Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, everyone with title requests is done.

Also I love that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Somewhere between the hosting at multiplay.co.uk and my mail server something is up. A password reset link arrived in a minute, the new password itself took 18 minutes, which I found out only after I had asked for another password reset thinking something went wrong (got that in a minute too). Now I'm at 20 minutes waiting for a new password.

(Same username as here)

e: and sorted, took too long

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 14, 2014

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Babyface Mingo posted:

this is what kids who play minecraft too much grow into

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRdcptG365I

it's understandable!!

"How many of you have autism"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Bitter Beard posted:

*note I hate minecraft and don't play it and stopped my kids from playing it anymore, we all play starbound together instead.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Did you just one day at dinner just go 'NO MORE MINECRAFT, WE PLAY STARBOUND NOW' and go around deleting it? What even caused you to hate it so much to stop other people from playing it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"No kids, you're not allowed to play this video game anymore because I DON'T LIKE IT!" :colbert:

The sheer ridiculousness of this is overwhelming.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think he probably just said hey want to play this really cool thing with your dad. Done.

You goons and your hyperbole.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
There was a lot more fighting between my kids when they'd play minecraft, one would build something and the other would accidentally destroy it and things would go nuts. Their exploring would also be all over the place and they had a difficult time finding each other within the game, for kids their age the cooperative playing gels a lot better for them in Starbound. Get lost you right click on team icon beam to ship and beam to planet, follow the indicator and you're together again.

They can themselves share things back and forth without my direct involvement, weapons, food, resources, etc. They are not allowed unlimited play so when they are playing and I do not feel like jumping in with them I can go make lunches for the day or jump in the shower because they usually play in the mornings before school and I don't have to involve myself at all. The only time I have to involve myself is when they fill up their inventory like gypsies and need to delete the odds and ends they've discovered in the galaxy and don't know what to do with them. They have been digging rubish holes in the dirt and they both throw all their inventory stuff into the hole then they cover it back up and tell each other 'don't dig there now' and off they go again. Not sure if the server keeps that stuff around once they go off screen, time will tell.

Since Starbound beta one has hit they've not had a single sibling fight.

They have come to my crying like an intruder was in the house and I went running to the front door as they ran into the computer room, upset somebody had killed their pet in a mushroom town so they murdered everybody and then felt really bad about it and were crying because their puppy dog had died.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bitter Beard posted:

There was a lot more fighting between my kids when they'd play minecraft, one would build something and the other would accidentally destroy it and things would go nuts. Their exploring would also be all over the place and they had a difficult time finding each other within the game, for kids their age the cooperative playing gels a lot better for them in Starbound. Get lost you right click on team icon beam to ship and beam to planet, follow the indicator and you're together again.

They can themselves share things back and forth without my direct involvement, weapons, food, resources, etc. They are not allowed unlimited play so when they are playing and I do not feel like jumping in with them I can go make lunches for the day or jump in the shower because they usually play in the mornings before school and I don't have to involve myself at all. The only time I have to involve myself is when they fill up their inventory like gypsies and need to delete the odds and ends they've discovered in the galaxy and don't know what to do with them. They have been digging rubish holes in the dirt and they both throw all their inventory stuff into the hole then they cover it back up and tell each other 'don't dig there now' and off they go again. Not sure if the server keeps that stuff around once they go off screen, time will tell.

Since Starbound beta one has hit they've not had a single sibling fight.

They have come to my crying like an intruder was in the house and I went running to the front door as they ran into the computer room, upset somebody had killed their pet in a mushroom town so they murdered everybody and then felt really bad about it and were crying because their puppy dog had died.

Nope be honest, you don't like Minecraft and thats why you won't let them play.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

makes sense

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Eonwe posted:

Nope be honest, you don't like Minecraft and thats why you won't let them play.

How about this for an explanation, get hosed

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Come on now, his/her kids digging holes and throwing trash into the then burying them all 'let us never speak of this again' is adorable.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It definitely is.

