils. The whole thing is clearly a produced talking point since my dad has for my entire life shown about zero interest in guns or gun crimes until the past few years when he's become more and more indoctrinated by right wing media.

Anywho, the matter at hand. I found a lovely blog post about it where the guy has seemingly done some lovely as math on actual good data: http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2013/02/03/inconvenient-truth-violent-crime-rate-in-the-gun-free-uk-is-800-of-the-heavily-armed-us/

I don't know how he's getting such a high violent crime rate from those seemingly solid UK crime stats when going by the FBI definition of violent crime it's nowhere near the rate he quotes. In addition one of the fun pieces of data from this UK crime data: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_296191.pdf

Is the absurdly low rates of gun crime and homicides. Their homicide rate is less than 1 per 100k while ours, according to the FBI stats, is 4.7 per 100k.

Anyway I don't know if this is some thing making the rounds or if the WSJ just picked it up, since that's my dads favorite media source.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you legit believe anyone short of a literal seer can predict even just 10 years ahead in global politics and mass affecting events stemming from them you legitimately have no clue what you're talking about. Drinking into a stupor or killing yourself over vague what if situations is absurd. Every world power has been one year from total collapse since the dawn of man.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If you legit believe anyone short of a literal seer can predict even just 10 years ahead in global politics and mass affecting events stemming from them you legitimately have no clue what you're talking about. Drinking into a stupor or killing yourself over vague what if situations is absurd. Every world power has been one year from total collapse since the dawn of man.
Sometimes it's even shorter. I was gonna make a list but probably the best one is good ol' George Will. "Liberalization is a ploy; the wall will remain," or something like that... couldn't find the exact quote.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I really hope a republican says a dumb thing about women/minorities tomorrow.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Thinking about suicide is healthy, though. (Obsessing over it is not.) I don't know anyone who hasn't contemplated it at least once in their life, and I always considered it an interesting thought experiment.

Like Camus said, the only true philosophical question is whether or not to commit suicide.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Camus was a dick

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateNu posted:

Thinking about suicide is healthy, though. (Obsessing over it is not.) I don't know anyone who hasn't contemplated it at least once in their life, and I always considered it an interesting thought experiment.

Like Camus said, the only true philosophical question is whether or not to commit suicide.

How is thinking about killing yourself healthy? :psyduck:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AlternateNu posted:

That grim self reflection comes from examining your place in the world, the bonds you've formed the life you lead, and genuinely asking if it's been a success in any way and if you've left an impact enough to be missed at all by anyone. Usually it's done to find your own personal view of the inherent worth of a human life. Usually "I read a blog that scared me" shouldn't be a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
If thinking 'bout the world and stuff is bringing you down to the point where it's interfering with your life.. you need to block this forum from your browsers, block every goddamned blog and every goddamned news site. If something happens that you need to know about, someone will tell you. Not that it will make any difference to the victims, perpetrators, those involved, or anyone in the slightest. If social awareness is messing with you that much, you've given all the fucks that you're ever required to, so take nine or ten steps back, for a year at least. Apply yourself to situations whose outcomes you can actually have something to do with, if you've got to feel like you're making a difference.

Like I care about you guys and you're scaring me.
Like at the gym, on the treadmills. You know what I watch? I watch Fox News, because it isn't. I can't handle an IV of reality while I'm trying to break a sweat.

• Locked thread