Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I will vote for whomever promises me a First Tiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Berke Negri posted:

Dramatic political shootings of gun control figures is the only thing that I imagine could change the paradigm over the gun debate. Once the more unstable gun collecting types start using their guns for concerted political violence and not just, "I am a crazy person, I think I shall go shoot up a kindergarten today," type incidents will people be forced to put a clamp on the issue.

If we were living in a sane and functional democracy, 20 first graders getting shot to death by a heavily armed lunatic would have been the tipping point.

The fact that Congress is so utterly terrified of the NRA that in response they couldn't even support background checks for gun buyers, despite 90% public approval for such a thing, proves otherwise.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
The first CEO we elect to be president will have a tiger gold-chained to the desk in the oval office.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

AegisP posted:

If it has to go to Senate confirmation, is there a possibility the Republicans just hold it up?

"Proceed, Senators." :getin:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BUSH 2112 posted:

The first CEO we elect to be president will have a tiger gold-chained to the desk in the oval office.

Already came and went, GWB. :sigh:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If we were living in a sane and functional democracy, 20 first graders getting shot to death by a heavily armed lunatic would have been the tipping point.

The fact that Congress is so utterly terrified of the NRA that in response they couldn't even support background checks for gun buyers, despite 90% public approval for such a thing, proves otherwise.

Don't forget that in the ultimate insult a bunch of gun-people from the Second Amendment Foundation tried to get the anniversary named "Guns Save Lives Day." When they changed it due to national outcry, they issued this pithy non-apology

quote:

Guns Save Lives Day is on December 15, 2013, Bill of Rights Day, the day after the Anniversary of Newtown. We plan to honor these victims by doing everything within our power to prevent misguided gun control laws from leaving Americans defenseless or worse victims.

Remember we desperately need guns to protect us from danger that coincidentally involves maniacs with guns. I have no idea what sort of gun control works, but to people like that, any massacre is just going to be an excuse to say that we need more guns in more places.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Radish posted:

Don't forget that in the ultimate insult a bunch of gun-people from the Second Amendment Foundation tried to get the anniversary named "Guns Save Lives Day." When they changed it due to national outcry, they issued this pithy non-apology

Remember we desperately need guns to protect us from danger that coincidentally involves maniacs with guns. I have no idea what sort of gun control works, but to people like that, any massacre is just going to be an excuse to say that we need more guns in more places.

Meanwhile, this is what DC area magazines are often on the racks (because mid-Atlantic/border of the Confederacy + high military vet concentration (saw this grocery shopping today):

Lawmakers see this, all the time. People see this. They think how cool it is, how many police/military there are. How people with these would never get killed by bad guys. They feel fear is the only way to create a "polite society."

Fear and accessorizing. Truly the American way.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dapper Dan posted:

Which is a pretty good idea, because raccoons are pretty much loaded to the gills with some nasty parasites that cooking doesn't really get rid of.

The raccoons people are eating are forest raccoons and they're good eating at that.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Blindeye posted:

Meanwhile, this is what DC area magazines are often on the racks (because mid-Atlantic/border of the Confederacy + high military vet concentration (saw this grocery shopping today):

Lawmakers see this, all the time. People see this. They think how cool it is, how many police/military there are. How people with these would never get killed by bad guys. They feel fear is the only way to create a "polite society."

Why is everything always called "tactical"? What's even remotely tactical about this?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Blindeye posted:

Magazines like that look like they belong in the world of Borderlands or some other game, but they're real. I can't believe they're real.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hedera Helix posted:

Why is everything always called "tactical"? What's even remotely tactical about this?

It's roughly the equivalent of labeling something organic.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Samurai Sanders posted:

Magazines like that look like they belong in the world of Borderlands or some other game, but they're real. I can't believe they're real.

There are like a dozen like that at my grocery store, and I'm in Seattle :wtf:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone know why I keep seeing federal buildings with flags at half mast around San Francisco today? I haven't been able to find anything

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Blindeye posted:

This is the stupidest thing. You only really need 4 guns max. A semi-auto shotgun because gently caress going trap shooing with a pump. A 10-22 as a target practice rifle because ammo for them is comically cheep. A high caliber rifle for hunting / long range shooting. A black power rifle because they're loving awesome. And if you really want, a hand gun or two.

