Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

But the pyromancy flame is in a chest after you beat the Flexile Sentry?

There's a dark pyromancy flame down the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Kaldaris posted:

The Heide Sword is technically better if only because it has better scaling IIRC.

The problem is, scaling is terrible, especially early in the game. The Heide Knight Sword has C/C for STR/DEX, meaning below 30 STR/DEX, each point in those stats adds 1 damage to the sword per swing. Hardly a worthwhile investment, when you can upgrade it for a few hundred souls and a shard and get something like +12 damage per level. Basically, base damage and weapon upgrades matter much more early in the game when your stats are low, and the Fire Longsword wins here.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Blue Sentinel Rank 2 get. I am now, in fact, grossly incandescent (when summoned or invading as a blue phantom).

Shame rank 3 is somewhere between implausible and impossible.

Good thing that all of the rank 3 rewards are obtainable elsewhere, I guess.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The problem is, scaling is terrible, especially early in the game. The Heide Knight Sword has C/C for STR/DEX, meaning below 30 STR/DEX, each point in those stats adds 1 damage to the sword per swing. Hardly a worthwhile investment, when you can upgrade it for a few hundred souls and a shard and get something like +12 damage per level. Basically, base damage and weapon upgrades matter much more early in the game when your stats are low, and the Fire Longsword wins here.

Having had both of them at similar levels throughout my first game, it seemed like the Heide Knight sword was doing damage to most enemies simply because it's lightning instead of fire. And everything that the fire longsword would've done more damage to took even more damage from a regular mace.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not a false dichotomy, your just stuck in a mentality where gameplay has to always be fun in the traditional sense. Gameplay wise, the fight is designed so that he resembles a giant hollow soldier. This is an intentional choice. Its supposed to remind you of fighting them because it reinforces what Vendrick has become. If he had been fought another way it wouldn't of sold the scene as well. The only problem is he has too much health. Other than that the fight is perfectly fine. They didn't ignore gameplay, they used a specific kind of gameplay to tell the story. If they weren't doing that then Vendrick probably would of been more like Gwyn, which might be more fun to fight but would ruin his story and what makes the encounter unique.

Ancient Dragon is the boss that has no excuse for how loving abysmally terrible it is. That is the boss they put zero effort into.

This all reads to me like poo poo you made up/rationalized after the fact to justify things to yourself, to me. Because you want to like it and with gamers that is usually enough to justify anything.

The hell does "fun in the traditional sense" even mean? Is that a sentence that actually says anything? Cool, he resembles a giant hollow soldier and he uses like three moves over and over again because he's ~super hollow~. That doesn't make the fight any more fun. Fun in the "traditional sense" I suppose? If only I wasn't stuck in the hidebound tradition of expecting a fight to not have one incredibly boring correct strategy. Curse my outdated borderline Amish definition of fun!

Or maybe Vendrick could have had a more interesting moveset that still sold his devolved mental state. Maaaybe that's still a thing they could have done without detracting from the themes at play.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

It happens if you light a torch too!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Okay look, about Vendrick, I think the thing that's missing here is that "fun" is just part of what makes something "good". More fun tends to mean more good, but a fight can be good without being fun - if you're the kind of person who values things other than fun in a boss, and those things are present, like story considerations. It's not wrong to value things differently. To some people, the things other than fun that contribute to the good-ness of the Vendrick aren't valued enough to make the fight feel good. For others, it is. That about right?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

onward into adventure :shepface:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kaldaris posted:

With full HP I can survive a hit. But that's not the point. There's a ton of people that fight him as mages, dex builds, etc, etc. You name it-- and their Defense isn't the greatest either.

He does a lot of damage. How he attacks isn't the point. The point is the basic mechanic of the fight is kind of dull.

Being a mage or dex build does not stop you from putting points into vigor and you don't exactly need Havel's to eat a hit and live. On my first run I had 20 vigor and a hodgepodge of armor I thought looked cool and I could take a hit without dying (was left with around a quarter health). And I'm not arguing it isn't dull (because it is), I'm saying it's by no means a no mistake fight. It's really quite forgiving actually because of how slow and unwilling he is to attack.

Kaldaris posted:

This is just flat out wrong. One of the things I noticed is that almost all of the bosses in this game have a ton of different moves. Though with some of them their AI gets stuck repeating the same one over and over. Freja is a good example, she never stops spamming her laser if you back off more than 5 feet.

Vendrick has three moves. Smash, sweep, leap. He can do the first two twice in a row sometimes.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jordbo posted:

Speaking of the Fire Longsword, is anyone else seeing loads of petrified players around that area? Is that a NG+ thing or something? Because none of the enemies there seem to petrify, obviously.

