Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
If Andre really wants to get out of Houston that bad he'd be willing to restructure his salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

bhsman posted:

If the Bills get a 4th for Stevie, I'd want a 2nd at a minimum for Andre, if not more. That said, I really hate that it's even come to this.

gently caress. :smith:

The Ravens got a 6th for Baltimore and while Q isn't Andre Johnson he only had half the cap hit. Who are the teams who could even swallow that contract? Cleveland? Oakland?

It would just be cruel to send Andre to those places.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Give me ______ and I will play ______.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

"Getting PAID to play a GAME? Are you loving kidding me? You give me 500,000 dollars a year, I will lay naked on the pitchers mound and allow boiled potatoes to be fired into my rear end in a top hat with a pitching machine."

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The Ravens got a 6th for Baltimore and while Q isn't Andre Johnson he only had half the cap hit. Who are the teams who could even swallow that contract? Cleveland? Oakland?

It would just be cruel to send Andre to those places.

In Oakland he would catch throws from Schaub and Carr again :unsmigghh:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10927282/renegotiation-nfl-drug-policy-reduce-marijuana-punishments (below is the whole article)

quote:

It would be too late to help Josh Gordon, Will Hill or anyone else in danger of lengthy suspensions for violations of current rules. But when and if the NFL's new drug policy is finalized and announced, it will include changes specific to marijuana and other drugs of abuse.

A source told ESPN.com on Tuesday that the renegotiation of the drug policy, which has been going on since 2011 and includes testing for HGH, also will significantly increase the threshold for a positive marijuana test and reduce the punishments for violations involving that drug.

The source said the NFL's policy on marijuana is outdated, pointing out that WADA has a higher threshold for a positive test than the NFL currently does, and in need of updating.

The NFLPA has expressed to the league an interest in studying the medical research that has led to the legalization of marijuana in many states for medicinal use, but it believes changes were needed in the meantime regardless.

What's holding up the implementation and announcement of changes to the league's drug policy is a continued standoff over arbitration of discipline. In cases of non-analytical positives (i.e., an Alex Rodriguez type of case in which a player is found in violation of the drug policy by some method other than a failed test) or in cases of violations of law (i.e., hypothetically, a player got caught trying to smuggle prescription drugs across the Canadian border), the NFLPA has asked that discipline appeals be heard by an independent arbitrator.

The NFL has continued to insist that the commissioner have final say over discipline matters.

It's the same hangup that was addressed last week by union president Eric Winston, who said of commissioner Roger Goodell on the issue of HGH testing, "He wants to hold all the cards and he wants to be the judge, jury and executioner, and we're not going to go for an un-American system like that."

In response to the union's claims, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello e-mailed the following last week to ESPN: "It's kind of funny because since 2011 the union has come up with one excuse after another to avoid implementing an agreement to test for HGH. First, it was the testing method; then it was the population study; now it's commissioner authority. Our commitment to testing is clear. The same cannot be said of the union."

The dispute over arbitration, it turns out, is holding up more than just HGH testing. There are widespread changes to the NFL's drug policy that these two sides have negotiated and are waiting to implement once they can reach agreement on the administration of discipline.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

In Oakland he would catch throws from Schaub and Carr again :unsmigghh:

McGloin is going to be least bad out of our qb's this season and you know it.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh gently caress it. Can they just negotiate that a player can fail a pot test in the offseason but not during the regular season?!?!?

Seems like both sides could win?? :mystery:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They should do like my work does and test you once when you get hired on, and then never again unless you hurt yourself a la Kevin Kolb on that rubber mat.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Atticus Finch posted:

Cool I'm watching Calvin Johnson's future happen.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Volkerball posted:

They should do like my work does and test you once when you get hired on, and then never again unless you hurt yourself a la Kevin Kolb on that rubber mat.

Mine too. If they drug tested regularly we'd lose 10 people a week

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

They went 12-4 in 2012 but collapsed last year. In all, Johnson’s only been part of two playoff wins in 11 years.

Poor Andre Johnson. Come to the Chiefs Andre, we haven't won one in 21 years.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I thought the point was to make Andre's situation less depressing, not more.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Banish him to the same purgatory the Gods sent Schaub

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
See, the Giants only let their good WRs walk after they win the Super Bowl.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Dattserberg posted:

Cool I'm watching Calvin Johnson's future happen.

