Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dahbadu posted:

1. Is anyone against this?

Just make sure it doesn't become something with multiple people involved that fails if any one of them abruptly stops contributing. That's how goon projects usually die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

SumYungGui posted:

RATIONAL ACTORS, FREE MARKET...oh gently caress why are so many of our educated people leaving the country?

Though I am a bit curious. Do they not see the student loan bubble coming and think this can go on forever, is there some reason it won't actually happen that I don't understand or is there some finance industry horse-poo poo wizardry with no grounding in reality that can be pulled to somehow suck even more money out of the situation as the whole system burns to the ground?

It's the last one isn't it?

The government is making a ton of profit on interest from student loans. Elizabeth Warren just proposed a bill to bring that to an end, and lower payments, but meh. People in general don't seem to care that the system is loving over students.

I found her speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC6N-bU2jiM

Pohl fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 13, 2014

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I got a lovely BA in Political Science (I now work in IT in a completely unrelated field natch) and I was one day from taking out the first semester's of $30,000 worth of loans to go to a sub-T3 law school in south Texas.

Instead, I said "gently caress that poo poo", withdrew my application, moved back to Colorado, and am student loan debt-free and have been working at a steady job for the last 6 years. Probably one of the best decisions of my life.

I'm extremely fortunate that I was able to escape with as relatively little debt as I did from undergraduate education. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be saddled with six figure debt that isn't dischargeable (which is the most horrifying loving part, frankly) and not have a degree that could realistically get me a decent job anywhere.

In fact, if I ever go back to school for further education, it's going to be in a trade like welding, carpentry, plumbing or some type of mechanical repair, which is probably what I should have gone to school for in the first place.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pohl posted:

The government is making a ton of profit on interest from student loans. Elizabeth Warren just proposed a bill to bring that to an end, and lower payments, but meh. People in general don't seem to care that the system is loving over students.

I found her speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC6N-bU2jiM

It's a pretty big profit as well. 127 Billion over the next 10 years. Most of that will be from graduate student loans.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

a shameful boehner posted:

I got a lovely BA in Political Science (I now work in IT in a completely unrelated field natch) and I was one day from taking out the first semester's of $30,000 worth of loans to go to a sub-T3 law school in south Texas.

Instead, I said "gently caress that poo poo", withdrew my application, moved back to Colorado, and am student loan debt-free and have been working at a steady job for the last 6 years. Probably one of the best decisions of my life.

I'm extremely fortunate that I was able to escape with as relatively little debt as I did from undergraduate education. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be saddled with six figure debt that isn't dischargeable (which is the most horrifying loving part, frankly) and not have a degree that could realistically get me a decent job anywhere.

In fact, if I ever go back to school for further education, it's going to be in a trade like welding, carpentry, plumbing or some type of mechanical repair, which is probably what I should have gone to school for in the first place.

I started working when I was 12 in my parents bakery. I've been working every day since. I've been in and out of college for 20 years, for a variety of reasons. I went back to school with a determination to finish a few years ago, because I understood that I couldn't do what I do everyday for the next 30 years. I'm getting old, and physical labor is great, but it also breaks down your body. I can't do what I do and be healthy when I'm 70. Since I'm only 40, I still have 30 years of work ahead of me, it only makes sense for me to educate myself and get a desk job. I graduated in the top of my High-school class, and I graduated with honors in college. I took out loans because I had to. I didn't make enough to cover the costs of my living expenses and school, and while I could do full time work and full time school when I was 28, I found that when I was 38, I couldn't. Or, maybe I could deal with full time work and school, but I couldn't be bothered to work that hard. Why should I? Hard work is meaningless. It means nothing. People act like hard work is the genesis of a greater life, all I've found over my 30 years of working hard is that hard work leads to more work and you still get paid poo poo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Whoever said Cruz had the face of a sad clown was absolutely right. Dude was born 50 years too late for vaudeville.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

John Crisco died unexpectedly at his home today, so there will not be a need for a runoff in the North Carolina 2nd CD Democratic Primary. Clay Aiken is now unopposed in his race to lose to Renee Ellmers in November.