Everything else is literally a waste of money, especially all the "tacticool" poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Magres posted:

Anyone know why I keep seeing federal buildings with flags at half mast around San Francisco today? I haven't been able to find anything

Not sure if this answers your question, but

http://www.dailyflagstatus.com/14.html

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not sure if this answers your question, but

http://www.dailyflagstatus.com/14.html

No dice, but thanks! That's a good resource.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

A black power rifle because they're loving awesome.

Though I know what you meant to type, I think the typo is what we really need in the world.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

A Winner is Jew posted:

This is the stupidest thing. You only really need 4 guns max. A semi-auto shotgun because gently caress going trap shooing with a pump. A 10-22 as a target practice rifle because ammo for them is comically cheep. A high caliber rifle for hunting / long range shooting. A black power rifle because they're loving awesome. And if you really want, a hand gun or two.

Everything else is literally a waste of money, especially all the "tacticool" poo poo.

gently caress going trap shooting with a semi-auto, get an over-under. Keep the semi or pump around for just shooting poo poo with a shotgun.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Hedera Helix posted:

Do you know any severe gun-culture types? I've seen one guy who had a tac'd out Ruger SR-22, made to look like it was police issue rather than a varmint-killer. Every dumbass bell and whistle you could want for a gun, I even mistook it for a higher-cal rifle and initially criticized him because the stupid thing would've shot through his suburban slapdash house walls. He posted pictures, with smug captions about "Home defense" so I assumed he was thinking some kind of gang invasion last-stand scenario instead of just jerking off with his heavy double-price varmint/target rifle. Taught me the value of talking to dudes who chose Arizona.

It relates to the (correct) view posted by a few in this thread, about guns serving as totems more than tools for many users. I own some, but they're locked and I don't bother stocking ammo until the week before some shooting. You're supposed to be able to use your red dot sight, in tandem with your forward pistol grip and under-folder stock, supplemented by your taped-together double magazine and strategic muzzle brake and/or threaded barrel end, to essentially live out some videogame fantasy. Don't call the cops, bad guys could be taking your high school trophy or something, and burglars always loudly forewarn homeowners while often showing up in groups of ten or more. This is a sane concern for a suburban divorced dad, and not a weird fantasy for some reason.

e: Agreed about the S/A shotgun and any decent .22, they're the most practical choices. My others were inherited and are basically relics since they're break-barrels from before the Titanic sank.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 18, 2014

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A Winner is Jew posted:

I feel the same way. I've mentioned it before but drat present day gun advertising weirds me out in the same way I'd be rather confused about John Deere attempting to sell a person on a 1/8 acre lot a 9330 (massive tractor easily capable of planting two dozen rows of seed in a pass).

When I think of guns I think of stuff like this:

which oddly enough are often considerably more expensive that some crazy "tactical" abomination.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Samurai Sanders posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YRyhqsUgag
:torgue:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I love that loving game. Guns are so much fun when they're candy-colored and firing exploding rocket-bullets at psychos yelling "You're going to be my next meat bicycle!"

Not so much in real life though.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Samurai Sanders posted:

I love that loving game. Guns are so much fun when they're candy-colored and firing exploding rocket-bullets at psychos yelling "You're going to be my next meat bicycle!"

Not so much in real life though.
An actual quote from Mr. Torgue: "...I was like, gently caress IT! GIVE EVERYONE GUNS! We lost half our workforce in three days, but WHO GIVES A gently caress?" Also: "NOTHING IS MORE BADASS THAN TREATING A WOMAN WITH RESPECT."

:torgue:

That's enough of this derail.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Magres posted:

Peace Officers Memorial Day / Police Week

We got an email about it where I work.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Uhh excuse me, last I checked it was important to have an AK around, if only to measure the quality of one's day.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Gun advocates are long past the point where some external event could persuade them to change course.

Basically the only chance is to not talk about it for a decade and hope next time it's less polarizing for some reason.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Babylon Astronaut posted:

No way. The American people have accepted that all mass shootings are isolated incidents unrelated to lax gun control. It would take armed minorities, or the homeless.

100% this.

The thing there is that if you accept guns as dangers that we, as a society, choose to have, a la sports cars or alcohol, then the death rate associated with mass shootings really is low enough to warrant treating them as outlier events. If you accept the aforementioned premise, then it really is perfectly reasonable to disregard mass shootings when considering policy.

Point being, it's an intractable problem. Mass shootings are a non-starter, and there's wonderful precedent for the arming of minorities manipulating legislation in favor of firearms legislation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Everybody who likes guns should have an AK. They are the best machine, to say nothing of the best gun.

