Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Comstar posted:

What's the current state of playing Baldur's gate? After 10+ years I finally have time to actually finish it - my last attempt stalled after the maze dungeon in BG II. Is it worth getting the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition I and II now? I can't find the gently caress, Baldur's Gate thread, so I guess it's in the archives now.

I didn't think there was a huge difference in the experience. However, being able to play it on a tablet while commuting can mean the difference between having time to finish it and not, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm looking to get one of the Etrian Odyssey games on 3DS. But which one would be better to start with? I know Millenium Girl is a remake of 1 and I'm not too bothered by story connections or anything so, which of the two plays the best? Thanks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4 plays the best, Untold has an actual story (though it's kind of eh). Pick whichever one you care about more.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

Paperhouse posted:

Will I really miss that much without using a guide? I'd prefer not to unless it means missing out on recruiting characters or getting a good ending or whatever. Also related to that, any tips for how I should build my characters if not using a guide? There's a lot of scope for customisation and I'm not sure what abilities I should have my characters learning. So far the critical hit rate up skill seems really useful, magic seems a bit crap and takes ages

Yeah, it really is the kind of game where sidequest flags pop up then disappear like crazy, and certain characters have insanely small windows of opportunity to recruit. This is also the game where the main advertisement focused on the 42 possible endings; lots of different combos of endings, mostly based on relationship values. 7 hours would put you around the military academy, yes? Been a few years, but I remember the critical skills being pretty good. They cancel attacks too from what I recall.

In regards to magic, certain enemies in the future will be either too far away or too magic resistant to make physical attacks feasible. Blocking also becomes a thing. A certain boss in the future will tend to teleport around the arena everytime you get close. Magic also gains larger areas of effect and become insanely useful. Support magic is essential. Fran will be your best mage for a long while. MC is your tank; get dash on him as soon as it is available. Double and triple attack later in the game will increase the chance of status ailment proc and vastly increase damage output. Don't bother with ailments though, they are rarely worthwhile.

I used a very non-spoilery guide on GameFaqs for what it worth. I felt that I wanted maximum enjoyment the first time through instead of sitting through prologue/ main story again.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Comstar posted:

What's the current state of playing Baldur's gate? After 10+ years I finally have time to actually finish it - my last attempt stalled after the maze dungeon in BG II. Is it worth getting the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition I and II now? I can't find the gently caress, Baldur's Gate thread, so I guess it's in the archives now.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586742 is the new thread.

BG1:EE is solid now after some patches.

BG2:EE is a little buggy and needs a fix patch. It's perfectly playable/beatable but there are some annoying things. Hopefully it should get that patch soon. Case in point:

Zilkin posted:

Now that they've released Android BGEE, hopefully BG2EE patch is next on their to-do list. I've got access to BG2EE beta, and know for a fact that many of the issues have actually been fixed months ago, but for whatever reason they haven't bothered releasing a public patch since November.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 17, 2014

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Eggie posted:

I'll wait a bit before starting Witcher 2. Maybe I'll play Planescape: Torment or Shadowrun Returns in the meantime.

SRR and Shadowrun Dragonfall (the DLC) are nice little games. Dragonfall is better than the base game though, so if you have to pick either, go for the second. The first one is not bad but it tends to piss off some Shadowrun fans for some reason so :shrug:.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does anyone know how exactly do the BGM DLCs work in Atelier Escha & Logy?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Comstar posted:

If you own an easily installed copy of both, there's not much advantage. BG 1 I can see not wanting to do all the modding you need to do to use the BG2 features in it. For BG 2,unless you really want the new npcs or to transfer a character from bg1 EE to BG 2 you only really need to install 3 mods to get mostly the same thing (fix pack, tweak pack and wide-screen).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Does anyone know how exactly do the BGM DLCs work in Atelier Escha & Logy?

You set them from your options menu and they are by situation. (There are multiple battle BGMs for example and you can replace each one.) You have some BGMs by default from previous Atelier games (and spinoffs IIRC) and can buy more.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The only issue I had with the music in EO4 was how bad it sounds on the XL's speakers.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ImpAtom posted:

You set them from your options menu and they are by situation. (There are multiple battle BGMs for example and you can replace each one.) You have some BGMs by default from previous Atelier games (and spinoffs IIRC) and can buy more.

By the way I was very disappointed to find out that Ayesha had music from like the entire Atelier game history but Escha&Logy only has music from the PS3 ones. I wonder why they reduced that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

By the way I was very disappointed to find out that Ayesha had music from like the entire Atelier game history but Escha&Logy only has music from the PS3 ones. I wonder why they reduced that.

