Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

They also didnt pay ridiculous sums for world cup rights to have it not be the centre attraction of the summer and instead compete with loads of other sport.

Serious question: what other sports are in Asia? While the American market is obviously flooded with tons of others and we have rugby we all know the money is with the Asians. When's the cricket season for example?

I guess the Japanese have base ball and the Chinese basketball right? Do they watch MLB, NFL, and NBA at close try what the watch football?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

If suprised the countries who failed in their 2022 bids havent made more of a fuss.

Qatar was one of the only bids with major technical issues highlighted and their bid was awarded on the basiss that:
  • They would have air conditioned stadiums
  • The world cup would be held in summer
  • They would build 12 stadiums that would then be donated to poorer nations

The first was a complete lie, they are lobbying for it to be moved and they've now said they're only actually building 8. There was already a ton of poo poo they were allowed to get away with like having more then 2 stadiums in a city not to mention their appalling human rights record. On top of the that the president of FIFA has said it was a partly political decision and now said it was a mistake. Australia, the US, japan and south korea should sue the gently caress out of them.

Because every nation wants to hold a world cup some day and kicking up a fuss is a surefire way to guarantee you will not get one.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Modus Trollens posted:

Serious question: what other sports are in Asia? While the American market is obviously flooded with tons of others and we have rugby we all know the money is with the Asians. When's the cricket season for example?

I guess the Japanese have base ball and the Chinese basketball right? Do they watch MLB, NFL, and NBA at close try what the watch football?

Moving the world cup to Jan would put it smack dab in the middle of the sub continents cricket season. Wouldnt really affect China/Korea/Japan though.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Modus Trollens posted:

There's cricket in India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan. Baseball is popular in Japan and Taiwan in the northern summer. China loves basketball but that's played over the northern winter. The Philippines is obsessed with basketball. That's about all I think of for standard sports.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
The Chinese love a bit of snooker

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Blue Screen Error posted:

The Chinese love a bit of snooker
And executions

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Eau de MacGowan posted:

thats why you rig up your tv outside and chill w/ brews in the sun watching the might of Chad take on East Timor, or go to a bar and sit in the beer garden and do the same

Well personally, i'd rather be fishing, or swimming, or laying poolside, reading US Weekly, or doing literally anything else at that time. Because on the west coast all the games are from like 8 am to 3 pm and it wastes your whole day.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

vaginal culture posted:

Well personally, i'd rather be fishing, or swimming, or laying poolside, reading US Weekly, or doing literally anything else at that time. Because on the west coast all the games are from like 8 am to 3 pm and it wastes your whole day.

Good thing you don't own a TV then.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can't you watch it on your phone or something.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

If suprised the countries who failed in their 2022 bids havent made more of a fuss.

Qatar was one of the only bids with major technical issues highlighted and their bid was awarded on the basiss that:
  • They would have air conditioned stadiums
  • The world cup would be held in summer
  • They would build 12 stadiums that would then be donated to poorer nations

The first was a complete lie, they are lobbying for it to be moved and they've now said they're only actually building 8. There was already a ton of poo poo they were allowed to get away with like having more then 2 stadiums in a city not to mention their appalling human rights record. On top of the that the president of FIFA has said it was a partly political decision and now said it was a mistake. Australia, the US, japan and south korea should sue the gently caress out of them.

In what court could the US/Australia/Japan/South Korea actually sue Qatar? Countries can't sue each other.

The ICC doesn't count because that's not what it's for.

Modus Trollens posted:

January is American Football playoffs so FOX/ESPN/NBC/whoever the hell has World Cup rights is going to be pissed as hell. The first Sunday in February is usually the Super Bowl, which if the tournament starts in January should be right about when the World Cup Final would happen. I cannot imagine the shitstorm that would happen here if the Super Bowl and World Cup Final were scheduled on the same day. Not that American opinions really matter in soccer, but the networks here pay a huge amount of money for the broadcast rights and they would be furious if two events were competing against each other. Even more so if the same network was carrying both the Super Bowl and World Cup Finals.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 19, 2014

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

axeil posted:

In what court could the US/Australia/Japan/South Korea actually sue Qatar? Countries can't sue each other.