Mentioned it in the 2014 primary thread, but Crisco was planning to concede tomorrow.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pohl posted:

People act like hard work is the genesis of a greater life, all I've found over my 30 years of working hard is that hard work leads to more work and you still get paid poo poo.
They took the genuine sense of satisfaction that comes from exerting effort towards a goal and decided to conflate that with putting huge amounts of effort into meaningless bullshit, then further added that doing so was morally valuable in its own right. I suppose this did get a lot done, but it hasn't left a great legacy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The amount I've gotten paid versus how hard I worked (with bonus how frustrated I was) is completely inversely proportional.

I'm going to go fuse with the loveseat downstairs and passively become a millionaire.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I tell people all the time that "air conditioning/refrigeration" expertise is almost a guarantee of employment if you live in the South or Southwest. Air conditioning is the only thing that makes living in places like Texas or Arizona even acceptable.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Gen. Ripper posted:

This would require the foundation of our pathetic species to be anything other than hatred and spite.

Hey, if monkeys can change, so can we. It's cultural; it's changeable.

IT's still a good field, though, right?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 13, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Nessus posted:

They took the genuine sense of satisfaction that comes from exerting effort towards a goal and decided to conflate that with putting huge amounts of effort into meaningless bullshit, then further added that doing so was morally valuable in its own right. I suppose this did get a lot done, but it hasn't left a great legacy.

I was promised that if I worked hard, I would be rewarded. That was never questioned, work hard and be middle class. I make $15 an hour, which is a really good wage in my state. It is also, what my parents made when I was a kid in the 70's - 80's. According to them, we were poor. So, I'm an individual making what 1 of my 2 parents made, (they bought their house for $25K by the way), and I'm making a really great wage in today's society. Unfortunately, I am only working part time because my employer cut everyone's hours.
I'm completely flabbergasted as to why people aren't incredibly pissed and spitting mad. People I talk to are just loving happy to have a job, and no one is rebellious at all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pohl posted:

I was promised that if I worked hard, I would be rewarded. That was never questioned, work hard and be middle class. I make $15 an hour, which is a really good wage in my state. It is also, what my parents made when I was a kid. According to them, we were poor. So, I'm an individual making what 1 of my 2 parents made, (they bought their house for $25K by the way), and I'm making a really great wage in today's society. Unfortunately, I am only working part time because my employer cut everyone's hours.
I'm completely flabbergasted as to why people aren't incredibly pissed and spitting mad. People I talk to are just loving happy to have a job, and no one is rebellious at all.

The individual worker is less than powerless in a depressed economy and organized labor has been ruthlessly battered and chipped away at by insidious propaganda propagated by the elite class over the last century. Individual rebellion will simply end in the loss of what little a person has and for the vast majority of people it's preferable to live a lovely life working desperately just to keep your head above water than it is to die in a gutter.

Looks like it's drink o' clock!

slogula
Oct 2, 2013

Sometimes i feel like the trades are over-hyped/romanticized. They can be physically demanding and you're exposed to a lot of environmental and health hazards. It can be great if you get into the high-end specialty work, but most available jobs are pretty lackluster. I had a pretty sweet setup doing punch work for a developer for a few years; 9-5, full benefits, and localized to one neighborhood. Finding out that my entire industry was predicated on somebody else's scam made me the angry bitter leftist that I am today.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/05/12/clay-aiken-primary-opponent-dies/

Clay Aiken's primary opponent died.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I've met Ted Cruz in person and this is only a pale shadow of how punchable his face is IRL. It's like comparing a candle to the sun.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Pohl posted:

I was promised that if I worked hard, I would be rewarded. That was never questioned, work hard and be middle class. I make $15 an hour, which is a really good wage in my state. It is also, what my parents made when I was a kid in the 70's - 80's. According to them, we were poor. So, I'm an individual making what 1 of my 2 parents made, (they bought their house for $25K by the way), and I'm making a really great wage in today's society. Unfortunately, I am only working part time because my employer cut everyone's hours.

Because lets blame the black guy who wanted everyone to have insurance!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pohl posted:

Lots of people are literally content with $29,000 a year, or only so discontent with it as they can't afford to "splurge" on "luxuries" as often as they like.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I've met Ted Cruz in person and this is only a pale shadow of how punchable his face is IRL. It's like comparing a candle to the sun.

Are your hands permanently balled into fists now?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pohl posted:

Because the GOP hijacked that outrage right off the bat and redirected it. Turns out your average everyday American is pretty stupid when it comes to a wide range of topics (as are we all).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In between castrations Iowa Senate candidate Joni Ernst found time to talk to the Des Moines Register about another hot button issue on the minds of voters in 2014: how Bush was right.

quote:

DMR: Do you believe there was actionable intelligence to go into Iraq?