"Sell more DLC" is probably the only real answer.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
But they don't! The only Escha&Logy song pack includes the PS3 songs, while the only Ayesha pack includes the entire series. If there was a second Escha&Logy pack with the old stuff I'd get that, but it doesn't exist for whatever reason.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

How in the world could anyone say that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCZjnuS6ESc

This is so incredibly high energy, I love it. I haven't heard a battle track like this since Grandia II.

It makes me wonder what else I've missed insofar as RPGs go on the DS/3DS.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

BloodWulfe posted:

Yeah, I'd like to hear some suggestions on those systems too now that I've got a 3DS and am catching up on titles I missed. (And I was real bad about buying DS stuff since I got that late/got laid off after.) So far I'm at... uh... EO4, SMT4, and KH:3D.

Maybe Young Justice: Legacy if we want to call that abortion an SRPG.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yeah, I'd like to hear some suggestions on those systems too now that I've got a 3DS and am catching up on titles I missed. (And I was real bad about buying DS stuff since I got that late/got laid off after.) So far I'm at... uh... EO4, SMT4, and KH:3D.

Have you played Radiant Historia? That might be the best RPG on the DS, or at least in the discussion.

Also putting my hat in the "EO4's OST owns" crowd.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Radiant Historia is pretty great, as recommended above.

Also on the DS, I kind of like Sands of Destruction. The story is...okay. Premise is interesting, but it kind of falls apart in spots, especially at the end. And the difficulty curve also takes a steep dive at the end. But the battle system is pretty interesting, and I've busted through it in about 20 hours, which includes all the end game side quests. So if you can get it for a decent price, it's a short, fairly fun romp.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

BloodWulfe posted:

This is so incredibly high energy, I love it. I haven't heard a battle track like this since Grandia II.

FWIW that linked theme is the first half's default battle theme. The second half game's is probably the best normal battle theme in all of Etrian Odyssey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1_7UQHIDcA

The best theme is still probably the boss remix they keep doing in each game though. It's already been linked here.

I echo the earlier comments that the FOE music is pretty mediocre and sounds a little out of place. But I think that track is always a little shaky in every EO. I didn't like one of the boss tracks either.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Radiant Historia has an excellent story and likeable main character, but the gameplay begins to drag a bit after a while. It's a very good story and the developers put a lot of effort into it, but they didn't have enough of a budget.

Interesting RPG's on the DS include Dragon Quest Monster Joker, DQ9, and the SaGa games have translations. DQM has some issues but I found the fusing parts interesting. SaGa is a little weird but Saga3DS had a shitton of improvements and seems to give you more information than other games in the series. The Saga3DS fan translation had a lot of effort put into it too.

E: The World Ends with You and Fire Emblem Awakening are also beautiful games. Like, TWEWY might be the best game on the DS.

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 18, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I would recommend The World Ends With You, except that if you find a copy of that then you might as well enter the lottery as well because despite being one of SE's best, original, and fun RPGs in over a decade, I don't think it sold terribly well and they didn't make a billion copies of it like every other one of their games.

The Mario and Luigi games are fun, but I warn you to prepare for some hand holding for every puzzle. If you only get one, I recommend Bowser's Inside Story.

When it comes to strategy/tactics games, check out Devil Survivor: Overclocked. The sequel isn't as good, nor does it have a 3DS version. Also, Fire Emblem: Awakening is a popular choice as well.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Throw in Etrian Odyssey Untold into the mix, it's a pretty good remix of the first game. Not as good as 4 though IMO but the music is still pretty great in that they slowed the pace down but it's full of jams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c99UIQY5ORE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS6FPBwR58Q

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Fire Emblem and Bravely Default ... probably.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 18, 2014

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yeah, I'd like to hear some suggestions on those systems too now that I've got a 3DS and am catching up on titles I missed.

The only three DS/3DS RPGs I've played are Radiant Historia, Suikoden Tierkreis, and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Radiant Historia is fantastic with some faults, but an easy recommendation. Suikoden Tierkreis is pretty fun so long as you're not expecting a traditional Suikoden game. It also has one of my favorite recent boss themes. SMT4 is a ton of fun if you dig the SMT "parlay and fuse with demons to build your party" gameplay, and the non-traditional RPG aesthetic. The beginning is a bit plodding, but it opens up pretty quickly.

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

I'm about to start DQ8 is there anything I should know going in?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

remeez posted:

Cor Blimey!

That's all.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Rascyc posted:

FWIW that linked theme is the first half's default battle theme. The second half game's is probably the best normal battle theme in all of Etrian Odyssey

Rascyc posted:

Throw in Etrian Odyssey Untold into the mix, it's a pretty good remix of the first game. Not as good as 4 though IMO but the music is still pretty great in that they slowed the pace down but it's full of jams.