Calvin's too nice to demand a trade. He'll just fade away. :(

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Far too nice. Unlike noted diva rear end in a top hat Andre Johnson :rolleyes:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Calvin's too nice to demand a trade. He'll just fade away. :(

He'll retire abruptly like the other well-known quitter Barry Sanders

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

kiimo posted:

Poor Andre Johnson. Come to the Chiefs Andre, we haven't won one in 21 years.
Tiny Hands to AJ80 5-yard quickslants all day urr day

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Has anyone been watching Draft Academy?

It feels like an earnest and respectful documentary such as the early seasons of The Real World.

Meaning I can't wait until it spotlights crazy ex girlfriends and drunken confessions and the token cornfed rear end in a top hat like late season Real World.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Even if they redo the drug policy the Giants are one of those teams ran by stupid hardliners that would kick their players off for any marijuana use.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh
<----------------

Doltos posted:

Even if they redo the drug policy the Giants are one of those teams ran by stupid hardliners that would kick their players off for any marijuana use.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Intruder posted:

If we must trade Andre, make it for Fitz

Would you accept a Robert Meachem?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

davecrazy posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh
<----------------

The greatest defensive player of all time is going to get some extra leeway. Plus, it was the 80's. Everyone was snorting that coke

We just jettisoned Will Hill for his pot bullshit. Though to be fair it took a few years. It's not too bad.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Why is everyone pretending this isn't going to end with AJ80 traded for Ryan Mallett

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DupaDupa posted:

Why is everyone pretending this isn't going to end with AJ80 traded for Ryan Mallett

Because it's too loving early to drink.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

FizFashizzle posted:

Because it's too loving early to drink.

Maybe for you. This laphroaig would disagree with you.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

DupaDupa posted:

from your lips to god's ears, my friend

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Calvin and Andre form the league's greatest WR combo, in New England.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

"Getting PAID to play a GAME? Are you loving kidding me? You give me 500,000 dollars a year, I will lay naked on the pitchers mound and allow boiled potatoes to be fired into my rear end in a top hat with a pitching machine."

Hell, I'd do that for free! :iamafag:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

OverTheCap posted:

Johnson carries a salary cap charge in 2014 of $15,644,583 and a cash contract value of $11 million. If traded before June 1, Johnson’s cap charge for the Texans would be $11,964,166 representing a savings of $3,680,417 against the cap. If traded after June 1 the Texans would take a $4.644 million cap charge in 2014 and a $7.319 million charge in 2015. In either scenario the trade would help rather than hurt the Texans salary cap.

The more difficult aspect of the trade is to find a trade partner. Johnson has $34.5 million remaining on his contract, a huge number for a player that is about to turn 33 years old. While Johnson plays at a far higher level than his peers at that age, players like Anquan Boldin and Wes Welker are working for $6 million a season. To complicate matters Johnson would likely want an extension or some type of guarantee on his contract.

Only 12 potential destinations could absorb his $11 million salary without touching the contract. Of those 13 only the Bengals, Eagles, Packers , and Colts would be considered sure fire contenders and most of those squads are set at the WR position. Fringe playoff teams with the room would include the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills. Buffalo would certainly have no interest and Miami is already overspent at the position.

Send him to Cinci, Dalton needs a fresh target and this division needs a chance at a playoff win

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Dude.

Shut up. We don't need to give the Bengals any help in claiming the North this year.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

there is absolutely no reason for the bengals to trade for andre johnson. like maybe if his deal was expiring

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Andre is going to somehow end up on the 49ers, under the cap, for like a 5th round pick because they are the worst.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Question: why does Cam Newton not have a new contract already?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

there is absolutely no reason for the bengals to trade for andre johnson. like maybe if his deal was expiring

It's certainly not a need but if they could address the cap issues keeping Johnson next to Green for 5 years would be disgustingly difficult to defend.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Pops Mgee posted:

Andre is going to somehow end up on the 49ers, under the cap, for like a 5th round pick because they are the worst.

Luckily there's no way this can happen this year because of the cap situation.

Now next off-season we can talk :getin:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

John Brown posted:

Same reason Kap and Dalton don't.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

John Brown posted:

Still under contract and the panthers can't afford to do it right now.

There's really no risk of him not being locked up unless he has a career ending injury.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It's certainly not a need but if they could address the cap issues keeping Johnson next to Green for 5 years would be disgustingly difficult to defend.

They can't

At least not while keeping Burfict, Green, and andy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Same reason Kap and Dalton don't.

Nah Cam is actually a good passer. It's all about the dollars not the trust.

• Locked thread