Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Delusibeta posted:

Sales of sequels tend to depend heavily on how good the previous game in the series is considered. For example, Resi 5 did well because Resi 4 was considered very good, while Resi 6 bombed because Resi 5 was considered fairly rubbish. Halo 4 did well because Halo Reach was good, I expect Halo 5 to bomb because Halo 4 was considered poor.

This is funny as well because 5 is actually a good game, especially when compared to 6 which is loving hot trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

I have no idea how anyone can play any form of minecraft for any period of time and not think of anything else that would be more engaging that they could do instead, such as play an actual game.

The only thing worse is people who watch other people play minecraft on youtube.

I gave my nerdy little sister my 360 when I upgraded. Both Fallouts are on there, Skyrim is on there. Arkham Asylum and Origins along with Mass Effect 1&2 and other games I forget. All she uses it for is loving Minecraft. I consider taking it back everytime I hear that.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

/\/\/\/\ Except that ODST, developed by Bungie, sold (relatively) poorly compared to Halo 3 and Reach (which it was sandwhiched between), despite 3 and Reach both being considered excellent games that both sold very well. If it seems like Halo 5 is headed in a direction that fans like, it will do fine sales wise and sell consoles. If it seems like more of the same after Halo 4, sales will be hurt but itll still sell fairly well (like ODST and Halo 4).

pfft, who has time for minecraft, I have to spend the next 3 hours grinding levels in Dark Souls so I can fight the next boss. I am the only one who understands what is fun and am unable to comprehend that other people are entertained by different things

you don't grind in Dark Souls

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

you don't grind in Dark Souls

would you feel better about it if I changed 'levels' to 'souls'?

\/\/\/\/ ohhh, gotcha. I thought he was being a pedantic butthole but maybe not.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 16, 2014

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
He just means it's not grinding because it's so fun :allears:.

"Farming" might be more applicable, whatever.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

He just means it's not grinding because it's so fun :allears:.

"Farming" might be more applicable, whatever.

You don't grind or farm in those games unless you're sequence breaking or trying to plat it. That's what he's saying.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I gave my 5 year old son my 360 when I bought the one. He uses it purely for minecraft (used to play crackdown 1), and now that I've realized how much fun it is, we play minecraft together most nights for 20-30 minutes.

As a guy who grey up a member of the LEGO master race decades ago, minecraft is a hell of a lot of fun. My 12 year old creates amazing things using only her iphone and minecraft. I dig it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Funkmaster General posted:

35 times bigger than the 360 version isn't comparable to the PC version because the world size on the PC version is literally infinite.
[...]
The issue with consoles is save file size and the restrictions Microsoft and Sony put upon them.

It's extremely big, millions of times larger than the surface area of the Earth, but it's not literally infinite.

The save file size limit I could believe, though.

e:

eyebeem posted:

I gave my 5 year old son my 360 when I bought the one. He uses it purely for minecraft (used to play crackdown 1), and now that I've realized how much fun it is, we play minecraft together most nights for 20-30 minutes.

I've only played it solo, but I can easily see how it would be more fun in multiplayer, since you could accomplish all the lovely mining and crafting (:haw:) twice as fast.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 16, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You don't grind or farm in those games unless you're sequence breaking or trying to plat it. That's what he's saying.

Or unless you want to get souls for an upgrade or something? There's tons of situations in the game where grinding for a bit might be something a person tries.

poo poo like "Man I really want to use this weapon but I need a couple more points in Strength"

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Dan Didio posted:

Yes, it sold well, but it also experienced an incredibly sharp and severe drop-off in players. Now that Bungie is making another sci-fi shooter and the only Halo games are 343, there might not be as many people rushing to get it. Hell, there definitely won't be.

The point being that Halo 4 selling well doesn't mean much of anything after it's abysmal post-release decline. Wether or not Halo 5 sells well will be really telling.