ERNST: I do believe at that time there was. I wasn't at a level to know. Obviously, the president thought there was actionable intelligence. So, as an Iraqi War veteran I stand beside that. And I stand beside every other soldier I served with in believing we were on a clearly defined mission to go into Iraq.

DMR: Even though Saddam Hussein didn't have weapons of mass destruction?

ERNST: We don't know that there were weapons on the ground when we went in. However, I do have reason to believe there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. That was the intelligence that was operated on. I was not at a level to question.

DMR: Are you now?

ERNST: I have reason to believe there was weapons of mass destruction.

DMR: What is the reason?

ERNST: I will tell you, my husband served in Saudi Arabia as an Army Central Command sergeant major for a year and that's a hot-button topic in that area.

Well, well, well, :ms: the WMDs were all stole by Joni's husband in Saudi.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Holy poo poo. Keith Crisco just dropped dead in his own home today. He was Clay Aiken's main challenger for the Democratic nomination in NC02

Courier Journal and his business the Asheboro Elastic Corp confirming

Wow.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Are your hands permanently balled into fists now?

Isn't he a Canadian citizen and not eligible to be a US senator?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cimber posted:

Isn't he a Canadian citizen and not eligible to be a US senator?

He is both a Canadian and a US citizen and is eligible to be a US Senator.

He's said that he wants to give up his Canadian citizenship, but the Canandian State Department told him that he'd have to write an essay about why he doesn't want to be Canadian any more.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Joementum posted:

He is both a Canadian and a US citizen and is eligible to be a US Senator.

He's said that he wants to give up his Canadian citizenship, but the Canandian State Department told him that he'd have to write an essay about why he doesn't want to be Canadian any more.

Isn't being Ted Cruz enough reason for Canada to want to sever?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Slickdrac posted:

Isn't being Ted Cruz enough reason for Canada to want to sever?

No doubt, but making Ted Cruz squirm is enough reason to make him go through the formalities.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hold on guys, Karl Rove is saying there's still a chance that Hillary has brain damage....

Also, did we ever get to the bottom of those real estate deals?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Hold on guys, Karl Rove is saying there's still a chance that Hillary has brain damage....

You know, I don't think there has been enough investigations into such affairs. Someone name a(nother) special investigator!

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Fun news from the Bundy Ranch. I will never get sick of this story and I hope these militia dudes stay forever.

quote:

The life of an ever-vigilant anti-government armed patriot is hard. And by hard, I mean dull and unproductive. Also, not very profitable. Maybe that's why all those guys hanging out cleaning their guns in Nevada are now begging hard-working Americans to please give them some money.

One enterprising ranch defender needs funds so badly, he's taken to GoFundMe:

To all American Patriots:

I am the Team Leader that took Charlie Delta, the black marine, out to Nevada along with two other volunteers that all did an outstanding job at the Bundy Ranch. I understand most of you have come to know Charlie Delta through his expressed views on Cliven Bundy and the good we are all doing as patriots at the ranch. I am coming to you tonight humbly asking for your help. We may be the front line soldiers facing down an overbearing govt bureaucracy, but we are first off family men and women that have our own homes and jobs and families left behind to take on this endeavor. Therefore we have spent our fortunes for freedom and love of our fellow man and need your help to continue our efforts to keep all Americans free from tyranny. Please if you can spare even a few dollars for food, fuel and supplies to continue the stand against tyranny and an overbearing governtment [sic] please help. Even the smallext amount will help keep up the pressure to return this land to the people. I thank you all sincerely for your contribution.

Christopher E Ferrell

United we stand! Divided we fall!

Chris isn't alone in opting for unemployment assistance to play soldier out in the desert. Another self-appointed militia bigwig, Blaine Cooper, took up a GoFundMe collection "for gas, and expenses to help in our fight with the bundies all money will be used for food and gas........." (his page has since been taken down but is cached here.)

How's the welfare drive going? lovely. Cooper, who's been something of a celeb in the cause (and is incensed that prison inmates get free food), made just under $1,500 in a month and a half. Ferrell, meanwhile, has netted $170 from five donors... well short of his $100,000 goal. Sheesh. Why don't these losers get jobs?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Accretionist posted:

Hey, if monkeys can change, so can we. It's cultural; it's changeable.

