Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Karmine posted:

I'm disappointed that they're calling it "mini sin limite" instead of "Wrestling Observer Con Limite." Am I the only one?
No. I'm a big pedant about stuff like that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Onmi posted:

he stopped being Cena's lifting buddy, Cesaro is now. Although supposedly Cena really wants to work with Big E, so he'll probably be facing him at SS or beyond.

I think it's more that he didn't get over fast enough for them and is kinda bad on promos

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
They didn't even let him try the five gimmick and it was in his loving song. They deliberately didn't let him do the thing that already got him over in NXT. They've turned 90% of the roster into jobbers, there was no harm in letting him pin Heath Slater, Sin Cara, Dolph Ziggler, etc. with five counts.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Tato posted:

They didn't even let him try the five gimmick and it was in his loving song. They deliberately didn't let him do the thing that already got him over in NXT. They've turned 90% of the roster into jobbers, there was no harm in letting him pin Heath Slater, Sin Cara, Dolph Ziggler, etc. with five counts.

How many gimmicks that started in NXT transitioned well into WWE?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jubs posted:

Well, one of the top heels on the main roster, for one.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Well, one of the top heels on the main roster, for one.

So one

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

What about Daniel Bryan?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
And some will say "The Shield!" but that wasn't their gimmick in NXT.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tato posted:

WWE Booking Committee Steps to Success:
1. New guy debuts, feature him on TV
2. Have him beat some people
3. Give him his first shirt
4. Put a mid-card belt on him
5. Make him lose every single week on TV
6. He's not over? gently caress this guy he sucks
7. Repeat
But how will we make sure he really wants it and won't leave to the NFL/Hollywood instead!! :argh:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Jubs posted:

As far as wrestling gimmicks go, I think "This guy is so badass he needs a five count to pin people" has a much more proven track record of success than "dances with bubbles," "dances with bunnies," and "this guy sucks but he's getting his doctorate." I think it was worth a shot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skunkrocker posted:

What about Daniel Bryan?

Didn't work in NXT in that form, and his gimmick now is pretty distinct from the American Dragon he was in developmental. And even if it wasn't, it'd be like saying Punk is an example.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Well let's look at the NXT callups that kept their gimmicks:

Emma: I think she could have gotten over if they didn't try to ram her down everyone's throats, and didn't stick her in that endless Santino/Fandango feud

Bray: NXT gimmick that's over

Rose: Not looking so good, but we'll see. So far is getting the Emma announcing treatment.

Paige: Doing pretty well with her NXT gimmick, about as well as a Diva can do really in the current product.

Rusev: I think his gimmick is doing just fine.

Bo: Vignettes are awesome, really curious to see how it goes

lol completely forgot about Xavier. I don't think that's the gimmick's fault though, really who is going to survive the "team up with R-Truth and lose a lot" treatment?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I remember laughing heartily at the Raw I went to in January when Fandango beat Xavier in like 40 seconds.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fandango seems to be slowly morphing back to his Greezy Johnny Curtis gimmick from NXT, for what it's worth.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Fandango seems to be slowly morphing back to his Greezy Johnny Curtis gimmick from NXT, for what it's worth.

Really, Summer Rae getting on Total Divas might have saved his career for the moment

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Umm there are three guys in the Wyatt Family try to keep up oatgan.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Emma's gimmick was more that she was kinda spaced out but also a great wrestler, but they made her the female Santino because they did one tag match in NXT that got over huge because it was a one time surprise thing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dude wtf is meltzer trying to say re racism on this podcast

"oh he said a million racist things and believed he should be allowed to be racist and for sure but I don't think he was racist" wha what's the criteria then dude

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

epitasis posted:

dude wtf is meltzer trying to say re racism on this podcast

"oh he said a million racist things and believed he should be allowed to be racist and for sure but I don't think he was racist" wha what's the criteria then dude

He doesn't think Watts is a racist who would discriminate against black people he thinks he was a hardcore libertarian who was prone to saying some really vile poo poo because he could. If he hated black people as much as his words indicated Ernie Ladd probably would have murdered him. Like right now there are probably some shop owners who don't actually hate gay people but they are so jazzed up on Ron Paul that they don't think the government should let make them serve them on general principle. Gay people probably still make them pretty uncomfortable though! Combine that with the stuff your Republican uncle says about black people being the real racists.