Yeah, isn't Destiny out in September? Current bungie vs re-hashed bungie will be interesting.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Soonmot posted:

I gave my nerdy little sister my 360 when I upgraded. Both Fallouts are on there, Skyrim is on there. Arkham Asylum and Origins along with Mass Effect 1&2 and other games I forget. All she uses it for is loving Minecraft. I consider taking it back everytime I hear that.

God how dare she genuinely enjoy the gift you gave her. Take that poo poo back until she promises to adhere to your superior tastes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Oh how'd I miss this, you sound like a massive dick dude.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is there a consensus on Super Time Force? I got bored with Braid and never finished, but this game looks really cool...

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Soonmot posted:

This isn't gamers.txt and you should really source your quotes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wheezle posted:

God how dare she genuinely enjoy the gift you gave her. Take that poo poo back until she promises to adhere to your superior tastes.

Better yet, till she's a PC gamer (master race.)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Nuts and Gum posted:

Is there a consensus on Super Time Force? I got bored with Braid and never finished, but this game looks really cool...

I haven't heard a single person say anything bad about it other than that the basic concept wasn't interesting to them or that it's a bit short. It isn't anything at all like Braid. Do it.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
I think the only reason I'd consider an xbox one would be Forza 5, I think thats about the only game that looks any good (not that I've looked much) and those types of racing games are a dime a dozen

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Halo 4 also still sold like 10 million copies despite being a piece of poo poo. People buy Halo games and some people will buy a console just to play the new Halo game. I doubt it will be as many as they want, but it will undoubtedly still sell some consoles.

Edit - I just looked it up. Halo 4 sold around 9 million copies, substantially more than Halo 2 (6ish million) and a decent bit less than Halo 3 (11ish million). People are still going to buy Halo. Its a pretty significant exclusive.

Edit 2 - I forgot Halo Reach was actually the last Bungie developed Halo game. It sold 9.5 million copies, only slightly more than the non Bungie Halo 4.

A lot less people are going to own Xbox Ones when 5 comes out compared to people owning 360s for 4. It'll sell some systems for sure but I don't think it will sell systems like Halo 3 did.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Soonmot posted:

You sound like a big, flabby retard.

Spacebump posted:

A lot less people are going to own Xbox Ones when 5 comes out compared to people owning 360s for 4. It'll sell some systems for sure but I don't think it will sell systems like Halo 3 did.

Crazier things have happened with less notable franchises. Maybe the want for new, exclusive titles will outweigh the damage Halo 4 did to the franchise's rep.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Dan Didio posted:

Crazier things have happened with less notable franchises. Maybe the want for new, exclusive titles will outweigh the damage Halo 4 did to the franchise's rep.

I see the point but I'm not sure that want will be a $399.00 want.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Halo 5 will sell systems but I think Halo's star has faded a lot. It isn't the Prime FPS Franchise on the market anymore and by the time it hits there will be a lot of competition even on just the X-Box One.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
Latest dasbhoard update is rolling out to everyone starting tonight. It has the main/snapped app volume mixer, a setting to control how much your volume lowers when you use Kinect for chat and an optional setting to improve Kinect voice recognition.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I really enjoyed it. Took me 6 hours on my first playthrough. I've also unlocked Super Hardcore Mode now, which I'm going to play thorough again with. That's the mode where each character can only die once unless you save them.

The 360 has a trial if you want to see what it plays like.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sedisp posted:

This isn't gamers.txt and you should really source your quotes.

Considering what he was quoting, I think it was a joke.

Still though, what kind of monster would do that. :ohdear:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

ImpAtom posted:

Halo 5 will sell systems but I think Halo's star has faded a lot. It isn't the Prime FPS Franchise on the market anymore and by the time it hits there will be a lot of competition even on just the X-Box One.