IT's still a good field, though, right?

It really depends. "IT" is such a broad term these days. I wouldn't want anything to do with sales, but if you know your stuff there is decent money to be made.

Small businesses are everywhere, and most don't want or know how to handle their own IT needs. If you can offer them a support package at a low enough cost you can support hundreds of companies with a small staff of capable people.

Corporate IT pays better but you will be ground into dust within 5 years.

Start-ups look worthwhile but end up being worse than corporate.

Residential IT is a non-starter.

Specialization is pretty key to the higher echelons of IT, but it is competitive as hell, and the stress level is high. You are much more likely to end up in a ditch than in the job you want to have. If you find something good enough you stick with it because the grass isn't greener on the other side.

IT also has a lot of lovely personalities. Get used to MRA's, Libertarians, White Male Persecution complexes, and generally intolerable people. Sorry, I think I said libertarian 4 times there.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Joementum posted:

The fact that they're grasp this hard is actually pretty :unsmith:

They're grasping at straws so, so loving hard because they have nothing and are goddamned desperate to find ANYTHING to dislodge Hillary from a presidency that is pretty much hers for the taking.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

What do they need gas for?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So what has been happening lately to make the GOP rise in the polls? Is this just statistical noise? Last I turned on the radio they were screaming about some new Benghazi developments but that means nothing. Are they actually getting traction with this scandal garbage? I thought the healthcare rollout was doing well, or at least well enough to not hurt polling?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The student loan bubble will burst when millions upon millions of people can't pay their student loans and just stop giving even a hint of a gently caress about it, right? Won't the banks start garnishing the wages of like 50 percent of the entire country at once at that point? How exactly can we expect that to play out?

E: I'm halfway through my doctor of musical arts and pedagogy degree and will probably clear 100 grand in debt when all's said and done, but if I can have a living wage I'm fine with paying it back. As long as I can live a simple life with the bills covered while being a professional musician and educator I'm fine, I don't need to be rich or even middle class. But I have a feeling that even with three loving degrees and an extreme level of expertise that's not gonna be a possibility without working myself to death, and that's a big part of my desire to emigrate too because I really don't give a poo poo if it hurts a bank.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 13, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

withak posted:

Huffing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

withak posted:

Let's ask their leader:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

withak posted:

Serious answer: the federal land Bundy is grazing his cattle on is pretty large so they're presumably running jeep patrols around to make sure those dastardly BLM aren't sneaking in and swiping cows again. Also supply runs into town and stuff.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Warchicken posted:

The student loan bubble will burst when millions upon millions of people can't pay their student loans and just stop giving even a hint of a gently caress about it, right? Won't the banks start garnishing the wages of like 50 percent of the entire country at once at that point? How exactly can we expect that to play out?

E: I'm halfway through my doctor of musical arts and pedagogy degree and will probably clear 100 grand in debt when all's said and done, but if I can have a living wage I'm fine with paying it back. As long as I can live a simple life with the bills covered while being a professional musician and educator I'm fine, I don't need to be rich or even middle class. But I have a feeling that even with three loving degrees and an extreme level of expertise that's not gonna be a possibility without working myself to death, and that's a big part of my desire to emigrate too because I really don't give a poo poo if it hurts a bank.

Most people owe the government, not the banks. That was one of the things Obama managed to pass. This was actually a good thing, but it is still loving ridiculous.
I also agree that education is not about wealth, it is about society. We have turned education into wealth, however, so any field that is not profitable is questionable. Education is about about more than money, and people that complain about societal costs need to be boiled alive.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 13, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

1stGear posted:

Serious answer: the federal land Bundy is grazing his cattle on is pretty large so they're presumably running jeep patrols around to make sure those dastardly BLM aren't sneaking in and swiping cows again. Also supply runs into town and stuff.

Also running over sacred historical sites.

icantfindaname posted:

So what has been happening lately to make the GOP rise in the polls?

The Democrats have been in charge for a long time now, and the recovery has been slow. It's time to bring in some new ideas and give Republicans a chance to fix our debt and bring jobs back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
One of my good friends is ranting on Facebook about how the Civil War wasn't actually about slavery and how Robert E. Lee was really a cool person (because it's Confederate History Day or something?). This is really upsetting me (the perils of having white friends i guess). I don't even know what to say. So disappointing. :(

• Locked thread