Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If this is your first Dragon Quest, then here are a few other things to keep in mind:

• Don't try to buy the best gear in every town. It's okay to skip upgrades, and this way you'll have enough money.
  • Status effects, buffs, and debuffs are very effective. Sleep is incredibly useful against random encounters, and most bosses can be made much easier with spells like Sap and Insulatle.
  • Explore thoroughly, not just in towns and dungeons, but also the overworld. There's treasure everywhere, and this will keep you ahead of the EXP curve.
  • Savescum to cheat at roulette... if you dare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remeez posted:

Thanks for all the info. I wiped in the first dungeon then went to sleep :kiddo:
You need to grind for like five minutes to get past the first dungeon, then you're fine from there. No more grinding necessary. It's pretty much a gag based on how old dragon quest played.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
so i just started valkrie profile today and am just about at the end of chapter 1. really great game. is there anything i should know before i get too deep? like if there's anything important i can miss or whatever.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

rediscover posted:

so i just started valkrie profile today and am just about at the end of chapter 1. really great game. is there anything i should know before i get too deep? like if there's anything important i can miss or whatever.

The good ending (read: the only ending that's remotely satisfying or even attempts to tie up plot threads) is basically impossible to get without a guide. Don't feel bad for looking it up.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the plot jumps the shark and the story becomes retarded in the 'good' ending. dont bother.

the only real thing you need to know, is to play the game on hard mode, because it's actually easier, in a better way, and has more content.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GulagDolls posted:

the only real thing you need to know, is to play the game on hard mode, because it's actually easier, in a better way, and has more content.

Buh? Please explain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lotish posted:

Buh? Please explain.

Hard Mode is not significantly harder than Normal Mode but has extra dungeons and special items that unlock bonus items/characters in the post-game bonus dungeon. In fact since you get every character at level 1 it's much easier to min-max them using special items that grant bonus stats on level up.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I wish they would release DQ8 on PSN. They ported it to Android/iOS already.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

FillInTheBlank posted:

I wish they would release DQ8 on PSN. They ported it to Android/iOS already.
You know, the Android/iOS version of FF3 is going up on Steam. Maybe they'll port that DQ8 version too.

If you buy enough copies of FF3 :getin:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's possible. The Android/iOS version uses Unity, so portability isn't a huuuuge undertaking. I'd love a re-release of DQ8 that eliminated the loadtimes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GulagDolls posted:

the plot jumps the shark and the story becomes retarded in the 'good' ending. dont bother.

Hey, I like the plot of VP1 well enough. Pretty much anything is better than leading off with "We need to prepare to beat this guy!", spending an entire game farting around with plot-irrelevant nonsense, and then ending with you beating that guy who has had all of 2 seconds of screentime. It's the height of :effort:.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

You need to grind for like five minutes to get past the first dungeon, then you're fine from there. No more grinding necessary. It's pretty much a gag based on how old dragon quest played.

I wouldn't even say you have to grind exactly, just exploring the nearby region is enough to level you up for the dungeon.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Hey, I like the plot of VP1 well enough. Pretty much anything is better than leading off with "We need to prepare to beat this guy!", spending an entire game farting around with plot-irrelevant nonsense, and then ending with you beating that guy who has had all of 2 seconds of screentime. It's the height of :effort:.

the canon ending is the one where freya spanks you

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

remeez posted:

I'm about to start DQ8 is there anything I should know going in?

Get the boomerang for the hero and put everything towards it. Bosses are easy. You might not be as effective against bosses but the game will be so much more enjoyable when there's no random battles that will ever take you more than 2 rounds. There are a TON of random battles. I would say this is the most important thing to know to enjoy the game. You seriously do not want to be spending > 2 rounds on random battles, which you probably will with a sword.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Has anyone played Conception 2? How is it?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The worst possible garbage. I assumed I'd love it as a guilty pleasure since I tend to like things with eugenics mechanics and it's not like I've never played a sleazy anime JRPG before, but the whole thing is both tedious and unfun.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Kild posted:

There's a demo out, so you can try it yourself, but I'll just add that it made me roll my eyes enough to make myself dizzy.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kild posted:

Not even good as shock value. It's just a completely bland, uninteresting game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I thought it wasn't the worst game ever, but it was kinda eh. There are a couple of interesting things in there, but for the most part it was fairly bog standard.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Get the boomerang for the hero and put everything towards it. Bosses are easy. You might not be as effective against bosses but the game will be so much more enjoyable when there's no random battles that will ever take you more than 2 rounds. There are a TON of random battles. I would say this is the most important thing to know to enjoy the game. You seriously do not want to be spending > 2 rounds on random battles, which you probably will with a sword.