The ICC doesn't count because that's not what it's for.

You could sue the FIFA in Switzerland.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ephex posted:

You could sue the FIFA in Switzerland.

Ah that's a good point. Suing Qatar would be stupid, but suing FIFA might actually accomplish something. I mean, not that they'll win because FIFA is untouchable but at least its plausible in theory.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

The list of demands from FIFA to host countries makes even Mariah Carey blush and it just keeps getting longer so I doubt we'll get anyone but shady countries hosting the World Cup.

Remember FIFA demands full tax exemption for FIFA and people involved in hosting and staging the World Cup (for 5 years, including delegates, players, refs etc).

e: FIFA also wants the Brazil laws changed to make "ambush marketing" a crime punishable by up to a year in prison lol

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

axeil posted:

January is American Football playoffs so FOX/ESPN/NBC/whoever the hell has World Cup rights is going to be pissed as hell. The first Sunday in February is usually the Super Bowl, which if the tournament starts in January should be right about when the World Cup Final would happen. I cannot imagine the shitstorm that would happen here if the Super Bowl and World Cup Final were scheduled on the same day. Not that American opinions really matter in soccer, but the networks here pay a huge amount of money for the broadcast rights and they would be furious if two events were competing against each other. Even more so if the same network was carrying both the Super Bowl and World Cup Finals.
It's also the middle of the NBA season and the major college football bowl games as well as the new CFB playoffs take place during the first two weeks of January. Those events could chip away a bit at viewership.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Do it in February like the Winter Olympics. Perfect time to be TV viewing.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

vaginal culture posted:

Do it in February like the Winter Olympics. Perfect time to be TV viewing.

Lol it's going to clash with the winter Olympics isn't it

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Modus Trollens posted:

No because the winter olympics are on a different cycle so they are 2 years before and after, have all the leagues do a winter break and play the world cup then, fully sick, players are in midseason form, healthy, rested. tight.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

vaginal culture posted:

No because the winter olympics are on a different cycle so they are 2 years before and after, have all the leagues do a winter break and play the world cup then, fully sick, players are in midseason form, healthy, rested. tight.

The Winter Olympics occur the same year the World Cup does (2014, 2010, 2006, etc). Euro Cup occur the same year as the Summer Olympics (2012, 2008, 2004, etc). This has never been a problem because the Summer Olympics are in the last summer while Euro Cup is in early summer and the World Cup happens in the summer while the Winter Olympics happen in, ya know, the winter.

Moving the Qatar World Cup to the winter would create a very high chance of conflict since they both would be trying to use the January/February period.

edit: Also, the NHL hates Olympic hockey screwing up every 4th season. I believe this year was the last year they're actually stopping the season during the Olympics because its such a disruption. I can't imagine all the European leagues are going to be happy about shutting down during the middle of their seasons either.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 19, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Modus Trollens posted:

who watches this

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

axeil posted:

The Winter Olympics occur the same year the World Cup does (2014, 2010, 2006, etc). Euro Cup occur the same year as the Summer Olympics (2012, 2008, 2004, etc). This has never been a problem because the Summer Olympics are in the last summer while Euro Cup is in early summer and the World Cup happens in the summer while the Winter Olympics happen in, ya know, the winter.

Moving the Qatar World Cup to the winter would create a very high chance of conflict since they both would be trying to use the January/February period.

edit: Also, the NHL hates Olympic hockey screwing up every 4th season. I believe this year was the last year they're actually stopping the season during the Olympics because its such a disruption. I can't imagine all the European leagues are going to be happy about shutting down during the middle of their seasons either.