I've never played an Etrian Odyssey game before, but I'm really digging these tracks. I had no idea that Yuzo Koshiro composed 'em until now either.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

remeez posted:

It's like 80 hours long without doing sidequests

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm playing Valkyrie Profile for the first time and while the combat is pretty cool, the dungeon exploration is hot garbage. I don't feel like I have very good control over Valkyrie at all and she's constantly falling and sliding around when I don't want her to be. Making "open the chest" and "slide" the same button combination with the only different being the exact but imperceptible distance in front of the chest was a really stupid idea, especially when those chests are on narrow ledges above spike filled pits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm playing Valkyrie Profile for the first time and while the combat is pretty cool, the dungeon exploration is hot garbage. I don't feel like I have very good control over Valkyrie at all and she's constantly falling and sliding around when I don't want her to be. Making "open the chest" and "slide" the same button combination with the only different being the exact but imperceptible distance in front of the chest was a really stupid idea, especially when those chests are on narrow ledges above spike filled pits.

But they're not the same button. Opening chests is bound to the action button (X), slide to the jump button(O).

Even if you're talking about picking up the chests, that's just action button near a chest.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 18, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, iunno what you're talking about, I never had problems with the dungeon exploration in VP. None of the puzzles were that complicated, and some of the tricks you could do with the crystal thing were cool. Even in terms of button layout, I never noticed a problem with accidentally throwing/kicking chests instead of opening them. They're different buttons, you just crouch for both. Maybe that's what's tripping you up?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ah, seems I was confusing buttons as I was playing. I thought there was a slide from the action button, but if you crouch and hit it too far from the chest you just swing your sword and nothing happens. I guess what was messing me up was that I was inching towards the chest, crouching and not opening it, inching forward again, and then pressing the wrong button and sliding.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

remeez posted:

Get a boomerang early. Have fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That said, don't get just a boomerang. They're near-useless against bosses.

Anyway, the biggest tip I can think of is to make sure you're actually leveling Eight (the protag)'s Courage skill. Most of the unique skill sets are pretty bad with a few decent skills strewn throughout, but Courage is amazing. I generally go Swords/Boomerangs/Courage with Eight, and feed him all the seeds of skill in the game to support spreading his points out that much.

Oh, and Fisticuffs is absolute garbage for everyone except Yangus. Yangus gets some pretty awesome skills from it, most prominently Thin Air, one of the best multi-damage skills in the game. Jessica and Eight can get it too, but unlike them Yangus's other skill sets are pretty mediocre, and he has the highest strength to make full use of it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 18, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

remeez posted:

You will not get enough skill points to get all the characters' skills. In fact, you won't even get enough to experiment. It's not at all a big deal, but if you want to optimize at all, it's best to invest heavily in Swords and Courage for Hero (you need to max out both to get his strongest move). It's worth consulting a guide to plan in advance how you want to allocate them.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

Oh, and Fisticuffs is absolute garbage for everyone except Yangus. Yangus gets some pretty awesome skills from it, most prominently Thin Air, one of the best multi-damage skills in the game. Jessica and Eight can get it too, but unlike them Yangus's other skill sets are pretty mediocre, and he has the highest strength to make full use of it.

This said, an all Fisticuffs run is silly fun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The other thing you may wish to know before starting DQ8 is the location of the Dragon Quest thread.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

remeez posted:

A lot has been said but I like getting Hero to 100 Swords/Courage to get his signature Slash skill. It's not necessary by any stretch but swords tend to be the boss killer weapons for him and it just helps along that line. Some points in spears to get Lightning Thrust can be good too so you can farm Metal enemies more easily.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

A lot has been said but I like getting Hero to 100 Swords/Courage to get his signature Slash skill. It's not necessary by any stretch but swords tend to be the boss killer weapons for him and it just helps along that line. Some points in spears to get Lightning Thrust can be good too so you can farm Metal enemies more easily.
If you want a skill to kill Metal Slimes with, you can also pump axes for Yangus to get Executioner.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

If you want a skill to kill Metal Slimes with, you can also pump axes for Yangus to get Executioner.

This is also good advice. I play around less with Yangus' skills just due to scarcity so he almost always ends up as an Axes/Humanity focused character for me.

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

Thanks for all the info. I wiped in the first dungeon then went to sleep :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

remeez posted:

Thanks for all the info. I wiped in the first dungeon then went to sleep :kiddo:

One thing I find useful is to explore a region pretty thoroughly before I dive into the objective. It's a dragon quest game, and while less grindy than older ones you still need to stay current with gear/levels. You can find treasure chests hiding on the world map over hills, behind trees, etc. Spend some time striking out and exploring. Make sure you go with supplies and head back before you run dry. I missed if you said you'd played older entries so I apologize if that sounds too obvious.