There's no reason you can't just ignore the Boomerang skill tree and just swap weapons around as needed. Or better yet, only put enough points in Boomerang for the Power Throw or whatever that does full damage to everything. IIRC the Boomerang skillset mostly has crappy gimmick skills anyway, so investing points unless you're specifically gunning for the one or two good ones seems like a waste, compared to Swords where you get mostly good skills, let along Courage.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kild posted:

Dumb eye rolling stuff aside, it's a game that has a lot of needlessly complex mechanics that you you will never have to use because the game is so easy and boring. If you're really starving for JRPGs then pick it up cheap down the line but otherwise avoid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Some of the bosses can actually be pretty tough if you aren't overleveled, and the hero can still use boomerangs even without pumping all his points into it. This is Bad Advice.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Last Celebration posted:

I wouldn't even say you have to grind exactly, just exploring the nearby region is enough to level you up for the dungeon.

There are a few places where a new player might have to grind. The Darkness Ruins are notoriously difficult for people who don't have the party heal unlocked, but you are given the opportunity to explore the world beforehand so it's pretty easy to get there. I found the final dungeon a bit of a chore as well without a few extra levels. Other than that, DQ8 seems a bit easier than, say DQ7 which felt like an exercise in resource management half the time.

Endorph posted:

Some of the bosses can actually be pretty tough if you aren't overleveled, and the hero can still use boomerangs even without pumping all his points into it. This is Bad Advice.

Seconding this. Boomerangs are absolute shite against bosses. They might do in ten rounds what a sword can do in one. A Swords/Axes/Whips/Bows party seems to be pretty fast and effective and you can always use a boomerang with zero points to great effect, just like Endorph said.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Have there been any remakes at all of DQ7?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

The 3DS version which is apparently DoA here in the West. Looked pretty goddamned amazing too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea4Tjie4ZiM

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Can you believe the three main reasons I got a 3DS were because of DQ7, SMT IV and Rune Factory 4? And I live in Europe.

I thought this kind of thing stopped towards the end of the PS2/Cube/original Xbox era.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

At least we got Phoenix Wright vs. Layton. My 3DS is US because at the time we didn't know if we were getting EO4, and now I'm stuck wanting to play it. :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Can you believe the three main reasons I got a 3DS were because of DQ7, SMT IV and Rune Factory 4? And I live in Europe.

I thought this kind of thing stopped towards the end of the PS2/Cube/original Xbox era.

Oh, hello me. :suicide:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh, hello me. :suicide:

I got one for Christmas thinking I could play Fire Emblem until Rune Factory 4 and SMT 4 came out in Europe :negative:

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
So, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. Just got done beating the final boss and getting ready now to tackle the bonus dungeon Seraphic Gate.

Anything I should do before I go in there?

Also, not very amused with getting all 3 valkyries on the team right at the start of the last dungeon, only to have them all taken away permanently like 3/4ths of the way through. Would've been nice to have gotten a heads-up before I pissed a bunch of stat-ups away on them. Seriously, what was even the point of tossing them on us if they were gonna get shanghai'ed like an hour later?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just head right into the gate. It's pretty hard if you aren't used to breaking the game over your knee, but it's better to find where you're having trouble and adapt than to try to overprepare ahead of time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shark Tower posted:

So, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. Just got done beating the final boss and getting ready now to tackle the bonus dungeon Seraphic Gate.

Anything I should do before I go in there?

Also, not very amused with getting all 3 valkyries on the team right at the start of the last dungeon, only to have them all taken away permanently like 3/4ths of the way through. Would've been nice to have gotten a heads-up before I pissed a bunch of stat-ups away on them. Seriously, what was even the point of tossing them on us if they were gonna get shanghai'ed like an hour later?

You get 'em all back in the Seraphic Gate.

The best tip for the Seraphic Gate is to get the "break on critical" skill onto Rufus and equip Blue Gale. This lets you trivialize a good chunk of the enemies.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Just picked up Suikoden Tactics. Planning on playing Suikoden 1, 2, and Tactics this summer.

What are some good, relatively common PS2 or psx RPGs out there I may have missed back in the day?

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

Just picked up Suikoden Tactics. Planning on playing Suikoden 1, 2, and Tactics this summer.

What are some good, relatively common PS2 or psx RPGs out there I may have missed back in the day?

Vandal Hearts is my favorite game ever. I hope this screenshot helps it become your favorite game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

I guess it's worth mentioning that Suikoden Tactics is a spinoff of Suikoden IV, including having save data carry over. Suikoden IV is a very bad game but it's worth mentioning that you'll miss content (although not much.)

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

remeez posted:

Vandal Hearts is my favorite game ever. I hope this screenshot helps it become your favorite game.

It's just not the same without the fountain of blood animation and gushing sound effect.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

remeez posted:

I did like that skeletons apparently contained firehose pressure blood.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is this Mugen Souls Z game coming out worth looking into? Or is it just another piece of poo poo that NIS america is bringing over for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is this Mugen Souls Z game coming out worth looking into? Or is it just another piece of poo poo that NIS america is bringing over for some reason.

Jesus Christ no.

One of the gameplay mechanics is literally "moe fetish." That is the actual loving mechanic name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I saw that it was an RPG and anime so I assumed it was going to be dumb but uh. Well. I guess I'm happy I didn't bother looking up gameplay footage before asking now.