It'll probably release close to the next COD game too.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Not only that, it will be the first of the 3 year dev cycle CODs, right? Treyarch will have had 3 years since Black Ops 2 to work on it.

ah, I didn't realize they had the full 3 years to work on it.
VVVVV

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 17, 2014

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Call of Spacey is the first three year title I think.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Soonmot posted:

Why?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I've been flying the Treyarch flag since CoD3, and their next CoD is gonna be the tits. You fools better recognize.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

I've been flying the Treyarch flag since CoD3, and their next CoD is gonna be the tits. You fools better recognize.

It better ripoff Titanfall really drat hard because I tried going back to CoD during that free weekend and I just couldn't enjoy it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I'd like CoD a lot more if it had unlimited sprint like all its loving competitors. That goes for any CoD.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Soonmot posted:

lol

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Barudak posted:

It better ripoff Titanfall really drat hard because I tried going back to CoD during that free weekend and I just couldn't enjoy it.

Well Ghosts is the worst CoD ever released so it's understandable. I'd play BO1/BO2 over TF any day.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Doubtful. I was in the teen/early adult demographic when Halo was popular, and nobody would stop talking about it. The ability to be a gigantic manchild supersoldier who had an eyecandy blue lady following him around, and who everyone wanted to jerk off was most of the appeal to the average gamer at the time.

That's gone now. ODST ( 2-3 million ) was them trying something new. Reach ( 4-5 million ) was sold mainly on nostalgia. Halo 3 ( 12 million + ) was the end of the series for most people. 4 ( 3 million ) had some good early momentum due to being a numbered title I imagine, but 5 will have to contend with how disliked 4 was, along with launching on a poorly performing system ( When Halo 4 launched there was what, 70 million 360s, Halo 5 will be launching to 4-5 million. Hampers sales a bit. ).

What I'm saying is none of the college kids I know care about Halo anymore, they care about CoD. Same with all my cousins in High School. The people who used to be big into Halo are out of college now and care about indie games, dota, or have moved on to CoD. Microsoft's core demographic grew up, and I'll be surprised if Halo 5 breaks 4 million. And I'm being real generous with 4 million, because that's saying every single person who owns an Xbox One will also go out and buy Halo 5 on release day.

Just let it sink in for a bit that the last major title in the Halo franchise in terms of sales launched 9 years ago.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 18, 2014

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Regardless of sales, Reach was the best Halo. Guess that's why I'm looking forward to Destiny more than Halo 5. I hope the Halo 2 Anniversary rumor is true though, I'd like to play those maps again and 343 could probably manage to uprezz it a la Halo Anniversary without messing it up.

e: Also you guys saying Ghosts is worse than CoD3 got me :lol:in'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Doubtful. I was in the teen/early adult demographic when Halo was popular, and nobody would stop talking about it. The ability to be a gigantic manchild supersoldier who had an eyecandy blue lady following him around, and who everyone wanted to jerk off was most of the appeal to the average gamer at the time.

That's gone now. ODST ( 2-3 million ) was them trying something new. Reach ( 4-5 million ) was sold mainly on nostalgia. Halo 3 ( 12 million + ) was the end of the series for most people. 4 ( 3 million ) had some good early momentum due to being a numbered title I imagine, but 5 will have to contend with how disliked 4 was, along with launching on a poorly performing system ( When Halo 4 launched there was what, 70 million 360s, Halo 5 will be launching to 4-5 million. Hampers sales a bit. ).

What I'm saying is none of the college kids I know care about Halo anymore, they care about CoD. Same with all my cousins in High School. The people who used to be big into Halo are out of college now and care about indie games, dota, or have moved on to CoD. Microsoft's core demographic grew up, and I'll be surprised if Halo 5 breaks 4 million. And I'm being real generous with 4 million, because that's saying every single person who owns an Xbox One will also go out and buy Halo 5 on release day.

Just let it sink in for a bit that the last major title in the Halo franchise in terms of sales launched 9 years ago.