Bitter Beard posted:

How about this for an explanation, get hosed

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm with Bitter Beard, I used to host a minecraft server and it was an endless cycle of irritation. My mate would spend hours building the Hagia Sophia or some poo poo, then my son would "accidentally" blow it up, my mate would chuck a sulk and I'd have to go rooting around for server backups. I can totally understand why you'd impose a ban.

dog kisser posted:

Come on now, his/her kids digging holes and throwing trash into the then burying them all 'let us never speak of this again' is adorable.
There's a lesson in there somewhere. :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I have never touched minecraft for a more dumb reason.

I figure if it takes me so freaking long to build a glorified series of rectangles log cabin in Terraria or Starbound, building in :pcgaming: THREE DIMENSIONS :pcgaming: would only end in tears :saddowns:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Eonwe posted:

I think he probably just said hey want to play this really cool thing with your dad. Done.

You goons and your hyperbole.

Hey look now we have an explanation that's more than him just saying 'I hate it and stopped my kids from playing it' and it makes a lot more sense and now we know he's a good father, good thing we talked about it to find out what's up

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Section Z posted:

I have never touched minecraft for a more dumb reason.

I figure if it takes me so freaking long to build a glorified series of rectangles log cabin in Terraria or Starbound, building in :pcgaming: THREE DIMENSIONS :pcgaming: would only end in tears :saddowns:
Just as Terraria replaced Minecraft for me because I prefer 2D to 3D, Starbound has replaced Terraria by nature of being less hassle to build in. Having said that, I still dip back into Minecraft occasionally to add a few more sections onto my great walled city and I will one day return to Terraria to finish building Columbia from Bioshock Infinite. Virtual Lego is my crack.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
What's the nuclear bomb mod of choice currently?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Patware posted:

Hey look now we have an explanation that's more than him just saying 'I hate it and stopped my kids from playing it' and it makes a lot more sense and now we know he's a good father, good thing we talked about it to find out what's up
The concern shown here is truly touching. Your vigilance is to be commended, readers of the Starbound thread

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Angry Diplomat posted:

It definitely is.

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.

Good thing we talk on Steam from time to time otherwise this would get out of controoooollllll!!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Bitter Beard posted:

Good thing we talk on Steam from time to time otherwise this would get out of controoooollllll!!

Poe's Law strikes again, again :doh:

MrLonghair posted:

What's the nuclear bomb mod of choice currently?

It's Skellies. I don't know anything about nuke mods but I know Skellies are the individual greatest mod of all time.

I may have spent last night doing jumps in a police car and laughing hysterically when my guy looked at a closet and said "maybe there's a me in there!"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I forgot I wrote that, haha. I get regular migraines from dust allergies so I left all that 'til then and I get a bit loopy

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Does anyone know of a server that's running the Skellies mod? My sibling and I want to engage COOPERATIVE SKELETON MODE but all the servers are racist against skeletons.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
What exactly is there to do after building the tier 10 weapons/set? Look for shitmonsters and other horrors? Are there any TL10 exclusive biomes/planets/etc I've missed?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Robot Randy posted:

What exactly is there to do after building the tier 10 weapons/set? Look for shitmonsters and other horrors? Are there any TL10 exclusive biomes/planets/etc I've missed?

There are lots of uncommon biomes both above and below ground, though I don't really know of anything exclusive to TL10 specifically. Explore, find cool guns, gather vanity items, transplant neat biomes to your home planet. It's basically all sandbox stuff once you hit the end of progression.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Really, past tier 3 or so it's all placeholder stuff. The 'game', such as it is, ends at tier 3 or 4.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Yup, UFO(EIFO), Robot, Dragon, Slime, then it's done.

I recommend starting a new character, maybe with a mod (LaserMiner, Skellies) and exploring again. I love the exploration aspect.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
This game would really benefit from some kind of procedurally generated mission system. That would make it feel like exploring all the planets once you've crafted everything has a point.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

Angry Diplomat posted:

Does anyone know of a server that's running the Skellies mod? My sibling and I want to engage COOPERATIVE SKELETON MODE but all the servers are racist against skeletons.