And I will also confirm that raccoons are juicy and packed with flavor.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shifty Pony posted:

I feel the same way. I've mentioned it before but drat present day gun advertising weirds me out in the same way I'd be rather confused about John Deere attempting to sell a person on a 1/8 acre lot a 9330 (massive tractor easily capable of planting two dozen rows of seed in a pass).

When I think of guns I think of stuff like this:

which oddly enough are often considerably more expensive that some crazy "tactical" abomination.

Those are more expensive because they're likely well-made and aren't covered in gaudy poo poo that'll break or jam because it's made with the cheapest plastic they could get their hands on. Those tools can have their accessory-as-a-gun poo poo, give me a nice bolt-action rifle :golgo:

Mr. Satan Torgue is wonderful. :allears:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hedera Helix posted:

WHY YOU WANT RAIL FOR KALASHNIKOV? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PROCURED FROM IZHEVSK MECHANICAL WORKS? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH ARMY OF RUSSIA! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, TRADE STORY OF MANY WEAPONS DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR ENGINEERING!

OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN WEAPON IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE RUSSIAN RIFLE, THINK IT NEED CRAZY poo poo STICK ON ALL SIDES OF WEAPON. YOU HAVE DISEASE OF AMERICAN CAPITALIST, CHANGE THING THAT IS FINE FOR NO REASON EXCEPT TO LOOK DIFFERENT FROM COMRADE. YOU PUT CHEAP FLASHLIGHT OF CHINESE SLAVE FACTORY ON ONE SIDE, YOU PUT BAD SCOPE OF AMERICAN MIDDLE WEST ON OTHER SIDE, YOU PUT FRONT PISTOL GRIP ON BOTTOM SO YOU ARE LIKE AMERICAN MOVIE GUY JOHN RAMBO. MAYBE YOU PUT SEX DILDO ON TOP TO gently caress YOURSELF IN rear end in a top hat FOR MAKING SHAMEFUL TRAVESTY OF RIFLE OF MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, NO?

RIFLE IS FINE. YOU gently caress IT, IT ONLY GET HEAVY AND YOU STILL NO HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN. GO TO FIRING RANGE, PRACTICE WITH MANY MAGAZINE OF CARTRIDGE. THEN YOU NOT NEED DUMB poo poo PUT ON SIDE OF RIFLE.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Russian special forces love to stick tacticool poo poo on AKs nowadays but they don't have a :911:citizen marksman tradition:911: so they mount them super tall and don't get a proper cheek weld.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'd say just a handgun and shotgun, but then I'm of the opinion that 4 am is better spent rolling over and going back to sleep than going out in cold damp woods to wait and see if I'll get a chance to shoot a deer.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Radish posted:

I just don't think people think out these things. I remember people were talking about how Virginia Tech could be prevented while ignoring that nobody really knew what was going on until late in the day and by that time the shooter had already killed himself. Not to mention, most of these shooters are much more prepared than any John Doe with a CHL who may or may not shoot the wrong person.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

comes along bort posted:

YOU PUT SEX DILDO ON TOP TO gently caress YOURSELF IN rear end in a top hat FOR MAKING SHAMEFUL TRAVESTY OF RIFLE OF MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, NO?

So that means black dildos are considered tactical now?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

Depends on whether it can mount to things. Suction, standalone (if so, flared or no?). Does it take picatinny rails? Get specific, dude.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Solkanar512 posted:

Much, perhaps all, of TFR exists to answer this specific question.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

sweart gliwere posted:

Depends on whether it can mount to things. Suction, standalone (if so, flared or no?). Does it take picatinny rails? Get specific, dude.

Writing a script that replaces all instance of gun/firearm forum mentions with dildo/butt plug of various colors, textures, and sizes.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

agarjogger posted:

Writing a script that replaces all instance of gun/firearm forum mentions with dildo/butt plug of various colors, textures, and sizes.

Hell yeah. Desert-camo double-dong underslung with a side-folding stock made of lexan dildos melted-together into a fine piece of bracing equipment. Toss that poo poo in the locker at your YMCA, if they don't try to shut down your 2a rights at the door. If so, try the next location, or use a bigger duffel bag. Don't forget the IR scope for peeping on your tactical opponents' biological equipment in daylight hours, Sony discontinued production of those Handycams but there are aftermarket conversions for suburban scoping. Semper penes.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Oh my god how i hate gunchat outside of gun thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

That was beautiful, friend comrade.

• Locked thread