With all of that said Bill Watts was pretty loving vile and racist.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that's imbecilic meltz

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Dave just has trouble with the idea that someone can be racist, but like making money enough that they'll market to the race they look down on. His argument is that Watts pushed Ernie Ladd and JYD, right? A lot of men were sexists (and some still are), but a lot of their companies sold poo poo to women.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
A 4th Eric Bischoff part? I listened to the first three and didn't learn too much. Much of the time spent was talking about fly fishing, a reality tv show no one cares about, and Eric selling some beer in the Midwest. The only two interesting sentences was when he said Scott Hall came up with the Crow gimmick and when he tried to put some of the blame on Bret not doing anything in WCW on Owen dying. Anything interesting come out of this one?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
He mainly talks about his last few stints with WCW, trying to buy WCW, and then a little bit on his time with WWE. The rest of it is talk about his business ventures and life now.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No. Nothing. Out of 4 hours, nothing. Never need to hear Eric again. Also, Meltz said on the board that Hall didn't even see The Crow, he seen Nash (!!!) dressed as The Crow and suggested Sting copy him. hosed up.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Karmine posted:

I'm disappointed that they're calling it "mini sin limite" instead of "Wrestling Observer Con Limite." Am I the only one?
They should have ended before the mailbag and called it Wrestling Observer on Terra. :rimshot:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tato posted:

As far as wrestling gimmicks go, I think "This guy is so badass he needs a five count to pin people" has a much more proven track record of success than "dances with bubbles," "dances with bunnies," and "this guy sucks but he's getting his doctorate." I think it was worth a shot.

That, plus wrestling crowds love chanting things, especially numbers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

A 4th Eric Bischoff part? I listened to the first three and didn't learn too much. Much of the time spent was talking about fly fishing, a reality tv show no one cares about, and Eric selling some beer in the Midwest. The only two interesting sentences was when he said Scott Hall came up with the Crow gimmick and when he tried to put some of the blame on Bret not doing anything in WCW on Owen dying. Anything interesting come out of this one?

Probably the most interesting thing is hearing Bischoff talk about how he could see the writing on the wall months in advance with the merger being the end of WCW, when in a previous Austin show (recorded either the same day or the day before) he'd talked about how he'd brought in entirely to the idea that the AOL-Time Warner merger meant great things for the company and somebody had to explain to him that the merger was going to be the end of WCW.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I like that Eric Bischoff is so full of crap that he can't even keep his story straight in the same interview. no wonder him and Hogan get along.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Dave has such a great rapport with Sempervive and there actually seems to been an awareness of the outside world with him (I don't think Bryan would even know who Pele is). I know Bryan fashions himself as a big radio/podcast guy now but I'd much rather have Dave/Sempervive doing shows from now on.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Dave has such a great rapport with Sempervive and there actually seems to been an awareness of the outside world with him (I don't think Bryan would even know who Pele is). I know Bryan fashions himself as a big radio/podcast guy now but I'd much rather have Dave/Sempervive doing shows from now on.

Dave and Mike + Bryan and Vinnie would be cool

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Pisscast 40: For A Reason

I'm not sure we talk about anything

http://www.mediafire.com/download/f5y6hi5chlmk5zy/040+Wrestlehut+Pisscast.mp3

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 16, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jericho and Daniel Bryan's brief discussions of Vince during the latest podcast are really fascinating insights into this bizarre, bizarre old man. They basically just confirm things we've already heard, but stuff like Bryan saying,"I think there are still aspects of me that just enrage and confuse Vince" or Jericho recounting Vince approaching him and asking him worriedly,"Is it true that Bryan's a.... vegan.... :ohdear: " are hilarious

Bryan also recounts being fired by Vince, and how he left him speechless when he told him not to worry because he was going to make more money on the indies than he ever had before thanks to being in WWE, which Bryan credits with getting him hired back a couple months later.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan also recounts being fired by Vince, and how he left him speechless when he told him not to worry because he was going to make more money on the indies than he ever had before thanks to being in WWE, which Bryan credits with getting him hired back a couple months later.

The non-Shane McMahons have always had an incredulous streak. Stephanie had to fire Patrice O'Neal like four times because he didn't give enough of a poo poo when she called to fire him.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

oatgan posted:

Genital Custard & President Clit, brother!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

oatgan posted:

However, I did commission Karma Tornado to draw this lovely picture of famous horse-eater and Staind frontman Aaron Lewis, and had him send it to Karmine.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

However, I did commission Karma Tornado to draw this lovely picture of famous horse-eater and Staind frontman Aaron Lewis, and had him send it to Karmine.

So beautiful. There are no words.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New SNCJ is up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

New Attitude Era Podcast: Armageddon 1999.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Can't wait until they see Miss Royal Rumble 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
So many podcasts been released, but the punchsport podcast didn't record their crazy reactions post ROH? Or are they waiting to be disappointed by RAW before they can talk about how much cooler ROH was?

• Locked thread