I run a server with the Skellies mod, along with a bunch of the other goon mods. Just connect to cafesmug.com. You can download the mods here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41307552/StarboundMods.zip

Right now there isn't a password but if people act weird or rude I will add one.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
As I said before, I put this game down for awhile until I discovered Skellies, which has led me to scouring the mod repository for interesting content. If you're not a vanilla purist, then here's a few I'd recommend so far that give the game some more mileage until future updates:

Skellies (of course): http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/skellies.994/
Be a rad skeleton dude or dudette, won't you?

Simple Extended Character Creation Mod: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/simple-extended-character-creation-mod-now-even-easier.218/
Needed to mod in custom races (like the dang Skellies)

Starfoundry :http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/starfoundry.1302/
Automate your base with hoppers, pipes, energy generators and batteries, gravity elevators, liquid extractors and more.

Planetside Teleporters: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/planetside-teleporters.1031/
As the name implies, teleport around a planet using custom coordinates. Pretty handy.

XS Corporation Mechs: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/xs-corporation-mechs.1341/
Badass mechs. Oorah.

Pixel Goods Store: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/pixel-goods-store.1348/
Buy custom furniture for pixels, neato!

Chemistry: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/chemistry.1710/
I haven't tried this one yet so I can't say if it works or not, but I can vouch for ISaidNo being an awesome coder from SS13, so I'm sure this is legit great.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

If anyone wants a reasonable forum title on the Starbound forum I'll totes hook you up.

Could I get "Lasssst Ssssane Floran"? Name is same as here.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

stuntwaffle posted:

As I said before :words:

Thanks for putting that together, that's fantastic and exactly what I had been looking for to bump it up on my server.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

AHungryRobot posted:

This game would really benefit from some kind of procedurally generated mission system. That would make it feel like exaploring all the planets once you've crafted everything has a point.

It's one of the things they said they were working on along with quest hub-y worlds right before the move. Im really looking forward to modding the poo poo out of both when they are out to include Skellies and with the custom race compatability mod including that stuff it'll be awesome.

Also you guys are too nice about the Skellies! Its still totally sloppy and half done!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Its still totally sloppy and half done!

So entirely fitting to the source material then?

Seriously skellies are excellent.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
hmm

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1027299776/witchmarsh

watch 14 year old nerds get mad about chucklefish publishing this game cause uhh y-yeah publishing takes time away from game development and y-you see we uh *pushes up glasses* we funded and INVESTED in Starbound!!

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/witchmarsh-progress-report.78901/

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Honestly not much different from regular shareholders

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Chrrrriiiiiiiist people are insufferable sometimes.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

script kitty posted:

I run a server with the Skellies mod, along with a bunch of the other goon mods. Just connect to cafesmug.com. You can download the mods here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41307552/StarboundMods.zip

Right now there isn't a password but if people act weird or rude I will add one.

I've been looking for a new multiplayer server and all these mods are new to me and pretty neat. Someone come on the server and explain em to me :v:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babyface Mingo posted:

hmm

watch 14 year old nerds get mad about chucklefish publishing this game cause uhh y-yeah publishing takes time away from game development and y-you see we uh *pushes up glasses* we funded and INVESTED in Starbound!!

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/witchmarsh-progress-report.78901/

I'm so ready to ban a nerd. :getin:

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Babyface Mingo posted:

hmm

The people that frequent the cesspit that is the official forums obviously have no taste because that poo poo looks cool as all heck. I'm getting a really cool Dark Souls meets Castlevania meets 1930s vibe from those combat screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Azzents posted:

The people that frequent the cesspit that is the official forums obviously have no taste because that poo poo looks cool as all heck. I'm getting a really cool Dark Souls meets Castlevania meets 1930s vibe from those combat screenshots.

Yeah that looks crazy-rear end good.

• Locked thread