Oh yeah my bad. The NHL is retarded btw and basically a history of bad decisions, but that's neither here nor there.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Hegay posted:

e: FIFA also wants the Brazil laws changed to make "ambush marketing" a crime punishable by up to a year in prison lol

I just read an article on this and I'm mad as hell

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Kurtofan posted:

who watches this

Americans until their Ice Hockey team loses

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hegay posted:

Care to explain what "ambush marketing" is? Is this like how in 2010 they didn't allow local vendors outside stadiums because "are brand partners"?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Care to explain what "ambush marketing" is? Is this like how in 2010 they didn't allow local vendors outside stadiums because "are brand partners"?
If some betting company paid 10 people to wear shirts with a letter on them and then stand together so it said PADDYPOWER

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Americans until their Ice Hockey team loses
Everybody in Canada. Water usage across the entire country literally spikes due to the flushing of toilets during the between-period intermissions of men's and women's ice hockey games.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Peanut President posted:

Like when paddy power paid bendtner to put their logo on his pants

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Or when Bavaria put orange lederhosen in cases of beer in the Netherlands and then all the people who tried to wear them to the matches in Germany 06 had their clothes confiscated.

Ed: and weren't some models arrested in South Africa for all wearing orange dresses and sitting in the front row or something?

greazeball fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 19, 2014

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Like when paddy power paid bendtner to put their logo on his pants
And Bendtner got fined more than most FA's and clubs do when their fans throw bananas on the pitch or do monkey chants.

EDIT: £80,000 and a one-game ban.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 19, 2014

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I think FIFA might be really corrupt guys

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Hegay posted:

The list of demands from FIFA to host countries makes even Mariah Carey blush and it just keeps getting longer so I doubt we'll get anyone but shady countries hosting the World Cup.

Remember FIFA demands full tax exemption for FIFA and people involved in hosting and staging the World Cup (for 5 years, including delegates, players, refs etc).

The list of demands has been in place for a while, and it didn't stop Australia, Japan and the US from entering bids. Do you really think that the US would have turned down the World Cup if they had managed to win the bid?

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Crazy Ted posted:

And Bendtner got fined more than most FA's and clubs do when their fans throw bananas on the pitch or do monkey chants.

EDIT: £80,000 and a one-game ban.

I know he got fined for that, but banned too? What the christ?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

joepinetree posted:

The list of demands has been in place for a while, and it didn't stop Australia, Japan and the US from entering bids. Do you really think that the US would have turned down the World Cup if they had managed to win the bid?

The US loves to bend over for corporations

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What country doesn't? wake up sheeple

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Well, if FIFA decided to get real cocky and ask the U.S. to temporarily suspend parts of its constitution like it did with South Africa such a situation would likely happen.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
If the World Cup is actually held in winter in Qatar the Olympics would be a much bigger conflict than the SuperBowl. I'm fairly certain that WC games wouldn't directly be going up against American sports anyways because of the time difference. It is definitely a terrible idea. With any luck, the conflict will somehow lead FIFA and the IOC to destroy each other, but with the way things are going they'll probably merge into an ultra-corrupt sports regime.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
There are only two solutions to the World Cup problem, either stop watching international games and hit FIFA in the only place it hurts or have a World War to determine a winner, seeing how we haven't had one in a while and resort to watching sports for our hegemonic fix.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Funky Koval posted:

There are only two solutions to the World Cup problem, either stop watching international games and hit FIFA in the only place it hurts or have a World War to determine a winner, seeing how we haven't had one in a while and resort to watching sports for our hegemonic fix.
Teach everyone how to watch every World Cup game via questionable streaming sites.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Food Court Druid posted:

If the World Cup is actually held in winter in Qatar the Olympics would be a much bigger conflict than the SuperBowl. I'm fairly certain that WC games wouldn't directly be going up against American sports anyways because of the time difference. It is definitely a terrible idea. With any luck, the conflict will somehow lead FIFA and the IOC to destroy each other, but with the way things are going they'll probably merge into an ultra-corrupt sports regime.

Who has the Winter Olympics in 2022 anyway? Have they even awarded that one yet?

Funky Koval posted:

have a World War to determine a winner, seeing how we haven't had one in a while and resort to watching sports for our hegemonic fix.

So the United States can finally get their first World Cup win? Be careful what you wish for.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

axeil posted:

Who has the Winter Olympics in 2022 anyway? Have they even awarded that one yet?
No. Competition's between a bunch of European cities and Beijing IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Funky Koval posted:

United States World Cup winners 2014, 2018, 2022, 2026, 2030, 2034 take that Brazil