Basilisks now petrify instead of cursing, as do those mummies with the yellow tummies.

edit: im dum and misread things. There's nothing in NG+ there that petrifies, so I think it's just a scenery thing.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 26, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

it happens when you light a torch too

edit: beaten but yeah

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

This all reads to me like poo poo you made up/rationalized after the fact to justify things to yourself, to me. Because you want to like it and with gamers that is usually enough to justify anything.

:lol: What the gently caress are you babbling about?

I don't have to force myself to like anything and doing that doesn't make any sense. There are plenty of things I like about this game, and plenty that I hate. Vendrick isn't one of the things I hate because its a very well done scene. I specifically mentioned Ancient Dragon being an absolutely vile piece of game design right after so its not like I'm pretending DS 2 is perfect.

quote:

The hell does "fun in the traditional sense" even mean? Is that a sentence that actually says anything? Cool, he resembles a giant hollow soldier and he uses like three moves over and over again because he's ~super hollow~. That doesn't make the fight any more fun. Fun in the "traditional sense" I suppose? If only I wasn't stuck in the hidebound tradition of expecting a fight to not have one incredibly boring correct strategy. Curse my outdated borderline Amish definition of fun!

Yes it does, and if you stopped to read all the posts about this you'd realize what I'm talking about. Its not a fun fight mechanically because Vendrick is just an oversized trash mob. However, the story surrounding the fight makes it a very memorable experience. So while its not a fun fight mechanically, its still enjoyable because of the experience. Now if you don't give a drat about the story and just care about the gameplay then yeah its a lovely fight, but its also a completely optional one.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Vendrick has three moves. Smash, sweep, leap. He can do the first two twice in a row sometimes.

I was not talking about Vendrick, obviously.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
I've killed vendrick with 3 souls without hugging his leg, his attacks are amazingly easy to dodge through and that fight was the only time I've seen him use a ranged attack and what I thought looked like a grab that didn't hit me.

It's pretty funny when someone uses the uber strat without ever trying to legit fight something then complain how it's a terrible fight. No loving kidding it's bad, you are using a strat that completely neuters him. It certainly isn't the most fun fight in the game but I really loved the atmosphere of it and fighting him legit is pretty awesome as you really gotta be on your game.

As mentioned though, there is really no excuse for the ancient dragon, it takes all the things people complain about on Vendrick and boosts them into overdrive and without the story feels to go along with it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only way to make strong magic shield last longer is the lingering dragoncrest ring right? 30 seconds isn't a lot of time, and another 15% on that isn't that great either. Though I guess now that I'm pumping faith even higher in ng+ I could just use great magic barrier.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Internet Kraken posted:

your just stuck in a mentality where gameplay has to always be fun in the traditional sense.

Most "fun" part of the game was exploring the intratextuality of the left buttcheek motif in Dark Souls 2 imo. Lotta posters itt are pretty bourgeois though, might not get it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes it does, and if you stopped to read all the posts about this you'd realize what I'm talking about. Its not a fun fight mechanically because Vendrick is just an oversized trash mob. However, the story surrounding the fight makes it a very memorable experience. So while its not a fun fight mechanically, its still enjoyable because of the experience. Now if you don't give a drat about the story and just care about the gameplay then yeah its a lovely fight, but its also a completely optional one.

So we're back to claiming the mutual exclusivity of fun gameplay and good storytelling. Smashing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

So we're back to claiming the mutual exclusivity of fun gameplay and good storytelling. Smashing.

No, but you're intentionally missing the point so I'm just going to stop arguing with you. People have written tons of words about this over the past few pages, everything you said gets answered by them. If you actually care then go read them.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Most "fun" part of the game was exploring the intratextuality of the left buttcheek motif in Dark Souls 2 imo. Lotta posters itt are pretty bourgeois though, might not get it.

Yeah it sure would be silly if I said that. Good thing I didn't.

VVV No really, if you actually care and aren't arguing for the sake of it, go read the last few pages. Because everything you're saying has already been addressed.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 26, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

No, but you're intentionally missing the point so I'm just going to stop arguing with you. People have written tons of words about this over the past few pages, everything you said gets answered by them. If you actually care then go read them.

Yeah it sure would be silly if I said that. Good thing I didn't.

I will put more points in END so I can chase those shifting goalposts in the future.

breadcat
Nov 10, 2004
Vendrick's fight has roughly the same story as Gwyns, except Gwyn wasn't the laziest designed boss fight possible.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I decided to play DS2 again and wanted to give myself a challenge. I ended up going with a punchyfist run and its the most fun I've had so far.