I'm not sure where you're getting 3 million for Halo 4 but it sold around 9 million worldwide. It sold more than 3 million copies in its first day. People didn't like it much but it wasn't a bomb. In the year it was released it was the 3rd best selling game overall and the best selling single SKU game in that year. Both versions of CoD outpaced it (as did Madden in the US). Halo 3 was still the best seller of the franchise though.

Halo 5 is pretty unlikely to do Halo 4 numbers though, you are correct, and a bigger question will be if it is a big system seller.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 18, 2014

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting 3 million for Halo 4 but it sold around 9 million worldwide. It sold more than 3 million copies in its first day. People didn't like it much but it wasn't a bomb. In the year it was released it was the 3rd best selling game overall and the best selling single SKU game in that year. Both versions of CoD outpaced it (as did Madden in the US). Halo 3 was still the best seller of the franchise though.

Halo 5 is pretty unlikely to do Halo 4 numbers though, you are correct, and a bigger question will be if it is a big system seller.

People consider Halo 4 a bomb not necessarily because of its sales but because of how quickly the multiplayer scene evaporated, especially given the long tails of Halo 2 and 3.

Also the story was duuuuuumb. They really shoulda left Chief floating forever in space and just picked a new space marine.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

As much as I like to champion Halo 3 as the ~Ultimate Console Shooter~ thanks to its heavy focus on team play and balance (if you didnt work as a team, you were basically hosed) by todays standards, that gameplay is well and truly outdated.

Things like Sprint, Loadouts and kill streaks are all things people expect in FPS games and halo doesnt really work with those mechanics in place, as evidenced by Halo 4. Once you start rewarding individuals (kill/score streak rewards) for their efforts over the efforts of a team (map control, power weapon holding, tactical play) it loses the incentive to work together and becomes a camp fest.

343's lovely management of the community and multiplayer didnt help either.

I had a lot of fun playing H3 and H4, but I played significantly more H3 - and that was along side MW1 and MW2, which I also sunk a lot of time into.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 19, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Wheany posted:

It's extremely big, millions of times larger than the surface area of the Earth, but it's not literally infinite.

I believe it is until you hit problems with 64bit limitations. Though after a certain part chunks start getting overwritten and poo poo breaks down. There is an edge but you can go beyond the edge.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Rookersh posted:

When Halo 4 launched there was what, 70 million 360s, Halo 5 will be launching to 4-5 million

The xbone has over 5 million sales now, how would it only have 4-5 million when Halo 5 ships in a year? And no one expects Halo 5 to sell 10 million copies obviously, but it will sell relatively well and most likely help move consoles.

Barudak posted:

I had a similar experience. I booted up Blops2 for the first time in like a year a few weekends ago and found it nearly unplayable. I have never been a real CoD fan in general but I usually fire it up every few months and get a weekend of fun out of it. After playing BF4 and Titanfall, Blops just felt insanely restrictive. I know that a ton of people prefer it for various reasons, but it just feels so limited compared to the massive maps and tons of vehicles and possibilities of BF4 and it basically feels like a lovely, half finished mod of TF at this point. I felt that TF was a nice step forward for the genre when it came out, but I hadnt actually played CoD since TF came out. TF feels like a much bigger step forward having played both in the same day now. The 3 act structure and insane movement options are a huge step forward, not to mention the balance and interplay between titans and pilots and the superbly designed maps.

Edit - Basically I never really liked CoD but couldnt put a finger on why and getting back in to the Battlefield series and then playing a lot of Titanfall really helped me understand CoD's shortcomings.

Edit/Reply - Its kinda hard to tell, as far as i know. Typically it just counts shipped I think.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

The xbone has over 5 million sales now, how would it only have 4-5 million when Halo 5 ships in a year? And no one expects Halo 5 to sell 10 million copies obviously, but it will sell relatively well and most likely help move consoles.

Are there any actual console sales figures yet? All I've seen are stats about consoles sold to stores, not to actual customers.

• Locked thread