Also, the power stance for fist weapons is awesome.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I really liked the moment of meeting Vendrick but they could've made the fight fun too and had it be just as meaningful v:shobon:v

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

breadcat posted:

Vendrick's fight has roughly the same story as Gwyns, except Gwyn wasn't the laziest designed boss fight possible.

Gwyn was actually worse because you could just stand still, wait for him to walk over and then parry him over and over until he died. False King could be killed with Poison Cloud and if you were in soul form and wore the ring that made you harder to see you could just stand on the stairs and spam poison over and over until he fell over without ever having the fight start for real. Old King Doran was the same.

Nashandra and Vendrick are incredibly easy but at least FROM learned one lesson from the old games: don't give people a way to not fight your loving end/optional bosses and still win. Those older bosses were way more fun to fight straight up but you didn't have to if you were feeling lazy/scared.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

it took me forever to figure out why I was suddenly exploding in No Man's Wharf the first time through. :(

For me it was "what are these vikings throwing at me? I'd better light my torch so I can s-:supaburn:"

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Fun fact, you can roll into the water to immediately clean yourself off of that tar.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nalesh posted:

That loving jump to the manikins with claws will be the end of me.

I had problems with this all last night. Make sure you plunge attack right when you're over the platform so you won't roll off it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I could take 2 hits from Vendrick. Guess you guys are pussies.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Luisfe posted:

Honestly, I really like how they contrast the giants in defeat and Vendrick in victory.
Vendrick has what effectively is eternal life, but he loses himself, and he loses all his memories, while the giants, even in death are imposing trees, but more importantly, they retain their memories and what they were even after dying.

Maybe that is also why Aldia experimented on them a whole lot? Their memories have permanence, while all the Undeads just fade away in time.

Not really.

What's going on is that the Giants are so angry in defeat that they cannot rest in peace.

Contrast this to the giant who gives you the Seed: he rests in peace, and you inexplicably cannot access his memory.

Only sheer hate has permanence apparently.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
While fighting the post-Smelter Pursuer I saw him use an attack I hadn't seen before, a rapier-esque thrust combo. It seems like a lot of the 'boring' bosses have really rare attacks that probably should've come out much more often.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I enjoy the debates in this thread, the dependence on angry sarcasm is a valuable addition to game critique that adds lot of entertainment value, thank you all for giving me many hearty laughs

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

PublicOpinion posted:

While fighting the post-Smelter Pursuer I saw him use an attack I hadn't seen before, a rapier-esque thrust combo. It seems like a lot of the 'boring' bosses have really rare attacks that probably should've come out much more often.

Kind of like the Belfry Gargoyles lightning attack that I never would have known existed, much less believe existed, if it wasn't corroborated on wikis?

Similarly, the Tseldora area has a surprise on NG+ that really should have been in NG. It's way more atmospheric and interesting with the NG+ gimmick :(

Said gimmick is that Freja doesn't wait until the boss room to say hi :unsmigghh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is it me or is the Iron Keep bridge the laggiest area in the game? I don't have nearly as much trouble in the belfries or arenas.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Is it me or is the Iron Keep bridge the laggiest area in the game? I don't have nearly as much trouble in the belfries or arenas.

for me it's the opposite, I tend to get much more low latency matchups there than I do at the Belfries and especially the arenas.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Vendrick is a bad boss fight. Hope this helps

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Nalesh posted:

That loving jump to the manikins with claws will be the end of me.

On the brightside, by the time you get both claws you will be an old pro at it. I had much more success jumping from the platform with the black mushroom on it, as opposed to from the top level if that makes any difference for you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you just roll onto that platform instead of jumping its a lot easier to make it.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
I seem to have run into the bug which causes Cale to not show up in the basement of the mansion in Majula. The various wikis say burning an ascetic and re-killing the skeletons might make him show up, but it hasn't worked after three of them. Am I just screwed out of Navlaan's stuff?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gaggins posted:

Please try it and tell me how it goes, I've got a char in the same situation and wondered the same thing.

Actually since I just flipped my game into NG+ it's going to be a while before I get MacDuff off his lazy rear end, which is why I was asking. If I make it there before anyone else comes up with an answer I'll let you know!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Weird Corpse Committee checking in with our Monday report:

And my favorite:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
The hell is the deal with Blue Flame and its infusions? Why do Bleed and Poison give more damage while Magic gives less?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Cryohazard posted:

The hell is the deal with Blue Flame and its infusions? Why do Bleed and Poison give more damage while Magic gives less?

Some weapons just have really strange effects on infusion. Also, Magic buffs the hell out of its magic scaling, and if the Blue Flame is like some others, the benefit from increased scaling should more than offset the lower base. It's so that investing highly in the stat means the specialized infusions are more effective than simply going +10/+5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cryohazard posted:

:darksouls:?

I got nothin'.